Links in TB - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Links in TB - Mozilla ; I am using version 2.0.0.14 (20080421). Can THUNDERBIRD be configured to have THEIR live links turn color when they are activated? TIA, Dan...

  1. Links in TB

    I am using version 2.0.0.14 (20080421).

    Can THUNDERBIRD be configured to have THEIR live links
    turn color when they are activated?

    TIA,

    Dan

  2. Re: Links in TB

    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by their live links... but the
    colours of links in messages can be modified by going to the advanced
    config editor.

    Tools --> Options --> Advanced Section --> General Tab --> Config Editor

    In the search line type links. The three properties you should be
    looking for are: editor.active_link_color, editor.followed_link_color,
    editor.link_color

    --M

    Dan C wrote:
    > I am using version 2.0.0.14 (20080421).
    >
    > Can THUNDERBIRD be configured to have THEIR live links turn color when
    > they are activated?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Dan

  3. Re: Links in TB

    Michael Sullivan wrote with clarity and wisdom:
    > I'm not exactly sure what you mean by their live links... but the
    > colours of links in messages can be modified by going to the advanced
    > config editor.
    >
    > Tools --> Options --> Advanced Section --> General Tab --> Config Editor
    >
    > In the search line type links. The three properties you should be
    > looking for are: editor.active_link_color, editor.followed_link_color,
    > editor.link_color
    >
    > --M
    >
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> I am using version 2.0.0.14 (20080421).
    >>
    >> Can THUNDERBIRD be configured to have THEIR live links turn color when
    >> they are activated?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Dan

    M,

    You know how FF can be configured so that when a link in a
    web page is visited it changes color like from green to
    red. I want to do the same thing in TB when an url in an
    email is visited it too changes color. I looked at the
    config references above, and each has a different color
    value, and before I start messing around with them, I want
    to be on the correct path.

    Dan

  4. Re: Links in TB

    Ok, so here is what these are supposed to mean:

    editor.active_link_color = when you are actively clicking on the link

    editor.followed_link_color = when you have clicked and let go of the
    link (essentially when you have visited the link) -- red or in RGB #FF0000

    editor.link_color = when the link hasn't been clicked on -- blue or in
    RGB format #0000FF

    I have tested this out a little bit and it seems red is the active
    colour and the followed colour does nothing, or something is a little
    off. :S

    --Michael

    Dan C wrote:
    > Michael Sullivan wrote with clarity and wisdom:
    >> I'm not exactly sure what you mean by their live links... but the
    >> colours of links in messages can be modified by going to the advanced
    >> config editor.
    >>
    >> Tools --> Options --> Advanced Section --> General Tab --> Config Editor
    >>
    >> In the search line type links. The three properties you should be
    >> looking for are: editor.active_link_color, editor.followed_link_color,
    >> editor.link_color
    >>
    >> --M
    >>
    >> Dan C wrote:
    >>> I am using version 2.0.0.14 (20080421).
    >>>
    >>> Can THUNDERBIRD be configured to have THEIR live links turn color
    >>> when they are activated?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>>
    >>> Dan

    > M,
    >
    > You know how FF can be configured so that when a link in a web page is
    > visited it changes color like from green to red. I want to do the same
    > thing in TB when an url in an email is visited it too changes color. I
    > looked at the config references above, and each has a different color
    > value, and before I start messing around with them, I want to be on the
    > correct path.
    >
    > Dan

  5. Re: Links in TB

    Michael Sullivan wrote with clarity and wisdom:
    > Ok, so here is what these are supposed to mean:
    >
    > editor.active_link_color = when you are actively clicking on the link
    >
    > editor.followed_link_color = when you have clicked and let go of the
    > link (essentially when you have visited the link) -- red or in RGB #FF0000
    >
    > editor.link_color = when the link hasn't been clicked on -- blue or in
    > RGB format #0000FF
    >
    > I have tested this out a little bit and it seems red is the active
    > colour and the followed colour does nothing, or something is a little
    > off. :S
    >
    > --Michael

    I have always found that hovering over the link in TB
    changes the color from blue to red. But the color reverts
    to the original blue after that click and after the cursor
    is moved away which is what I think you are stating in
    your last point. I want the followed link to stay a
    changed color. The way it is now, the only good it does
    is to indicate that the text is in fact an executable link.

    Is there a string that can be added to accomplish this?

    Dan

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> Michael Sullivan wrote with clarity and wisdom:
    >>> I'm not exactly sure what you mean by their live links... but the
    >>> colours of links in messages can be modified by going to the advanced
    >>> config editor.
    >>>
    >>> Tools --> Options --> Advanced Section --> General Tab --> Config Editor
    >>>
    >>> In the search line type links. The three properties you should be
    >>> looking for are: editor.active_link_color,
    >>> editor.followed_link_color, editor.link_color
    >>>
    >>> --M

    >> M,
    >>
    >> You know how FF can be configured so that when a link in a web page is
    >> visited it changes color like from green to red. I want to do the
    >> same thing in TB when an url in an email is visited it too changes
    >> color. I looked at the config references above, and each has a
    >> different color value, and before I start messing around with them, I
    >> want to be on the correct path.
    >>
    >> Dan

  6. Re: Links in TB

    Dan C wrote:
    > Michael Sullivan wrote with clarity and wisdom:
    >> I'm not exactly sure what you mean by their live links... but the
    >> colours of links in messages can be modified by going to the advanced
    >> config editor.
    >>
    >> Tools --> Options --> Advanced Section --> General Tab --> Config Editor
    >>
    >> In the search line type links. The three properties you should be
    >> looking for are: editor.active_link_color, editor.followed_link_color,
    >> editor.link_color
    >>
    >> --M
    >>
    >> Dan C wrote:
    >>> I am using version 2.0.0.14 (20080421).
    >>>
    >>> Can THUNDERBIRD be configured to have THEIR live links turn color when
    >>> they are activated?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>>
    >>> Dan

    > M,
    >
    > You know how FF can be configured so that when a link in a
    > web page is visited it changes color like from green to
    > red. I want to do the same thing in TB when an url in an
    > email is visited it too changes color. I looked at the
    > config references above, and each has a different color
    > value, and before I start messing around with them, I want
    > to be on the correct path.

    I believe that FF, or any other browser, for that matter, accomplishes
    that, by looking to the browser history file. At least, the last time I
    checked it out, clearing my history also made links, that I knew I
    visited, indicate that I had not.

    After looking at my TB profile, the only history file is history.mab,
    which is related to the address book. There does not appear to be a
    record kept, of which links you have followed in emails. A quick run
    through the Config Editor doesn't show anything that looks like it would
    enable such a function, to me, anyway.

    I could be wrong, but it appears to me that, unless there is an
    extension that provides this capability, I don't think what you are
    asking can be accomplished.

    --
    Alex K.

  7. Re: Links in TB

    The date and time was 5/27/2008 9:25 AM, and on a whim, Dan C pounded
    out on the keyboard:

    > I am using version 2.0.0.14 (20080421).
    >
    > Can THUNDERBIRD be configured to have THEIR live links
    > turn color when they are activated?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Dan

    Hi Dan,

    While I don't know how it may be implemented, the css code for links in
    web pages I design is:
    a:link {color: brown;}
    a:visited {text-decoration: none; color: chocolate;}
    a:hover {color: red;}
    a:active {text-decoration: line-through;}

    I've seen where it's recommended they should always be defined in the
    order shown to avoid conflicts in interpretation by the various
    CSS-supporting browsers.

    You could experiment with your userChrome.css file or userContent.css
    and see if adding them will modify what you want, with userContent.css
    using the BODY tag. Not sure how in userChrome.css

    Also in Config Editor I found:
    browser.visited_color

    You could try modifying that also.

    Here might be some help too:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    --
    Terry R.

  8. Re: Links in TB

    Terry R. wrote with clarity and wisdom:
    > The date and time was 5/27/2008 9:25 AM, and on a whim, Dan C pounded
    > out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> I am using version 2.0.0.14 (20080421).
    >>
    >> Can THUNDERBIRD be configured to have THEIR live links turn color when
    >> they are activated?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Dan

    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > While I don't know how it may be implemented, the css code for links in
    > web pages I design is:
    > a:link {color: brown;}
    > a:visited {text-decoration: none; color: chocolate;}
    > a:hover {color: red;}
    > a:active {text-decoration: line-through;}
    >
    > I've seen where it's recommended they should always be defined in the
    > order shown to avoid conflicts in interpretation by the various
    > CSS-supporting browsers.
    >
    > You could experiment with your userChrome.css file or userContent.css
    > and see if adding them will modify what you want, with userContent.css
    > using the BODY tag. Not sure how in userChrome.css
    >
    > Also in Config Editor I found:
    > browser.visited_color
    >
    > You could try modifying that also.
    >
    > Here might be some help too:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    Hi Terry,

    Nice of you to respond after I was an as...le to you a few
    days ago!

    I will look at your suggestions, but Alex K insight does
    not make me very optimistic.

    Dan

  9. Re: Links in TB

    The date and time was 5/29/2008 8:45 AM, and on a whim, Dan C pounded
    out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote with clarity and wisdom:
    >> The date and time was 5/27/2008 9:25 AM, and on a whim, Dan C pounded
    >> out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> I am using version 2.0.0.14 (20080421).
    >>>
    >>> Can THUNDERBIRD be configured to have THEIR live links turn color when
    >>> they are activated?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>>
    >>> Dan

    >> Hi Dan,
    >>
    >> While I don't know how it may be implemented, the css code for links in
    >> web pages I design is:
    >> a:link {color: brown;}
    >> a:visited {text-decoration: none; color: chocolate;}
    >> a:hover {color: red;}
    >> a:active {text-decoration: line-through;}
    >>
    >> I've seen where it's recommended they should always be defined in the
    >> order shown to avoid conflicts in interpretation by the various
    >> CSS-supporting browsers.
    >>
    >> You could experiment with your userChrome.css file or userContent.css
    >> and see if adding them will modify what you want, with userContent.css
    >> using the BODY tag. Not sure how in userChrome.css
    >>
    >> Also in Config Editor I found:
    >> browser.visited_color
    >>
    >> You could try modifying that also.
    >>
    >> Here might be some help too:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
    >>

    > Hi Terry,
    >
    > Nice of you to respond after I was an as...le to you a few
    > days ago!
    >
    > I will look at your suggestions, but Alex K insight does
    > not make me very optimistic.
    >
    > Dan

    Hi Dan,

    I'm only here to offer support, and the rest I let go of.

    Let me know if any of them help,

    --
    Terry R.

  10. Re: Links in TB

    The date and time was 5/29/2008 8:45 AM, and on a whim, Dan C pounded
    out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote with clarity and wisdom:
    >> The date and time was 5/27/2008 9:25 AM, and on a whim, Dan C pounded
    >> out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> I am using version 2.0.0.14 (20080421).
    >>>
    >>> Can THUNDERBIRD be configured to have THEIR live links turn color when
    >>> they are activated?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>>
    >>> Dan

    >> Hi Dan,
    >>
    >> While I don't know how it may be implemented, the css code for links in
    >> web pages I design is:
    >> a:link {color: brown;}
    >> a:visited {text-decoration: none; color: chocolate;}
    >> a:hover {color: red;}
    >> a:active {text-decoration: line-through;}
    >>
    >> I've seen where it's recommended they should always be defined in the
    >> order shown to avoid conflicts in interpretation by the various
    >> CSS-supporting browsers.
    >>
    >> You could experiment with your userChrome.css file or userContent.css
    >> and see if adding them will modify what you want, with userContent.css
    >> using the BODY tag. Not sure how in userChrome.css
    >>
    >> Also in Config Editor I found:
    >> browser.visited_color
    >>
    >> You could try modifying that also.
    >>
    >> Here might be some help too:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
    >>

    > Hi Terry,
    >
    > Nice of you to respond after I was an as...le to you a few
    > days ago!
    >
    > I will look at your suggestions, but Alex K insight does
    > not make me very optimistic.
    >
    > Dan

    Dan,

    I just added the four a: lines to my userContent.css and three of the
    lines worked (link, hover, active). Unfortunately visited does not
    appear to work, based on what Alex said about the history.

    --
    Terry R.

  11. Re: Links in TB

    Alex K. keyboarded, On 5/29/2008 6:31 AM :
    > Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> Michael Sullivan wrote with clarity and wisdom:
    >>
    >>> I'm not exactly sure what you mean by their live links... but the
    >>> colours of links in messages can be modified by going to the advanced
    >>> config editor.
    >>>
    >>> Tools --> Options --> Advanced Section --> General Tab --> Config Editor
    >>>
    >>> In the search line type links. The three properties you should be
    >>> looking for are: editor.active_link_color, editor.followed_link_color,
    >>> editor.link_color
    >>>
    >>> --M

    >> M,
    >>
    >> You know how FF can be configured so that when a link in a
    >> web page is visited it changes color like from green to
    >> red. I want to do the same thing in TB when an url in an
    >> email is visited it too changes color. I looked at the
    >> config references above, and each has a different color
    >> value, and before I start messing around with them, I want
    >> to be on the correct path.
    >>

    > I believe that FF, or any other browser, for that matter, accomplishes
    > that, by looking to the browser history file. At least, the last time I
    > checked it out, clearing my history also made links, that I knew I
    > visited, indicate that I had not.
    >
    > After looking at my TB profile, the only history file is history.mab,
    > which is related to the address book. There does not appear to be a
    > record kept, of which links you have followed in emails. A quick run
    > through the Config Editor doesn't show anything that looks like it would
    > enable such a function, to me, anyway.
    >
    > I could be wrong, but it appears to me that, unless there is an
    > extension that provides this capability, I don't think what you are
    > asking can be accomplished.

    Alex is correct, Tbird can not do link history because that function of
    the browser is *Not* built into Tbird. The message pane is a highly
    stripped down browser (think Firefox).

    There is a discussion taking place for a new concept for post Tb 3
    development that will require adding some form of browser history
    functionality.

    --
    Ron K.

  12. Re: Links in TB

    Michael Sullivan wrote with clarity and wisdom:
    > I'm not exactly sure what you mean by their live links... but the
    > colours of links in messages can be modified by going to the advanced
    > config editor.
    >
    > Tools --> Options --> Advanced Section --> General Tab --> Config Editor
    >
    > In the search line type links. The three properties you should be
    > looking for are: editor.active_link_color, editor.followed_link_color,
    > editor.link_color
    >
    > --M
    >
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> I am using version 2.0.0.14 (20080421).
    >>
    >> Can THUNDERBIRD be configured to have THEIR live links turn color when
    >> they are activated?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Dan

    Thanks to all who worked with me on this.

    Dan C

  13. Re: Links in TB

    The date and time was 5/29/2008 10:07 AM, and on a whim, Dan C pounded
    out on the keyboard:

    > Thanks to all who worked with me on this.
    >
    > Dan C

    You're welcome Dan. Sorry it won't do what you had hoped.
    --
    Terry R.