Newgroup Addresses in Address Book? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Newgroup Addresses in Address Book? - Mozilla ; When I write to a newsgroup, TB always asks me "HTML or plain?" Is there a way to add the newsgroup address to the addressbook and pin the type to plain? Thanks....

  1. Newgroup Addresses in Address Book?

    When I write to a newsgroup, TB always asks me "HTML or plain?"

    Is there a way to add the newsgroup address to the addressbook and pin
    the type to plain?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Newgroup Addresses in Address Book?

    On 5/15/2008 1:59 PM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > When I write to a newsgroup, TB always asks me "HTML or plain?"
    >
    > Is there a way to add the newsgroup address to the addressbook and pin
    > the type to plain?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You should have accounts for newsgroups that are separate and distinct
    from the accounts for E-mail.

    On the main Thunderbird window, go to the menu bar and select [Tools >
    Account Settings]. On a newsgroup account, select Composition &
    Addressing. Make sure the checkbox for "Compose messages in HTML
    format" is NOT checked. Repeat this for any other newsgroup accounts.
    Then, click the OK button.

    You might want to do this for E-mail accounts, too, as there are a
    number of individuals who do not like to receive HTML-formatted E-mail
    messages. Alternatively, you can mark individual E-mail addresses in
    your addressbook for "plain text" (ASCII) or HTML messages.

    --
    David E. Ross

    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much

  3. Re: Newgroup Addresses in Address Book?

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > On 5/15/2008 1:59 PM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >> When I write to a newsgroup, TB always asks me "HTML or plain?"
    >>
    >> Is there a way to add the newsgroup address to the addressbook and pin
    >> the type to plain?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > You should have accounts for newsgroups that are separate and distinct
    > from the accounts for E-mail.
    >
    > On the main Thunderbird window, go to the menu bar and select [Tools >
    > Account Settings]. On a newsgroup account, select Composition &
    > Addressing. Make sure the checkbox for "Compose messages in HTML
    > format" is NOT checked. Repeat this for any other newsgroup accounts.
    > Then, click the OK button.
    >
    > You might want to do this for E-mail accounts, too, as there are a
    > number of individuals who do not like to receive HTML-formatted E-mail
    > messages. Alternatively, you can mark individual E-mail addresses in
    > your addressbook for "plain text" (ASCII) or HTML messages.

    Newsgroups always are 'plain text' according to Thunderbird. For
    example, if you are composing in HTML, then every newsgroup message will
    'ask' (if you have it set to ask in Preferences). The way to avoid it
    is as shown above, set your newsgroups accounts to compose in plain text.

  4. Re: Newgroup Addresses in Address Book?

    Pete Holsberg wrote, On 05/16/2008 02:29 AM:
    > When I write to a newsgroup, TB always asks me "HTML or plain?"
    >
    > Is there a way to add the newsgroup address to the addressbook and pin
    > the type to plain?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Goto Tools > Options> Composition > Send Option . From drop-down menu ,
    select your preference .
    Restart TB.

  5. Re: Newgroup Addresses in Address Book?

    On 5/15/2008 5:35 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
    > On 5/15/2008 1:59 PM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >> When I write to a newsgroup, TB always asks me "HTML or plain?"
    >>
    >> Is there a way to add the newsgroup address to the addressbook and pin
    >> the type to plain?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > You should have accounts for newsgroups that are separate and distinct
    > from the accounts for E-mail.
    >
    > On the main Thunderbird window, go to the menu bar and select [Tools >
    > Account Settings]. On a newsgroup account, select Composition &
    > Addressing. Make sure the checkbox for "Compose messages in HTML
    > format" is NOT checked. Repeat this for any other newsgroup accounts.
    > Then, click the OK button.
    >
    > You might want to do this for E-mail accounts, too, as there are a
    > number of individuals who do not like to receive HTML-formatted E-mail
    > messages. Alternatively, you can mark individual E-mail addresses in
    > your addressbook for "plain text" (ASCII) or HTML messages.

    By the way, you would not likely have any newsgroups in your address
    book. I don't even know if that would work.

    The usual way to send a newsgroup message is to connect to a NNTP server
    (e.g., news.mozilla.org, news.vcnet.com, msnews.microsoft.com) and then
    select a newsgroup from a list of those to which you have subscribed.
    Select the Write or Reply button to open a Compose window. The name of
    the newsgroup is automatically inserted, not after a To: but after a
    Newsgroup:.

    --
    David E. Ross

    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much

  6. Re: Newgroup Addresses in Address Book?

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > On 5/15/2008 5:35 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
    >
    >> On 5/15/2008 1:59 PM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I write to a newsgroup, TB always asks me "HTML or plain?"
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to add the newsgroup address to the addressbook and pin
    >>> the type to plain?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> You should have accounts for newsgroups that are separate and distinct
    >> from the accounts for E-mail.
    >>
    >> On the main Thunderbird window, go to the menu bar and select [Tools>
    >> Account Settings]. On a newsgroup account, select Composition&
    >> Addressing. Make sure the checkbox for "Compose messages in HTML
    >> format" is NOT checked. Repeat this for any other newsgroup accounts.
    >> Then, click the OK button.
    >>
    >> You might want to do this for E-mail accounts, too, as there are a
    >> number of individuals who do not like to receive HTML-formatted E-mail
    >> messages. Alternatively, you can mark individual E-mail addresses in
    >> your addressbook for "plain text" (ASCII) or HTML messages.
    >>

    > By the way, you would not likely have any newsgroups in your address
    > book. I don't even know if that would work.
    >
    > The usual way to send a newsgroup message is to connect to a NNTP server
    > (e.g., news.mozilla.org, news.vcnet.com, msnews.microsoft.com) and then
    > select a newsgroup from a list of those to which you have subscribed.
    > Select the Write or Reply button to open a Compose window. The name of
    > the newsgroup is automatically inserted, not after a To: but after a
    > Newsgroup:.

    Years ago bug reports were done to turn on a the whitelisted domain
    feature for news. It exists in Options for mail domains to set text
    preference to Plain or HTML.

    --
    Ron K.

+ Reply to Thread