font size - Mozilla

This is a discussion on font size - Mozilla ; Some messages to this group ( m.s.thunderbird ) open with different font sizes. Messages that are ISO-8859-1 open in a font that I would guess to be about 14pt. Message that are UTF-8 open in a font that is very ...

  1. font size

    Some messages to this group ( m.s.thunderbird ) open with
    different font sizes. Messages that are ISO-8859-1 open in
    a font that I would guess to be about 14pt. Message that
    are UTF-8 open in a font that is very tiny. Not sure how
    tiny, but it requires effort to read it. Does Thunderbird
    have a setting to control this variation?
    Thanks,
    Charles

  2. Re: font size

    charles cashion wrote:
    > Some messages to this group ( m.s.thunderbird ) open with
    > different font sizes. Messages that are ISO-8859-1 open in
    > a font that I would guess to be about 14pt. Message that
    > are UTF-8 open in a font that is very tiny. Not sure how
    > tiny, but it requires effort to read it. Does Thunderbird
    > have a setting to control this variation?
    > Thanks,
    > Charles

    On the Menu bar, View, Text Size.

  3. Re: font size

    raf wrote:
    > charles cashion wrote:
    >> Some messages to this group ( m.s.thunderbird ) open with
    >> different font sizes. Messages that are ISO-8859-1 open in
    >> a font that I would guess to be about 14pt. Message that
    >> are UTF-8 open in a font that is very tiny. Not sure how
    >> tiny, but it requires effort to read it. Does Thunderbird
    >> have a setting to control this variation?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Charles

    > On the Menu bar, View, Text Size.

    Raf,
    Thank you.
    That works.
    But the next time I pull up a message formatted ISO-8859-1,
    it must be at least 18pt. Is there a way to increase the
    size of UTF-8 text (and ONLY UTF-8)?
    Charles

  4. Re: font size

    charles cashion wrote:
    > raf wrote:
    >> charles cashion wrote:
    >>> Some messages to this group ( m.s.thunderbird ) open with
    >>> different font sizes. Messages that are ISO-8859-1 open in
    >>> a font that I would guess to be about 14pt. Message that
    >>> are UTF-8 open in a font that is very tiny. Not sure how
    >>> tiny, but it requires effort to read it. Does Thunderbird
    >>> have a setting to control this variation?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Charles

    >> On the Menu bar, View, Text Size.

    > Raf,
    > Thank you.
    > That works.
    > But the next time I pull up a message formatted ISO-8859-1,
    > it must be at least 18pt. Is there a way to increase the
    > size of UTF-8 text (and ONLY UTF-8)?
    > Charles

    Dude you sound like a chick I once knew, I gave her the moon she wanted
    the stars I don't know about that. Maybe someone else can help you.
    Stick around.

  5. Re: font size

    * raf wrote, On 5/15/2008 11:32:
    > charles cashion wrote:
    >> Some messages to this group ( m.s.thunderbird ) open with
    >> different font sizes. Messages that are ISO-8859-1 open in
    >> a font that I would guess to be about 14pt. Message that
    >> are UTF-8 open in a font that is very tiny. Not sure how
    >> tiny, but it requires effort to read it. Does Thunderbird
    >> have a setting to control this variation?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Charles

    > On the Menu bar, View, Text Size.

    Or simply keyboard it with control + or -.
    Miles

  6. Re: font size

    *-* On Thu, 15 May 2008, at 13:38:17 -0500,
    *-* In Article O8udnSpTDfOEHrHVnZ2dnUVZ_uOdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* charles cashion wrote
    *-* About Re: font size

    > raf wrote:
    >> charles cashion wrote:
    >>> Some messages to this group ( m.s.thunderbird ) open with
    >>> different font sizes. Messages that are ISO-8859-1 open in a font
    >>> that I would guess to be about 14pt. Message that are UTF-8 open
    >>> in a font that is very tiny. Not sure how tiny, but it requires
    >>> effort to read it. Does Thunderbird have a setting to control this
    >>> variation?

    >> On the Menu bar, View, Text Size.

    > Thank you.
    > That works.
    > But the next time I pull up a message formatted ISO-8859-1, it must
    > be at least 18pt. Is there a way to increase the size of UTF-8 text
    > (and ONLY UTF-8)?

    AFAIK, no, there's no way to change the default font size for
    individual character sets. If you're at all keyboard-oriented,
    however, you might find it quicker and easier to use the ,
    , and shortcuts for the Increase, Decrease, and
    Normal (respectively) options on the View --> Text Size menu.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  7. Re: font size

    charles cashion wrote:
    > raf wrote:
    >> charles cashion wrote:
    >>> Some messages to this group ( m.s.thunderbird ) open with
    >>> different font sizes. Messages that are ISO-8859-1 open in
    >>> a font that I would guess to be about 14pt. Message that
    >>> are UTF-8 open in a font that is very tiny. Not sure how
    >>> tiny, but it requires effort to read it. Does Thunderbird
    >>> have a setting to control this variation?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Charles

    >> On the Menu bar, View, Text Size.

    > Raf,
    > Thank you.
    > That works.
    > But the next time I pull up a message formatted ISO-8859-1,
    > it must be at least 18pt. Is there a way to increase the
    > size of UTF-8 text (and ONLY UTF-8)?

    There is a way, but it will affect *all* Unicode encodings, not just
    UTF-8. It will, however, solve the issue you described, *without*
    affecting non-UTF encodings.

    You must use the 'Config Editor' to change the prefs, as there is no
    selection in the UI for Unicode, as there is for other encodings.

    Since you appear to be on *nix:

    Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General, then click the 'Config
    Editor' button.

    In the 'Filter' bar, enter: unicode

    Look for the following preferences:

    font.size.fixed.x-unicode
    font.size.variable.x-unicode

    Double click on a pref, to enter a new size for it.

    --
    Alex K.

  8. Re: font size

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 09:57:09 -0500, in message ,
    charles cashion wrote:

    > Some messages to this group ( m.s.thunderbird ) open with
    > different font sizes. Messages that are ISO-8859-1 open in
    > a font that I would guess to be about 14pt. Message that
    > are UTF-8 open in a font that is very tiny. Not sure how
    > tiny, but it requires effort to read it. Does Thunderbird
    > have a setting to control this variation?

    Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> Formatting,
    and click the "Fonts" button near the bottom right.

    Each option in the "Fonts for:" drop-down list has its
    own separate font and font size settings underneath.

    I might guess from your description, that your font size
    settings for
    Fonts for: Western
    were larger than your font size settings for
    Fonts for: Other Languages

    I would suggest than you align all the various font size
    settings for the various "Fonts for:" options.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it.

  9. Re: font size

    Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Thu, 15 May 2008, at 13:38:17 -0500,
    > *-* In Article O8udnSpTDfOEHrHVnZ2dnUVZ_uOdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* charles cashion wrote
    > *-* About Re: font size
    >
    >> raf wrote:

    >>> On the Menu bar, View, Text Size.

    >> Thank you.
    >> That works.
    >> But the next time I pull up a message formatted ISO-8859-1, it must
    >> be at least 18pt. Is there a way to increase the size of UTF-8 text
    >> (and ONLY UTF-8)?

    > AFAIK, no, there's no way to change the default font size for
    > individual character sets. If you're at all keyboard-oriented,
    > however, you might find it quicker and easier to use the ,
    > , and shortcuts for the Increase, Decrease, and
    > Normal (respectively) options on the View --> Text Size menu.
    >
    > Ken Whiton
    >
    > FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    See if this works for you:
    tools>options>display>fonts>set you minimum font size then untick allow
    messages to use other fonts.
    You might wanna choose your own font styles.

    shaka

  10. Re: font size (thanks!)

    Alex K. wrote:
    charles cashion wrote:
    > Some messages to this group ( m.s.thunderbird ) open with
    > different font sizes. Messages that are ISO-8859-1 open in
    > a font that I would guess to be about 14pt. Message that
    > are UTF-8 open in a font that is very tiny. Not sure how
    > tiny, but it requires effort to read it. Does Thunderbird
    > have a setting to control this variation?
    > Thanks,
    > Charles

    > But the next time I pull up a message formatted ISO-8859-1,
    > it must be at least 18pt. Is there a way to increase the
    > size of UTF-8 text (and ONLY UTF-8)?
    >
    > There is a way, but it will affect *all* Unicode encodings, not just
    > UTF-8. It will, however, solve the issue you described, *without*
    > affecting non-UTF encodings.
    >
    > You must use the 'Config Editor' to change the prefs, as there is no
    > selection in the UI for Unicode, as there is for other encodings.
    >
    > Since you appear to be on *nix:
    >
    > Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General, then click the 'Config
    > Editor' button.
    >
    > In the 'Filter' bar, enter: unicode
    >
    > Look for the following preferences:
    >
    > font.size.fixed.x-unicode
    > font.size.variable.x-unicode
    >
    > Double click on a pref, to enter a new size for it.

    Alex,
    That works!
    Thanks,
    Charles

  11. Re: font size (thanks!)

    charles cashion wrote:
    > Alex K. wrote:
    >> Look for the following preferences:
    >>
    >> font.size.fixed.x-unicode
    >> font.size.variable.x-unicode
    >>
    >> Double click on a pref, to enter a new size for it.
    >>

    > Alex,
    > That works!
    > Thanks,
    > Charles

    You're welcome.

    I only knew about that, because I went through the same thing. :-)

    Alex

    --
    Alex K.

+ Reply to Thread