avatar in email headers? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on avatar in email headers? - Mozilla ; Every so often I see a message from someone that has an avatar in their header info (extended normal view). I can't find one in this newsgroup right now, but in the Firefox NG, poster "Jim S" has one (see ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

  1. avatar in email headers?

    Every so often I see a message from someone that has an avatar in their
    header info (extended normal view). I can't find one in this newsgroup
    right now, but in the Firefox NG, poster "Jim S" has one (see thread
    "Twitching").

    How does that get there?

  2. Re: avatar in email headers?

    Keith Latham wrote:
    > Every so often I see a message from someone that has an avatar in their
    > header info (extended normal view). I can't find one in this newsgroup
    > right now, but in the Firefox NG, poster "Jim S" has one (see thread
    > "Twitching").
    >
    > How does that get there?

    I think it's to do with the X-Face: in the header.

    Do you have an add-on that displays these as I cannot see the avatar.

    --
    Annie.......... (VM BB L - Vista Ultimate)

    http://find-out-more.brion.me.uk - http://email-me.brion.me.uk

  3. Re: avatar in email headers?

    On 08.05.2008 14:40, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Keith Latham
    to generate the following:? :
    > Every so often I see a message from someone that has an avatar in their
    > header info (extended normal view). I can't find one in this newsgroup
    > right now, but in the Firefox NG, poster "Jim S" has one (see thread
    > "Twitching").
    >
    > How does that get there?

    one extension (that I use) is called MessageFaces

    http://tecwizards.de/mozilla/messagefaces/

    'tis a bit difficult to trim the image down to the required bit-size!

    reg

  4. Re: avatar in email headers?

    On 08/05/2008 13:51, Annie R J Brion wrote:
    > Keith Latham wrote:
    >> Every so often I see a message from someone that has an avatar in
    >> their header info (extended normal view). I can't find one in this
    >> newsgroup right now, but in the Firefox NG, poster "Jim S" has one
    >> (see thread "Twitching").
    >>
    >> How does that get there?

    > I think it's to do with the X-Face: in the header.
    >
    > Do you have an add-on that displays these as I cannot see the avatar.

    I use the MessageFaces Add-On:-

    --
    wtwjgc (Joe)

  5. Re: avatar in email headers?

    Annie R J Brion wrote:
    > Keith Latham wrote:
    >> Every so often I see a message from someone that has an avatar in
    >> their header info (extended normal view). I can't find one in this
    >> newsgroup right now, but in the Firefox NG, poster "Jim S" has one
    >> (see thread "Twitching").
    >>
    >> How does that get there?

    > I think it's to do with the X-Face: in the header.
    >
    > Do you have an add-on that displays these as I cannot see the avatar.

    Possibly "mnenhy" allows it to show up? Otherwise I use Lightning, Biff,
    Talkback, SMTPSelect, MinimizeToTray, and Signature Switch.

  6. Re: avatar in email headers?

    wtwjgc wrote:
    > On 08/05/2008 13:51, Annie R J Brion wrote:
    >> Keith Latham wrote:
    >>> Every so often I see a message from someone that has an avatar in
    >>> their header info (extended normal view). I can't find one in
    >>> this newsgroup right now, but in the Firefox NG, poster "Jim S"
    >>> has one (see thread "Twitching").
    >>>
    >>> How does that get there?

    >> I think it's to do with the X-Face: in the header.
    >>
    >> Do you have an add-on that displays these as I cannot see the
    >> avatar.
    >>

    > I use the MessageFaces Add-On:-

    Thanks.

    --
    Annie.......... (VM BB L - Vista Ultimate)

    http://find-out-more.brion.me.uk - http://email-me.brion.me.uk

  7. Re: avatar in email headers?

    wtwjgc wrote:
    > On 08/05/2008 13:51, Annie R J Brion wrote:
    >> Keith Latham wrote:
    >>> Every so often I see a message from someone that has an avatar in
    >>> their header info (extended normal view). I can't find one in this
    >>> newsgroup right now, but in the Firefox NG, poster "Jim S" has one
    >>> (see thread "Twitching").
    >>>
    >>> How does that get there?

    >> I think it's to do with the X-Face: in the header.
    >>
    >> Do you have an add-on that displays these as I cannot see the avatar.
    >>

    > I use the MessageFaces Add-On:-

    Same here. And then use Gravatar to link to my avatar to my email address.

    BTW, "Display Mail User Agent" and "Country Lookup" are also very cool
    extensions, and the three of them get along fine.

    http://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/562

  8. Re: avatar in email headers?

    Tarkus wrote:
    > wtwjgc wrote:

    >>> I think it's to do with the X-Face: in the header.
    >>>
    >>> Do you have an add-on that displays these as I cannot see the avatar.
    >>>

    >> I use the MessageFaces Add-On:-
    >>

    > Same here. And then use Gravatar to link to my avatar to my email address.
    >
    > BTW, "Display Mail User Agent" and "Country Lookup" are also very cool
    > extensions, and the three of them get along fine.
    >
    > http://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/562
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/3595

    mnenhy has the User Agent display, so that's cool.

    MessageFaces seems to give you the ability to add the avatar to your
    outgoing messages, is that right? And what does Gravatar do?

    The comments on MessagesFaces seem to indicate it is working with the
    'x-face' element. mnenhy does not have an option listed for x-face. Is
    that basic functionality of Thunderbird then?

  9. Re: avatar in email headers?

    Keith Latham wrote:
    > Annie R J Brion wrote:
    >> Keith Latham wrote:
    >>> Every so often I see a message from someone that has an avatar in
    >>> their header info (extended normal view). I can't find one in this
    >>> newsgroup right now, but in the Firefox NG, poster "Jim S" has one
    >>> (see thread "Twitching").
    >>>
    >>> How does that get there?

    >> I think it's to do with the X-Face: in the header.
    >>
    >> Do you have an add-on that displays these as I cannot see the avatar.
    >>

    > Possibly "mnenhy" allows it to show up? Otherwise I use Lightning, Biff,
    > Talkback, SMTPSelect, MinimizeToTray, and Signature Switch.

    To answer my own question - I looked up x-face on wiki and it says its
    mnenhy that adds the support for it to TB.

  10. Re: avatar in email headers?

    Keith Latham wrote:
    > Tarkus wrote:
    >> BTW, "Display Mail User Agent" and "Country Lookup" are also very cool
    >> extensions, and the three of them get along fine.
    >>
    >> http://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/562
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/3595

    > mnenhy has the User Agent display, so that's cool.

    I believe Mnenhy only displays a text version, though. DMUA actually
    shows an icon of the mailer being used. And you can mouse over it to
    get more details (name, version, etc.).

    > MessageFaces seems to give you the ability to add the avatar to your
    > outgoing messages, is that right? And what does Gravatar do?

    Gravatar is a site that allows you to attach small images (80x80, I
    believe) to email addresses, so sites and programs (or extensions, in
    this case), can use that information to show your avatar in full color
    (unlike X-Faces). MessageFaces supports both X-Faces and Gravatar, so
    it's the best of both worlds.

    > The comments on MessagesFaces seem to indicate it is working with the
    > 'x-face' element. mnenhy does not have an option listed for x-face. Is
    > that basic functionality of Thunderbird then?

    No, it's not. At least not in the 2.x series.

    I just installed Mnenhy the other day, so I'm no expert on it, but from
    what I gather, it's simply a tool to add or subtract the different
    headers shown in your text header display. It has nothing to do with
    showing graphics. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)

  11. Re: avatar in email headers?

    Keith Latham wrote:
    > Keith Latham wrote:
    >> Annie R J Brion wrote:

    >>> I think it's to do with the X-Face: in the header.
    >>>
    >>> Do you have an add-on that displays these as I cannot see the avatar.
    >>>

    >> Possibly "mnenhy" allows it to show up? Otherwise I use Lightning,
    >> Biff, Talkback, SMTPSelect, MinimizeToTray, and Signature Switch.

    > To answer my own question - I looked up x-face on wiki and it says its
    > mnenhy that adds the support for it to TB.

    So mnemhy is displaying the x-face when present in a message I receive.
    It appears that MessageFace does the same thing.

    How the heck do I add an x-face to messages I send?

  12. Re: avatar in email headers?

    Tarkus keyboarded, On 5/8/2008 10:28 AM :
    > Keith Latham wrote:
    >> Tarkus wrote:
    >>> BTW, "Display Mail User Agent" and "Country Lookup" are also very
    >>> cool extensions, and the three of them get along fine.
    >>>
    >>> http://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/562
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/3595

    >> mnenhy has the User Agent display, so that's cool.

    > I believe Mnenhy only displays a text version, though. DMUA actually
    > shows an icon of the mailer being used. And you can mouse over it to
    > get more details (name, version, etc.).

    I took a look at DMUA for a week and then removed it. I didn't like how
    it distorted the headers bar when in collapsed view. The extension was
    pushing the pane open to more height than my Chrome style rule was set
    to. Plus that is one huge extension due to all the graphics stored for
    the many UA it supports. I will say that DMUA is a interesting concept
    that was worth my time to evaluate.

    --
    Ron K.

  13. Re: avatar in email headers?

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Tarkus keyboarded, On 5/8/2008 10:28 AM :
    >> Keith Latham wrote:

    >>> mnenhy has the User Agent display, so that's cool.

    >> I believe Mnenhy only displays a text version, though. DMUA actually
    >> shows an icon of the mailer being used. And you can mouse over it to
    >> get more details (name, version, etc.).

    > I took a look at DMUA for a week and then removed it. I didn't like how
    > it distorted the headers bar when in collapsed view. The extension was
    > pushing the pane open to more height than my Chrome style rule was set
    > to. Plus that is one huge extension due to all the graphics stored for
    > the many UA it supports. I will say that DMUA is a interesting concept
    > that was worth my time to evaluate.

    That's a very fair assessment. Since I'm already displaying avatars and
    country flags in the same place, it doesn't apply to me. All it does is
    give me three graphics to the right of my header pane instead of two.

  14. Re: avatar in email headers?

    The date and time was 5/8/2008 7:28 AM, and on a whim, Tarkus pounded
    out on the keyboard:

    > Keith Latham wrote:
    >> Tarkus wrote:
    >>> BTW, "Display Mail User Agent" and "Country Lookup" are also very cool
    >>> extensions, and the three of them get along fine.
    >>>
    >>> http://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/562
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/3595

    >> mnenhy has the User Agent display, so that's cool.

    > I believe Mnenhy only displays a text version, though. DMUA actually
    > shows an icon of the mailer being used. And you can mouse over it to
    > get more details (name, version, etc.).
    >
    >> MessageFaces seems to give you the ability to add the avatar to your
    >> outgoing messages, is that right? And what does Gravatar do?

    > Gravatar is a site that allows you to attach small images (80x80, I
    > believe) to email addresses, so sites and programs (or extensions, in
    > this case), can use that information to show your avatar in full color
    > (unlike X-Faces). MessageFaces supports both X-Faces and Gravatar, so
    > it's the best of both worlds.
    >
    >> The comments on MessagesFaces seem to indicate it is working with the
    >> 'x-face' element. mnenhy does not have an option listed for x-face. Is
    >> that basic functionality of Thunderbird then?

    > No, it's not. At least not in the 2.x series.
    >
    > I just installed Mnenhy the other day, so I'm no expert on it, but from
    > what I gather, it's simply a tool to add or subtract the different
    > headers shown in your text header display. It has nothing to do with
    > showing graphics. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)

    Mnenhy does allow the "graphic face" to show.

    --
    Terry R.

  15. Re: avatar in email headers?

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 5/8/2008 7:28 AM, and on a whim, Tarkus pounded
    > out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> Keith Latham wrote:

    >>> mnenhy has the User Agent display, so that's cool.

    >> I believe Mnenhy only displays a text version, though. DMUA actually
    >> shows an icon of the mailer being used. And you can mouse over it to
    >> get more details (name, version, etc.).
    >>
    >>> MessageFaces seems to give you the ability to add the avatar to your
    >>> outgoing messages, is that right? And what does Gravatar do?

    >> Gravatar is a site that allows you to attach small images (80x80, I
    >> believe) to email addresses, so sites and programs (or extensions, in
    >> this case), can use that information to show your avatar in full color
    >> (unlike X-Faces). MessageFaces supports both X-Faces and Gravatar, so
    >> it's the best of both worlds.
    >>
    >>> The comments on MessagesFaces seem to indicate it is working with the
    >>> 'x-face' element. mnenhy does not have an option listed for x-face.
    >>> Is that basic functionality of Thunderbird then?

    >> No, it's not. At least not in the 2.x series.
    >>
    >> I just installed Mnenhy the other day, so I'm no expert on it, but
    >> from what I gather, it's simply a tool to add or subtract the
    >> different headers shown in your text header display. It has nothing
    >> to do with showing graphics. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)

    > Mnenhy does allow the "graphic face" to show.

    I stand corrected.

    I assume you mean X-Face and not Gravatar, though. The latter makes
    MessageFaces a worthwhile extension, even with Mnenhy installed.

    Unless I'm wrong again.

  16. Re: avatar in email headers?

    The date and time was 5/8/2008 10:32 AM, and on a whim, Tarkus pounded
    out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 5/8/2008 7:28 AM, and on a whim, Tarkus pounded
    >> out on the keyboard:

    >>> I believe Mnenhy only displays a text version, though. DMUA actually
    >>> shows an icon of the mailer being used. And you can mouse over it to
    >>> get more details (name, version, etc.).

    >>> Gravatar is a site that allows you to attach small images (80x80, I
    >>> believe) to email addresses, so sites and programs (or extensions, in
    >>> this case), can use that information to show your avatar in full color
    >>> (unlike X-Faces). MessageFaces supports both X-Faces and Gravatar, so
    >>> it's the best of both worlds.

    >>> No, it's not. At least not in the 2.x series.
    >>>
    >>> I just installed Mnenhy the other day, so I'm no expert on it, but
    >>> from what I gather, it's simply a tool to add or subtract the
    >>> different headers shown in your text header display. It has nothing
    >>> to do with showing graphics. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)

    >> Mnenhy does allow the "graphic face" to show.

    > I stand corrected.
    >
    > I assume you mean X-Face and not Gravatar, though. The latter makes
    > MessageFaces a worthwhile extension, even with Mnenhy installed.
    >
    > Unless I'm wrong again.

    I've only seen the b/w images, so it's probably only x-f. You are right
    though, there isn't any option to set for displaying them in Mnenhy.

    --
    Terry R.

  17. Re: avatar in email headers?

    *-* On Thu, 08 May 2008, at 15:12:38 +0200,
    *-* In Article gKKdnWp_kJLbYb_VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* squaredancer wrote
    *-* About Re: avatar in email headers?

    > On 08.05.2008 14:40, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Keith
    > Latham to generate the following:? :
    >> Every so often I see a message from someone that has an avatar in
    >> their header info (extended normal view). I can't find one in this
    >> newsgroup right now, but in the Firefox NG, poster "Jim S" has one
    >> (see thread "Twitching").

    >> How does that get there?

    > one extension (that I use) is called MessageFaces

    How come you're no longer adding a Face to your posts?

    > http://tecwizards.de/mozilla/messagefaces/

    > 'tis a bit difficult to trim the image down to the required
    > bit-size!

    Agreed. That (and not yet taking the time to "tweak" the
    process) is what's keeping me from adding a face to my e-mails and
    posts.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  18. Re: avatar in email headers?

    *-* On Fri, 09 May 2008, at 00:43:56 +1000,
    *-* In Article vaGdnU4V9LE2jL7VnZ2dnUVZ_uCdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Keith Latham wrote
    *-* About Re: avatar in email headers?

    > Keith Latham wrote:
    >> Keith Latham wrote:

    He posts to this group too, most recently on April 19.

    >>> Possibly "mnenhy" allows it to show up? Otherwise I use Lightning,
    >>> Biff, Talkback, SMTPSelect, MinimizeToTray, and Signature Switch.

    >> To answer my own question - I looked up x-face on wiki and it says
    >> its mnenhy that adds the support for it to TB.

    > So mnemhy is displaying the x-face when present in a message I
    > receive. It appears that MessageFace does the same thing.

    > How the heck do I add an x-face to messages I send?

    According to , you can
    use MessageFaces to add a Face header (color image) to e-mails and
    newsgroup posts, but it doesn't support adding X-Face headers
    (black-and-white images). In my TB 1.5:

    Tools --> Extensions --> MessageFaces --> Options

    In TB2, I think it's:

    Tools --> Add-Ons --> Extensions --> MessageFaces --> Options

    For more information, see:
    , and for
    information on creating a Face image, see:
    .

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  19. Re: avatar in email headers?

    > *-* On Thu, 08 May 2008, at 15:12:38 +0200,
    > *-* In Article gKKdnWp_kJLbYb_VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* squaredancer wrote
    > *-* About Re: avatar in email headers?
    >
    >> On 08.05.2008 14:40, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Keith
    >> Latham to generate the following:? :
    >>> Every so often I see a message from someone that has an avatar in
    >>> their header info (extended normal view). I can't find one in this
    >>> newsgroup right now, but in the Firefox NG, poster "Jim S" has one
    >>> (see thread "Twitching").

    >>> How does that get there?

    >> one extension (that I use) is called MessageFaces

    > How come you're no longer adding a Face to your posts?
    >
    >> http://tecwizards.de/mozilla/messagefaces/

    >> 'tis a bit difficult to trim the image down to the required
    >> bit-size!

    > Agreed. That (and not yet taking the time to "tweak" the
    > process) is what's keeping me from adding a face to my e-mails and
    > posts.
    >
    > Ken Whiton
    >
    > FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    Does my face show up??

  20. Re: avatar in email headers?

    On 09.05.2008 09:07, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ken Whiton to
    generate the following:? :
    > *-* On Thu, 08 May 2008, at 15:12:38 +0200,
    > *-* In Article gKKdnWp_kJLbYb_VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* squaredancer wrote
    > *-* About Re: avatar in email headers?
    >

    >> On 08.05.2008 14:40, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Keith
    >> Latham to generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> Every so often I see a message from someone that has an avatar in
    >>> their header info (extended normal view). I can't find one in this
    >>> newsgroup right now, but in the Firefox NG, poster "Jim S" has one
    >>> (see thread "Twitching").
    >>>

    >>> How does that get there?
    >>>

    >> one extension (that I use) is called MessageFaces
    >>

    > How come you're no longer adding a Face to your posts?

    I was wondering the same :-P

    In the MessageFaces options, you can set each server to display a face -
    or not! Moz was switched off, for some reason... tried to replace the
    image several times, but it wouldn't stick - SecNews has the image in
    place, but the server is still down!

    Just had a look at the options again... if you have the extension, open
    Options, then the "Face Types" tab... there, you can select b/w x-face
    images, or local (folder...) images. My options there were both
    un-selected, so maybe it will work now!

    reg

    >> http://tecwizards.de/mozilla/messagefaces/
    >>

    >> 'tis a bit difficult to trim the image down to the required
    >> bit-size!
    >>

    > Agreed. That (and not yet taking the time to "tweak" the
    > process) is what's keeping me from adding a face to my e-mails and
    > posts.

    yep! 'tis a bind, and takes several attempts before you get it right!

    reg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast