avatar in email headers? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on avatar in email headers? - Mozilla ; On 09.05.2008 10:58, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused squaredancer to generate the following:? : > On 09.05.2008 09:07, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ken Whiton to > generate the following:? : > >> *-* ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 40 of 40

  1. Re: avatar in email headers?

    On 09.05.2008 10:58, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused squaredancer
    to generate the following:? :
    > On 09.05.2008 09:07, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ken Whiton to
    > generate the following:? :
    >
    >> *-* On Thu, 08 May 2008, at 15:12:38 +0200,
    >> *-* In Article gKKdnWp_kJLbYb_VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    >> *-* squaredancer wrote
    >> *-* About Re: avatar in email headers?
    >>

    >>> On 08.05.2008 14:40, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Keith
    >>> Latham to generate the following:? :

    >>> one extension (that I use) is called MessageFaces
    >>>

    >> How come you're no longer adding a Face to your posts?
    >>

    > I was wondering the same :-P
    >
    > In the MessageFaces options, you can set each server to display a face -
    > or not! Moz was switched off, for some reason... tried to replace the
    > image several times, but it wouldn't stick - SecNews has the image in
    > place, but the server is still down!
    >
    > Just had a look at the options again... if you have the extension, open
    > Options, then the "Face Types" tab... there, you can select b/w x-face
    > images, or local (folder...) images. My options there were both
    > un-selected, so maybe it will work now!
    >
    > reg
    >

    >>> http://tecwizards.de/mozilla/messagefaces/
    >>>

    >>> 'tis a bit difficult to trim the image down to the required
    >>> bit-size!
    >>>

    >> Agreed. That (and not yet taking the time to "tweak" the
    >> process) is what's keeping me from adding a face to my e-mails and
    >> posts.
    >>

    > yep! 'tis a bind, and takes several attempts before you get it right!
    >
    > reg

    yabba-doo - got my ugly mug and grey hairs all up there again! Seems, it
    was the settings under the Face Types tab that were wrongly set!

    reg

  2. Re: avatar in email headers?

    TbirdLearner wrote:
    > Does my face show up??

    Yes.

  3. Re: avatar in email headers?

    The date and time was 5/9/2008 1:59 AM, and on a whim, squaredancer
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > On 09.05.2008 10:58, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused squaredancer
    > to generate the following:? :
    >> On 09.05.2008 09:07, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ken Whiton to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> *-* On Thu, 08 May 2008, at 15:12:38 +0200,
    >>> *-* In Article gKKdnWp_kJLbYb_VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    >>> *-* squaredancer wrote
    >>> *-* About Re: avatar in email headers?

    >>> How come you're no longer adding a Face to your posts?
    >>>

    >> I was wondering the same :-P
    >>
    >> In the MessageFaces options, you can set each server to display a face -
    >> or not! Moz was switched off, for some reason... tried to replace the
    >> image several times, but it wouldn't stick - SecNews has the image in
    >> place, but the server is still down!
    >>
    >> Just had a look at the options again... if you have the extension, open
    >> Options, then the "Face Types" tab... there, you can select b/w x-face
    >> images, or local (folder...) images. My options there were both
    >> un-selected, so maybe it will work now!
    >>
    >> reg

    >>> Agreed. That (and not yet taking the time to "tweak" the
    >>> process) is what's keeping me from adding a face to my e-mails and
    >>> posts.
    >>>

    >> yep! 'tis a bind, and takes several attempts before you get it right!
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > yabba-doo - got my ugly mug and grey hairs all up there again! Seems, it
    > was the settings under the Face Types tab that were wrongly set!
    >
    > reg

    Must require MessageFaces? Mnenhy doesn't display it.

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: avatar in email headers?

    On 09.05.2008 15:35, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    generate the following:? :
    > The date and time was 5/9/2008 1:59 AM, and on a whim, squaredancer
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >

    >> On 09.05.2008 10:58, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused squaredancer
    >> to generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> On 09.05.2008 09:07, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ken Whiton to
    >>> generate the following:? :

    >>> I was wondering the same :-P
    >>>
    >>> In the MessageFaces options, you can set each server to display a face -
    >>> or not! Moz was switched off, for some reason... tried to replace the
    >>> image several times, but it wouldn't stick - SecNews has the image in
    >>> place, but the server is still down!
    >>>
    >>> Just had a look at the options again... if you have the extension, open
    >>> Options, then the "Face Types" tab... there, you can select b/w x-face
    >>> images, or local (folder...) images. My options there were both
    >>> un-selected, so maybe it will work now!
    >>>
    >>> reg

    >>> yep! 'tis a bind, and takes several attempts before you get it right!
    >>>
    >>> reg
    >>>

    >> yabba-doo - got my ugly mug and grey hairs all up there again! Seems, it
    >> was the settings under the Face Types tab that were wrongly set!
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > Must require MessageFaces? Mnenhy doesn't display it.

    looking at my mug-shot, consider yourself lucky that it don't work at
    your end :-[

    reg

  6. Re: avatar in email headers?

    On 09.05.2008 16:20, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused squaredancer
    to generate the following:? :
    > On 09.05.2008 15:35, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    > generate the following:? :
    >
    >> The date and time was 5/9/2008 1:59 AM, and on a whim, squaredancer
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>

    >>> On 09.05.2008 10:58, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused squaredancer
    >>> to generate the following:? :

    >>> yabba-doo - got my ugly mug and grey hairs all up there again! Seems, it
    >>> was the settings under the Face Types tab that were wrongly set!
    >>>
    >>> reg
    >>>

    >> Must require MessageFaces? Mnenhy doesn't display it.
    >>

    > looking at my mug-shot, consider yourself lucky that it don't work at
    > your end :-[
    >
    > reg

    hmmm - upgrading my portable TB here - the image didn't pop....

    reg

  7. Re: avatar in email headers?

    On 09.05.2008 16:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused squaredancer
    to generate the following:? :
    > On 09.05.2008 16:20, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused squaredancer
    > to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> On 09.05.2008 15:35, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>

    >>> The date and time was 5/9/2008 1:59 AM, and on a whim, squaredancer
    >>> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> Must require MessageFaces? Mnenhy doesn't display it.
    >>>

    >> looking at my mug-shot, consider yourself lucky that it don't work at
    >> your end :-[
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > hmmm - upgrading my portable TB here - the image didn't pop....
    >
    > reg

    ahhhhhh :-D copied the image to the thumbdrive... me happy camper again!

    reg

  8. Re: avatar in email headers?

    *-* On Fri, 09 May 2008, at 13:50:02 +0530,
    *-* In Article 3-6dnWyIPsyulLnVnZ2dnUVZ_gadnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* TbirdLearner wrote
    *-* About Re: avatar in email headers?

    > Does my face show up??

    I don't know if it's yours or not, but somebody's face did. ;-)

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  9. Re: avatar in email headers?

    *-* On Fri, 09 May 2008, at 10:59:48 +0200,
    *-* In Article uZSdnWirCIcfj7nVnZ2dnUVZ_vKdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* squaredancer wrote
    *-* About Re: avatar in email headers?

    > On 09.05.2008 10:58, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused
    > squaredancer to generate the following:? :

    >> On 09.05.2008 09:07, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ken
    >> Whiton to generate the following:? :

    >>> *-* squaredancer wrote

    [ ... ]

    >>> How come you're no longer adding a Face to your posts?

    >> I was wondering the same :-P

    >> In the MessageFaces options, you can set each server to display a
    >> face - or not! Moz was switched off, for some reason... tried to
    >> replace the image several times, but it wouldn't stick - SecNews
    >> has the image in place, but the server is still down!

    >> Just had a look at the options again... if you have the extension,

    If I didn't have it installed, how would I have known that you
    were no longer adding a Face to your posts? :-D

    >> open Options, then the "Face Types" tab... there, you can select
    >> b/w x-face images, or local (folder...) images. My options there
    >> were both un-selected, so maybe it will work now!

    [ ... ]

    > yabba-doo - got my ugly mug and grey hairs all up there again!
    > Seems, it was the settings under the Face Types tab that were
    > wrongly set!

    You may still have some tweaking to do. There was no Face in
    your "addendum ... Moose" post in moz.general, which was made about 8
    hours after this one I'm replying to.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  10. Re: avatar in email headers?

    *-* On Fri, 09 May 2008, at 06:35:59 -0700,
    *-* In Article I-qdnRyBKoKrzrnVnZ2dnUVZ_r7inZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Terry R. wrote
    *-* About Re: avatar in email headers?

    > The date and time was 5/9/2008 1:59 AM, and on a whim, squaredancer
    > pounded out on the keyboard:

    [ ... ]

    >> yabba-doo - got my ugly mug and grey hairs all up there again!
    >> Seems, it was the settings under the Face Types tab that were
    >> wrongly set!

    > Must require MessageFaces? Mnenhy doesn't display it.

    I think Mnenhy only displays X-Face (black-and-white) images, but
    not Face (color) images. From :

    "Since the mid-nineties the X-Face header has gotten somewhat popular
    in certain circles. The X-Face header allows people to include a
    black-and-white 48x48 image in the headers of the news and mail
    messages they send out, and many news and mail readers display this
    image.

    The primary limitation here is that these images are black-and-white.

    [ ... ]

    Ten years on, I think it's time to move on. The X-Face header was fun,
    but it would be even more fun to be able to put prettier images into
    the messages. Enter the Face header.

    The Face header is a 48x48 PNG image. ... "

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  11. Re: avatar in email headers?

    > *-* On Fri, 09 May 2008, at 13:50:02 +0530,
    > *-* In Article 3-6dnWyIPsyulLnVnZ2dnUVZ_gadnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* TbirdLearner wrote
    > *-* About Re: avatar in email headers?
    >
    >> Does my face show up??

    > I don't know if it's yours or not, but somebody's face did. ;-)
    >
    > Ken Whiton
    >
    > FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    Agree it doesn't look a bit like me ... actually I'm a 23 year old and
    that's my dad's pic

  12. Re: avatar in email headers?

    TbirdLearner wrote:
> [...]

    not on mine

  13. Re: avatar in email headers?

    On 10.05.2008 08:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ken Whiton to
    generate the following:? :
    > *-* On Fri, 09 May 2008, at 10:59:48 +0200,
    > *-* In Article uZSdnWirCIcfj7nVnZ2dnUVZ_vKdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* squaredancer wrote
    > *-* About Re: avatar in email headers?
    >

    >> On 09.05.2008 10:58, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused
    >> squaredancer to generate the following:? :
    >>

    >>> On 09.05.2008 09:07, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ken
    >>> Whiton to generate the following:? :

    > [ ... ]

    >>> I was wondering the same :-P
    >>>

    >>> In the MessageFaces options, you can set each server to display a
    >>> face - or not! Moz was switched off, for some reason... tried to
    >>> replace the image several times, but it wouldn't stick - SecNews
    >>> has the image in place, but the server is still down!
    >>>

    >>> Just had a look at the options again... if you have the extension,
    >>>

    > If I didn't have it installed, how would I have known that you
    > were no longer adding a Face to your posts? :-D

    ahhh - through the "Marvels of Windoze" - or maybe some other secret
    application??

    >>> open Options, then the "Face Types" tab... there, you can select
    >>> b/w x-face images, or local (folder...) images. My options there
    >>> were both un-selected, so maybe it will work now!
    >>>

    > [ ... ]
    >

    >> yabba-doo - got my ugly mug and grey hairs all up there again!
    >> Seems, it was the settings under the Face Types tab that were
    >> wrongly set!
    >>

    > You may still have some tweaking to do. There was no Face in
    > your "addendum ... Moose" post in moz.general, which was made about 8
    > hours after this one I'm replying to.

    I didn't notice that ****-up, so I have now changed the pic-name to
    [my-email].jpg, as per instructions on the "Face Types" tab.... see if
    it works now. If not, I'll try a re-installation of the extension!

    reg

  14. Re: avatar in email headers?

    Keith Latham wrote:
    > TbirdLearner wrote:

    mine neither

    --
    Gus

  15. Re: avatar in email headers?

    squaredancer wrote:
    > I didn't notice that ****-up, so I have now changed the pic-name to
    > [my-email].jpg, as per instructions on the "Face Types" tab.... see if
    > it works now. If not, I'll try a re-installation of the extension!

    It's working now. Does Faces only do grayscale?

  16. Re: avatar in email headers?

    On 10/05/2008 15:21, Tarkus wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> I didn't notice that ****-up, so I have now changed the pic-name to
    >> [my-email].jpg, as per instructions on the "Face Types" tab.... see
    >> if it works now. If not, I'll try a re-installation of the extension!

    > It's working now. Does Faces only do grayscale?

    I think it's only X-Faces that doesn't do colour.

    --
    wtwjgc (Joe)

  17. Re: avatar in email headers?

    On 10.05.2008 16:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Tarkus to
    generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> I didn't notice that ****-up, so I have now changed the pic-name to
    >> [my-email].jpg, as per instructions on the "Face Types" tab.... see if
    >> it works now. If not, I'll try a re-installation of the extension!
    >>

    > It's working now. Does Faces only do grayscale?

    theoretically, MessageFaces should do colour but.... the bit-size
    restriction on the uploaded pic is such that it is near impossible to
    use any colour depth.

    Read my posts to Ken re: the tabs when you open the extension's options!

    reg

  18. Re: avatar in email headers?

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 10.05.2008 16:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Tarkus to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>
    >>> I didn't notice that ****-up, so I have now changed the pic-name to
    >>> [my-email].jpg, as per instructions on the "Face Types" tab.... see
    >>> if it works now. If not, I'll try a re-installation of the extension!

    >> It's working now. Does Faces only do grayscale?

    > theoretically, MessageFaces should do colour but.... the bit-size
    > restriction on the uploaded pic is such that it is near impossible to
    > use any colour depth.

    Have you considered Gravatar instead, where there is no such
    restriction, and doesn't affect the size of your message? (Perhaps it's
    less supported on the recipients' end, though.) That's what I'm using.
    Does my avatar show up on your end? (No, that's not me.

  19. Re: avatar in email headers?

    *-* On Sat, 10 May 2008, at 09:42:24 -0400,
    *-* In Article UM-dncqW_rVbOLjVnZ2dnUVZ_jidnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Gus Richter wrote
    *-* About Re: avatar in email headers?

    > Keith Latham wrote:
    >> TbirdLearner wrote:

    [ ... ]

    >>> Does my face show up??

    >> not on mine

    > mine neither

    To both of you: do you have the MessageFaces extension installed?
    You need that to display Face header images. If you do have it
    installed, disable all your other extensions and see if you can see
    the images then. If you can, then reenable the other extensions one
    at a time until you find the one that's blocking them. I see from the
    headers on your posts that both of you are using the Lightning and
    Mnenhy extensions, so you might want to start reenabling with those
    two, since they're common to both of you.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  20. Re: avatar in email headers?

    *-* On Sat, 10 May 2008, at 10:34:18 -0700,
    *-* In Article 7a-dnVtSgOQUQbjVnZ2dnUVZ_rLinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Tarkus wrote
    *-* About Re: avatar in email headers?

    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 10.05.2008 16:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Tarkus to
    >> generate the following:? :

    [ ... ]

    >>> It's working now. Does Faces only do grayscale

    >> theoretically, MessageFaces should do colour but.... the bit-size
    >> restriction on the uploaded pic is such that it is near impossible
    >> to use any colour depth.

    > Have you considered Gravatar instead, where there is no such
    > restriction, and doesn't affect the size of your message? (Perhaps
    > it's less supported on the recipients' end, though.) That's what
    > I'm using. Does my avatar show up on your end? (No, that's not me.

    It showed up after I enabled gravatar in the MessageFaces
    options. Unfortunately, however, if there's no Face, X-Face, or
    Gravatar image to be displayed it displays a (default ?) Gravatar
    icon. Personally, I would prefer that it not display anything in that
    case, so I've disabled it again.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2