cant move saved msgs back into tbird - Mozilla

This is a discussion on cant move saved msgs back into tbird - Mozilla ; Messages I've saved outside of TB's storage folders can't be copied or moved back! Example: I receive an email which I want to save outside of the storage folders because the size is too large. After cleaning up my storage ...

  1. cant move saved msgs back into tbird

    Messages I've saved outside of TB's storage folders can't be copied or
    moved back! Example: I receive an email which I want to save outside of
    the storage folders because the size is too large. After cleaning up my
    storage folders to accommodate the email, I open it (by double-clicking
    it in my Windows Vista file system) and try to choose either Move or
    Copy ... however, nothing happens. The email remains in the Windows file
    system and doesn't show up at all in TB's storage folders. Is this a bug?

    TIA
    Russel

  2. Re: cant move saved msgs back into tbird

    On 07.05.2008 13:09 » TbirdLearner« wrote:
    > Messages I've saved outside of TB's storage folders can't be copied or
    > moved back! Example: I receive an email which I want to save outside of
    > the storage folders because the size is too large. After cleaning up my
    > storage folders to accommodate the email, I open it (by double-clicking
    > it in my Windows Vista file system) and try to choose either Move or
    > Copy ... however, nothing happens. The email remains in the Windows file
    > system and doesn't show up at all in TB's storage folders. Is this a bug?
    >
    > TIA
    > Russel

    How did you 'stored' that message outside of TB?
    TB supports with eg. context menu "Save as ..". That stores your message
    with an ".eml' format. But be careful with attachments!

  3. Re: cant move saved msgs back into tbird

    > On 07.05.2008 13:09 » TbirdLearner« wrote:
    >> Messages I've saved outside of TB's storage folders can't be copied or
    >> moved back! Example: I receive an email which I want to save outside of
    >> the storage folders because the size is too large. After cleaning up my
    >> storage folders to accommodate the email, I open it (by double-clicking
    >> it in my Windows Vista file system) and try to choose either Move or
    >> Copy ... however, nothing happens. The email remains in the Windows file
    >> system and doesn't show up at all in TB's storage folders. Is this a bug?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Russel

    > How did you 'stored' that message outside of TB?
    > TB supports with eg. context menu "Save as ..". That stores your message
    > with an ".eml' format. But be careful with attachments!

    Thanks for replying. Yes, I stored it using the 'Save As' context menu
    item. That part worked fine. But now I want to get it back into TB and
    it doesn't 'Copy' or 'Move'. Any suggestions?

  4. Re: cant move saved msgs back into tbird

    TbirdLearner wrote:
    >> On 07.05.2008 13:09 » TbirdLearner« wrote:
    >>> Messages I've saved outside of TB's storage folders can't be copied
    >>> or moved back! Example: I receive an email which I want to save
    >>> outside of the storage folders because the size is too large. After
    >>> cleaning up my storage folders to accommodate the email, I open it
    >>> (by double-clicking it in my Windows Vista file system) and try to
    >>> choose either Move or Copy ... however, nothing happens. The email
    >>> remains in the Windows file system and doesn't show up at all in
    >>> TB's storage folders. Is this a bug?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Russel

    >> How did you 'stored' that message outside of TB?
    >> TB supports with eg. context menu "Save as ..". That stores your
    >> message with an ".eml' format. But be careful with attachments!

    > Thanks for replying. Yes, I stored it using the 'Save As' context menu
    > item. That part worked fine. But now I want to get it back into TB and
    > it doesn't 'Copy' or 'Move'. Any suggestions?

    Thunderbird stores its mail in mbox formatted folder files stored in
    /Mail/. In theory, this "Save as ..." .eml file is
    just a copy of the message data. The mbox format is merely all messages
    in the folder concatenated together. So, in theory, all you really need
    to do it concatenate the .eml file(s) onto the folder file.

    To test, save a smaller message file outside of TB's storage folders.
    Also create a test folder. Then open up a dreaded command prompt (which
    are dang useful BTW) and do a "type msg.eml >> ". The
    ">>" redirects the output of type to appending it to
    the end.

    Then go back into TB and check your folder. The message should appear.
    Repeat for another .eml file. One concern is I think you might need to
    separate the messages by at least one blank line. Create a file with a
    blank line in it and then do:

    C:\> type foo.eml >> "%TB_PROFILE%\Mail\Local Folders\Test"
    C:\> type blank >> "%TB_PROFILE%\Mail\Local Folders\Test"
    C:\> type bar.eml >> "%TB_PROFILE%\Mail\Local Folders\Test"

    Where %TB_PROFILE% represents the path to your profile. Also note that
    you may need to figure out where the folder file is placed under Mail. I
    use IMAP so mine are under ImapMail\defaria.com. You probably use POP.
    I'm not sure where TB stores those folders.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an art. - Charles

  5. Re: cant move saved msgs back into tbird

    TbirdLearner keyboarded, On 5/7/2008 8:33 AM :

    Use the File Menu > Open Saved Message option. Does that work?

    --
    Ron K.

  6. Re: cant move saved msgs back into tbird

    On 07.05.2008 16:19 » Ron K.« wrote:
    > TbirdLearner keyboarded, On 5/7/2008 8:33 AM :

    just tested. Saving a msg to WINdir is OK, opening with TB as you
    described also.
    But have trouble with "re-storing" that opened msg back to the TB dir.
    On the Toolmenu there is a point "Message" with "Copy". I can selected
    different TB folders as a destination, but opening the folder will not
    show up the 'copied' msg!??
    Any further advice?

  7. Re: cant move saved msgs back into tbird

    On 07.05.2008 18:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused gNeandr to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 07.05.2008 16:19 » Ron K.« wrote:
    >
    >> TbirdLearner keyboarded, On 5/7/2008 8:33 AM :

    why the hell do you try to re-save an "open saved message" *AGAIN* ??

    reg

  8. Re: cant move saved msgs back into tbird

    > On 07.05.2008 18:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused gNeandr to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> On 07.05.2008 16:19 » Ron K.« wrote:
    >>
    >>> TbirdLearner keyboarded, On 5/7/2008 8:33 AM :

    The question is irrelevant. The point is ... why _CAN'T_ this be done
    with the "Copy" or "Move" option???

  9. Re: cant move saved msgs back into tbird

    TbirdLearner keyboarded, On 5/7/2008 11:15 PM :

    One explanation is once saved to an *.eml file it is no longer mail, so
    the copy or move mail tools would no longer apply.

    --
    Ron K.

  10. Re: cant move saved msgs back into tbird

    if the files are in .eml format you could try the ImportExport tools
    extension:
    http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

    Once the extension is installed, select the Thunderbird folder you want
    to receive the imported mail, right-click, select Import/Export and pick
    an import option.

    Lance
    *****

    TbirdLearner wrote the following on 5/7/2008 04:09 AM:
    > Messages I've saved outside of TB's storage folders can't be copied or
    > moved back! Example: I receive an email which I want to save outside of
    > the storage folders because the size is too large. After cleaning up my
    > storage folders to accommodate the email, I open it (by double-clicking
    > it in my Windows Vista file system) and try to choose either Move or
    > Copy ... however, nothing happens. The email remains in the Windows file
    > system and doesn't show up at all in TB's storage folders. Is this a bug?
    >
    > TIA
    > Russel

  11. Re: cant move saved msgs back into tbird

    Ron K. wrote:
    > TbirdLearner keyboarded, On 5/7/2008 11:15 PM :

    Workaround available:

    Create a folder with a unique name (i.e. SAVE ONE or some such)
    Place the message into the folder
    Quit Thunderbird, go into your profile, mail and find the SAVE ONE file.
    Move that to another directory/folder on your computer. Do not touch the
    SAVE ONE.msf file, leave that in the profile (if there is a SAVE ONE.sbd
    leave that as well).

    The message is now saved, outside of Thunderbird, but to re-import it,
    simply drop it back into the folder and restart Thunderbird
    Opening the folder in Thunderbird will reveal nothing (the message isnt
    there any longer until you move it back)

    The creation of the unique folder isn't neccessary, but it does help
    when moving the message back in, so you can figure out where it goes -
    use a descriptive name for the folder.

    You can use this method for any number of messages at a time, en mass if
    they are all in the same folder. Can be used for archiving.

  12. Re: cant move saved msgs back into tbird

    Ron K. wrote:
    > One explanation is once saved to an *.eml file it is no longer mail,
    > so the copy or move mail tools would no longer apply.

    How do you figure? Or do you figure at all? I'd betcha that a one
    message mbox formated folder diff's to it's equivalent .eml file.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    I forget - Which day did god make all the fossils?

+ Reply to Thread