Security Add-On - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Security Add-On - Mozilla ; Is there a Thunderbird add-on that encrypt and compress all mail folders real-time? Better prompt me to enter password in order to access local mail folders. -- @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the ...

  1. Security Add-On

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.25.1

  2. Re: Security Add-On

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) said the following On 05/05/2008 03:55 PM:
    > Is there a Thunderbird add-on that encrypt and compress
    > all mail folders real-time? Better prompt me to enter password
    > in order to access local mail folders.

    I believe Tb is actually trying to check mails in your mail accounts and
    as ( most probably ) you are using a Master password , It is prompting
    to type master password . As far as i know Tb can ask for password only
    for IMAP folders.
    "http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/tips#beh_imappassword"

    But there some other ways to protect profile folder content , you may
    see this article
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Protecting_the_contents_of_the_profile_-_mail"

  3. Re: Security Add-On

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    > Is there a Thunderbird add-on that encrypt and compress
    > all mail folders real-time? Better prompt me to enter password
    > in order to access local mail folders.

    As the mozillazine article from the other post suggests, there are no
    safe methods to store emails using only an add-on. The whole storage
    engine would have to be modified to support a safe way to do this.

    As Your footer suggests, You use Ubuntu, so it would be easy to download
    the cryptsetup package with LUKS extensions included. I use it myself
    (not for encrypting Td's profile).

    --
    Marcin Szewczyk, Wodny
    http://wodny.org

  4. Re: Security Add-On

    on 5/5/08 11:07 AM Marcin Szewczyk, Wodny said the following:
    > Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >> Is there a Thunderbird add-on that encrypt and compress
    >> all mail folders real-time? Better prompt me to enter password
    >> in order to access local mail folders.

    > As the mozillazine article from the other post suggests, there are no
    > safe methods to store emails using only an add-on. The whole storage
    > engine would have to be modified to support a safe way to do this.
    >
    > As Your footer suggests, You use Ubuntu, so it would be easy to download
    > the cryptsetup package with LUKS extensions included. I use it myself
    > (not for encrypting Td's profile).

    http://www.truecrypt.org/

    Simply make sure to activate de-crpytion before using TB.

  5. Re: Security Add-On

    on 5/5/08 5:25 AM Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) said the following:
    > Is there a Thunderbird add-on that encrypt and compress
    > all mail folders real-time? Better prompt me to enter password
    > in order to access local mail folders.

    Also look at OpenPGP for transmission security.

  6. Re: Security Add-On

    Dan wrote:
    > on 5/5/08 11:07 AM Marcin Szewczyk, Wodny said the following:
    >> Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >>> Is there a Thunderbird add-on that encrypt and compress
    >>> all mail folders real-time? Better prompt me to enter password
    >>> in order to access local mail folders.

    >> As the mozillazine article from the other post suggests, there are no
    >> safe methods to store emails using only an add-on. The whole storage
    >> engine would have to be modified to support a safe way to do this.
    >>
    >> As Your footer suggests, You use Ubuntu, so it would be easy to download
    >> the cryptsetup package with LUKS extensions included. I use it myself
    >> (not for encrypting Td's profile).
    >>

    > http://www.truecrypt.org/
    >
    > Simply make sure to activate de-crpytion before using TB.

    Why truecrypt would be better than LUKS?

    --
    Marcin Szewczyk, Wodny
    http://wodny.org
    wodny@thlen.pl (usuń h / remove h)