I have a good reason to think that TB 2.0.0.14 freezes WinXPsp2 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on I have a good reason to think that TB 2.0.0.14 freezes WinXPsp2 - Mozilla ; Hi! I have had a big problem today: every hour, Windows (XPSP2) froze for about ten minutes. The only time that I did not have this problem during more than one hour was when I closed TB. Therefore I think ...

  1. I have a good reason to think that TB 2.0.0.14 freezes WinXPsp2

    Hi!
    I have had a big problem today: every hour, Windows (XPSP2) froze for
    about ten minutes.
    The only time that I did not have this problem during more than one hour
    was when I closed TB.
    Therefore I think that TB 2.0.0.14 might be the culprit, certainly not
    directly since most of its users don't experience these freezes, but by
    its interaction with one of its add-on which is not adapted to the new
    version.
    If other people experience a similar problem, we could find which add-on
    conflicts with TB 2.0.0.14.
    If no one in the list gets these freezes, my hypothesis is wrong and I
    will have to search again for the culprit.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

  2. Re: I have a good reason to think that TB 2.0.0.14 freezes WinXPsp2

    On 05-05-2008 01:10 CET, Pierre-Jean Raugel composed this enchanting
    statement:
    > Hi!
    > I have had a big problem today: every hour, Windows (XPSP2) froze for
    > about ten minutes.
    > The only time that I did not have this problem during more than one hour
    > was when I closed TB.
    > Therefore I think that TB 2.0.0.14 might be the culprit, certainly not
    > directly since most of its users don't experience these freezes, but by
    > its interaction with one of its add-on which is not adapted to the new
    > version.
    > If other people experience a similar problem, we could find which add-on
    > conflicts with TB 2.0.0.14.
    > If no one in the list gets these freezes, my hypothesis is wrong and I
    > will have to search again for the culprit.
    > Thank you in advance for your help.

    Can you now reproduce the problem?

    If yes, run Thunderbird in its safe-mode, that is without extensions and
    the default theme. That could indicate that an extension is the culprit.
    Problem solved?

    If so, you'll need to isolate the troublemaker...

    Report back, if you have news, please.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: I have a good reason to think that TB 2.0.0.14 freezes WinXPsp2

    Melchert,
    I'll answer to your questions.
    This will take time since my problems :
    - occur after a certain delay,
    - might come from interactions between 2 programs.

    Melchert Fruitema a écrit :

    On 05-05-2008 01:10 CET, Pierre-Jean Raugel composed this enchanting statement:

    Hi! I have had a big problem today: every hour, Windows (XPSP2) froze for about ten minutes. The only time that I did not have this problem during more than one hour was when I closed TB. Therefore I think that TB 2.0.0.14 might be the culprit, certainly not directly since most of its users don't experience these freezes, but by its interaction with one of its add-on which is not adapted to the new version. If other people experience a similar problem, we could find which add-on conflicts with TB 2.0.0.14. If no one in the list gets these freezes, my hypothesis is wrong and I will have to search again for the culprit. Thank you in advance for your help.

    Can you now reproduce the problem? If yes, run Thunderbird in its safe-mode, that is without extensions and the default theme. That could indicate that an extension is the culprit. Problem solved? If so, you'll need to isolate the troublemaker... Report back, if you have news, please.

  4. Re: I have a good reason to think that TB 2.0.0.14 freezes WinXPsp2

    Finally, TB was not the culprit.
    I have solved my problem by uninstalling the defragmenting program Diskeeper and by eradicating any indirect reference to it in the registry with the script uninstdkp.vbs (http://www.bellamyjc.org/download/vbs/uninstdkp.vbs).
    When I have asked my question on this list, I had only closed Diskeeper Service. At this time, there was an evident correlation between the closing of TB and my freezing problem. After having uninstalled and eradicated Diskeeper, this correlation has disappeared since Windows does not freeze :-) .

    Melchert Fruitema a écrit :

[...]

+ Reply to Thread