Ready to scream - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Ready to scream - Mozilla ; Last week it was Firefox. Now it's TBird on a DIFFERENT machine telling me another session is running. Please close or restart computer. Yah right. Nothing happens. Nothing in task manager apps tab saying it's running. Can someone tell me ...

  1. Ready to scream

    Last week it was Firefox. Now it's TBird on a DIFFERENT machine telling
    me another session is running. Please close or restart computer.
    Yah right.

    Nothing happens.

    Nothing in task manager apps tab saying it's running. Can someone tell
    me which process to kill to it will start again?

    This time I really don't want to bomb the system to a month ago, delete
    the hidden profile and start over, as have some valuable data scattered
    over this box, so if I did a system restore would end up losing
    something even if I back it up, as would have to back up the entire
    system, bug in Tbird included I'm sure. Is vv 2.0.012 IIRC as I can't
    get it loaded on the other box.

    Thanks

  2. Message "Another session is running", but no application in the monitor

    On 04-05-2008 14:36 CET, pheasant composed this enchanting statement:
    > Last week it was Firefox. Now it's TBird on a DIFFERENT machine
    > telling me another session is running. Please close or restart computer.
    > Yah right.
    >
    > Nothing happens.
    >
    > Nothing in task manager apps tab saying it's running. Can someone
    > tell me which process to kill to it will start again?

    Did this coincide with the security update to 2.0.0.14? Did you notice
    any hiccups?

    It could be that you have not finishing the application properly with
    File Exit or Ctrl Q, but merely closed the Mail & Newsgroups window with
    the red X. The latter action may leave (sub)tasks of the application
    running, which could explain the message you get. Solution would indeed
    be to end the current user session and start a new login. You don't have
    to restart the PC.

    If all of the above is not valid or not applicable, come back for
    further analysis of the problem at hand.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: Message "Another session is running", but no application in the monitor is listed [was: Ready to scream]

    "Melchert Fruitema" wrote in message
    > Did this coincide with the security update to 2.0.0.14? Did you notice any
    > hiccups?

    no, no burps noted

    > It could be that you have not finishing the application properly with File
    > Exit or Ctrl Q, but merely closed the Mail & Newsgroups window with the
    > red X. The latter action may leave (sub)tasks of the application running,
    > which could explain the message you get. Solution would indeed be to end
    > the current user session and start a new login. You don't have to restart
    > the PC.
    >
    > If all of the above is not valid or not applicable, come back for further
    > analysis of the problem at hand.

    Good Morning Melchert

    None of the above applies.

    I have done several cold boots to no avail. Nothing looks out of the
    ordinary in msconfig startup either.
    As far as I know, this machine was fine up until this morning. I just
    finished loading OE, and now will go to a running machine and export address
    book so I can work from here until I decide what to do.

    I'm going to attempt (when I cool off) to find the date of the hidden
    profiile for t bird then delete it from current one, delete the app, revert
    to an older one llike I did last week with Firefox to see if it resolves.
    This is what I'd really like to avaoid, as I have folders for passwords,
    registration codes, recipes etc that are stored in the profile, so really
    don't want to do that if I can avoid it.
    So if you can help me find the "ghost" running process command line I'll
    kill it first to see it that resolves. But when a cold boot doesn't solve
    it, it's a grim situation for a shade tree tinkerer like me.

    Per chance Foxmarks may play into this? It told me this morning I had to
    reset the password. I would think it's seperate, and I don't allow it to
    start when I open the browser, but wanted a sync this morning, which I did
    (after changing passwords) before opening up the mail.

    Mark

  4. Re: Ready to scream

    See "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in_use#How_to_unlock_your_profile"

    > Yah right.
    >
    > Nothing happens.
    >
    > Nothing in task manager apps tab saying it's running. Can someone tell
    > me which process to kill to it will start again?
    >
    > This time I really don't want to bomb the system to a month ago, delete
    > the hidden profile and start over, as have some valuable data scattered
    > over this box, so if I did a system restore would end up losing
    > something even if I back it up, as would have to back up the entire
    > system, bug in Tbird included I'm sure. Is vv 2.0.012 IIRC as I can't
    > get it loaded on the other box.
    >
    > Thanks

  5. Re: Ready to scream

    "Nir" wrote in message
    news:VuCdnWbgCrPXVYDVnZ2dnUVZ_qXinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > pheasant said the following On 05/04/2008 06:06 PM:
    >> Last week it was Firefox. Now it's TBird on a DIFFERENT machine telling
    >> me another session is running. Please close or restart computer.

    > See "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in_use#How_to_unlock_your_profile"

    THANK YOU!!!!

    The parentlock file was not there, so that wasn't doing it. Next step was
    either delete or rename the ini file.

    Renamed the profile ini folder, it reopened like a champ! Now I've got a
    virgin copy open, will have to figure out how to get the old mail and
    newsgroup stuff from the old profile without corrupting the new one, but
    you've at least showed my how to get it fired up again.

    Think I can read more in mozillazine to figure that out. The day just got a
    bit brighter. Mebbe can dump this OE soon.

    Thanks again!

    Dang for at least 2-3 years never had to fiddle with FF or TBird. Now twice
    in the past week. Taking after Microshaft, bloat it up, and fill it with
    bugs.

    Mark

  6. Re: Ready to scream

    On 5/4/2008 5:36 AM, pheasant wrote:
    > Last week it was Firefox. Now it's TBird on a DIFFERENT machine telling
    > me another session is running. Please close or restart computer.
    > Yah right.
    >
    > Nothing happens.
    >
    > Nothing in task manager apps tab saying it's running. Can someone tell
    > me which process to kill to it will start again?
    >
    > This time I really don't want to bomb the system to a month ago, delete
    > the hidden profile and start over, as have some valuable data scattered
    > over this box, so if I did a system restore would end up losing
    > something even if I back it up, as would have to back up the entire
    > system, bug in Tbird included I'm sure. Is vv 2.0.012 IIRC as I can't
    > get it loaded on the other box.
    >
    > Thanks

    Use windows Explorer to:

    a) Display hidden files and folders (Tools>>Folder Options>>View
    b) Access your TB Profile[1] and delete the file parent.lock

    [1]For Profile Locations see:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

    --
    Irwin

  7. Re: Message "Another session is running", but no application in the

    On 04-05-2008 15:26 CET, pheasant composed this enchanting statement:
    > "Melchert Fruitema" wrote in message
    > > Did this coincide with the security update to 2.0.0.14? Did you notice any
    > > hiccups?

    > no, no burps noted
    > >
    > > It could be that you have not finishing the application properly with File
    > > Exit or Ctrl Q, but merely closed the Mail & Newsgroups window with the
    > > red X. The latter action may leave (sub)tasks of the application running,
    > > which could explain the message you get. Solution would indeed be to end
    > > the current user session and start a new login. You don't have to restart
    > > the PC.
    > >
    > > If all of the above is not valid or not applicable, come back for further
    > > analysis of the problem at hand.

    > Good Morning Melchert
    >
    > None of the above applies.
    >
    > I have done several cold boots to no avail. Nothing looks out of the
    > ordinary in msconfig startup either.
    > As far as I know, this machine was fine up until this morning. I just
    > finished loading OE, and now will go to a running machine and export address
    > book so I can work from here until I decide what to do.
    >
    > I'm going to attempt (when I cool off) to find the date of the hidden
    > profiile for t bird then delete it from current one, delete the app, revert
    > to an older one llike I did last week with Firefox to see if it resolves.
    > This is what I'd really like to avaoid, as I have folders for passwords,
    > registration codes, recipes etc that are stored in the profile, so really
    > don't want to do that if I can avoid it.
    > So if you can help me find the "ghost" running process command line I'll
    > kill it first to see it that resolves. But when a cold boot doesn't solve
    > it, it's a grim situation for a shade tree tinkerer like me.
    >
    > Per chance Foxmarks may play into this? It told me this morning I had to
    > reset the password. I would think it's seperate, and I don't allow it to
    > start when I open the browser, but wanted a sync this morning, which I did
    > (after changing passwords) before opening up the mail.
    >
    > Mark

    Good evening! You did not have a program crash, right? And you have not
    shutdown your system abruptly withgout ending the applications in a
    normal fashion. It will be difficult to pinpoint the cause of this trouble.

    In a sub-thread you said you tweaked 'profile.ini', which let you start
    Thunderbird application with a new default profile. You have two options
    now:
    - copy the application data from your previous (default) profile into
    your new acquired one. You need a scenario from the KB
    to migrate the data: search for migration or
    copy of profile data;
    - revive your old profile. For that you'll have to repair it and the
    'profile.ini'. Difficult without knowing the cause of the original problem.

    Btw., did you try to start Thunderbird in its safe-mode, to rule out an
    extension problem?

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  8. Re: Message "Another session is running", but no application in the monitor is listed [was: Ready to scream]

    "Melchert Fruitema" wrote in message
    news:CpydnSV7Yv2qzoLVnZ2dnUVZ_uKpnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    > - copy the application data from your previous (default) profile into your
    > new acquired one. You need a scenario from the KB
    > to migrate the data: search for migration or
    > copy of profile data;
    > - revive your old profile. For that you'll have to repair it and the
    > 'profile.ini'. Difficult without knowing the cause of the original
    > problem.
    >
    > Btw., did you try to start Thunderbird in its safe-mode, to rule out an
    > extension problem?

    I tried safe mode, still had the another instance running box pop up.

    So I have miograted the reference files I wanted to keep, and am still
    toying wioth it. About ready to let it become the default mail and news app
    again, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

    Thanks

  9. Re: Message "Another session is running", but no application in the

    On 06-05-2008 13:45 CET, pheasant composed this enchanting statement:
    > "Melchert Fruitema" <-x-> wrote:
    >
    > > - copy the application data from your previous (default) profile into your
    > > new acquired one. You need a scenario from the KB
    > > to migrate the data: search for migration or
    > > copy of profile data;
    > > <-x->
    > > Btw., did you try to start Thunderbird in its safe-mode, to rule out an
    > > extension problem?

    > I tried safe mode, still had the another instance running box pop up.
    >
    > So I have miograted the reference files I wanted to keep, and am still
    > toying wioth it. About ready to let it become the default mail and news app
    > again, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    >
    > Thanks

    You are welcome.

    --
    Kind regards,