How to change header information of IMAP account? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to change header information of IMAP account? - Mozilla ; Hello, How can I manually change the headers for my gmail account that I access through IMAP using Thunderbird 2.0? When I get an email from someone, the sender column reflects their name as they set it up in their ...

  1. How to change header information of IMAP account?

    Hello,

    How can I manually change the headers for my gmail account that I
    access through IMAP using Thunderbird 2.0?

    When I get an email from someone, the sender column reflects
    their name as they set it up in their email client. For example,
    the sender column in my inbox may say 'john doe' or 'john.doe'.
    How can I manually change it to something like 'John Doe'.

    Is there an add-on or something that will look at the email
    address of the sender and then change the name of the sender
    based on the name in my address book and not from the email
    headers it was sent from.

    Kindly advise. Thanks in advance.
    Fun Kid

  2. Re: How to change header information of IMAP account?

    *-* On Sat, 03 May 2008, at 19:09:30 -0500,
    *-* In Article 86udnen_KNhBY4HVnZ2dnUVZ_v7inZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Fun Kid wrote
    *-* About How to change header information of IMAP account?

    > How can I manually change the headers for my gmail account that I
    > access through IMAP using Thunderbird 2.0?

    > When I get an email from someone, the sender column reflects their
    > name as they set it up in their email client. For example, the
    > sender column in my inbox may say 'john doe' or 'john.doe'. How can
    > I manually change it to something like 'John Doe'.

    Take a look at the TB Header Tools Extension 0.6.6. There is
    information about it at
    . At the
    bottom of Post #1 on that page is a "Download" link.

    There is also an older version available at
    . One of the
    reviews there has a note of caution for you, though: "Works great
    except when e-mail has attachemnt. I use gmail and if I modify headers
    over IMAP the attachment is lost (goes to 0kb)". I don't know if the
    newer version also does that but since you use gmail/IMAP I thought
    you ought to be aware of it.

    > Is there an add-on or something that will look at the email address
    > of the sender and then change the name of the sender based on the
    > name in my address book and not from the email headers it was sent
    > from.

    From what I gather, the TB Header Tools Extension has to be used
    manually. There's no mention of any way to automate it like that.

    > Kindly advise. Thanks in advance.

    You're welcome.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  3. Re: How to change header information of IMAP account?

    On 04-05-2008 03:59 CET, Ken Whiton composed this enchanting statement:
    > On Sat, 03 May 2008, at 19:09:30 -0500, Fun Kid wrote
    >> How can I manually change the headers for my gmail account that I
    >> access through IMAP using Thunderbird 2.0?

    You cannot change headers and legally, you should not be enabled (by
    Thunderbird) do that. Do not expect any extension to do that for you,
    either.

    >> When I get an email from someone, the sender column reflects their
    >> name as they set it up in their email client. For example, the
    >> sender column in my inbox may say 'john doe' or 'john.doe'. How can
    >> I manually change it to something like 'John Doe'.

    > Take a look at the TB Header Tools Extension 0.6.6. There is
    > information about it at
    > . At the
    > bottom of Post #1 on that page is a "Download" link.
    >
    > There is also an older version available at
    > . One of the
    > reviews there has a note of caution for you, though: "Works great
    > except when e-mail has attachemnt. I use gmail and if I modify headers
    > over IMAP the attachment is lost (goes to 0kb)". I don't know if the
    > newer version also does that but since you use gmail/IMAP I thought
    > you ought to be aware of it.

    This extension would not allow you to change existing headers, but you
    can add new header tags, manually.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  4. Re: How to change header information of IMAP account?

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 04-05-2008 03:59 CET, Ken Whiton composed this enchanting
    > statement:
    >> On Sat, 03 May 2008, at 19:09:30 -0500, Fun Kid wrote
    >>> How can I manually change the headers for my gmail account
    >>> that I access through IMAP using Thunderbird 2.0?

    > You cannot change headers and legally, you should not be
    > enabled (by Thunderbird) do that. Do not expect any extension
    > to do that for you, either.
    >
    >>> When I get an email from someone, the sender column
    >>> reflects their name as they set it up in their email
    >>> client. For example, the sender column in my inbox may
    >>> say 'john doe' or 'john.doe'. How can I manually change
    >>> it to something like 'John Doe'.

    >> Take a look at the TB Header Tools Extension 0.6.6. There
    >> is information about it at
    >> . At
    >> the bottom of Post #1 on that page is a "Download" link.
    >>
    >> There is also an older version available at
    >> .
    >> One of the reviews there has a note of caution for you,
    >> though: "Works great except when e-mail has attachemnt. I
    >> use gmail and if I modify headers over IMAP the attachment
    >> is lost (goes to 0kb)". I don't know if the newer version
    >> also does that but since you use gmail/IMAP I thought you
    >> ought to be aware of it.
    >>

    > This extension would not allow you to change existing headers,
    > but you can add new header tags, manually.

    Yes, I agree with Melchert. The extension did not let my change
    my header information. I wish there is something else...or maybe
    a manual way of doing it.

+ Reply to Thread