Yahoo's email verifications - messy and useless?? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Yahoo's email verifications - messy and useless?? - Mozilla ; Yesterday I spent some time in an ATT Chat session about TBird not been able to Send emails from all of my email addresses except one. I was told about the process on the Yahoo web site and I went ...

  1. Yahoo's email verifications - messy and useless??

    Yesterday I spent some time in an ATT Chat session
    about TBird not been able to Send
    emails from all of my email addresses except one.
    I was told about the process on the
    Yahoo web site and I went through the steps for
    two email addresses, while my chatter advised me.
    Neither effort sent any verification mail to
    TBird. I left it for a few hours and came back
    again and went through the same two processes.
    They seemed to work - at least TBird recieved a
    verification email. I then went through all the
    addresses and "verified" them. Here the steps I
    took:

    Log into the Yahoo Mail Classic web browser window
    Step 0 Click on the Mail tab, and select Mail in
    the box just below it. That opens Mail Accounts
    with a window over which there are 3 buttons Add,
    Edit and Delete.
    Step 1 Click the Add button and a window opens
    with a slot for Account Name. Input
    the NAME of the 1st email address to be confirmed
    and click Continue.
    Step 2 Input the Name again and the corresponding
    email address. Click Continue.
    Step 3 'Setup mail Server.' This is a rat trap -
    ignore it (click Skip this Step button)
    Step 4 Verify Account. Click the Send Verification
    button. This opens another window
    that tells you the code has been sent to the email
    address you are verifying and it shows an empty
    box for inputting the code.
    Step 5 Go to your email prog and look for the code
    sent to the address being verified.
    Copy the code and return to the browser; input the
    code to the Verify Account box. Next click Verify
    for the account and another window is opened
    asking you to login again. Enter your main
    password here. (The password used to access the
    ATT-Yahoo web site.) Next - the code is verified
    and you are bounced back to the beginning - Mail
    Accounts - where we chose first Mail and then
    another Mail and started entering the new
    Addresses (Step 0 above).

    There is a line on top of the page with: "You can
    now send email from xxxxx@sbcglobal.net using the
    "From" pulldown on the Compose page."
    (xxxxx@sbcglobal.net is the last address you
    verified).
    Click the word Compose, which is a link, and a
    window opens, ready for an email. Type in the
    address you just verified with a subject word (and
    a love letter in the body, if you wish ;-) ).
    Click Send and then verify in your email reader
    that it has arrived.

    One caveat:

    Every time you verify the code for an email
    address, the code is sent from the
    web page to the email address in your email reader
    and you will recieve a messy message like the
    following.
    "TO VERIFY "XXXX007@sbcglobal.net" as a valid email
    address for the Yahoo! account "John_Dough",
    1. Sign in as John_Dough.
    2. Click on the following link or enter it in your
    browser.

    http://reactivate.mail.yahoo.com/pf/...l.net&.c=d3414
    c&us=us&.bm=&.send=1&.loginas=John_Dough&.done=http%3a//us.f581.mail.yahoo.com/ym/
    Account%3fAcctIdx=9%26YY=21902%26y5beta=yes%26y5be ta=yes
    3. Follow the instructions on our site. If the
    instructions ask you for your Confirmation

    Code, enter: d3414c

    Regards,

    Yahoo! Member Services"

    Either click the link to transfer the code to the
    box on the Yahoo page, or copy / paste it
    into the box, and click the Verify button.

    Now continue until Yahoo has all "verified" all
    your emails. I did all that and, when I closed and
    re-opened TBird, I checked Sending on each of the
    verified addresses. Each one had a little message:
    "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail
    server responded: From address not verified; see
    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us.......................
    Please verify that your email address is
    correct........."

    All that work for nothing. What a bunch of Yahoo
    incompetents! Why do we put up with
    this crap?

    Anyone know an ISP who runs servers efficiently
    and competently? I need a change.
    JJ

  2. Re: Yahoo's email verifications - messy and useless??

    JollyJo wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > Yahoo! Member Services"
    > __________________________________________________ ____
    >
    > Either click the link to transfer the code to the box on the Yahoo page,
    > or copy / paste it
    > into the box, and click the Verify button.
    >
    > Now continue until Yahoo has all "verified" all your emails. I did all
    > that and, when I closed and re-opened TBird, I checked Sending on each
    > of the verified addresses. Each one had a little message: "An error
    > occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: From address not
    > verified; see http://help.yahoo.com/l/us....................... Please
    > verify that your email address is correct........."
    >
    > All that work for nothing. What a bunch of Yahoo incompetents! Why do we
    > put up with
    > this crap?
    >
    > Anyone know an ISP who runs servers efficiently and competently? I need

    From a discussion on the Mozilla forum:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...0c8a2888f8cf82

    I picked up two important bits of info:

    1 Dump smtp.att.yahoo.com and replace it with
    smtpauth.sbcglobal.net AND
    2 Dump SSL for the SMTP server

    Now all my emails are working fine.

    Obviously a bunch of incompetents are mucking
    around with emails.

    Happy sending :-)

+ Reply to Thread