messages arriving as attachments - Mozilla

This is a discussion on messages arriving as attachments - Mozilla ; I have M Thunderbird version 2.0.0.12. Certain e-mail messages to me, typically reports of bounced or failed e-mails from me (but not all of them, and some other messages also), arrive in my inbox as attachments to e-mails. I know ...

  1. messages arriving as attachments

    I have M Thunderbird version 2.0.0.12.

    Certain e-mail messages to me, typically reports of bounced or failed
    e-mails from me (but not all of them, and some other messages also),
    arrive in my inbox as attachments to e-mails. I know that one species
    of such messages -- those from my service provider -- are not sent as
    attachments -- but that's how I get them.

    The problem I am about to describe does \not/ apply to attachments that
    people have sent me as such. These are messages which afaik are somehow
    transformed into attachments on their way to me or on arrival in my inbox.

    Double-clicking on them does not open them (this works on the laptop but
    not on my pc, which is where I access my e-mails). Nothing at all
    happens when I click. What I have to do is right-click to save the
    attachment somewhere (the automatic save-to-file-x option which I have
    checked does not work with these attachments), and then go to that file.
    Double-clicking still does not work. I have to right-click and select
    'open', and then wait for the box to appear so that I can scroll down to
    select the only software I have which appears to open this stuff, i.e.
    Open Office; and then I wait for that to open.

    This is tedious and clearly something is wrong. Can anyone help me to
    overcome this, please?
    --

    Susan Hoyle
    sprhoyle@phonecoop.coop

  2. Re: messages arriving as attachments

    Susan Hoyle said the following On 05/01/2008 05:29 PM:
    > I have M Thunderbird version 2.0.0.12.
    >
    > Certain e-mail messages to me, typically reports of bounced or failed
    > e-mails from me (but not all of them, and some other messages also),
    > arrive in my inbox as attachments to e-mails. I know that one species of
    > such messages -- those from my service provider -- are not sent as
    > attachments -- but that's how I get them.

    As far I know , bounced mail always contain original message as its
    attachment .

    > The problem I am about to describe does \not/ apply to attachments that
    > people have sent me as such. These are messages which afaik are somehow
    > transformed into attachments on their way to me or on arrival in my inbox.
    >
    > Double-clicking on them does not open them (this works on the laptop but
    > not on my pc, which is where I access my e-mails). Nothing at all
    > happens when I click. What I have to do is right-click to save the
    > attachment somewhere (the automatic save-to-file-x option which I have
    > checked does not work with these attachments), and then go to that file.
    > Double-clicking still does not work. I have to right-click and select
    > 'open', and then wait for the box to appear so that I can scroll down to
    > select the only software I have which appears to open this stuff, i.e.
    > Open Office; and then I wait for that to open.
    >
    > This is tedious and clearly something is wrong. Can anyone help me to
    > overcome this, please?

    What is the extension of such attachment ?
    If you enable 'Display attachment Inline' under View menu , does the
    attachment become visible in bounced message body ?

  3. Re: messages arriving as attachments

    Nir wrote: < message as its attachment .>>

    But this is the \only/ message I get. If I want to know which eaddy
    bounced, I have to go through the process described in my original e-mail...

    <>

    There is no extension. I assume that is why it doesn't open when I
    click; nor does e.g. MS Word open it. Only Open Office, for some reason.

    < attachment become visible in bounced message body ?>>

    That facility is routinely enabled on my pc, so that is not the problem...

    Thank you for this; I do appreciate your trouble. But I am no nearer a
    solution.
    --

    Susan Hoyle
    sprhoyle@phonecoop.coop

  4. Re: messages arriving as attachments

    Susan Hoyle said the following On 05/01/2008 07:18 PM:
    > Nir wrote: < > message as its attachment .>>
    >
    > But this is the \only/ message I get. If I want to know which eaddy
    > bounced, I have to go through the process described in my original
    > e-mail...
    >
    > <>
    >
    > There is no extension. I assume that is why it doesn't open when I
    > click; nor does e.g. MS Word open it. Only Open Office, for some reason.

    Wondering if its a 'TNEF attachments' :
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Winmail.dat_attachments#Identifying_TNEF_attachmen ts"

    > < > attachment become visible in bounced message body ?>>
    >
    > That facility is routinely enabled on my pc, so that is not the problem...

    What is the 'Content-Type' of that attachment ?

    > Thank you for this; I do appreciate your trouble. But I am no nearer a
    > solution.

+ Reply to Thread