Empty Trash - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Empty Trash - Mozilla ; Where do the files go when you empty Trash? It's sure not the Recycle Bin! -- Pete Holsberg Columbus, NJ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticize them, you're a ...

  1. Empty Trash

    Where do the files go when you empty Trash? It's sure not the Recycle Bin!

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes,
    that way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their
    shoes.
    - Frieda Norris

  2. Re: Empty Trash

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Where do the files go when you empty Trash? It's sure not the Recycle Bin!

    The only place I can think is Deleted - the
    pointers the HD has for them have been deleted -
    just like any other deletion. They are still on
    the HD and they will be written over sooner or
    later.

  3. Re: Empty Trash

    On 01.05.2008 01:01, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Pete Holsberg
    to generate the following:? :
    > Where do the files go when you empty Trash? It's sure not the Recycle Bin!

    to a place called Nirvana - the electrons' equivillant of mans' heaven.

    reg

  4. Re: Empty Trash

    On 01-05-2008 01:01 CET, Pete Holsberg composed this enchanting statement:
    > Where do the files go when you empty Trash? It's sure not the Recycle
    > Bin!

    They may still be present, but invisible to the human eye. :-)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  5. Re: Empty Trash

    On Apr 30, 8:01 pm, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Where do the files go when you empty Trash? It's sure not the Recycle Bin!
    >
    > --
    > Pete Holsberg
    > Columbus, NJ
    >
    > Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes,
    > that way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their
    > shoes.
    > - Frieda Norris

    They're gone forever unless you use Windows Vista's Shadow Copy
    feature to restore your mail before you deleted it.

  6. Re: Empty Trash

    On 01-05-2008 12:52 CET, Alpha Nerd composed this enchanting statement:

    > They're gone forever unless you use Windows Vista's Shadow Copy
    > feature to restore your mail before you deleted it.

    Well, the deleted messages in Tb are not gone really and are
    recoverable, until you compact the
    folder.

    Obviously when make a copy, you'll have backup. What would be your
    advise for non-vista users?

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  7. Re: Empty Trash

    Melchert Fruitema said the following On 05/01/2008 07:17 PM:
    > On 01-05-2008 12:52 CET, Alpha Nerd composed this enchanting statement:
    >>

    >> They're gone forever unless you use Windows Vista's Shadow Copy
    >> feature to restore your mail before you deleted it.

    > Well, the deleted messages in Tb are not gone really and are
    > recoverable, until you compact the
    > folder.

    Melchert, if you delete a message from _Trash_ or just empty trash , it
    will be permanently deleted from Trash _mbox_ file . Do you have any
    different experience ?

    I believe you want to mean that message still exist in mbox file of
    corresponding folder where from it was deleted .

  8. Re: Empty Trash

    The date and time was 5/1/2008 7:13 AM, and on a whim, Nir pounded out
    on the keyboard:

    > Melchert Fruitema said the following On 05/01/2008 07:17 PM:
    >> On 01-05-2008 12:52 CET, Alpha Nerd composed this enchanting statement:
    >>>

    >>> They're gone forever unless you use Windows Vista's Shadow Copy
    >>> feature to restore your mail before you deleted it.

    >> Well, the deleted messages in Tb are not gone really and are
    >> recoverable, until you compact the
    >> folder.

    > Melchert, if you delete a message from _Trash_ or just empty trash , it
    > will be permanently deleted from Trash _mbox_ file . Do you have any
    > different experience ?
    >
    > I believe you want to mean that message still exist in mbox file of
    > corresponding folder where from it was deleted .

    The Trash folder (at least for me) functions the same way all the other
    ones do. If a file is deleted, it is only "marked" as deleted until you
    Compact. Then it's removed from the file. YMMV

    --
    Terry R.

  9. Re: Empty Trash

    The date and time was 4/30/2008 4:01 PM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Where do the files go when you empty Trash? It's sure not the Recycle Bin!

    Since the "Trash" folder is a single file, and deleted emails are only
    "marked" as deleted until you Compact, they remain in the Trash file.
    Once you Compact, the file is re-written, so the Trash file will never
    wind up in the Recycle Bin.

    --
    Terry R.

  10. Re: Empty Trash

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 4/30/2008 4:01 PM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> Where do the files go when you empty Trash? It's sure not the Recycle
    >> Bin!
    >>

    > Since the "Trash" folder is a single file, and deleted emails are only
    > "marked" as deleted until you Compact, they remain in the Trash file.
    > Once you Compact, the file is re-written, so the Trash file will never
    > wind up in the Recycle Bin.

    I read somewhere that "Empty Trash" automatically compacts the trash
    folder. Anyone know if that's true?

  11. Re: Empty Trash

    The date and time was 5/1/2008 9:03 AM, and on a whim, Fred Winter >
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 4/30/2008 4:01 PM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> Where do the files go when you empty Trash? It's sure not the Recycle
    >>> Bin!
    >>>

    >> Since the "Trash" folder is a single file, and deleted emails are only
    >> "marked" as deleted until you Compact, they remain in the Trash file.
    >> Once you Compact, the file is re-written, so the Trash file will never
    >> wind up in the Recycle Bin.
    >>

    > I read somewhere that "Empty Trash" automatically compacts the trash
    > folder. Anyone know if that's true?

    I just tested it and that is the case. I usually just remove some at a
    time and then compact.

    --
    Terry R.

  12. Re: Empty Trash

    Terry R. has written on 5/1/2008 11:26 AM:
    > The date and time was 4/30/2008 4:01 PM, Pete Holsberg
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >

    >> Where do the files go when you empty Trash? It's sure not the Recycle Bin!
    >>

    > Since the "Trash" folder is a single file, and deleted emails are only
    > "marked" as deleted until you Compact, they remain in the Trash file.
    > Once you Compact, the file is re-written, so the Trash file will never
    > wind up in the Recycle Bin.

    I guess it's a philosophical question, but why wouldn't a deleted file
    from the "Trash" folder be "sent" to the Windows' Recycle Bin?

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish...
    -- Euripides

  13. Re: Empty Trash

    On 01/05/08 18:34, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Terry R. has written on 5/1/2008 11:26 AM:
    >> The date and time was 4/30/2008 4:01 PM, Pete Holsberg pounded out on
    >> the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> Where do the files go when you empty Trash? It's sure not the Recycle
    >>> Bin!

    >> Since the "Trash" folder is a single file, and deleted emails are only
    >> "marked" as deleted until you Compact, they remain in the Trash file.
    >> Once you Compact, the file is re-written, so the Trash file will never
    >> wind up in the Recycle Bin.

    > I guess it's a philosophical question, but why wouldn't a deleted file
    > from the "Trash" folder be "sent" to the Windows' Recycle Bin?

    Because, as said above by Terry, each mail "folder" is not a folder in
    the OS sense of the word, but just two files: contains the
    actual text, including mail deleted since the last compaction, and
    .msf is an index allowing to quickly retrieve a mail.
    "Deleting" one email simply marks it as deleted but is not a "remove
    file" action from the OS's POV. "Compacting" a "folder" consists of
    rewriting the file without the mail marked as deleted and
    updating the .msf to point to the mails' new offsets within
    the modified file. "Emptying trash" means truncating Trash and Trash.msf
    to zero-length, and "compacting" an empty folder does the same for _its_
    two files -- no file is ever deleted at the OS level, unless, maybe, you
    delete a full mail "folder".

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    You can't judge a book by the way it wears its hair.

  14. Re: Empty Trash

    Tony Mechelynck has written on 5/1/2008 2:10 PM:
    > On 01/05/08 18:34, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >
    >> Terry R. has written on 5/1/2008 11:26 AM:
    >>
    >>> The date and time was 4/30/2008 4:01 PM, Pete Holsberg pounded out on
    >>> the keyboard:

    >>> Since the "Trash" folder is a single file, and deleted emails are only
    >>> "marked" as deleted until you Compact, they remain in the Trash file.
    >>> Once you Compact, the file is re-written, so the Trash file will never
    >>> wind up in the Recycle Bin.
    >>>

    >> I guess it's a philosophical question, but why wouldn't a deleted file
    >> from the "Trash" folder be "sent" to the Windows' Recycle Bin?
    >>

    > Because, as said above by Terry, each mail "folder" is not a folder in
    > the OS sense of the word, but just two files: contains the
    > actual text, including mail deleted since the last compaction, and
    > .msf is an index allowing to quickly retrieve a mail.
    > "Deleting" one email simply marks it as deleted but is not a "remove
    > file" action from the OS's POV. "Compacting" a "folder" consists of
    > rewriting the file without the mail marked as deleted and
    > updating the .msf to point to the mails' new offsets within
    > the modified file. "Emptying trash" means truncating Trash and Trash.msf
    > to zero-length, and "compacting" an empty folder does the same for _its_
    > two files -- no file is ever deleted at the OS level, unless, maybe, you
    > delete a full mail "folder".

    That all makes sense. Emptying the trash pseudo-folder does not delete
    any files.

    Thanks.

  15. Re: Empty Trash

    On 01-05-2008 16:13 CET, Nir composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema said the following On 05/01/2008 07:17 PM:
    >> On 01-05-2008 12:52 CET, Alpha Nerd composed this enchanting statement:
    >>>

    >>> They're gone forever unless you use Windows Vista's Shadow Copy
    >>> feature to restore your mail before you deleted it.

    >> Well, the deleted messages in Tb are not gone really and are
    >> recoverable, until you compact the
    >> folder.

    > Melchert, if you delete a message from _Trash_ or just empty trash ,
    > it will be permanently deleted from Trash _mbox_ file . Do you have
    > any different experience ?

    Right click on Trash folder, after deleting a message leaving some
    others, and select Compact. You can select that option, can you?

    > I believe you want to mean that message still exist in mbox file of
    > corresponding folder where from it was deleted .

    Well, I meant it still exist in any folder from where it was deleted,
    Trash included.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  16. Re: Empty Trash

    Melchert Fruitema said the following On 05/02/2008 01:56 AM:
    > On 01-05-2008 16:13 CET, Nir composed this enchanting statement:
    >> Melchert Fruitema said the following On 05/01/2008 07:17 PM:
    >>> On 01-05-2008 12:52 CET, Alpha Nerd composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> Well, the deleted messages in Tb are not gone really and are
    >>> recoverable, until you compact the
    >>> folder.

    >> Melchert, if you delete a message from _Trash_ or just empty trash ,
    >> it will be permanently deleted from Trash _mbox_ file . Do you have
    >> any different experience ?

    > Right click on Trash folder, after deleting a message leaving some
    > others, and select Compact. You can select that option, can you?

    I actually meant 'delete all messages from Trash or just empty folder' .
    Sorry for the confusion .

    >> I believe you want to mean that message still exist in mbox file of
    >> corresponding folder where from it was deleted .
    >>

    > Well, I meant it still exist in any folder from where it was deleted,
    > Trash included.

+ Reply to Thread