Coercive Spellcheck - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Coercive Spellcheck - Mozilla ; When composing an email in 2.0.0.12, my experience so far is that any word in the message title that Spellcheck doesn't agree with is underlined in red as an error to be corrected. I know it's tied into Spellcheck because ...

  1. Coercive Spellcheck

    When composing an email in 2.0.0.12, my experience so far is that any word
    in the message title that Spellcheck doesn't agree with is underlined in red
    as an error to be corrected. I know it's tied into Spellcheck because once I
    add it to the dictionary (DOJ & Wiki, in this case), it goes away. I
    rummaged through help and about:config but could find nothing, so, speaking
    of going away, can someone make this microsoftian-like malevolence go away.

  2. Re: Coercive Spellcheck

    On 30/04/2008 21:46, Roger Fink wrote:
    > When composing an email in 2.0.0.12, my experience so far is that any word
    > in the message title that Spellcheck doesn't agree with is underlined in red
    > as an error to be corrected. I know it's tied into Spellcheck because once I
    > add it to the dictionary (DOJ & Wiki, in this case), it goes away. I
    > rummaged through help and about:config but could find nothing, so, speaking
    > of going away, can someone make this microsoftian-like malevolence go away.

    Have you checked in Tools - Options - Composition - Spelling?
    See what you have ticked.

    --
    wtwjgc (Joe)
    http://www.localcooling.com/ref/?type=link&id=26575

  3. Re: Coercive Spellcheck

    wtwjgc wrote:
    > On 30/04/2008 21:46, Roger Fink wrote:
    >> When composing an email in 2.0.0.12, my experience so far is that
    >> any word in the message title that Spellcheck doesn't agree with is
    >> underlined in red as an error to be corrected. I know it's tied into
    >> Spellcheck because once I add it to the dictionary (DOJ & Wiki, in
    >> this case), it goes away. I rummaged through help and about:config
    >> but could find nothing, so, speaking of going away, can someone make
    >> this microsoftian-like malevolence go away.
    >>

    > Have you checked in Tools - Options - Composition - Spelling?
    > See what you have ticked.

    Yes I did. Nothing is checked. By the way, this only happens in the message
    title, not the body of the text.

  4. Re: Coercive Spellcheck

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > When composing an email in 2.0.0.12, my experience so far is that any word
    > in the message title that Spellcheck doesn't agree with is underlined in red
    > as an error to be corrected. I know it's tied into Spellcheck because once I
    > add it to the dictionary (DOJ & Wiki, in this case), it goes away. I
    > rummaged through help and about:config but could find nothing, so, speaking
    > of going away, can someone make this microsoftian-like malevolence go away.

    I'd rather they concentrate on making the spellchecker work better.
    Many, many times I've seen it unable to guess a spelling mistake when a
    word simply had one vowel wrong. And yet other times it's able to guess
    correctly on much worse spelling mistakes.

  5. Re: Coercive Spellcheck

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > wtwjgc wrote:
    >> On 30/04/2008 21:46, Roger Fink wrote:
    >>> When composing an email in 2.0.0.12, my experience so far is that
    >>> any word in the message title that Spellcheck doesn't agree with is
    >>> underlined in red as an error to be corrected. I know it's tied into
    >>> Spellcheck because once I add it to the dictionary (DOJ & Wiki, in
    >>> this case), it goes away. I rummaged through help and about:config
    >>> but could find nothing, so, speaking of going away, can someone make
    >>> this microsoftian-like malevolence go away.
    >>>

    >> Have you checked in Tools - Options - Composition - Spelling?
    >> See what you have ticked.

    > Yes I did. Nothing is checked. By the way, this only happens in the message
    > title, not the body of the text.

    [Tools-->Options]*-->Composition [Spelling]

    un-enable

    [] Enable spell check as you type

    If you have spell check as you type enabled, it will mark the subject
    line mispellings as you note. Un enable it and it shouldn't.

    This is seperate from the spellcheck before sending, which (for the
    subject lines) doesn't make any difference whether you have it on or not.

    *varies by OS
    Linux
    [Edit-->Preferences]
    Mac
    [Thunderbird-->Preferences]
    Windows as above

  6. Re: Coercive Spellcheck

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> wtwjgc wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Have you checked in Tools - Options - Composition - Spelling?
    >>> See what you have ticked.

    >> Yes I did. Nothing is checked. By the way, this only happens in the
    >> message title, not the body of the text.
    >>

    > [Tools-->Options]*-->Composition [Spelling]
    >
    > un-enable
    >
    > [] Enable spell check as you type
    >

    > If you have spell check as you type enabled, it will mark the subject
    > line mispellings as you note. Un enable it and it shouldn't.
    >
    > This is seperate from the spellcheck before sending, which (for the
    > subject lines) doesn't make any difference whether you have it on or
    > not.
    >

    > *varies by OS
    > Linux
    > [Edit-->Preferences]
    > Mac
    > [Thunderbird-->Preferences]
    > Windows as above

    It's not enabled, but it doesn't seem to know that in the message header
    (only).

  7. Re: Coercive Spellcheck

    On 4/30/2008 18:22, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> wtwjgc wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Have you checked in Tools - Options - Composition - Spelling?
    >>> See what you have ticked.

    >> Yes I did. Nothing is checked. By the way, this only happens in the message
    >> title, not the body of the text.
    >>

    > [Tools-->Options]*-->Composition [Spelling]
    >
    > un-enable
    >
    > [] Enable spell check as you type
    >

    > If you have spell check as you type enabled, it will mark the subject
    > line mispellings as you note. Un enable it and it shouldn't.
    >
    > This is seperate from the spellcheck before sending, which (for the
    > subject lines) doesn't make any difference whether you have it on or not.
    >

    > *varies by OS
    > Linux
    > [Edit-->Preferences]
    > Mac
    > [Thunderbird-->Preferences]
    > Windows as above

    Very confusing indeed.....

    In Windows, "Message Compose" window, at the very top....
    "Options" ( between View and Tools) drop down menu has an entry for:
    Spell Check As You Type

    Toggling this entry seems to turn on and of the spellcheck of the
    subject line ? and message body.

    It apppears to be independent from:
    [Tools-->Options]*-->Composition [Spelling]

    mentioned above by Dan.

    I also appears to be be "session" setting as I can not find a setting
    any place either as default or user set.

    very confusing indeed.

    regards:captjlddavis

  8. Re: Coercive Spellcheck

    Roger Fink keyboarded, On 4/30/2008 9:53 PM :
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Roger Fink wrote:

    >>> Yes I did. Nothing is checked. By the way, this only happens in the
    >>> message title, not the body of the text.
    >>>

    >> [Tools-->Options]*-->Composition [Spelling]
    >>
    >> un-enable
    >>
    >> [] Enable spell check as you type
    >>

    >> If you have spell check as you type enabled, it will mark the subject
    >> line mispellings as you note. Un enable it and it shouldn't.
    >>
    >> This is seperate from the spellcheck before sending, which (for the
    >> subject lines) doesn't make any difference whether you have it on or
    >> not.
    >>

    >> *varies by OS
    >> Linux
    >> [Edit-->Preferences]
    >> Mac
    >> [Thunderbird-->Preferences]
    >> Windows as above
    >>

    > It's not enabled, but it doesn't seem to know that in the message header
    > (only).

    This may be a side effect of the core changes that give Fx it's ability
    to spell check text form fields in web pages.

    --
    Ron K.

  9. Re: Coercive Spellcheck

    captjlddavis wrote:
    > On 4/30/2008 18:22, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Roger Fink wrote:

    >>> Yes I did. Nothing is checked. By the way, this only happens in the
    >>> message title, not the body of the text.
    >>>

    >> [Tools-->Options]*-->Composition [Spelling]
    >>
    >> un-enable
    >>
    >> [] Enable spell check as you type
    >>

    >> If you have spell check as you type enabled, it will mark the subject
    >> line mispellings as you note. Un enable it and it shouldn't.
    >>
    >> This is seperate from the spellcheck before sending, which (for the
    >> subject lines) doesn't make any difference whether you have it on or
    >> not.
    >>

    >> *varies by OS
    >> Linux
    >> [Edit-->Preferences]
    >> Mac
    >> [Thunderbird-->Preferences]
    >> Windows as above
    >>

    > Very confusing indeed.....
    >
    > In Windows, "Message Compose" window, at the very top....
    > "Options" ( between View and Tools) drop down menu has an entry for:
    > Spell Check As You Type
    >
    > Toggling this entry seems to turn on and of the spellcheck of the
    > subject line ? and message body.
    >
    > It apppears to be independent from:
    > [Tools-->Options]*-->Composition [Spelling]
    >
    > mentioned above by Dan.
    >
    > I also appears to be be "session" setting as I can not find a setting
    > any place either as default or user set.
    >
    > very confusing indeed.
    >
    > regards:captjlddavis

    Very Interesting. I just now deliberately checked "Spell Check As You Type"
    in the drop down menu to deliberately cause errors in the message header to
    be underlined. Then I undid the selection and the underlining went away.
    Then, without changing the spell check menu setting, I closed the message
    without saving it and started a new one. This time the deliberate spelling
    errors in the header were not underlined.

    I don't remember in my recent default installation (which I did after a
    typical uninstall of the old one) whether the setting for spell check was
    enabled or disabled, but if it was enabled, then I'd speculate that
    disabling through the dialog box only affects the body of the email and that
    the message header is out of sync until the drop down menu is reset.

  10. Re: Coercive Spellcheck

    On 4/30/2008 8:25 PM, captjlddavis wrote:
    > On 4/30/2008 18:22, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Roger Fink wrote:

    >>> Yes I did. Nothing is checked. By the way, this only happens in the message
    >>> title, not the body of the text.
    >>>

    >> [Tools-->Options]*-->Composition [Spelling]
    >>
    >> un-enable
    >>
    >> [] Enable spell check as you type
    >>

    >> If you have spell check as you type enabled, it will mark the subject
    >> line mispellings as you note. Un enable it and it shouldn't.
    >>
    >> This is seperate from the spellcheck before sending, which (for the
    >> subject lines) doesn't make any difference whether you have it on or not.
    >>

    >> *varies by OS
    >> Linux
    >> [Edit-->Preferences]
    >> Mac
    >> [Thunderbird-->Preferences]
    >> Windows as above
    >>

    > Very confusing indeed.....
    >
    > In Windows, "Message Compose" window, at the very top....
    > "Options" ( between View and Tools) drop down menu has an entry for:
    > Spell Check As You Type
    >
    > Toggling this entry seems to turn on and of the spellcheck of the
    > subject line ? and message body.
    >
    > It apppears to be independent from:
    > [Tools-->Options]*-->Composition [Spelling]
    >
    > mentioned above by Dan.
    >
    > I also appears to be be "session" setting as I can not find a setting
    > any place either as default or user set.
    >
    > very confusing indeed.
    >
    > regards:captjlddavis

    Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>General>>Config Editor

    Use the filter "spell" to view the available options.

    --
    Irwin

  11. Re: Coercive Spellcheck

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Roger Fink keyboarded, On 4/30/2008 9:53 PM :
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> [Tools-->Options]*-->Composition [Spelling]
    >>>
    >>> un-enable
    >>>
    >>> [] Enable spell check as you type
    >>>

    >>> If you have spell check as you type enabled, it will mark the subject
    >>> line mispellings as you note. Un enable it and it shouldn't.
    >>>
    >>> This is seperate from the spellcheck before sending, which (for the
    >>> subject lines) doesn't make any difference whether you have it on or
    >>> not.
    >>>

    >>> *varies by OS
    >>> Linux
    >>> [Edit-->Preferences]
    >>> Mac
    >>> [Thunderbird-->Preferences]
    >>> Windows as above
    >>>

    >> It's not enabled, but it doesn't seem to know that in the message header
    >> (only).
    >>

    > This may be a side effect of the core changes that give Fx it's ability
    > to spell check text form fields in web pages.

    Firefox? This is about Thunderbird

  12. Re: Coercive Spellcheck

    Moz Champion (Dan) keyboarded, On 5/1/2008 1:04 AM :
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Roger Fink keyboarded, On 4/30/2008 9:53 PM :

    >>> It's not enabled, but it doesn't seem to know that in the message
    >>> header
    >>> (only).
    >>>

    >> This may be a side effect of the core changes that give Fx it's
    >> ability to spell check text form fields in web pages.
    >>

    > Firefox? This is about Thunderbird

    Right, but it shares some common core from Gecko.

    --
    Ron K.

  13. Re: Coercive Spellcheck

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > When composing an email in 2.0.0.12, my experience so far is that any word
    > in the message title that Spellcheck doesn't agree with is underlined in red
    > as an error to be corrected. I know it's tied into Spellcheck because once I
    > add it to the dictionary (DOJ & Wiki, in this case), it goes away. I
    > rummaged through help and about:config but could find nothing, so, speaking
    > of going away, can someone make this microsoftian-like malevolence go away.

    Sure, just turn it off in options.
    BTW, many people LIKE this feature, very much, and I am one of those.
    At least it doesn't beep at you like some other applications.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  14. Re: Coercive Spellcheck

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> When composing an email in 2.0.0.12, my experience so far is that
    >> any word in the message title that Spellcheck doesn't agree with is
    >> underlined in red as an error to be corrected. I know it's tied into
    >> Spellcheck because once I add it to the dictionary (DOJ & Wiki, in
    >> this case), it goes away. I rummaged through help and about:config
    >> but could find nothing, so, speaking of going away, can someone make
    >> this microsoftian-like malevolence go away.
    >>

    > Sure, just turn it off in options.
    > BTW, many people LIKE this feature, very much, and I am one of those.
    > At least it doesn't beep at you like some other applications.

    Sorry, and no bad vibe implied or intended, but as I said above, twice, it's
    off. The on-off setting in the dialog box works differently then the one in
    the drop-down menu, as the captain has pointed out.

+ Reply to Thread