Filters - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Filters - Mozilla ; Can a filter be made in TB using PART of a word? For instance, I get a lot of crap mail pusing "medz" or "med_icines" or "meds" and I wonder if a filter can be made just for the occurence ...

  1. Filters

    Can a filter be made in TB using PART of a word? For instance, I get a
    lot of crap mail pusing "medz" or "med_icines" or "meds" and I wonder if
    a filter can be made just for the occurence of "med"? Thanks

  2. Re: Filters

    Al said the following On 04/30/2008 08:18 PM:
    > Can a filter be made in TB using PART of a word? For instance, I get a
    > lot of crap mail pusing "medz" or "med_icines" or "meds" and I wonder if
    > a filter can be made just for the occurence of "med"? Thanks

    Create a filter like this

    "http://tinyurl.com/4ttll8"

    This filter is for Subject line , you can add another rule in same
    filter for Body also .

  3. Re: Filters

    Al wrote:
    > Can a filter be made in TB using PART of a word? For instance, I get a
    > lot of crap mail pusing "medz" or "med_icines" or "meds" and I wonder if
    > a filter can be made just for the occurence of "med"? Thanks

    You can, but why waste your time? The spammers do that to make you jump
    through hoops when filtering. You filter out medz, they switch to
    med_icines, you filter that, they switch to meds, and so on ad
    infinitum. By the time you are finished you have hundreds of filters and
    the spam is STILL getting through.

    Filtering on words (manually) is, to put it simply, a waste of time. For
    an EFFECTIVE spam filtering solution, I recommend Thunderbird's Junk
    Mail Controls. Mine here is catching over 99% of spam sent my way, for
    every spam that makes it through to my inbox, there are over 300 in my
    'Junk' folder. And as for 'false positives' I have had exactly ONE in
    the last ten months (and corrected that by putting the sender
    (newsletter) in my address book)

    While Thunderbird's JMC is using 'words' (amongst other things) it
    adapts to spammers changes automatically - you don't have to worry what
    'new' word they came up with, JMC will sort it out for you. Simply turn
    JMC on, then mark messages that are spam as Junk (click on the Junk
    button). Additionally, mark any messages that are NOT spam, but were
    picked up by JMC, as Not Junk (click on the button again). You don't
    have to read a spam to figure out their latest trick or why it got
    around your filters, JMC does that for you.

    Other spam filtering agents work quite well too, but I find that JMC is
    quite enough (over 99%) for my purposes, and the price is right

  4. Re: Filters

    Al wrote:
    > Can a filter be made in TB using PART of a word? For instance, I get a
    > lot of crap mail pusing "medz" or "med_icines" or "meds" and I wonder if
    > a filter can be made just for the occurence of "med"? Thanks

    Sure, but remember, the shorter you make the string, the more likely you
    will filter things you didn't want to filter. That filter would also
    filter 'meditation, medium, etc.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  5. Re: Filters

    Al wrote:
    > Can a filter be made in TB using PART of a word? For instance, I get a
    > lot of crap mail pusing "medz" or "med_icines" or "meds" and I wonder if
    > a filter can be made just for the occurence of "med"? Thanks

    Yes, but you won't see mail from me. I live in Medstead. OK, you'd be OK
    as log as I didn't mention my address, or the fact that I do meditation.

    --
    Steve Swift
    http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html

+ Reply to Thread