Thunderbird GONE overnight - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird GONE overnight - Mozilla ; Last night when I shut down my computer, everything was fine. This morning I turn it on and go to check my email, and my Thunderbird is wiped out, says I need to add my accounts, nothing is there. All ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. Thunderbird GONE overnight

    Last night when I shut down my computer, everything was fine. This morning I
    turn it on and go to check my email, and my Thunderbird is wiped out, says I
    need to add my accounts, nothing is there. All of my saved data, hundreds of
    important emails with info gone overnight. I had to re add my 2 email
    accounts. I did system restore to yesterday, but it didn't help that
    situation. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, nothing. Anything I can do?
    Staci

  2. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    Staci said the following On 04/30/2008 08:01 PM:
    > Last night when I shut down my computer, everything was fine. This morning I
    > turn it on and go to check my email, and my Thunderbird is wiped out, says I
    > need to add my accounts, nothing is there. All of my saved data, hundreds of
    > important emails with info gone overnight. I had to re add my 2 email
    > accounts. I did system restore to yesterday, but it didn't help that
    > situation. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, nothing. Anything I can do?
    > Staci

    Don't worry , Thunderbird has just forgotten about the existence of your
    actual profile folder ( sometime happens due to profiles.ini file
    corruption ) but all personal data still exist in your system .
    Here are detailed steps about how to solve this problem
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Recovering_a_profile_that_suddenly_disappeared"

  3. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    On 30.04.2008 09:31, Staci wrote:

    > Last night when I shut down my computer, everything was fine. This morning I
    > turn it on and go to check my email, and my Thunderbird is wiped out, says I
    > need to add my accounts, nothing is there. All of my saved data, hundreds of
    > important emails with info gone overnight. I had to re add my 2 email
    > accounts. I did system restore to yesterday, but it didn't help that
    > situation. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, nothing. Anything I can do?
    > Staci

    As Nir says ... Also can happen caused by not closing TB prior to
    shutdown. A good thing to remember.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  4. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 30.04.2008 09:31, Staci wrote:

    Of course, while that's easy enough to say, it's not always easy to do.
    I rarely "shut down" my machines in any sense. When they "shut down",
    it's done by the power company or by some app that crashes the system.
    It's hard to anticipate that sort of shutdown.

    And an app that loses its important files during a system crash has a
    serious black mark in its record ...

  5. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    Thank you very very much.
    I went there, and it looks like this below is my problem, since my
    thunderbird address book is intact- but I got lost part way thru these
    instructions, cannot seem to get my profile back.
    Corrupt or empty prefs.js
    A "empty" pref.js file typically isn't totally empty. It may have a few
    lines such as

    user_pref("mail.smtpservers", "");
    user_pref("mailnews.quotingPrefs.version", 1);
    user_pref("mailnews.ui.threadpane.version", 5);
    user_pref("prefs.converted-to-utf8", true);
    or a couple dozen lines setting lots of unimportant preferences. Whats
    important is whether it still contains your account information, not how big
    it is.

    Open the prefs.js file with Notepad and search for the string mail.account .
    Its used in statements such as user_pref("mail.account.account1.server",
    "server1"); to define an account and in statements such as
    user_pref("mail.accountmanager.accounts", "account1, account2, account3");
    to list what accounts exists. If you can't find any then your prefs.js file
    is either empty or corrupt.

    1. Exit Thunderbird and make a backup copy of the prefs.js file.

    2. If you have a backup of your profile replace the "bad" prefs.js file with
    one from your backup. If you made your backup using Mozbackup you can unzip
    the "*.pcv" backup file as described here to get the backed up prefs.js
    file. Normally you won't have a "prefs.bak" file in your profile. However,
    if you do you could also try using it as the backup copy.

    3. If you don't have a backup of prefs.js try running CHKDSK to recover the
    file. You may be able to recover it in a C:\FOUND.000 directory. If you're
    using Linux or OSX try using fsck to recover the file.

    4. Otherwise you will need to rebuild prefs.js. You can do this by creating
    the same accounts again in the existing profile and setting Thunderbird to
    use the local directories that still contain the missing mail, per this
    article. Another option is to create a new profile using the Profile Manager
    , create the accounts again, and then migrate your mail , address books,
    filters and other mail related files from the old profile per this article .

    [edit]
    "Nir" wrote in message
    : Staci said the following On 04/30/2008 08:01 PM:
    : > Last night when I shut down my computer, everything was fine. This
    morning I
    : > turn it on and go to check my email, and my Thunderbird is wiped out,
    says I
    : > need to add my accounts, nothing is there. All of my saved data,
    hundreds of
    : > important emails with info gone overnight. I had to re add my 2 email
    : > accounts. I did system restore to yesterday, but it didn't help that
    : > situation. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, nothing. Anything I can
    do?
    : > Staci
    : >
    : >
    :
    : Don't worry , Thunderbird has just forgotten about the existence of your
    : actual profile folder ( sometime happens due to profiles.ini file
    : corruption ) but all personal data still exist in your system .
    : Here are detailed steps about how to solve this problem
    : "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Recovering_a_profile_that_suddenly_disappeared"

  6. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    On 30.04.2008 12:56, John Chambers wrote:

    >> As Nir says ... Also can happen caused by not closing TB prior to
    >> shutdown. A good thing to remember.

    > Of course, while that's easy enough to say, it's not always easy to do.
    > I rarely "shut down" my machines in any sense. When they "shut down",
    > it's done by the power company or by some app that crashes the system.
    > It's hard to anticipate that sort of shutdown.

    It's a habit worthwhile to work on. You can't anticipate a power outage
    of course but we're not speaking of outages.

    > And an app that loses its important files during a system crash has a
    > serious black mark in its record ...

    That's the nature of most Windows applications, not just Thunderbird.
    However, XP has a restore point feature. Also, a nightly backup may be
    in your immediate future.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  7. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    John Chambers wrote:
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 30.04.2008 09:31, Staci wrote:

    Sorry, John, but NO application can always prevent data file corruption
    in the case of a sudden power loss. Even the OS can't do this, as
    witness the loss of a link of my Xnews desktop icon at my last power
    failure. Even though I have a battery backup, should I not get to the
    computer in time, or the battery becomes weak, shutdown can still happen
    without time for the computer to shut down properly. Files that are
    open when this happens may not recover when you reboot.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  8. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > John Chambers wrote:
    >> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>> On 30.04.2008 09:31, Staci wrote:

    It's too bad that when you first install Thunderbird that it
    doesn't advise you to install your profile anywhere but the
    default location (excluding the program folder itself, of course)
    without the name "default", etc. Would save some headaches.

    Ann W.

  9. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    On 01-05-2008 00:01 CET, Staci composed this enchanting statement:
> [...]
    > says I
    > : > need to add my accounts, nothing is there. All of my saved data,
    > hundreds of
    > : > important emails with info gone overnight. I had to re add my 2 email
    > : > accounts. I did system restore to yesterday, but it didn't help that
    > : > situation. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, nothing. Anything I can
    > do?
    > : > Staci
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > : Don't worry , Thunderbird has just forgotten about the existence of your
    > : actual profile folder ( sometime happens due to profiles.ini file
    > : corruption ) but all personal data still exist in your system .
    > : Here are detailed steps about how to solve this problem

    Staci, why did you think that 'pref.js' is the nut to crack?

    You must have read the first possibility, 'a default profile' (meaning a
    profile named *default*)? Did you skip this to go for 'pref.js', or not?

    quote:

    *Which problem do you have?*

    Thunderbird has a nasty habit of once in a great while forgetting about
    the existence of a profile if
    it uses the default name. When this occurs you suddenly start up in the
    new account wizard and it looks like you lost everything. You haven't.
    Its just lost track of your profile, which is probably intact.

    /quote

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  10. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    On 01.05.2008 02:22, Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> As Nir says ... Also can happen caused by not closing TB prior to
    >>> shutdown. A good thing to remember.

    >> Of course, while that's easy enough to say, it's not always easy to do.
    >> I rarely "shut down" my machines in any sense. When they "shut down",
    >> it's done by the power company or by some app that crashes the system.
    >> It's hard to anticipate that sort of shutdown.
    >>
    >> And an app that loses its important files during a system crash has a
    >> serious black mark in its record ...
    >>

    > Sorry, John, but NO application can always prevent data file corruption
    > in the case of a sudden power loss. Even the OS can't do this, as
    > witness the loss of a link of my Xnews desktop icon at my last power
    > failure. Even though I have a battery backup, should I not get to the
    > computer in time, or the battery becomes weak, shutdown can still happen
    > without time for the computer to shut down properly. Files that are
    > open when this happens may not recover when you reboot.

    Two things that my VERY stubborn clients absolutely refuse to implement:

    1. Battery Backup

    2. Daily backup routine

    Reason: It costs too much ..

    'nuff said.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  11. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    On 01.05.2008 06:56, Annailis wrote:

    > It's too bad that when you first install Thunderbird that it
    > doesn't advise you to install your profile anywhere but the
    > default location (excluding the program folder itself, of course)
    > without the name "default", etc. Would save some headaches.

    If you're going to lose data for whatever reason, it doesn't matter
    where your profile is located.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  12. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    Annailis has written on 5/1/2008 7:56 AM:
    > It's too bad that when you first install Thunderbird that it
    > doesn't advise you to install your profile anywhere but the
    > default location (excluding the program folder itself, of course)
    > without the name "default", etc. Would save some headaches.

    How would that help?

  13. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    On that site, it says this:
    "Thunderbird has a nasty habit of once in a great while forgetting about the
    existence of a profile if it uses the default name. When this occurs you
    suddenly start up in the new account wizard and it looks like you lost
    everything. You haven't. Its just lost track of your profile, which is
    probably intact.

    Another possibility is that your prefs.js file is empty or corrupt due to
    either Windows or Thunderbird crashing. Your prefs.js file has all of your
    account information and settings. In this case you haven't lost any of your
    mail or address books, but Thunderbird no longer knows how to fetch new mail
    or send messages, or display the folders in the folder pane. You'd need to
    recreate the accounts in Thunderbird.

    A quick way to tell which problem you're suffering from is to look at your
    personal address book within Thunderbird. If it looks okay go here. "

    My address book was intact, so I clicked on the above link in the last
    sentence.

    But now, I cannot open thunderbird at all, it says it is already running.
    But it isn't . No matter how many times I restart my computer.

    Staci

    news:d9idnfUEoqJxWoTVnZ2dnUVZ_sCtnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    : > "Nir" wrote in message
[...]
    : > : >
    : > : >
    : > :
[...]
    : .....
    :
    : /quote
    :
    : --
    : Kind regards,
    : Melchert
    :
    : (MacOS 10.3.9 / Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 2.0)

  14. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    On 01.05.2008 17:50, Staci wrote:

    > But now, I cannot open thunderbird at all, it says it is already running.
    > But it isn't . No matter how many times I restart my computer.

    Please trim quoted previous replies and also please bottom post, thanks.

    Check your TB profile directory for the file "parent.lock" and if
    present, delete it and try again.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  15. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 01.05.2008 06:56, Annailis wrote:

    Perhaps not, but I subscribe to the theory that sometimes you can
    trick the "poof!" mechanism in Windows .

    Ann

  16. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Annailis has written on 5/1/2008 7:56 AM:
    >> It's too bad that when you first install Thunderbird that it doesn't
    >> advise you to install your profile anywhere but the default location
    >> (excluding the program folder itself, of course) without the name
    >> "default", etc. Would save some headaches.
    >>

    > How would that help?

    Anecdotal evidence that profiles stored elsewhere than the
    default location are less prone to being corrupted and the fact
    that that method has been working for me for a long time now.
    Also advised in Mozillazine knowledgebase.

    Ann

  17. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Annailis has written on 5/2/2008 8:09 AM:
    >> Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>
    >>> Annailis has written on 5/1/2008 7:56 AM:

    >>> How would that help?
    >>>

    >> Anecdotal evidence that profiles stored elsewhere than the default
    >> location are less prone to being corrupted and the fact that that
    >> method has been working for me for a long time now.
    >> Also advised in Mozillazine knowledgebase.
    >>

    > Couldn't find anything in the mozillazine KB about moving the profile
    > folder. Can you point me to it?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I think this is the one:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keep_it_working_-_Thunderbird

    Ann

  18. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Annailis has written on 5/2/2008 8:05 AM:
    >> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 01.05.2008 06:56, Annailis wrote:

    Magically? My comment was a joke as I can't think of any logical
    reason why I've had problems in the past losing profiles when
    keeping them in the default location with "default" names and far
    fewer when keeping them elsewhere with individual names.

    Ann

  19. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    Annailis has written on 5/2/2008 8:05 AM:
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >
    >> On 01.05.2008 06:56, Annailis wrote:

  20. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight