Thunderbird GONE overnight - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird GONE overnight - Mozilla ; Staci said the following On 05/01/2008 03:31 AM: > Thank you very very much. > I went there, and it looks like this below is my problem, since my > thunderbird address book is intact- but I got lost part ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    Staci said the following On 05/01/2008 03:31 AM:
    > Thank you very very much.
    > I went there, and it looks like this below is my problem, since my
    > thunderbird address book is intact- but I got lost part way thru these
    > instructions, cannot seem to get my profile back.
    > Corrupt or empty prefs.js
    > A "empty" pref.js file typically isn't totally empty. It may have a few
    > lines such as
    >
    > user_pref("mail.smtpservers", "");
    > user_pref("mailnews.quotingPrefs.version", 1);
    > user_pref("mailnews.ui.threadpane.version", 5);
    > user_pref("prefs.converted-to-utf8", true);
    > or a couple dozen lines setting lots of unimportant preferences. Whats
    > important is whether it still contains your account information, not how big
    > it is.

    As you were able to find your old profile folder , just look into Mail
    folder and see whether you haven't lost any data ( mails ) .
    As it is evident that shutdown has somehow corrupted pref.js file ( I
    believe TB has created a new one as it find old one corrupted or deleted
    ) . If you find other things are intact , like Mail , extensions folders
    and their content then only thing that I can suggest :

    Create a new profile using profile manager [1] . Set up your all mail
    accounts there . Now Copy these folders and files from old profile to
    new profile , See
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile_-_Thunderbird"

    But _don't copy_ pref.js file from old profile and also don't directly
    copy Mails , ImapMail , News folders if you have changed account names .
    In that case just copy content of Mail/Account Folder to the
    corresponding account folder in new profile/Mail folder. Same for
    ImapMail , News folders.

    [1] "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager#Windows"

  2. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight

    Annailis wrote:

    > Anecdotal evidence that profiles stored elsewhere than the default
    > location are less prone to being corrupted

    I've never heard that. And here I've been storing my
    profile on a network share without incident for 2 years.

    --
    Jordon

  3. Re: Thunderbird GONE overnight