Two Steps Forward, One Step Back - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Two Steps Forward, One Step Back - Mozilla ; This concerns email (may or may not apply to the newsreader). I just updated to 2.0.0.12 from 1.5.0.14. In my experience, and I've seen this posted elsewhere, Thunderbird has never been able to get the Back & Forward toolbar buttons ...

  1. Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    This concerns email (may or may not apply to the newsreader).

    I just updated to 2.0.0.12 from 1.5.0.14. In my experience, and I've seen
    this posted elsewhere, Thunderbird has never been able to get the Back &
    Forward toolbar buttons to work, either in the three pane opening screen
    when an email header is highlighted within a larger group in a folder, or on
    an opened email pane where the reader wants to cycle through a series of
    emails in a folder. In 1.5 this was remedied by installing the Buttons!
    extension and substituting its Previous & Next buttons. In 2.0 you can still
    do this, but it's a little tricky because the extension contains two
    identical sets of Previous & Next buttons. One set works, the other set
    doesn't.

    I'm glad the workaround carried over into the upgrade, but how can
    Thunderbird have gone through all these many revisions for all these years
    and still keep two mission-critical-but-dead buttons on the toolbar?

  2. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    On 30.04.2008 06:07 UK Time, Roger Fink wrote:

    > I just updated to 2.0.0.12 from 1.5.0.14. In my experience, and I've seen
    > this posted elsewhere, Thunderbird has never been able to get the Back &
    > Forward toolbar buttons to work

    Thanks for pointing out the Back & Forward buttons :-)

    I'm astonished that after all these years I have never used them, but I
    certainly will in future 8-)

    They seem to work OK for me - what exactly is it that doesn't work for you?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  3. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Herb wrote:
    > On 30.04.2008 06:07 UK Time, Roger Fink wrote:
    >
    >> I just updated to 2.0.0.12 from 1.5.0.14. In my experience, and I've
    >> seen this posted elsewhere, Thunderbird has never been able to get
    >> the Back & Forward toolbar buttons to work

    > Thanks for pointing out the Back & Forward buttons :-)
    >
    > I'm astonished that after all these years I have never used them, but
    > I certainly will in future 8-)
    >
    > They seem to work OK for me - what exactly is it that doesn't work
    > for you?

    I use Windows, in case that has something to do with it, and what happens,
    or rather fails to happen, is just as I described. If you want a parallel
    story, read the third (short) review of the Buttons! extension here.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...on/106#reviews
    His problem is slightly different in that he can't get the extension's
    Previous and Next buttons to work (he probably didn't look for two sets of
    identical buttons, one set functioning and the other not, and why would
    he?).

    There is a part of the story that's missing here. The purpose of the
    extension is to increase the selection of buttons, so why would the author
    take the trouble to duplicate what is already there? I assume the reason was
    because the base install buttons never worked from the getgo and he took it
    upon himself to correct that. But who knows, really.

  4. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    On 30.04.2008 06:55 UK Time, Roger Fink wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >> On 30.04.2008 06:07 UK Time, Roger Fink wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just updated to 2.0.0.12 from 1.5.0.14. In my experience, and I've
    >>> seen this posted elsewhere, Thunderbird has never been able to get
    >>> the Back & Forward toolbar buttons to work

    >> Thanks for pointing out the Back & Forward buttons :-)
    >>
    >> I'm astonished that after all these years I have never used them, but
    >> I certainly will in future 8-)
    >>
    >> They seem to work OK for me - what exactly is it that doesn't work
    >> for you?

    > I use Windows, in case that has something to do with it, and what happens,
    > or rather fails to happen, is just as I described.

    I use Windows too, but I still fail to see what the problem is.

    The buttons seem to work perfectly for me, i.e. they sequentially take
    me back or forward to recently read messages, and the little black
    arrows bring up corresponding message lists.

    I think now that I have discovered it (thanks again for mentioning it
    :-) ) I will find this functionality very useful in future, but perhaps
    you want/expect something different?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  5. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Herb wrote:
    > On 30.04.2008 06:55 UK Time, Roger Fink wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:

    >>> Thanks for pointing out the Back & Forward buttons :-)
    >>>
    >>> I'm astonished that after all these years I have never used them,
    >>> but
    >>> I certainly will in future 8-)
    >>>
    >>> They seem to work OK for me - what exactly is it that doesn't work
    >>> for you?

    >> I use Windows, in case that has something to do with it, and what
    >> happens, or rather fails to happen, is just as I described.

    > I use Windows too, but I still fail to see what the problem is.
    >
    > The buttons seem to work perfectly for me, i.e. they sequentially take
    > me back or forward to recently read messages, and the little black
    > arrows bring up corresponding message lists.
    >
    > I think now that I have discovered it (thanks again for mentioning it
    > :-) ) I will find this functionality very useful in future, but
    > perhaps
    > you want/expect something different?

    Glad it works for you, and I hope that's the prevalent state of affairs.
    Fortunately, with the Buttons! installed it's not a problem for me either.
    It may be an extension conflict (Contacts, sidebar, Dictionary search, Get
    all mail, Image zoom, Minimize to tray, No new window on double click, Quote
    colors).

    Btw, Buttons! is a great extension. Just the HTML/Plain Text toggle makes it
    worth having, especially if you prefer plain text but receive mail from
    people using AOL.

  6. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    On 30.04.2008 13:34 UK Time, Roger Fink wrote:

    > Btw, Buttons! is a great extension. Just the HTML/Plain Text toggle makes it
    > worth having, especially if you prefer plain text but receive mail from
    > people using AOL.

    Sounds promising and worth examining further - thanks.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  7. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    The date and time was 4/30/2008 5:34 AM, and on a whim, Roger Fink
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Herb wrote:

    >>> I use Windows, in case that has something to do with it, and what
    >>> happens, or rather fails to happen, is just as I described.

    >> I use Windows too, but I still fail to see what the problem is.
    >>
    >> The buttons seem to work perfectly for me, i.e. they sequentially take
    >> me back or forward to recently read messages, and the little black
    >> arrows bring up corresponding message lists.
    >>
    >> I think now that I have discovered it (thanks again for mentioning it
    >> :-) ) I will find this functionality very useful in future, but
    >> perhaps
    >> you want/expect something different?

    > Glad it works for you, and I hope that's the prevalent state of affairs.
    > Fortunately, with the Buttons! installed it's not a problem for me either.
    > It may be an extension conflict (Contacts, sidebar, Dictionary search, Get
    > all mail, Image zoom, Minimize to tray, No new window on double click, Quote
    > colors).
    >
    > Btw, Buttons! is a great extension. Just the HTML/Plain Text toggle makes it
    > worth having, especially if you prefer plain text but receive mail from
    > people using AOL.

    I don't seem to have an issue either. Have you tried TB Safe Mode to see
    if it works properly? If I guessed, I would say the "No new window on
    double click" might be a culprit.

    --
    Terry R.

  8. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > This concerns email (may or may not apply to the newsreader).
    >
    > I just updated to 2.0.0.12 from 1.5.0.14. In my experience, and I've seen
    > this posted elsewhere, Thunderbird has never been able to get the Back &
    > Forward toolbar buttons to work, either in the three pane opening screen
    > when an email header is highlighted within a larger group in a folder, or on
    > an opened email pane where the reader wants to cycle through a series of
    > emails in a folder. In 1.5 this was remedied by installing the Buttons!
    > extension and substituting its Previous & Next buttons. In 2.0 you can still
    > do this, but it's a little tricky because the extension contains two
    > identical sets of Previous & Next buttons. One set works, the other set
    > doesn't.
    >
    > I'm glad the workaround carried over into the upgrade, but how can
    > Thunderbird have gone through all these many revisions for all these years
    > and still keep two mission-critical-but-dead buttons on the toolbar?

    Thanks for pointing out those buttons to me that I've never used
    before. They appear to work or me, too.

    Ann W.

  9. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 4/30/2008 5:34 AM, and on a whim, Roger Fink
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> Herb wrote:

    >>> I use Windows too, but I still fail to see what the problem is.
    >>>
    >>> The buttons seem to work perfectly for me, i.e. they sequentially
    >>> take
    >>> me back or forward to recently read messages, and the little black
    >>> arrows bring up corresponding message lists.
    >>>
    >>> I think now that I have discovered it (thanks again for mentioning
    >>> it :-) ) I will find this functionality very useful in future, but
    >>> perhaps
    >>> you want/expect something different?

    >> Glad it works for you, and I hope that's the prevalent state of
    >> affairs. Fortunately, with the Buttons! installed it's not a problem
    >> for me either. It may be an extension conflict (Contacts, sidebar,
    >> Dictionary search, Get all mail, Image zoom, Minimize to tray, No
    >> new window on double click, Quote colors).
    >>
    >> Btw, Buttons! is a great extension. Just the HTML/Plain Text toggle
    >> makes it worth having, especially if you prefer plain text but
    >> receive mail from people using AOL.
    >>

    > I don't seem to have an issue either. Have you tried TB Safe Mode to
    > see
    > if it works properly? If I guessed, I would say the "No new window on
    > double click" might be a culprit.

    I took time out from setting up a PayPal donation page for Herb and Annailis
    to check out your idea, but the results only seem to further muddy the
    waters, at least for me. But you're on to something, I think. When I start
    in Safe Mode, the Forward and Back buttons don't work at all - you can't
    move through the message titles on the three paned opening screen and you
    can't move from message to message in an opened email pane. But when I run
    in normal mode but disable NNWODC, I can get them to "somewhat work" by
    starting the first action with the extension buttons, which seems to
    activate the original forward and back buttons. But they don't go from
    message to message in sequence, they sort of bounce around, and after a few
    clicks it stops. That sounds so implausible, that I hardly believe it
    myself, but that's what happened. Either that or T-bird has finally deprived
    me of my sanity (which would be a surprise, since I always figured that was
    the job of Windows).

    In any case with a workaround in place, the issue is really a curiosity, not
    a distraction.

  10. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Annailis wrote:
    > Thanks for pointing out those buttons to me that I've never used
    > before. They appear to work or me, too.

    I actually removed the buttons. I have most of my groups and folders
    set to show only unread messages, and the buttons (and hotkeys) don't
    work under those circumstances, though I think they should.

  11. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Tarkus wrote:
    > Annailis wrote:
    >> Thanks for pointing out those buttons to me that I've never used
    >> before. They appear to work or me, too.

    > I actually removed the buttons. I have most of my groups and folders
    > set to show only unread messages, and the buttons (and hotkeys) don't
    > work under those circumstances, though I think they should.

    I take that back. I was looking in the main toolbar, not the browser
    toolbar.

    But my point remains that they don't work if you show only unread
    messages, and I think they should (as other clients do).

  12. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Roger Fink wrote:
    SNIP
    > I took time out from setting up a PayPal donation page for Herb and Annailis
    > to check out your idea, but the results only seem to further muddy the
    > waters, at least for me.

    SNIP

    Thank you, I really need donations. More than Herb, I'm sure.
    Or did I misinterpret your sentence?

    Ann

  13. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    Annailis wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    > SNIP
    >> I took time out from setting up a PayPal donation page for Herb and
    >> Annailis to check out your idea, but the results only seem to
    >> further muddy the waters, at least for me.

    > SNIP
    >
    > Thank you, I really need donations. More than Herb, I'm sure.
    > Or did I misinterpret your sentence?
    >
    > Ann

    I must have put the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle

  14. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    The date and time was 4/30/2008 2:11 PM, and on a whim, Roger Fink
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 4/30/2008 5:34 AM, and on a whim, Roger Fink
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> Glad it works for you, and I hope that's the prevalent state of
    >>> affairs. Fortunately, with the Buttons! installed it's not a problem
    >>> for me either. It may be an extension conflict (Contacts, sidebar,
    >>> Dictionary search, Get all mail, Image zoom, Minimize to tray, No
    >>> new window on double click, Quote colors).
    >>>
    >>> Btw, Buttons! is a great extension. Just the HTML/Plain Text toggle
    >>> makes it worth having, especially if you prefer plain text but
    >>> receive mail from people using AOL.
    >>>

    >> I don't seem to have an issue either. Have you tried TB Safe Mode to
    >> see
    >> if it works properly? If I guessed, I would say the "No new window on
    >> double click" might be a culprit.

    > I took time out from setting up a PayPal donation page for Herb and Annailis
    > to check out your idea, but the results only seem to further muddy the
    > waters, at least for me. But you're on to something, I think. When I start
    > in Safe Mode, the Forward and Back buttons don't work at all - you can't
    > move through the message titles on the three paned opening screen and you
    > can't move from message to message in an opened email pane. But when I run
    > in normal mode but disable NNWODC, I can get them to "somewhat work" by
    > starting the first action with the extension buttons, which seems to
    > activate the original forward and back buttons. But they don't go from
    > message to message in sequence, they sort of bounce around, and after a few
    > clicks it stops. That sounds so implausible, that I hardly believe it
    > myself, but that's what happened. Either that or T-bird has finally deprived
    > me of my sanity (which would be a surprise, since I always figured that was
    > the job of Windows).
    >
    > In any case with a workaround in place, the issue is really a curiosity, not
    > a distraction.

    I never use those buttons (other than seeing if they worked in this
    instance). I just tried it again and it seems to work as you describe,
    bouncing around. But then I realized that was the way "I" had viewed the
    posts, so the Back and Forward buttons appear to retrace our steps in
    the same order. Not just move from one post to the next as I thought it
    would. And when it "stopped", that was the last action I had made.

    But it really makes more sense to me to have the buttons work just like
    a browser Back & Forward button. So I think you can rest easy on TB and
    continue letting Windows make you crazy.

    --
    Terry R.

  15. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    On 01.05.2008 16:18 UK Time, Terry R. wrote:

    > I never use those buttons (other than seeing if they worked in this
    > instance). I just tried it again and it seems to work as you describe,
    > bouncing around. But then I realized that was the way "I" had viewed the
    > posts, so the Back and Forward buttons appear to retrace our steps in
    > the same order.

    Exactly, and as I said now that I'm aware of this feature I think I will
    find it quite useful in future.

    Interestingly, it seems to work across all types of messages, i.e. mail,
    newsgroups and even RSS 8-)

    And if you prefer not to jump around in the viewed order, you can select
    recent message from the list you see when you click on the little black
    arrows next to the buttons.

    All in all, I think it's a great feature, and I'm amazed it took me so
    long to become aware of it =-O

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  16. Re: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

    The date and time was 5/1/2008 10:35 AM, and on a whim, Herb pounded out
    on the keyboard:

    > On 01.05.2008 16:18 UK Time, Terry R. wrote:
    >
    >> I never use those buttons (other than seeing if they worked in this
    >> instance). I just tried it again and it seems to work as you describe,
    >> bouncing around. But then I realized that was the way "I" had viewed the
    >> posts, so the Back and Forward buttons appear to retrace our steps in
    >> the same order.

    > Exactly, and as I said now that I'm aware of this feature I think I will
    > find it quite useful in future.
    >
    > Interestingly, it seems to work across all types of messages, i.e. mail,
    > newsgroups and even RSS 8-)
    >
    > And if you prefer not to jump around in the viewed order, you can select
    > recent message from the list you see when you click on the little black
    > arrows next to the buttons.
    >
    > All in all, I think it's a great feature, and I'm amazed it took me so
    > long to become aware of it =-O

    Since I like using the keyboard as much as possible, [=Back and
    ]=Forward will be something I'll have to experiment with.

    --
    Terry R.