TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup - Mozilla

This is a discussion on TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup - Mozilla ; I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD. Today, when I tried to copy, I got the message can't copy. I closed TB/ FF but to no avail. Booted my system, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.

    Today, when I tried to copy, I got the message can't copy. I closed TB/
    FF but to no avail. Booted my system, but the problem persists.

    often this and that file in xp used to give that problem, often for
    days, especially for large movie files, but it has happened first time
    with TB/ FF and what is surprising is that it happened with both at the
    same time.

    And windows is designed so stupidly that if a single file has some
    problem, out of 1000 files in a set of copy, it aborts entire copying
    and doesn't proceed with copying the remaining files.

    And there are so many subfolders in both TB/ FF that I don't have
    patience to copy each folder/ sub/sub/ sub folders one by one to find
    which exact folder or file is giving problem.

    What to do? Pray that my HDD didn't blow away tonight or I am dead. :-)
    I had deleted my previous copies that were in my USB HDD.

    xpsp2, ff3b3, tb 2.0.0.9.

    --
    Rawat

  2. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    V S Rawat wrote:
    > I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.

    Google for supercopier

  3. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    V S Rawat wrote:
    > I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.

    Google for supercopier

  4. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 29.04.2008 21:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused V S Rawat to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.
    >>

    > 80 gigs?? are you boasting, or telling us how poor you are?
    > 80 gigs is *NOTHING* now-a-days.
    >
    > so - wanna bet that the HD is full to the brim - with junk??
    >
    > reg
    >

    > << snipped >>

    hello,

    I am not able to create a password on Mozilla Thunderbird, I keep
    getting a message telling me that my password was not accepted. I need help.

    Thank you,
    Dennis Jones

  5. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 29.04.2008 21:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused V S Rawat to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.
    >>

    > 80 gigs?? are you boasting, or telling us how poor you are?
    > 80 gigs is *NOTHING* now-a-days.
    >
    > so - wanna bet that the HD is full to the brim - with junk??
    >
    > reg
    >

    > << snipped >>

    hello,

    I am not able to create a password on Mozilla Thunderbird, I keep
    getting a message telling me that my password was not accepted. I need help.

    Thank you,
    Dennis Jones

  6. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    On 29.04.2008 23:02, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Dennis Jones
    to generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 29.04.2008 21:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused V S Rawat to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.
    >>>

    >> 80 gigs?? are you boasting, or telling us how poor you are?
    >> 80 gigs is *NOTHING* now-a-days.
    >>
    >> so - wanna bet that the HD is full to the brim - with junk??
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    >> << snipped >>
    >>

    > hello,
    >
    > I am not able to create a password on Mozilla Thunderbird, I keep
    > getting a message telling me that my password was not accepted. I need help.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Dennis Jones

    Dennis - for future reference -
    1) please post ONLY ONCE in the correct group
    2) if your question is not related to the thread you are reading, please
    start a NEW THREAD

    as to your problem, we will need a bit more info from your setup:
    TB version,?
    OS version (Windaft, Linux, Mac etc)?
    EXACTLY WHAT does the error-message say (complete wording)?
    EXACTLY WHAT are you trying to do when the error-message comes up?

    we need these things to be able to get the correct solution!

    reg

  7. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    On 29.04.2008 23:02, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Dennis Jones
    to generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 29.04.2008 21:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused V S Rawat to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.
    >>>

    >> 80 gigs?? are you boasting, or telling us how poor you are?
    >> 80 gigs is *NOTHING* now-a-days.
    >>
    >> so - wanna bet that the HD is full to the brim - with junk??
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    >> << snipped >>
    >>

    > hello,
    >
    > I am not able to create a password on Mozilla Thunderbird, I keep
    > getting a message telling me that my password was not accepted. I need help.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Dennis Jones

    Dennis - for future reference -
    1) please post ONLY ONCE in the correct group
    2) if your question is not related to the thread you are reading, please
    start a NEW THREAD

    as to your problem, we will need a bit more info from your setup:
    TB version,?
    OS version (Windaft, Linux, Mac etc)?
    EXACTLY WHAT does the error-message say (complete wording)?
    EXACTLY WHAT are you trying to do when the error-message comes up?

    we need these things to be able to get the correct solution!

    reg

  8. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    On 29.04.2008 23:02, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Dennis Jones
    to generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 29.04.2008 21:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused V S Rawat to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.
    >>>

    >> 80 gigs?? are you boasting, or telling us how poor you are?
    >> 80 gigs is *NOTHING* now-a-days.
    >>
    >> so - wanna bet that the HD is full to the brim - with junk??
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    >> << snipped >>
    >>

    > hello,
    >
    > I am not able to create a password on Mozilla Thunderbird, I keep
    > getting a message telling me that my password was not accepted. I need help.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Dennis Jones

    ...... and another "please":

    DO NOT crosspost in these groups - it's not well liked here!

    reg - fu set to moz.support.TB

  9. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    On 29.04.2008 23:02, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Dennis Jones
    to generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 29.04.2008 21:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused V S Rawat to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.
    >>>

    >> 80 gigs?? are you boasting, or telling us how poor you are?
    >> 80 gigs is *NOTHING* now-a-days.
    >>
    >> so - wanna bet that the HD is full to the brim - with junk??
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    >> << snipped >>
    >>

    > hello,
    >
    > I am not able to create a password on Mozilla Thunderbird, I keep
    > getting a message telling me that my password was not accepted. I need help.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Dennis Jones

    ...... and another "please":

    DO NOT crosspost in these groups - it's not well liked here!

    reg - fu set to moz.support.TB

  10. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    V S Rawat said the following On 04/30/2008 01:02 AM:
    > I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.
    >
    > Today, when I tried to copy, I got the message can't copy. I closed TB/
    > FF but to no avail. Booted my system, but the problem persists.

    Have you already tried to copy profile folder while XP is running in
    safe mode ?

    > often this and that file in xp used to give that problem, often for
    > days, especially for large movie files, but it has happened first time
    > with TB/ FF and what is surprising is that it happened with both at the
    > same time.
    >
    > And windows is designed so stupidly that if a single file has some
    > problem, out of 1000 files in a set of copy, it aborts entire copying
    > and doesn't proceed with copying the remaining files.
    >
    > And there are so many subfolders in both TB/ FF that I don't have
    > patience to copy each folder/ sub/sub/ sub folders one by one to find
    > which exact folder or file is giving problem.
    >
    > What to do? Pray that my HDD didn't blow away tonight or I am dead. :-)
    > I had deleted my previous copies that were in my USB HDD.
    >
    > xpsp2, ff3b3, tb 2.0.0.9.

    Does that error message give any clue , like any particular file that
    can't be copied ?

    Btw , as far i can remember , XP fails to copy file if file path
    contains more than 255 character .

  11. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    V S Rawat said the following On 04/30/2008 01:02 AM:
    > I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.
    >
    > Today, when I tried to copy, I got the message can't copy. I closed TB/
    > FF but to no avail. Booted my system, but the problem persists.

    Have you already tried to copy profile folder while XP is running in
    safe mode ?

    > often this and that file in xp used to give that problem, often for
    > days, especially for large movie files, but it has happened first time
    > with TB/ FF and what is surprising is that it happened with both at the
    > same time.
    >
    > And windows is designed so stupidly that if a single file has some
    > problem, out of 1000 files in a set of copy, it aborts entire copying
    > and doesn't proceed with copying the remaining files.
    >
    > And there are so many subfolders in both TB/ FF that I don't have
    > patience to copy each folder/ sub/sub/ sub folders one by one to find
    > which exact folder or file is giving problem.
    >
    > What to do? Pray that my HDD didn't blow away tonight or I am dead. :-)
    > I had deleted my previous copies that were in my USB HDD.
    >
    > xpsp2, ff3b3, tb 2.0.0.9.

    Does that error message give any clue , like any particular file that
    can't be copied ?

    Btw , as far i can remember , XP fails to copy file if file path
    contains more than 255 character .

  12. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    On 4/30/2008 2:10 AM India Time, _Luis_ wrote:

    > V S Rawat wrote:
    >> I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.

    > Google for supercopier

    WOW,

    Thanks a gig, Luis sir. What a lovely utility. Small, fast, powerful.
    Though its operation is not all that intuitive and userfriendly. took a
    few precious seconds to understand it. :-)

    Supercopier did it in a jiffy. Well, not in a jiffy, there were the
    following problems, but it skipped these files. *** 5/2/2008: Copy from
    E:\My Data\ to J:\My Data\ ***
    1:09:00 PM Copying E:\My Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\parent.lock : The
    process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

    1:10:33 PM Copying E:\My
    Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\places.sqlite-journal : The system cannot
    find the file specified

    1:11:42 PM Copying E:\My Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\sessionstore.js :
    The system cannot find the file specified

    1:11:44 PM Copying E:\My
    Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\places.sqlite-stmtjrnl : The system cannot
    find the file specified

    --
    I don't how would that effect if I ever have to restore from backup.

    Will my ff installation work without these files?

    How to make up for these files now missing in my backup? Can I get it
    from somewhere and put there manually?

    What to do with these files in original ff folder?

    --

    Seems sqlite thinggy is prone to problem and corruption. The developers
    need to rethink whether it is wise to introduce such thing in ff3?

    --

    TB backup: no problem at all. NOt a single error messages. Everything
    got copied.

    Thanks again, Luis sir. Hope u could share about your other powerful
    utilities also.

    :-)
    --
    Rawat

  13. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    On 4/30/2008 2:10 AM India Time, _Luis_ wrote:

    > V S Rawat wrote:
    >> I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.

    > Google for supercopier

    WOW,

    Thanks a gig, Luis sir. What a lovely utility. Small, fast, powerful.
    Though its operation is not all that intuitive and userfriendly. took a
    few precious seconds to understand it. :-)

    Supercopier did it in a jiffy. Well, not in a jiffy, there were the
    following problems, but it skipped these files. *** 5/2/2008: Copy from
    E:\My Data\ to J:\My Data\ ***
    1:09:00 PM Copying E:\My Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\parent.lock : The
    process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

    1:10:33 PM Copying E:\My
    Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\places.sqlite-journal : The system cannot
    find the file specified

    1:11:42 PM Copying E:\My Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\sessionstore.js :
    The system cannot find the file specified

    1:11:44 PM Copying E:\My
    Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\places.sqlite-stmtjrnl : The system cannot
    find the file specified

    --
    I don't how would that effect if I ever have to restore from backup.

    Will my ff installation work without these files?

    How to make up for these files now missing in my backup? Can I get it
    from somewhere and put there manually?

    What to do with these files in original ff folder?

    --

    Seems sqlite thinggy is prone to problem and corruption. The developers
    need to rethink whether it is wise to introduce such thing in ff3?

    --

    TB backup: no problem at all. NOt a single error messages. Everything
    got copied.

    Thanks again, Luis sir. Hope u could share about your other powerful
    utilities also.

    :-)
    --
    Rawat

  14. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    On 4/30/2008 2:32 AM India Time, _Dennis Jones_ wrote:

    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 29.04.2008 21:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused V S Rawat to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>> I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.
    >>>

    >> 80 gigs?? are you boasting, or telling us how poor you are?
    >> 80 gigs is *NOTHING* now-a-days.

    It is more than enough for me. it is still more than half empty.

    I have been using 40 gig as my main hard disk for last 6 years that has
    xp in 10 gig of c and I use 10 gig E for my regular activities. D and F,
    each 10 gig, are empty. It had a year's warranty that is long expired.
    That is why I went for usb hdd to keep backup for any eventualitites.

    >> so - wanna bet that the HD is full to the brim - with junk??

    ha ha ha. no way. And I don't even have an Effiel tower sized stack of
    CDs/ DVDs.

    --
    Rawat

  15. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    --
    Rawat

  16. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    On 4/30/2008 7:48 PM India Time, _Nir_ wrote:

    > V S Rawat said the following On 04/30/2008 01:02 AM:
    >> I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.
    >>
    >> Today, when I tried to copy, I got the message can't copy. I closed TB/
    >> FF but to no avail. Booted my system, but the problem persists.

    > Have you already tried to copy profile folder while XP is running in
    > safe mode ?

    No, I haven't tried that option.

    Previously, I could always copy in fullfledged mode, I think even while
    ff/tb were running, so when I faced problem, I felt that there ought to
    some solution that would allow me to copy again in fullfledged mode.

    >> often this and that file in xp used to give that problem, often for
    >> days, especially for large movie files, but it has happened first time
    >> with TB/ FF and what is surprising is that it happened with both at the
    >> same time.
    >>
    >> And windows is designed so stupidly that if a single file has some
    >> problem, out of 1000 files in a set of copy, it aborts entire copying
    >> and doesn't proceed with copying the remaining files.
    >>
    >> And there are so many subfolders in both TB/ FF that I don't have
    >> patience to copy each folder/ sub/sub/ sub folders one by one to find
    >> which exact folder or file is giving problem.
    >>
    >> What to do? Pray that my HDD didn't blow away tonight or I am dead. :-)
    >> I had deleted my previous copies that were in my USB HDD.
    >>
    >> xpsp2, ff3b3, tb 2.0.0.9.
    >>

    > Does that error message give any clue , like any particular file that
    > can't be copied ?

    no clue. Mr gates is verbose only in senseless junk, and keeps his lips
    lightly sealed when it really matters.

    > Btw , as far i can remember , XP fails to copy file if file path
    > contains more than 255 character .

    Hmm. I blame that squarely and cubely on FF/ TB developers. There are
    trillions of folders/ subfolders which -- and the files in which have
    light years long names.

    My addition to that is:
    for FF: E:\My Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile
    for TB: E:\My Data\Tb\Profiles\my_profile

    And larger part of that is still decided by ff/tb

    Seems it is time that ff/ tb developers rethink about the structuring of
    data storage. The worst is extension folder having loooong alphanumric
    curly brackets, dashed folder files name that only a Martian would
    understand.

    in TB, I am only using Local Folders for all mails, still it keeps all
    the folders for each of my pop3 connection. I felt sickened when I see
    such complexities and nomenclatures of ff/tb profile folders.

    thanks.
    --
    Rawat

  17. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    On 4/30/2008 7:48 PM India Time, _Nir_ wrote:

    > V S Rawat said the following On 04/30/2008 01:02 AM:
    >> I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.
    >>
    >> Today, when I tried to copy, I got the message can't copy. I closed TB/
    >> FF but to no avail. Booted my system, but the problem persists.

    > Have you already tried to copy profile folder while XP is running in
    > safe mode ?

    No, I haven't tried that option.

    Previously, I could always copy in fullfledged mode, I think even while
    ff/tb were running, so when I faced problem, I felt that there ought to
    some solution that would allow me to copy again in fullfledged mode.

    >> often this and that file in xp used to give that problem, often for
    >> days, especially for large movie files, but it has happened first time
    >> with TB/ FF and what is surprising is that it happened with both at the
    >> same time.
    >>
    >> And windows is designed so stupidly that if a single file has some
    >> problem, out of 1000 files in a set of copy, it aborts entire copying
    >> and doesn't proceed with copying the remaining files.
    >>
    >> And there are so many subfolders in both TB/ FF that I don't have
    >> patience to copy each folder/ sub/sub/ sub folders one by one to find
    >> which exact folder or file is giving problem.
    >>
    >> What to do? Pray that my HDD didn't blow away tonight or I am dead. :-)
    >> I had deleted my previous copies that were in my USB HDD.
    >>
    >> xpsp2, ff3b3, tb 2.0.0.9.
    >>

    > Does that error message give any clue , like any particular file that
    > can't be copied ?

    no clue. Mr gates is verbose only in senseless junk, and keeps his lips
    lightly sealed when it really matters.

    > Btw , as far i can remember , XP fails to copy file if file path
    > contains more than 255 character .

    Hmm. I blame that squarely and cubely on FF/ TB developers. There are
    trillions of folders/ subfolders which -- and the files in which have
    light years long names.

    My addition to that is:
    for FF: E:\My Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile
    for TB: E:\My Data\Tb\Profiles\my_profile

    And larger part of that is still decided by ff/tb

    Seems it is time that ff/ tb developers rethink about the structuring of
    data storage. The worst is extension folder having loooong alphanumric
    curly brackets, dashed folder files name that only a Martian would
    understand.

    in TB, I am only using Local Folders for all mails, still it keeps all
    the folders for each of my pop3 connection. I felt sickened when I see
    such complexities and nomenclatures of ff/tb profile folders.

    thanks.
    --
    Rawat

  18. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    V S Rawat wrote:
    > On 4/30/2008 2:10 AM India Time, _Luis_ wrote:
    >
    >> V S Rawat wrote:
    >>> I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.

    >> Google for supercopier

    > Supercopier did it in a jiffy. Well, not in a jiffy, there were the
    > following problems, but it skipped these files. *** 5/2/2008: Copy from
    > E:\My Data\ to J:\My Data\ ***
    > 1:09:00 PM Copying E:\My Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\parent.lock : The
    > process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

    The presence of parent.lock indicates that you are trying to copy your
    profile, while FF is running.

    Don't do that.

    The most likely cause of error, is that these files are locked, and
    Windows is not allowing access.

    If you do the backup with FF closed, you should not get those errors.
    As well, if the program closes normally, you probably *won't* have those
    files at all.

    We know, for a fact, that parent.lock will be deleted automatically upon
    a proper shutdown of the program.

    > 1:10:33 PM Copying E:\My
    > Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\places.sqlite-journal : The system cannot
    > find the file specified

    This is a journal file created by sqlite. Again, this file, while FF is
    running, is most likely locked by sqlite. More info here:
    http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html

    > 1:11:42 PM Copying E:\My Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\sessionstore.js :
    > The system cannot find the file specified

    This is the session information used in the case that FF crashes, and
    you choose, upon restart, to 'restore last session'.

    Not at all critical to a profile backup.

    Again, like parent.lock, if FF closes normally, this file will be
    deleted, as part of the process.

    > 1:11:44 PM Copying E:\My
    > Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\places.sqlite-stmtjrnl : The system cannot
    > find the file specified

    Undoubtedly related to sqlite and journaling, based on the name,
    ....*stmtjrnl*.

    > I don't how would that effect if I ever have to restore from backup.
    >
    > Will my ff installation work without these files?
    >
    > How to make up for these files now missing in my backup? Can I get it
    > from somewhere and put there manually?
    >
    > What to do with these files in original ff folder?

    Nothing.

    Just do your profile backups with the program closed, that should solve
    all of the above issues. Note that the same advice applies to TB, or
    any other program, for that matter.

    --
    Alex K.

  19. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    V S Rawat wrote:
    > On 4/30/2008 2:10 AM India Time, _Luis_ wrote:
    >
    >> V S Rawat wrote:
    >>> I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig USB HDD.

    >> Google for supercopier

    > Supercopier did it in a jiffy. Well, not in a jiffy, there were the
    > following problems, but it skipped these files. *** 5/2/2008: Copy from
    > E:\My Data\ to J:\My Data\ ***
    > 1:09:00 PM Copying E:\My Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\parent.lock : The
    > process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

    The presence of parent.lock indicates that you are trying to copy your
    profile, while FF is running.

    Don't do that.

    The most likely cause of error, is that these files are locked, and
    Windows is not allowing access.

    If you do the backup with FF closed, you should not get those errors.
    As well, if the program closes normally, you probably *won't* have those
    files at all.

    We know, for a fact, that parent.lock will be deleted automatically upon
    a proper shutdown of the program.

    > 1:10:33 PM Copying E:\My
    > Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\places.sqlite-journal : The system cannot
    > find the file specified

    This is a journal file created by sqlite. Again, this file, while FF is
    running, is most likely locked by sqlite. More info here:
    http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html

    > 1:11:42 PM Copying E:\My Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\sessionstore.js :
    > The system cannot find the file specified

    This is the session information used in the case that FF crashes, and
    you choose, upon restart, to 'restore last session'.

    Not at all critical to a profile backup.

    Again, like parent.lock, if FF closes normally, this file will be
    deleted, as part of the process.

    > 1:11:44 PM Copying E:\My
    > Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile\places.sqlite-stmtjrnl : The system cannot
    > find the file specified

    Undoubtedly related to sqlite and journaling, based on the name,
    ....*stmtjrnl*.

    > I don't how would that effect if I ever have to restore from backup.
    >
    > Will my ff installation work without these files?
    >
    > How to make up for these files now missing in my backup? Can I get it
    > from somewhere and put there manually?
    >
    > What to do with these files in original ff folder?

    Nothing.

    Just do your profile backups with the program closed, that should solve
    all of the above issues. Note that the same advice applies to TB, or
    any other program, for that matter.

    --
    Alex K.

  20. Re: TB/ FF profiles not getting copied for backup

    V S Rawat said the following On 05/02/2008 01:40 PM:
    > On 4/30/2008 7:48 PM India Time, _Nir_ wrote:
    >
    >> V S Rawat said the following On 04/30/2008 01:02 AM:
    >>> I used to copy my entire profile folders of TB/ FF to my 80 Gig
    >>> USB HDD.
    >>>
    >>> Today, when I tried to copy, I got the message can't copy. I
    >>> closed TB/ FF but to no avail. Booted my system, but the problem
    >>> persists.

    >> Have you already tried to copy profile folder while XP is running
    >> in safe mode ?

    > No, I haven't tried that option.
    >
    > Previously, I could always copy in fullfledged mode, I think even
    > while ff/tb were running, so when I faced problem, I felt that there
    > ought to some solution that would allow me to copy again in
    > fullfledged mode.
    >

    >>> often this and that file in xp used to give that problem, often
    >>> for days, especially for large movie files, but it has happened
    >>> first time with TB/ FF and what is surprising is that it happened
    >>> with both at the same time.
    >>>
    >>> And windows is designed so stupidly that if a single file has
    >>> some problem, out of 1000 files in a set of copy, it aborts
    >>> entire copying and doesn't proceed with copying the remaining
    >>> files.
    >>>
    >>> And there are so many subfolders in both TB/ FF that I don't
    >>> have patience to copy each folder/ sub/sub/ sub folders one by
    >>> one to find which exact folder or file is giving problem.
    >>>
    >>> What to do? Pray that my HDD didn't blow away tonight or I am
    >>> dead. :-) I had deleted my previous copies that were in my USB
    >>> HDD.
    >>>
    >>> xpsp2, ff3b3, tb 2.0.0.9.
    >>>

    >> Does that error message give any clue , like any particular file
    >> that can't be copied ?

    > no clue. Mr gates is verbose only in senseless junk, and keeps his
    > lips lightly sealed when it really matters.
    >

    >> Btw , as far i can remember , XP fails to copy file if file path
    >> contains more than 255 character .

    > Hmm. I blame that squarely and cubely on FF/ TB developers. There are
    > trillions of folders/ subfolders which -- and the files in which
    > have light years long names.

    See if helps
    "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177665"
    "http://www.computerhope.com/substhlp.htm"

    TB/FF is not a particular OS specific program , so it follows a generic
    folder structure .

    > My addition to that is: for FF: E:\My Data\Ff\Profiles\my_profile for
    > TB: E:\My Data\Tb\Profiles\my_profile
    >
    > And larger part of that is still decided by ff/tb
    >
    > Seems it is time that ff/ tb developers rethink about the structuring
    > of data storage. The worst is extension folder having loooong
    > alphanumric curly brackets, dashed folder files name that only a
    > Martian would understand.

    That is intentional . To enhance profile folder security, default
    profile folder name is always generated randomly , in alphanumeric form .

    > in TB, I am only using Local Folders for all mails, still it keeps
    > all the folders for each of my pop3 connection. I felt sickened when
    > I see such complexities and nomenclatures of ff/tb profile folders.

    You can create a folder by yourself . Then using profile manager window
    you can create a new profile but point profile folder location to that
    folder , you have just created . Copy content of existing folder to new
    profile folder .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast