Help with multiple aliases... - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Help with multiple aliases... - Mozilla ; I need some help -- obviously or I wouldn't be posting in the support forum. LOL I have ONE primary email address provided by my ISP. We'll call it MisterX. I am allowed five aliases. Let's call one of those ...

  1. Help with multiple aliases...

    I need some help -- obviously or I wouldn't be posting in the support
    forum. LOL

    I have ONE primary email address provided by my ISP. We'll call it
    MisterX. I am allowed five aliases. Let's call one of those aliases
    MisterY. When I set up the two in Thunderbird I have to submit a login
    of MisterX. But when I try to do that in the MisterY account,
    Thunderbird complains and won't allow it, stating that I already have a
    MisterX account. How can I configure this, anyone know? I've been
    nashing my teeth over this for something like two weeks now! (My dentist
    is going to love that fact.)

  2. Re: Help with multiple aliases...

    On 29-04-2008 14:23 CET, stevezygote composed this enchanting statement:
    > I need some help -- obviously or I wouldn't be posting in the support
    > forum. LOL
    >
    > I have ONE primary email address provided by my ISP. We'll call it
    > MisterX. I am allowed five aliases. Let's call one of those aliases
    > MisterY. When I set up the two in Thunderbird I have to submit a login
    > of MisterX. But when I try to do that in the MisterY account,
    > Thunderbird complains and won't allow it, stating that I already have
    > a MisterX account. How can I configure this, anyone know? I've been
    > nashing my teeth over this for something like two weeks now! (My
    > dentist is going to love that fact.)

    An user name/id 'Alias' is an 'Identity' in Thunderbird. On the Tools
    menu, select Account Settings, position on account name, click on the
    'Manage Identities' button and define the alternate user names/ids
    provided so generously by your internet service provider.

    If you really have additional mailboxes, then it is time to start
    grinding your teeth. :-P

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: Help with multiple aliases...

    "Melchert Fruitema" wrote in message
    news:QKydnUPrnbB3sYrVnZ2dnUVZ_uadnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 29-04-2008 14:23 CET, stevezygote composed this enchanting statement:
    >> I need some help -- obviously or I wouldn't be posting in the support
    >> forum. LOL
    >>
    >> I have ONE primary email address provided by my ISP. We'll call it
    >> MisterX. I am allowed five aliases. Let's call one of those aliases
    >> MisterY. When I set up the two in Thunderbird I have to submit a login of
    >> MisterX. But when I try to do that in the MisterY account, Thunderbird
    >> complains and won't allow it, stating that I already have a MisterX
    >> account. How can I configure this, anyone know? I've been nashing my
    >> teeth over this for something like two weeks now! (My dentist is going to
    >> love that fact.)

    > An user name/id 'Alias' is an 'Identity' in Thunderbird. On the Tools
    > menu, select Account Settings, position on account name, click on the
    > 'Manage Identities' button and define the alternate user names/ids
    > provided so generously by your internet service provider.
    >
    > If you really have additional mailboxes, then it is time to start grinding
    > your teeth. :-P
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    > Melchert
    >
    > (MacOS 10.3.9 / Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 2.0)

    Thank you. I'll try that. Particularly before I need dentures!

  4. Re: Help with multiple aliases...

    On 29-04-2008 16:36 CET, Steve Turner composed this enchanting statement:
    > "Melchert Fruitema" wrote:
    > > On 29-04-2008 14:23 CET, stevezygote composed this enchanting statement:
    > >> I need some help -- obviously or I wouldn't be posting in the support
    > >> forum. LOL
    > >>
    > >> I have ONE primary email address provided by my ISP. We'll call it
    > >> MisterX. I am allowed five aliases. Let's call one of those aliases
    > >> MisterY. When I set up the two in Thunderbird I have to submit a login of
    > >> MisterX. But when I try to do that in the MisterY account, Thunderbird
    > >> complains and won't allow it, stating that I already have a MisterX
    > >> account. How can I configure this, anyone know? I've been nashing my
    > >> teeth over this for something like two weeks now! (My dentist is going to
    > >> love that fact.)

    > > An user name/id 'Alias' is an 'Identity' in Thunderbird. On the Tools
    > > menu, select Account Settings, position on account name, click on the
    > > 'Manage Identities' button and define the alternate user names/ids
    > > provided so generously by your internet service provider.
    > >
    > > If you really have additional mailboxes, then it is time to start grinding
    > > your teeth. :-P
    > >

    > Thank you. I'll try that. Particularly before I need dentures!

    You're welcome. By the way, I know a good dental lab, if you need one.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  5. Re: Help with multiple aliases...

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 29-04-2008 14:23 CET, stevezygote composed this enchanting statement:
    >> I need some help -- obviously or I wouldn't be posting in the support
    >> forum. LOL
    >>
    >> I have ONE primary email address provided by my ISP. We'll call it
    >> MisterX. I am allowed five aliases. Let's call one of those aliases
    >> MisterY. When I set up the two in Thunderbird I have to submit a login
    >> of MisterX. But when I try to do that in the MisterY account,
    >> Thunderbird complains and won't allow it, stating that I already have
    >> a MisterX account. How can I configure this, anyone know? I've been
    >> nashing my teeth over this for something like two weeks now! (My
    >> dentist is going to love that fact.)

    > An user name/id 'Alias' is an 'Identity' in Thunderbird. On the Tools
    > menu, select Account Settings, position on account name, click on the
    > 'Manage Identities' button and define the alternate user names/ids
    > provided so generously by your internet service provider.
    >
    > If you really have additional mailboxes, then it is time to start
    > grinding your teeth. :-P

    Man, am I getting frustrated! I've done that for each "identity". It
    sends fine. But when I try to check email on the server the server
    rejects the name "MisterY". When I try to change the name in
    Thunderbird, Thunderbird rejects it. So I can send but I can't retrieve,
    beyond retrieving from the primary account "MisterX".

    What am I doing wrong?

  6. Re: Help with multiple aliases...

    On 29/04/08 17:26, stevezygote wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 29-04-2008 14:23 CET, stevezygote composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> I need some help -- obviously or I wouldn't be posting in the support
    >>> forum. LOL
    >>>
    >>> I have ONE primary email address provided by my ISP. We'll call it
    >>> MisterX. I am allowed five aliases. Let's call one of those aliases
    >>> MisterY. When I set up the two in Thunderbird I have to submit a
    >>> login of MisterX. But when I try to do that in the MisterY account,
    >>> Thunderbird complains and won't allow it, stating that I already have
    >>> a MisterX account. How can I configure this, anyone know? I've been
    >>> nashing my teeth over this for something like two weeks now! (My
    >>> dentist is going to love that fact.)

    >> An user name/id 'Alias' is an 'Identity' in Thunderbird. On the Tools
    >> menu, select Account Settings, position on account name, click on the
    >> 'Manage Identities' button and define the alternate user names/ids
    >> provided so generously by your internet service provider.
    >>
    >> If you really have additional mailboxes, then it is time to start
    >> grinding your teeth. :-P
    >>

    > Man, am I getting frustrated! I've done that for each "identity". It
    > sends fine. But when I try to check email on the server the server
    > rejects the name "MisterY". When I try to change the name in
    > Thunderbird, Thunderbird rejects it. So I can send but I can't retrieve,
    > beyond retrieving from the primary account "MisterX".
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?

    If your ISP is like mine, when you check mail for the main username, you
    get any mail there is for all aliases together with it, so it isn't
    needed (or indeed possible) to connect to the server using an alias. You
    have _one_ username and password through which you connect; people
    writing to you can reach you either under that username or under any of
    a number of aliases, but all that mail falls into the same mailbox at
    your POP server (I'm less certain about IMAP because I don't use that)
    and you get all of it together when you fetch your mail.

    When you write to other people, your "Identities" define which (real or
    assumed) email address will be mentioned on the "From" line. That's
    about all they do, unless you have defined more than one "outgoing
    servers" at the bottom of your account settings, in which case different
    identities may also (IIUC) send mail through different SMTP servers.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    While having never invented a sin, I'm trying to perfect several.

  7. Re: Help with multiple aliases...

    stevezygote wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 29-04-2008 14:23 CET, stevezygote composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> I need some help -- obviously or I wouldn't be posting in the support
    >>> forum. LOL
    >>>
    >>> I have ONE primary email address provided by my ISP. We'll call it
    >>> MisterX. I am allowed five aliases. Let's call one of those aliases
    >>> MisterY. When I set up the two in Thunderbird I have to submit a
    >>> login of MisterX. But when I try to do that in the MisterY account,
    >>> Thunderbird complains and won't allow it, stating that I already have
    >>> a MisterX account. How can I configure this, anyone know? I've been
    >>> nashing my teeth over this for something like two weeks now! (My
    >>> dentist is going to love that fact.)

    >> An user name/id 'Alias' is an 'Identity' in Thunderbird. On the Tools
    >> menu, select Account Settings, position on account name, click on the
    >> 'Manage Identities' button and define the alternate user names/ids
    >> provided so generously by your internet service provider.
    >>
    >> If you really have additional mailboxes, then it is time to start
    >> grinding your teeth. :-P
    >>

    > Man, am I getting frustrated! I've done that for each "identity". It
    > sends fine. But when I try to check email on the server the server
    > rejects the name "MisterY". When I try to change the name in
    > Thunderbird, Thunderbird rejects it. So I can send but I can't retrieve,
    > beyond retrieving from the primary account "MisterX".
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?

    afaik, it varies with ISPs.
    I use pacbell (ATT now) and have six different @pacbell.net users,
    accounts, whatever... six different mailboxes.
    (Assuming you've already created these aliases at your ISP site.)
    As I add them to Thunderbird, I uniquely name the account
    'Pacbell(username)', etc.
    http://home.pacbell.net/clayt/moz-screenshot-72.jpg
    All use the same outgoing (SMTP) primary account, username, pw.
    Each authenticates using unique usernames@pacbell.net with their own pw.
    Some ISPs require you to register munged identities so if you're using
    foo return addresses, look into that.

  8. Re: Help with multiple aliases...

    clay wrote:
    > stevezygote wrote:
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>> On 29-04-2008 14:23 CET, stevezygote composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> An user name/id 'Alias' is an 'Identity' in Thunderbird. On the Tools
    >>> menu, select Account Settings, position on account name, click on the
    >>> 'Manage Identities' button and define the alternate user names/ids
    >>> provided so generously by your internet service provider.
    >>>
    >>> If you really have additional mailboxes, then it is time to start
    >>> grinding your teeth. :-P
    >>>

    >> Man, am I getting frustrated! I've done that for each "identity". It
    >> sends fine. But when I try to check email on the server the server
    >> rejects the name "MisterY". When I try to change the name in
    >> Thunderbird, Thunderbird rejects it. So I can send but I can't
    >> retrieve, beyond retrieving from the primary account "MisterX".
    >>
    >> What am I doing wrong?

    > afaik, it varies with ISPs.
    > I use pacbell (ATT now) and have six different @pacbell.net users,
    > accounts, whatever... six different mailboxes.
    > (Assuming you've already created these aliases at your ISP site.)
    > As I add them to Thunderbird, I uniquely name the account
    > 'Pacbell(username)', etc.
    > http://home.pacbell.net/clayt/moz-screenshot-72.jpg
    > All use the same outgoing (SMTP) primary account, username, pw.
    > Each authenticates using unique usernames@pacbell.net with their own pw.
    > Some ISPs require you to register munged identities so if you're using
    > foo return addresses, look into that.

    Well I think I've resolved it. Had to step away for a while. Was too
    close to the woods to see the trees. Initially I set up my four "user
    accounts" as separate user accounts in TBird. TBird and my ISP didn't
    get along well doing that. I subsequently deleted all but the primary
    account and set up Identities for each of the others. I'm successfully
    sending email from those others now. I hope. Famous last words!

    BTW, thank you VERY much guys. I still have my teeth and most of my hair.

  9. Re: Help with multiple aliases...

    stevezygote wrote:

    >> afaik, it varies with ISPs.
    >> I use pacbell (ATT now) and have six different @pacbell.net users,
    >> accounts, whatever... six different mailboxes.
    >> (Assuming you've already created these aliases at your ISP site.)
    >> As I add them to Thunderbird, I uniquely name the account
    >> 'Pacbell(username)', etc.
    >> http://home.pacbell.net/clayt/moz-screenshot-72.jpg
    >> All use the same outgoing (SMTP) primary account, username, pw.
    >> Each authenticates using unique usernames@pacbell.net with their own pw.
    >> Some ISPs require you to register munged identities so if you're using
    >> foo return addresses, look into that.

    > Well I think I've resolved it. Had to step away for a while. Was too
    > close to the woods to see the trees. Initially I set up my four "user
    > accounts" as separate user accounts in TBird. TBird and my ISP didn't
    > get along well doing that. I subsequently deleted all but the primary
    > account and set up Identities for each of the others. I'm successfully
    > sending email from those others now. I hope. Famous last words!
    >
    > BTW, thank you VERY much guys. I still have my teeth and most of my hair.

    That works too. Only downside is forgetting to change the alias.
    With separate accounts, the alias (and posting preferences, sigs, etc.)
    stay with each one.
    btw, I think you can have sigs related to the alias so when you select
    the alias, you get the sig. At least, it works that way with my setup. I
    can use the alias from any of the accounts on any of the others and the
    sig follows...

+ Reply to Thread