some method needed to temporarily deactivate a filter's individualrule - Mozilla

This is a discussion on some method needed to temporarily deactivate a filter's individualrule - Mozilla ; I have a filter in which I have included all those sender/ from/ subject , etc. whose mails I want to be directly deleted automatically on receipt. I am member of several mailing lists also, but interest, requirement, time available, ...

  1. some method needed to temporarily deactivate a filter's individualrule

    I have a filter in which I have included all those sender/ from/ subject
    , etc. whose mails I want to be directly deleted automatically on receipt.

    I am member of several mailing lists also, but interest, requirement,
    time available, etc. keep of changing so when I am not needing the mails
    of a particular mailing list (yahoogroups or googlegroups), I add that
    lists details in my above filter and those mails come and go to trash.

    When I need to access mails of that list, I remove that list's details
    from the filter, and once requirement is complete, I again add list's
    details in the filter.

    I find it more convenient than changing subbing/ unsubbing/ web-only
    etc. options for various lists as those require me to logging in to the
    websites, remembering/ recalling passwords etc. And there are other
    complications also.

    It would be convenient if I need not delete the filter entry for that
    list so that its mails are no longer deleted. Some option is needed to
    disable an individual line of the rule (while rest of the lines of rules
    still work).

    --
    Rawat

  2. Re: some method needed to temporarily deactivate a filter's individualrule

    V S Rawat wrote:
    > I have a filter in which I have included all those sender/ from/ subject
    > , etc. whose mails I want to be directly deleted automatically on receipt.
    >
    > I am member of several mailing lists also, but interest, requirement,
    > time available, etc. keep of changing so when I am not needing the mails
    > of a particular mailing list (yahoogroups or googlegroups), I add that
    > lists details in my above filter and those mails come and go to trash.
    >
    > When I need to access mails of that list, I remove that list's details
    > from the filter, and once requirement is complete, I again add list's
    > details in the filter.
    >
    > I find it more convenient than changing subbing/ unsubbing/ web-only
    > etc. options for various lists as those require me to logging in to the
    > websites, remembering/ recalling passwords etc. And there are other
    > complications also.
    >
    > It would be convenient if I need not delete the filter entry for that
    > list so that its mails are no longer deleted. Some option is needed to
    > disable an individual line of the rule (while rest of the lines of rules
    > still work).

    Instead of deleting the filter, just unenable it

  3. Re: some method needed to temporarily deactivate a filter's individualrule

    V S Rawat wrote:
    > I have a filter in which I have included all those sender/ from/ subject
    > , etc. whose mails I want to be directly deleted automatically on receipt.
    >
    > I am member of several mailing lists also, but interest, requirement,
    > time available, etc. keep of changing so when I am not needing the mails
    > of a particular mailing list (yahoogroups or googlegroups), I add that
    > lists details in my above filter and those mails come and go to trash.
    >
    > When I need to access mails of that list, I remove that list's details
    > from the filter, and once requirement is complete, I again add list's
    > details in the filter.
    >
    > I find it more convenient than changing subbing/ unsubbing/ web-only
    > etc. options for various lists as those require me to logging in to the
    > websites, remembering/ recalling passwords etc. And there are other
    > complications also.
    >
    > It would be convenient if I need not delete the filter entry for that
    > list so that its mails are no longer deleted. Some option is needed to
    > disable an individual line of the rule (while rest of the lines of rules
    > still work).

    Having a single filter for all the lists email is quite frankly, a MISSION.

    What I suggest you do is either setup an IMAP mail server to store the
    mails or create folders under Inbox and as each group email arrives
    create a filter for it, either in TB or procmail, so that the message
    can be moved to the respective folder. That way you also build up a
    small knowledge base consisting of email from the groups and subjects
    that interest you. This is rather handy when you have a question and
    know it has already been answered. Instead of searching the net or list
    archives you can search your local archives and find the answer.

    If you do stay with your single filter idea, there is a check-box on the
    filter listing that can be unchecked thus disabling the filter ie all
    email will accumulate in your Inbox.

    Hope this helps

    Hylton

  4. Re: some method needed to temporarily deactivate a filter's individualrule

    On 29/04/08 13:45, V S Rawat wrote:
    > I have a filter in which I have included all those sender/ from/ subject
    > , etc. whose mails I want to be directly deleted automatically on receipt.
    >
    > I am member of several mailing lists also, but interest, requirement,
    > time available, etc. keep of changing so when I am not needing the mails
    > of a particular mailing list (yahoogroups or googlegroups), I add that
    > lists details in my above filter and those mails come and go to trash.
    >
    > When I need to access mails of that list, I remove that list's details
    > from the filter, and once requirement is complete, I again add list's
    > details in the filter.
    >
    > I find it more convenient than changing subbing/ unsubbing/ web-only
    > etc. options for various lists as those require me to logging in to the
    > websites, remembering/ recalling passwords etc. And there are other
    > complications also.
    >
    > It would be convenient if I need not delete the filter entry for that
    > list so that its mails are no longer deleted. Some option is needed to
    > disable an individual line of the rule (while rest of the lines of rules
    > still work).

    Make separate filters with separate names, e.g. one filter for each of
    these mailing lists. Then you can create separate folders under Local
    Folders and have each filter move the mail from a different "known" list
    (or other "known source": business, this friend, that friend, family,
    ....) into the appropriate folder, leaving only mail "from unknown
    sources" in your Inbox. You can then enable or disable each filter
    separately in the main popup where all filters are listed. Or you can
    change the "actions" separately for each filter (each list or other
    known source), deleting the mail when you don't need it and doing
    something else (such as moving it to a separate folder and marking it
    -or not- as non-junk) when you do need it.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Greener's Law:
    Never argue with a man who buys ink by the barrel.

  5. Re: some method needed to temporarily deactivate a filter's individualrule

    On 4/29/2008 5:48 PM India Time, _Moz Champion (Dan)_ wrote:

    > V S Rawat wrote:
    >> I have a filter in which I have included all those sender/ from/ subject
    >> , etc. whose mails I want to be directly deleted automatically on receipt.
    >>
    >> I am member of several mailing lists also, but interest, requirement,
    >> time available, etc. keep of changing so when I am not needing the mails
    >> of a particular mailing list (yahoogroups or googlegroups), I add that
    >> lists details in my above filter and those mails come and go to trash.
    >>
    >> When I need to access mails of that list, I remove that list's details
    >> from the filter, and once requirement is complete, I again add list's
    >> details in the filter.
    >>
    >> I find it more convenient than changing subbing/ unsubbing/ web-only
    >> etc. options for various lists as those require me to logging in to the
    >> websites, remembering/ recalling passwords etc. And there are other
    >> complications also.
    >>
    >> It would be convenient if I need not delete the filter entry for that
    >> list so that its mails are no longer deleted. Some option is needed to
    >> disable an individual line of the rule (while rest of the lines of rules
    >> still work).
    >>

    > Instead of deleting the filter, just unenable it

    Nope. I have one filter having several individual rules for deleting
    various type of mails. unenabling it (hmm, why not "disable" :-) ) would
    stop deleting all those other mails also.

    --
    Rawat

  6. Re: some method needed to temporarily deactivate a filter's individualrule

    *-* On Fri, 02 May 2008, at 13:58:34 +0530,
    *-* In Article 2IadnVXr-Z7IT4fVnZ2dnUVZ_oWdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* V S Rawat wrote
    *-* About Re: some method needed to temporarily deactivate a filter's
    individual rule

    > On 4/29/2008 5:48 PM India Time, _Moz Champion (Dan)_ wrote:

    >> V S Rawat wrote:
    >>> I have a filter in which I have included all those sender/ from/
    >>> subject , etc. whose mails I want to be directly deleted
    >>> automatically on receipt.

    >>> I am member of several mailing lists also, but interest,
    >>> requirement, time available, etc. keep of changing so when I am
    >>> not needing the mails of a particular mailing list (yahoogroups or
    >>> googlegroups), I add that lists details in my above filter and
    >>> those mails come and go to trash.

    >>> When I need to access mails of that list, I remove that list's
    >>> details from the filter, and once requirement is complete, I again
    >>> add list's details in the filter.

    >>> I find it more convenient than changing subbing/ unsubbing/
    >>> web-only etc. options for various lists as those require me to
    >>> logging in to the websites, remembering/ recalling passwords etc.
    >>> And there are other complications also.

    >>> It would be convenient if I need not delete the filter entry for
    >>> that list so that its mails are no longer deleted. Some option is
    >>> needed to disable an individual line of the rule (while rest of
    >>> the lines of rules still work).

    >> Instead of deleting the filter, just unenable it

    > Nope. I have one filter having several individual rules for deleting
    > various type of mails. unenabling it (hmm, why not "disable" :-) )
    > would stop deleting all those other mails also.

    Considering the way you use that filter, you might be better off
    creating a set of filters instead, one for each mailing list. Then
    you could enable/disable them individually, as desired/needed. Once
    the set is ready, you could delete the single filter you have now.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  7. Re: some method needed to temporarily deactivate a filter's individualrule

    * V S Rawat wrote, On 4/29/2008 04:45:
    > I have a filter in which I have included all those sender/ from/ subject
    > , etc. whose mails I want to be directly deleted automatically on receipt.
    >
    > I am member of several mailing lists also, but interest, requirement,
    > time available, etc. keep of changing so when I am not needing the mails
    > of a particular mailing list (yahoogroups or googlegroups), I add that
    > lists details in my above filter and those mails come and go to trash.
    >
    > When I need to access mails of that list, I remove that list's details
    > from the filter, and once requirement is complete, I again add list's
    > details in the filter.
    >
    > I find it more convenient than changing subbing/ unsubbing/ web-only
    > etc. options for various lists as those require me to logging in to the
    > websites, remembering/ recalling passwords etc. And there are other
    > complications also.
    >
    > It would be convenient if I need not delete the filter entry for that
    > list so that its mails are no longer deleted. Some option is needed to
    > disable an individual line of the rule (while rest of the lines of rules
    > still work).

    As several others have replied, I quickly learned to create separate
    filters for each list and even for each type of filter when filtering
    spam in Newsgroups, or for filtering incoming mail to different folders.
    Miles

+ Reply to Thread