Problems with smtp - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Problems with smtp - Mozilla ; TB 2.0.0.12 I have 6 email addresses but only 1 can send thru Outgoing server (SMTP): SBC - smtp.att.yahoo.com (Default). All the others have Outgoing server (SMTP): Use Default server for smtp and I get a ms. Sending of message ...

  1. Problems with smtp

    TB 2.0.0.12

    I have 6 email addresses but only 1 can send thru

    Outgoing server (SMTP): SBC - smtp.att.yahoo.com
    (Default).

    All the others have

    Outgoing server (SMTP): Use Default server

    for smtp and I get a ms.

    Sending of message failed.
    The ms could not be sent because connecting to
    smtp server .... failed.

    Is there any other setting to send from these 5
    addresses thru default server?

    Thx

    jj

  2. Re: Problems with smtp

    JollyJo keyboarded, On 4/28/2008 7:19 PM :
    > TB 2.0.0.12
    >
    > I have 6 email addresses but only 1 can send thru
    >
    > Outgoing server (SMTP): SBC - smtp.att.yahoo.com (Default).
    >
    > All the others have
    >
    > Outgoing server (SMTP): Use Default server
    >
    > for smtp and I get a ms.
    >
    > Sending of message failed.
    > The ms could not be sent because connecting to smtp server .... failed.
    >
    > Is there any other setting to send from these 5 addresses thru default
    > server?
    >
    > Thx
    >
    > jj

    Use the Account Settings dialog and at bottom left select the SMTP
    Outgoing item. On the right you can add more server entries.

    Then go up to each account that is serviced by the new entries and use
    the drop down to replace the default with one of the new entries.

    Now you should have each account with matching in and out servers. That
    should stop the error messages your getting.

    --
    Ron K.

  3. Re: Problems with smtp

    Ron K. wrote:
    > JollyJo keyboarded, On 4/28/2008 7:19 PM :
    >> TB 2.0.0.12
    >>
    >> I have 6 email addresses but only 1 can send thru
    >>
    >> Outgoing server (SMTP): SBC - smtp.att.yahoo.com (Default).
    >>
    >> All the others have
    >>
    >> Outgoing server (SMTP): Use Default server
    >>
    >> for smtp and I get a ms.
    >>
    >> Sending of message failed.
    >> The ms could not be sent because connecting to smtp server .... failed.
    >>
    >> Is there any other setting to send from these 5 addresses thru default
    >> server?
    >>
    >> Thx
    >>
    >> jj

    Thank you Ron - that was speedy :-)

    > Use the Account Settings dialog and at bottom left select the SMTP
    > Outgoing item. On the right you can add more server entries.

    I have only one SMTP server - smtp.att.yahoo.com

    > Then go up to each account that is serviced by the new entries and use
    > the drop down to replace the default with one of the new entries.

    It seems I have only two choices
    smtp.att.yahoo.com(Default) and Default server.
    For the first (top) user name I have used the
    smtp.att.yahoo.com server and
    that user's name is the username on the smtp
    setting. Mails go out from this
    address ok

    All the lower addresses have Default for SMTP
    server.

    To complicate this a bit further, none of these
    user names have email address of the ATT account
    holder. I tried this username on the SMTP but it
    did not work.

    > Now you should have each account with matching in and out servers. That
    > should stop the error messages your getting.

    Before I switched the lower users to the Default
    SMTP I had each one on the smtp.att.yahoo.com
    but that didn't work either.

    Could you explain your SMTP server settings again
    for each user?

  4. Re: Problems with smtp

    JollyJo keyboarded, On 4/29/2008 4:02 PM :
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> JollyJo keyboarded, On 4/28/2008 7:19 PM :
    >>> TB 2.0.0.12
    >>>
    >>> I have 6 email addresses but only 1 can send thru
    >>>
    >>> Outgoing server (SMTP): SBC - smtp.att.yahoo.com (Default).
    >>>
    >>> All the others have
    >>>
    >>> Outgoing server (SMTP): Use Default server
    >>>
    >>> for smtp and I get a ms.
    >>>
    >>> Sending of message failed.
    >>> The ms could not be sent because connecting to smtp server ....
    >>> failed.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any other setting to send from these 5 addresses thru
    >>> default server?
    >>>
    >>> Thx
    >>>
    >>> jj

    > Thank you Ron - that was speedy :-)
    >

    >> Use the Account Settings dialog and at bottom left select the SMTP
    >> Outgoing item. On the right you can add more server entries.

    > I have only one SMTP server - smtp.att.yahoo.com
    >
    >> Then go up to each account that is serviced by the new entries and
    >> use the drop down to replace the default with one of the new entries.

    > It seems I have only two choices smtp.att.yahoo.com(Default) and
    > Default server.
    > For the first (top) user name I have used the smtp.att.yahoo.com
    > server and
    > that user's name is the username on the smtp setting. Mails go out
    > from this
    > address ok
    >
    > All the lower addresses have Default for SMTP server.
    >
    > To complicate this a bit further, none of these user names have email
    > address of the ATT account holder. I tried this username on the SMTP
    > but it did not work.
    >

    >> Now you should have each account with matching in and out servers.
    >> That should stop the error messages your getting.

    > Before I switched the lower users to the Default SMTP I had each one
    > on the smtp.att.yahoo.com but that didn't work either.
    >
    > Could you explain your SMTP server settings again for each user?

    May be easier if you list the account and what ISP is providing the
    incoming mailbox for the account. Usually each ISP has there own
    outbound SMTP server. In other words, if the account is from Googles
    gmail then the gmail SMTP server should be configured for that account
    so the user identity matches and gmail will happily process your sent mail.

    That is why I said, set up the other SMTP servers first. Because then
    when readjusting the gmail account the gmail SMTP server will be in the
    list of server options to select from. I am simply using gmail as an
    example.

    --
    Ron K.

  5. Re: Problems with smtp

    Ron K. wrote:
    > JollyJo keyboarded, On 4/29/2008 4:02 PM :
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> JollyJo keyboarded, On 4/28/2008 7:19 PM :

    >> Thank you Ron - that was speedy :-)
    >>

    >>> Use the Account Settings dialog and at bottom left select the SMTP
    >>> Outgoing item. On the right you can add more server entries.

    >> I have only one SMTP server - smtp.att.yahoo.com
    >>
    >>> Then go up to each account that is serviced by the new entries and
    >>> use the drop down to replace the default with one of the new entries.

    >> It seems I have only two choices smtp.att.yahoo.com(Default) and
    >> Default server.
    >> For the first (top) user name I have used the smtp.att.yahoo.com
    >> server and
    >> that user's name is the username on the smtp setting. Mails go out
    >> from this
    >> address ok
    >>
    >> All the lower addresses have Default for SMTP server.
    >>
    >> To complicate this a bit further, none of these user names have email
    >> address of the ATT account holder. I tried this username on the SMTP
    >> but it did not work.
    >>

    >>> Now you should have each account with matching in and out servers.
    >>> That should stop the error messages your getting.

    >> Before I switched the lower users to the Default SMTP I had each one
    >> on the smtp.att.yahoo.com but that didn't work either.
    >>
    >> Could you explain your SMTP server settings again for each user?

    > May be easier if you list the account and what ISP is providing the
    > incoming mailbox for the account. Usually each ISP has there own
    > outbound SMTP server. In other words, if the account is from Googles
    > gmail then the gmail SMTP server should be configured for that account
    > so the user identity matches and gmail will happily process your sent mail.
    >
    > That is why I said, set up the other SMTP servers first. Because then
    > when readjusting the gmail account the gmail SMTP server will be in the
    > list of server options to select from. I am simply using gmail as an
    > example.

    Thanks again Ron but my situation is much simpler.

    One email address is a Hotmail one. Let's forget
    about that one for now.

    All other addresses are ATT.Yahoo. Only one
    ATT.yahoo address can send out via
    SMTP.ATT.Yahoo.com. All others can't. Is it
    possible to set up an SMTP server account for each
    of the other ATT.Yahoo accounts? - so that each
    ATT.Yahoo user's name would then be in the
    Security and Authentication window of Server
    Settings for that account. Apart from the user's
    name, all other settings in all the SMTP servers
    would be the same.

  6. Re: Problems with smtp

    JollyJo keyboarded, On 4/30/2008 12:42 AM :
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> JollyJo keyboarded, On 4/29/2008 4:02 PM :

    >>> Thank you Ron - that was speedy :-)

    >>> I have only one SMTP server - smtp.att.yahoo.com

    >>> It seems I have only two choices smtp.att.yahoo.com(Default) and
    >>> Default server.
    >>> For the first (top) user name I have used the smtp.att.yahoo.com
    >>> server and
    >>> that user's name is the username on the smtp setting. Mails go out
    >>> from this
    >>> address ok
    >>>
    >>> All the lower addresses have Default for SMTP server.
    >>>
    >>> To complicate this a bit further, none of these user names have
    >>> email address of the ATT account holder. I tried this username on
    >>> the SMTP but it did not work.

    >>> Before I switched the lower users to the Default SMTP I had each one
    >>> on the smtp.att.yahoo.com but that didn't work either.
    >>>
    >>> Could you explain your SMTP server settings again for each user?

    >> May be easier if you list the account and what ISP is providing the
    >> incoming mailbox for the account. Usually each ISP has there own
    >> outbound SMTP server. In other words, if the account is from Googles
    >> gmail then the gmail SMTP server should be configured for that
    >> account so the user identity matches and gmail will happily process
    >> your sent mail.
    >>
    >> That is why I said, set up the other SMTP servers first. Because then
    >> when readjusting the gmail account the gmail SMTP server will be in
    >> the list of server options to select from. I am simply using gmail
    >> as an example.
    >>

    > Thanks again Ron but my situation is much simpler.
    >
    > One email address is a Hotmail one. Let's forget about that one for now.
    >
    > All other addresses are ATT.Yahoo. Only one ATT.yahoo address can send
    > out via SMTP.ATT.Yahoo.com. All others can't. Is it possible to set
    > up an SMTP server account for each of the other ATT.Yahoo accounts? -
    > so that each ATT.Yahoo user's name would then be in the Security and
    > Authentication window of Server Settings for that account. Apart from
    > the user's name, all other settings in all the SMTP servers would be
    > the same.

    OK, sounds like You have a plan. Yes, several entries could be for the
    same server and include the distinctive athentication that each identity
    has. Give each outgoing setup a name that coordinates with the account.

    --
    Ron K.

  7. Re: Problems with smtp

    *-* On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, at 21:42:52 -0700,
    *-* In Article F_mdnSc-d4gSZYrVnZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* JollyJo wrote
    *-* About Re: Problems with smtp

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    > One email address is a Hotmail one. Let's forget about that one for
    > now.

    > All other addresses are ATT.Yahoo. Only one ATT.yahoo address can
    > send out via SMTP.ATT.Yahoo.com. All others can't. Is it possible
    > to set up an SMTP server account for each of the other ATT.Yahoo
    > accounts? - so that each ATT.Yahoo user's name would then be in the
    > Security and Authentication window of Server Settings for that
    > account. Apart from the user's name, all other settings in all the
    > SMTP servers would be the same.

    Have you tried setting up the other addresses as additional
    identities under the primary account (the one that works)?

    Tools --> Account Settings --> [Account name] --> Manage Identities...

    See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbir...ple_Identities
    for additional information. There's also another current thread in
    this group, with the Subject: Help with multiple aliases... which
    addresses much the same situation. You might want to take a look at
    that as well.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  8. Re: Problems with smtp

    Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, at 21:42:52 -0700,
    > *-* In Article F_mdnSc-d4gSZYrVnZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* JollyJo wrote
    > *-* About Re: Problems with smtp
    >
    > [ ... ]

    > [ ... ]
    >
    >> One email address is a Hotmail one. Let's forget about that one for
    >> now.

    >> All other addresses are ATT.Yahoo. Only one ATT.yahoo address can
    >> send out via SMTP.ATT.Yahoo.com. All others can't. Is it possible
    >> to set up an SMTP server account for each of the other ATT.Yahoo
    >> accounts? - so that each ATT.Yahoo user's name would then be in the
    >> Security and Authentication window of Server Settings for that
    >> account. Apart from the user's name, all other settings in all the
    >> SMTP servers would be the same.

    > Have you tried setting up the other addresses as additional
    > identities under the primary account (the one that works)?
    >
    > Tools --> Account Settings --> [Account name] --> Manage Identities...
    >
    > See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbir...ple_Identities
    > for additional information. There's also another current thread in
    > this group, with the Subject: Help with multiple aliases... which
    > addresses much the same situation. You might want to take a look at
    > that as well.
    >
    > Ken Whiton
    >
    > FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    Thanks Ken for your input. I will follow your
    suggestion shortly.

    For most of a year I had no problems getting all
    my email addresses to send
    via the same ATT-Yahoo SMTP server. I had not made
    any entries in the Manage Identities at that time.
    Then all stopped sending, except one - the one
    whose name was on the SMTP authentication.

    I went to the ATT-Yahoo website and changed all my
    passwords. Then I set up all the email addresses
    on TB 2.0.0.12 with the same passwords. All worked
    perfectly for a couple of weeks and then all
    stopped sending except one. I spent 20 mins on the
    ATT-Yahoo chat last night and the guy answering
    knew almost nothing.

    I have just been reading the forums.mozalline.org
    and there was an incidence of a similar problem
    with a pacbell address - it seems that ATT made
    some changes. My guess is that they are trying to
    resurrect the old ATT by dropping the pacbell,
    sbc, etc names or somehow modifying them. Recently
    sbc.yahoo.com became att.yahoo.com.

  9. Re: Problems with smtp

    JollyJo wrote:
    > Ken Whiton wrote:
    >> *-* On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, at 21:42:52 -0700,
    >> *-* In Article F_mdnSc-d4gSZYrVnZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    >> *-* JollyJo wrote
    >> *-* About Re: Problems with smtp
    >>
    >> [ ... ]

    >> [ ... ]
    >>
    >>> One email address is a Hotmail one. Let's forget about that one for
    >>> now.

    >>> All other addresses are ATT.Yahoo. Only one ATT.yahoo address can
    >>> send out via SMTP.ATT.Yahoo.com. All others can't. Is it possible
    >>> to set up an SMTP server account for each of the other ATT.Yahoo
    >>> accounts? - so that each ATT.Yahoo user's name would then be in the
    >>> Security and Authentication window of Server Settings for that
    >>> account. Apart from the user's name, all other settings in all the
    >>> SMTP servers would be the same.

    >> Have you tried setting up the other addresses as additional
    >> identities under the primary account (the one that works)?
    >>
    >> Tools --> Account Settings --> [Account name] --> Manage Identities...
    >>
    >> See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbir...ple_Identities
    >> for additional information. There's also another current thread in
    >> this group, with the Subject: Help with multiple aliases... which
    >> addresses much the same situation. You might want to take a look at
    >> that as well.
    >>
    >> Ken Whiton
    >>
    >> FIDO: 1:132/152
    >> InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    > Thanks Ken for your input. I will follow your suggestion shortly.
    >
    > For most of a year I had no problems getting all my email addresses to send
    > via the same ATT-Yahoo SMTP server. I had not made any entries in the
    > Manage Identities at that time. Then all stopped sending, except one -
    > the one whose name was on the SMTP authentication.
    >
    > I went to the ATT-Yahoo website and changed all my passwords. Then I set
    > up all the email addresses on TB 2.0.0.12 with the same passwords. All
    > worked perfectly for a couple of weeks and then all stopped sending
    > except one. I spent 20 mins on the ATT-Yahoo chat last night and the guy
    > answering knew almost nothing.
    >
    > I have just been reading the forums.mozalline.org and there was an
    > incidence of a similar problem with a pacbell address - it seems that
    > ATT made some changes. My guess is that they are trying to resurrect the
    > old ATT by dropping the pacbell, sbc, etc names or somehow modifying
    > them. Recently sbc.yahoo.com became att.yahoo.com.

    Ken, I set up all the addresses in the Manage
    Identities and it made NO difference.
    Seems like we have a half-baked lump of bloat

  10. Re: Problems with smtp

    JollyJo wrote:
    > Ken Whiton wrote:
    >> *-* On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, at 21:42:52 -0700,
    >> *-* In Article F_mdnSc-d4gSZYrVnZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    >> *-* JollyJo wrote
    >> *-* About Re: Problems with smtp
    >>
    >> [ ... ]

    >> [ ... ]
    >>
    >>> One email address is a Hotmail one. Let's forget about that one for
    >>> now.

    >>> All other addresses are ATT.Yahoo. Only one ATT.yahoo address can
    >>> send out via SMTP.ATT.Yahoo.com. All others can't. Is it possible
    >>> to set up an SMTP server account for each of the other ATT.Yahoo
    >>> accounts? - so that each ATT.Yahoo user's name would then be in the
    >>> Security and Authentication window of Server Settings for that
    >>> account. Apart from the user's name, all other settings in all the
    >>> SMTP servers would be the same.

    >> Have you tried setting up the other addresses as additional
    >> identities under the primary account (the one that works)?
    >>
    >> Tools --> Account Settings --> [Account name] --> Manage Identities...
    >>
    >> See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbir...ple_Identities
    >> for additional information. There's also another current thread in
    >> this group, with the Subject: Help with multiple aliases... which
    >> addresses much the same situation. You might want to take a look at
    >> that as well.
    >>
    >> Ken Whiton
    >>
    >> FIDO: 1:132/152
    >> InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    > Thanks Ken for your input. I will follow your suggestion shortly.
    >
    > For most of a year I had no problems getting all my email addresses to send
    > via the same ATT-Yahoo SMTP server. I had not made any entries in the
    > Manage Identities at that time. Then all stopped sending, except one -
    > the one whose name was on the SMTP authentication.
    >
    > I went to the ATT-Yahoo website and changed all my passwords. Then I set
    > up all the email addresses on TB 2.0.0.12 with the same passwords. All
    > worked perfectly for a couple of weeks and then all stopped sending
    > except one. I spent 20 mins on the ATT-Yahoo chat last night and the guy
    > answering knew almost nothing.
    >
    > I have just been reading the forums.mozalline.org and there was an
    > incidence of a similar problem with a pacbell address - it seems that
    > ATT made some changes. My guess is that they are trying to resurrect the
    > old ATT by dropping the pacbell, sbc, etc names or somehow modifying
    > them. Recently sbc.yahoo.com became att.yahoo.com.

    Ken, I set up all the addresses in the Manage
    Identities and it made NO difference.

    This question now related to verification, so I
    have started a new thread for it.

    Thanks for your suggestion.

+ Reply to Thread