Filtering Google Groups - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Filtering Google Groups - Mozilla ; Okay ... I've had it. I am ready to join the band wagon. I'm willing to ignore all information coming from Google groups (on my regular Usenet server, not this one) so I can block all of the SPAM and ...

  1. Filtering Google Groups

    Okay ... I've had it. I am ready to join the band wagon. I'm willing
    to ignore all information coming from Google groups (on my regular
    Usenet server, not this one) so I can block all of the SPAM and other
    useless postings.

    I think it would be great if, ultimately, enough people did this that
    Google realized their attempt to "own" Usenet has put them to shame and
    they find a way to police usage of their entry point (Google Groups), or
    better yet ... return to merely providing an archive as Deja News did
    before they acquired it.

    But regardless of that ... I simply wish to filter postings from Google
    Groups. I see that a patch has been added to the TB3 trunk build to
    expand the message filter's abilities by allowing filtering on any
    header. (I can not find the link anymore, but I did read the page last
    week some time.) Is there any hope of that patch making it's way into
    TB2? ... Or has anyone found a clever way to filter Google Group postings?

    Newsgroups are becoming increasingly more difficult to read these days,
    thanks to Google's self claimed "proprietorship" and the resultant
    flood of SPAM entering the Usenet stream from Google Groups.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

  2. Re: Filtering Google Groups

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > Okay ... I've had it. I am ready to join the band wagon. I'm willing
    > to ignore all information coming from Google groups (on my regular
    > Usenet server, not this one) so I can block all of the SPAM and other
    > useless postings.
    >
    > I think it would be great if, ultimately, enough people did this that
    > Google realized their attempt to "own" Usenet has put them to shame and
    > they find a way to police usage of their entry point (Google Groups), or
    > better yet ... return to merely providing an archive as Deja News did
    > before they acquired it.

    Google won't do anything about it. It's up to the user. See link in my
    sig, and for filtering GG posts if you're a TB user, go here:

    http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  3. Re: Filtering Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> Okay ... I've had it. I am ready to join the band wagon. I'm willing
    >> to ignore all information coming from Google groups (on my regular
    >> Usenet server, not this one) so I can block all of the SPAM and other
    >> useless postings.
    >>
    >> I think it would be great if, ultimately, enough people did this that
    >> Google realized their attempt to "own" Usenet has put them to shame and
    >> they find a way to police usage of their entry point (Google Groups), or
    >> better yet ... return to merely providing an archive as Deja News did
    >> before they acquired it.
    >>

    > Google won't do anything about it. It's up to the user. See link in my
    > sig, and for filtering GG posts if you're a TB user, go here:
    >
    > http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

    Yep ... I've been to your site. You're a big part of "the band wagon" I
    am ready to join. (I catch your posts in a.w.webmasters and c.l.php,
    too, I believe. I think you were once at PZ, too ? ... I still am.)

    I wish Mozilla would get this feature into a patch of TB2, as the wait
    for TB3 is going to be a long one (especially for someone like me who
    does not like to upgrade until it appears the kinks are out).

    The proxy solution you suggest is not something I want to do at this
    point. I read that the TB3 patch was a simple one. I'd like to think it
    could make it into TB2.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Nothing he's got he really needs
    Twenty first century schizoid man.
    ***********************************

  4. Re: Filtering Google Groups

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Okay ... I've had it. I am ready to join the band wagon. I'm
    >>> willing to ignore all information coming from Google groups (on my
    >>> regular Usenet server, not this one) so I can block all of the SPAM
    >>> and other useless postings.

    >> http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

    > Yep ... I've been to your site. You're a big part of "the band wagon" I
    > am ready to join. (I catch your posts in a.w.webmasters and c.l.php,
    > too, I believe. I think you were once at PZ, too ? ... I still am.)

    It more or less says TB is "wanting" (to be polite)

    > I wish Mozilla would get this feature into a patch of TB2, as the wait
    > for TB3 is going to be a long one (especially for someone like me who
    > does not like to upgrade until it appears the kinks are out).

    I'm still wondering how code could be designed that for such similar
    functions has such different capabilities. I'm referring to the mail and
    news filtering in tb of course. And I'm actively looking to drop use of
    tb because of this very issue.

+ Reply to Thread