Add addresses with an @domain part to address book? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Add addresses with an @domain part to address book? - Mozilla ; Is there any way to add email addresses which do not have an @domain part to the address book? I.e. I just want to be able to add "name" in the email address field of the address book. This is ...

  1. Add addresses with an @domain part to address book?

    Is there any way to add email addresses which do not have an @domain part
    to the address book? I.e. I just want to be able to add "name" in the
    email address field of the address book.

    This is to work better with the Forumzilla extension but it could also be
    useful on some local-only networks where there is no need for a domain
    part.

    MarkR

  2. Re: Add addresses with an @domain part to address book?

    On 28/04/08 03:29, Mark Rousell wrote:
    > Is there any way to add email addresses which do not have an @domain part
    > to the address book? I.e. I just want to be able to add "name" in the
    > email address field of the address book.
    >
    > This is to work better with the Forumzilla extension but it could also be
    > useful on some local-only networks where there is no need for a domain
    > part.
    >

    > MarkR

    I don't know. If it doesn't work with no @ part, try adding @localhost
    (or something) to the bare name and see if it still works.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    fortune's Contribution of the Month to the Animal Rights Debate:

    I'll stay out of animals' way if they'll stay out of mine.
    "Hey you, get off my plate"
    -- Roger Midnight

  3. Re: Add addresses with an @domain part to address book?

    > If it doesn't work with no @ part, try adding @localhost
    > (or something) to the bare name and see if it still works.

    That would certainly allow me to add the name to the address book but
    unfortunately it wouldn't solve the particular issue which causes me to
    ask this question.

    To expand a little on the problem, the Forumzilla extension downloads RSS
    articles and stores them in a folder of your choice, setting the From
    field in the process. Some From fields set by Forumzilla do not have an
    @domain part. I'd like to set messages from these pseudo-addresses to
    automatically download HTML graphics but this is not possible unless I can
    add them to the TB address book, and I can't add them to the TB address
    book unless they have an @domain part.

    The quickest solution, if it currently exists, is therefore for TB to
    accept email 'addresses' in the address book which do not have @domain
    parts. Thus I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to do this.

    Directly editing the Mork file might do it but, all things considered, I'd
    rather do this as a last resort. Having said that, does anyone know of a
    generic Mork editor?

    MarkR

  4. Re: Add addresses with an @domain part to address book?

    Mark Rousell keyboarded, On 4/28/2008 12:03 AM :
    >> If it doesn't work with no @ part, try adding @localhost
    >> (or something) to the bare name and see if it still works.
    >>

    > That would certainly allow me to add the name to the address book but
    > unfortunately it wouldn't solve the particular issue which causes me to
    > ask this question.
    >
    > To expand a little on the problem, the Forumzilla extension downloads RSS
    > articles and stores them in a folder of your choice, setting the From
    > field in the process. Some From fields set by Forumzilla do not have an
    > @domain part. I'd like to set messages from these pseudo-addresses to
    > automatically download HTML graphics but this is not possible unless I can
    > add them to the TB address book, and I can't add them to the TB address
    > book unless they have an @domain part.
    >
    > The quickest solution, if it currently exists, is therefore for TB to
    > accept email 'addresses' in the address book which do not have @domain
    > parts. Thus I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to do this.
    >
    > Directly editing the Mork file might do it but, all things considered, I'd
    > rather do this as a last resort. Having said that, does anyone know of a
    > generic Mork editor?
    >

    > MarkR

    Yes you can. The key question is, are these sites you regularly visit
    and which you trust? If they are trust worthy then you can write a CAPS
    policy that removes restrictions for the source domains. The
    MozillaZine KB has an article on this for Fx that also applies for Tb.
    Search on CAPS or Remote Images. I do know that CAPS policies work with
    Tb as I have one in place to permit javascripts from specific servers to
    run with elevated privileges.

    --
    Ron K.

  5. Re: Add addresses with an @domain part to address book?

    > If they are trust worthy then you can write a
    > CAPS policy that removes restrictions for the source domains. The
    > MozillaZine KB has an article on this for Fx that also applies for Tb.
    > Search on CAPS or Remote Images. I do know that CAPS policies work
    > with Tb as I have one in place to permit javascripts from specific
    > servers to run with elevated privileges.

    This looks very powerful. Many thanks for putting me onto it - I'll read
    the KB article in detail and see if I can make it do what I want.

    Once again, thanks for your help Ron.

    MarkR

  6. Re: Add addresses with an @domain part to address book?

    Mark Rousell keyboarded, On 4/28/2008 6:32 PM :
    >> If they are trust worthy then you can write a
    >> CAPS policy that removes restrictions for the source domains. The
    >> MozillaZine KB has an article on this for Fx that also applies for Tb.
    >> Search on CAPS or Remote Images. I do know that CAPS policies work
    >> with Tb as I have one in place to permit javascripts from specific
    >> servers to run with elevated privileges.
    >>

    > This looks very powerful. Many thanks for putting me onto it - I'll read
    > the KB article in detail and see if I can make it do what I want.
    >
    > Once again, thanks for your help Ron.
    >

    > MarkR

    Here is a portion of my CAPS policy from my user.js file.
    user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "allowjs"); ///create policy
    name
    user_pref("capability.policy.allowjs.sites",
    "snews://secnews.netscape.com:563 news://news.mozilla.org:119");

    The sites need to listed in a space delimited string, the whole string
    in quotes.

    --
    Ron K.

  7. Re: Add addresses with an @domain part to address book?

    > Here is a portion of my CAPS policy from my user.js file.
    > user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "allowjs"); ///create
    > policy name
    > user_pref("capability.policy.allowjs.sites",
    > "snews://secnews.netscape.com:563 news://news.mozilla.org:119");
    >
    > The sites need to listed in a space delimited string, the whole string
    > in quotes.

    Many thanks for the pointer.

    I had some difficulties finding the name of the property I needed to allow
    images and so I installed the Policy Manager extension in Firefox and used
    that to create a policy (for FF) that matched my intentions. I then copied
    the relevant parts over to Thunderbird.

    These are the lines from my TB prefs.js file:

    user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "showimages");
    user_pref("capability.policy.showimages.__permission__.image", 1);
    user_pref("capability.policy.showimages.sites",
    "http://www.schneier.com");

    As you can see, I'm trying to allow images from Bruce Schneier's site for
    his Crypto-Gram newsletters via RSS.

    Unfortunately this still didn't work. It seems that Thunderbird uses some
    sort of extra mechanism on top of security policies to decide whether or
    not to show external images in any particular message.

    In the end I got it working by hacking the abook.mab file manually.
    Forumzilla renders the From address for the Crypto-Gram newsletter simply
    as "schneier" and so, using the GUI, I added "schneier@a" to the address
    book and allowed remote images in HTML for that address. I then opened the
    abook.mab file in a text editor, removed the "@a", and it all works
    correctly now: Remote images are automatically displayed for the
    newsletter.

    MarkR

+ Reply to Thread