Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability - Mozilla ; A subject came up in the Microsoft Office Mac Forums concerning send office items direct by email through those programs. Some people on the forums say that Mozilla products don't support MAPI. And That mozilla has been promising for years ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    A subject came up in the Microsoft Office Mac Forums concerning send
    office items direct by email through those programs.

    Some people on the forums say that Mozilla products don't support MAPI.
    And That mozilla has been promising for years support of MAPI in all
    there products. But haven't.

    Any hope, and reasons why not?

    This would also fix a problem with the ability of Adobe acrobat to allow
    only Mail and anything but Mozilla Products to share PDF's for
    commenting and changing and sending back or emailing PDF's directly
    within acrobat.

    What are the stumbling blocks I've wonder for years why only limits
    applications allowed such abilities and not Mozilla products.

  2. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > A subject came up in the Microsoft Office Mac Forums concerning send
    > office items direct by email through those programs.
    >
    > Some people on the forums say that Mozilla products don't support MAPI.
    > And That mozilla has been promising for years support of MAPI in all
    > there products. But haven't.
    >
    > Any hope, and reasons why not?
    >
    > This would also fix a problem with the ability of Adobe acrobat to allow
    > only Mail and anything but Mozilla Products to share PDF's for
    > commenting and changing and sending back or emailing PDF's directly
    > within acrobat.
    >
    > What are the stumbling blocks I've wonder for years why only limits
    > applications allowed such abilities and not Mozilla products.

    Proprietary software. Isn't it a bind.

    Ask not why T-Bird doesn't support MAPI, ask why Adobe doesn't allow
    emailing via SMTP.

    And as for editing PDF files, well, I live in hope that one day
    OpenOffice will be able to do that.

    Not holding my breath, though.

    Phil

  3. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Phil Randal wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> A subject came up in the Microsoft Office Mac Forums concerning send
    >> office items direct by email through those programs.
    >>
    >> Some people on the forums say that Mozilla products don't support
    >> MAPI. And That mozilla has been promising for years support of MAPI in
    >> all there products. But haven't.
    >>
    >> Any hope, and reasons why not?
    >>
    >> This would also fix a problem with the ability of Adobe acrobat to
    >> allow only Mail and anything but Mozilla Products to share PDF's for
    >> commenting and changing and sending back or emailing PDF's directly
    >> within acrobat.
    >>
    >> What are the stumbling blocks I've wonder for years why only limits
    >> applications allowed such abilities and not Mozilla products.

    > Proprietary software. Isn't it a bind.
    >
    > Ask not why T-Bird doesn't support MAPI, ask why Adobe doesn't allow
    > emailing via SMTP.
    >
    > And as for editing PDF files, well, I live in hope that one day
    > OpenOffice will be able to do that.
    >
    > Not holding my breath, though.
    >
    > Phil

    Its seems strange that a feature that is readily accessibly by Mail,
    Eudora, and Entourage on Acrobat refuse to work with Mozilla products.
    What's different about those products?
    at one time the news groups for Acrobat the folks said that Mozilla
    products were not mbox compatible.
    And looks like Mac's would be even more so since they use UNIX as
    underlying system and UNIX is where the mbox standard came from.

    In doing a wikipedia search of MAPI the article stated That MS does
    license the MAI Technology.

  4. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > A subject came up in the Microsoft Office Mac Forums concerning send
    > office items direct by email through those programs.
    >
    > Some people on the forums say that Mozilla products don't support MAPI.
    > And That mozilla has been promising for years support of MAPI in all
    > there products. But haven't.
    >
    > Any hope, and reasons why not?
    >
    > This would also fix a problem with the ability of Adobe acrobat to allow
    > only Mail and anything but Mozilla Products to share PDF's for
    > commenting and changing and sending back or emailing PDF's directly
    > within acrobat.
    >
    > What are the stumbling blocks I've wonder for years why only limits
    > applications allowed such abilities and not Mozilla products.

    I know you can set up an IMAP email account however, I could only get TB
    to only take one SMTP server for outgoing. I have two pop3 and one MAPI
    account. Consequently I could down load my work emails and other pop3
    account but my pop3 responses would go through the one SMTP and the MAPI
    account doesn't like it - it won't send responses.

    My Org's email account wouldn't like responses going through it's SMTP
    from my personal pop3 accounts. So, I found it better to use the Org's
    webmail access instead of setting up the IMAP account.

    --

    plb2862

    Running: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 6.0.6000, Office 2007, IIS
    7.0, SQL Server 2005, MSDN 2005
    Oracle 10g
    Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 (20080213) & Firefox 2.0.0.14
    SpamPal v1.594
    Bad Words, MXBlocking, RegExFilter, UcDNSBL, URLBody, ExtraDNSBL
    LIST:COUNTRY

  5. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T said the following On 04/26/2008 09:20 PM:
    > A subject came up in the Microsoft Office Mac Forums concerning send
    > office items direct by email through those programs.
    >
    > Some people on the forums say that Mozilla products don't support MAPI.
    > And That mozilla has been promising for years support of MAPI in all
    > there products. But haven't.
    >
    > Any hope, and reasons why not?
    >
    > This would also fix a problem with the ability of Adobe acrobat to allow
    > only Mail and anything but Mozilla Products to share PDF's for
    > commenting and changing and sending back or emailing PDF's directly
    > within acrobat.
    >
    > What are the stumbling blocks I've wonder for years why only limits
    > applications allowed such abilities and not Mozilla products.

    Take a look to this article "http://kb.mozillazine.org/MAPI_Support"

  6. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T keyboarded, On 4/26/2008 1:07 PM :
    > Phil Randal wrote:
    >> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >>> A subject came up in the Microsoft Office Mac Forums concerning send
    >>> office items direct by email through those programs.
    >>>
    >>> Some people on the forums say that Mozilla products don't support
    >>> MAPI. And That mozilla has been promising for years support of MAPI
    >>> in all there products. But haven't.
    >>>
    >>> Any hope, and reasons why not?
    >>>
    >>> This would also fix a problem with the ability of Adobe acrobat to
    >>> allow only Mail and anything but Mozilla Products to share PDF's
    >>> for commenting and changing and sending back or emailing PDF's
    >>> directly within acrobat.
    >>>
    >>> What are the stumbling blocks I've wonder for years why only limits
    >>> applications allowed such abilities and not Mozilla products.

    >> Proprietary software. Isn't it a bind.
    >>
    >> Ask not why T-Bird doesn't support MAPI, ask why Adobe doesn't allow
    >> emailing via SMTP.
    >>
    >> And as for editing PDF files, well, I live in hope that one day
    >> OpenOffice will be able to do that.
    >>
    >> Not holding my breath, though.
    >>
    >> Phil

    > Its seems strange that a feature that is readily accessibly by Mail,
    > Eudora, and Entourage on Acrobat refuse to work with Mozilla products.
    > What's different about those products?
    > at one time the news groups for Acrobat the folks said that Mozilla
    > products were not mbox compatible.
    > And looks like Mac's would be even more so since they use UNIX as
    > underlying system and UNIX is where the mbox standard came from.
    >
    > In doing a wikipedia search of MAPI the article stated That MS does
    > license the MAI Technology.

    Tbird is an mbox compliant client. With an add-on an mbox file from any
    other system can be mounted and read. This is the extension tool I know
    of:

    Mozilla does have a MAPI support file, but it's for a basic level. My
    understanding is the full MS MAPI API has to be licensed.

    --
    Ron K.

  7. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Phil Randal wrote:
    >> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >>> A subject came up in the Microsoft Office Mac Forums concerning send
    >>> office items direct by email through those programs.
    >>>
    >>> Some people on the forums say that Mozilla products don't support
    >>> MAPI. And That mozilla has been promising for years support of MAPI
    >>> in all there products. But haven't.
    >>>
    >>> Any hope, and reasons why not?
    >>>
    >>> This would also fix a problem with the ability of Adobe acrobat to
    >>> allow only Mail and anything but Mozilla Products to share PDF's
    >>> for commenting and changing and sending back or emailing PDF's
    >>> directly within acrobat.
    >>>
    >>> What are the stumbling blocks I've wonder for years why only limits
    >>> applications allowed such abilities and not Mozilla products.

    >> Proprietary software. Isn't it a bind.
    >>
    >> Ask not why T-Bird doesn't support MAPI, ask why Adobe doesn't allow
    >> emailing via SMTP.
    >>
    >> And as for editing PDF files, well, I live in hope that one day
    >> OpenOffice will be able to do that.
    >>
    >> Not holding my breath, though.
    >>
    >> Phil

    > Its seems strange that a feature that is readily accessibly by Mail,
    > Eudora, and Entourage on Acrobat refuse to work with Mozilla products.
    > What's different about those products?

    What exact feature is that? And really why should we care if any product
    supports directly another product. It's my understanding that Acrobat
    can produce PDF files. PDF files can be emailed! For example, I've
    emailed them and received them. Haven't you? Do I really care that
    Acrobat the application itself supports it in a menu? Not really. It'd
    be nice if they did and it'd be nice if they didn't only do so via a
    proprietary mechanism.
    > at one time the news groups for Acrobat the folks said that Mozilla
    > products were not mbox compatible.

    Huh? Mozilla products (and Netscape products from whence they came)
    always used mbox mail folders. Just open on up and look at it if you
    don't believe me. Methinks they were either ignorant or was really
    saying something else.
    > And looks like Mac's would be even more so since they use UNIX as
    > underlying system and UNIX is where the mbox standard came from.

    As where Netscape, the predecessor of Mozilla came from.
    > In doing a wikipedia search of MAPI the article stated That MS does
    > license the MAI Technology.

    Gee gotta get myself a hold of this "MAI Technology"! ;-)

    We know that TB uses mbox formatted mail folders. We know that TB
    "indexes" and puts other extended information about messages in a .msf
    file corresponding with mbox formated folder. Mozilla was wise to leave
    the folder file itself standard.

    Now let's contrast that with MS/MAPI and Outlook. We know that Outlook
    uses these .pst files. What's the format of those again? I keep
    forgetting! Ah yes
    http://www.mailnavigator.com/reading...st_files.html:

    MS Outlook PST file format

    The format of *MS Outlook* mail archives (**.pst*) is protected by
    Microsoft. Therefore, in MailNavigator, **.pst files* can be
    accessed only indirectly, with the help of Outlook-OLE. In effect, a
    search of messages in Outlook folders is achieved by Outlook's own
    resources.

    leading to the natural question of "Where exactly is 'Outlook's own
    resources' on say a Gentoo or Ubuntu system?".

    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Southern DOS: Y'all reckon? (Yep/Nope)

  8. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    plb2862 keyboarded, On 4/26/2008 1:27 PM :
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> A subject came up in the Microsoft Office Mac Forums concerning send
    >> office items direct by email through those programs.
    >>
    >> Some people on the forums say that Mozilla products don't support
    >> MAPI. And That mozilla has been promising for years support of MAPI
    >> in all there products. But haven't.
    >>
    >> Any hope, and reasons why not?
    >>
    >> This would also fix a problem with the ability of Adobe acrobat to
    >> allow only Mail and anything but Mozilla Products to share PDF's for
    >> commenting and changing and sending back or emailing PDF's directly
    >> within acrobat.
    >>
    >> What are the stumbling blocks I've wonder for years why only limits
    >> applications allowed such abilities and not Mozilla products.

    > I know you can set up an IMAP email account however, I could only get
    > TB to only take one SMTP server for outgoing. I have two pop3 and one
    > MAPI account. Consequently I could down load my work emails and other
    > pop3 account but my pop3 responses would go through the one SMTP and
    > the MAPI account doesn't like it - it won't send responses.
    >
    > My Org's email account wouldn't like responses going through it's SMTP
    > from my personal pop3 accounts. So, I found it better to use the Org's
    > webmail access instead of setting up the IMAP account.

    Tb does permit setting up more than one SMTP server in the Account
    Settings. Then in the settings for each Mail account You have a
    configuration option of which SMTP server that account is supposed to
    use.That selector is a drop down in the right side pane when you select
    the top level of an account in the left pane.

    --
    Ron K.

  9. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    plb2862 wrote:
    > I know you can set up an IMAP email account however, I could only get
    > TB to only take one SMTP server for outgoing.

    You can configure more than one through Tools: Options: Outgoing Server
    (SMTP): Add. You then designate one of them as the default. Then, on
    each Tools: Account Settings account, you can designate which Outgoing
    SMTP server you wish to use.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    And whose cruel idea was it to put an S in the word Lisp?

  10. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Nir keyboarded, On 4/26/2008 1:33 PM :
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T said the following On 04/26/2008 09:20 PM:
    >> A subject came up in the Microsoft Office Mac Forums concerning send
    >> office items direct by email through those programs.
    >>
    >> Some people on the forums say that Mozilla products don't support MAPI.
    >> And That mozilla has been promising for years support of MAPI in all
    >> there products. But haven't.
    >>
    >> Any hope, and reasons why not?
    >>
    >> This would also fix a problem with the ability of Adobe acrobat to allow
    >> only Mail and anything but Mozilla Products to share PDF's for
    >> commenting and changing and sending back or emailing PDF's directly
    >> within acrobat.
    >>
    >> What are the stumbling blocks I've wonder for years why only limits
    >> applications allowed such abilities and not Mozilla products.

    > Take a look to this article "http://kb.mozillazine.org/MAPI_Support"

    A good read and I took some followup action to nominate the linked bugs
    as Wanted for Tb3. So we will see.

    --
    Ron K.

  11. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    > In doing a wikipedia search of MAPI the article stated That MS does
    > license the MAI Technology.

    Licensing is, exactly, the problem.

    TB is an *open-source* project.

    MS simply will *not* license their technology in a way that is
    compatible with most, if not all, open-source licenses.

    --
    Alex K.

  12. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Nir wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T said the following On 04/26/2008 09:20 PM:
    >> A subject came up in the Microsoft Office Mac Forums concerning send
    >> office items direct by email through those programs.
    >>
    >> Some people on the forums say that Mozilla products don't support MAPI.
    >> And That mozilla has been promising for years support of MAPI in all
    >> there products. But haven't.
    >>
    >> Any hope, and reasons why not?
    >>
    >> This would also fix a problem with the ability of Adobe acrobat to allow
    >> only Mail and anything but Mozilla Products to share PDF's for
    >> commenting and changing and sending back or emailing PDF's directly
    >> within acrobat.
    >>
    >> What are the stumbling blocks I've wonder for years why only limits
    >> applications allowed such abilities and not Mozilla products.

    > Take a look to this article "http://kb.mozillazine.org/MAPI_Support"

    So that's why Adobe acrobat and MS Office doesn't accept Mozilla
    products to email through the application.

    Well that kills greatly my ability to use some features I could use in
    Acrobat. When is Mozilla going to get their act together fix the bugs?

    On Mac's we only have limited choices. Eudora, Entourage, and Mail, all
    I'd rather take a bottle of Cod Liver oil than use.

    And yet my favorite applications of choice are useless in this respect.

  13. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> Phil Randal wrote:

    >>> Proprietary software. Isn't it a bind.
    >>>
    >>> Ask not why T-Bird doesn't support MAPI, ask why Adobe doesn't allow
    >>> emailing via SMTP.
    >>>
    >>> And as for editing PDF files, well, I live in hope that one day
    >>> OpenOffice will be able to do that.
    >>>
    >>> Not holding my breath, though.
    >>>
    >>> Phil

    >> Its seems strange that a feature that is readily accessibly by Mail,
    >> Eudora, and Entourage on Acrobat refuse to work with Mozilla products.
    >> What's different about those products?

    > What exact feature is that? And really why should we care if any product
    > supports directly another product. It's my understanding that Acrobat
    > can produce PDF files. PDF files can be emailed! For example, I've
    > emailed them and received them. Haven't you? Do I really care that
    > Acrobat the application itself supports it in a menu? Not really. It'd
    > be nice if they did and it'd be nice if they didn't only do so via a
    > proprietary mechanism.
    >> at one time the news groups for Acrobat the folks said that Mozilla
    >> products were not mbox compatible.

    > Huh? Mozilla products (and Netscape products from whence they came)
    > always used mbox mail folders. Just open on up and look at it if you
    > don't believe me. Methinks they were either ignorant or was really
    > saying something else.
    >> And looks like Mac's would be even more so since they use UNIX as
    >> underlying system and UNIX is where the mbox standard came from.

    > As where Netscape, the predecessor of Mozilla came from.
    >> In doing a wikipedia search of MAPI the article stated That MS does
    >> license the MAI Technology.

    > Gee gotta get myself a hold of this "MAI Technology"! ;-)
    >
    > We know that TB uses mbox formatted mail folders. We know that TB
    > "indexes" and puts other extended information about messages in a .msf
    > file corresponding with mbox formated folder. Mozilla was wise to leave
    > the folder file itself standard.
    >
    > Now let's contrast that with MS/MAPI and Outlook. We know that Outlook
    > uses these .pst files. What's the format of those again? I keep
    > forgetting! Ah yes
    > http://www.mailnavigator.com/reading...st_files.html:
    >

    > MS Outlook PST file format
    >
    > The format of *MS Outlook* mail archives (**.pst*) is protected by
    > Microsoft. Therefore, in MailNavigator, **.pst files* can be
    > accessed only indirectly, with the help of Outlook-OLE. In effect, a
    > search of messages in Outlook folders is achieved by Outlook's own
    > resources.
    >
    > leading to the natural question of "Where exactly is 'Outlook's own
    > resources' on say a Gentoo or Ubuntu system?".
    >
    > --
    > Andrew DeFaria
    > Southern DOS: Y'all reckon? (Yep/Nope)

    The features I refer to in Acrobat and also applies to Office Mac
    applications is the ability to email a file directly within the application.

    The second is exclusive to Acrobat send for review and commenting
    neither email based review nor web based review work with Acrobat Mac
    (7/8) and any Mozilla products. web based review doesn't use SM or FF
    email Based review it What I would use. doesn't accept any Mozilla
    products.

  14. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Alex K. wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >
    >> In doing a wikipedia search of MAPI the article stated That MS does
    >> license the MAI Technology.

    > Licensing is, exactly, the problem.
    >
    > TB is an *open-source* project.
    >
    > MS simply will *not* license their technology in a way that is
    > compatible with most, if not all, open-source licenses.

    The license version is the extended version that lets you converse th
    outlook system.

    The non extended version is open source and anyone can use. IT simply is
    supposed to allow any application to send emails directly from that
    application.

    You click Send as email... and if TB or SeaMonkey are set as your email
    client of choice. It would then open up TB or SM to the email send an
    open ready to create email file in address type a few sentences for
    explanation. click send. Bang it sent and your ready to move on. You
    can't do it with Mozilla products. in a previous thread to day reading
    an article about it is that the current MAPI code Mozilla has created is
    buggy. (It sounds like no one knows how to fix or is uninterested in
    fixing.)

  15. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > So that's why Adobe acrobat and MS Office doesn't accept Mozilla
    > products to email through the application.
    >
    > Well that kills greatly my ability to use some features I could use in
    > Acrobat.

    OK, please list the great features (note the "s" indicating many). that
    are killed? Perhaps I don't understand Acrobat and it's integration with
    email. Seems to me Acrobat is a reader of PDFs. In the full version it's
    also a producer of PDFs. Where does email come into the picture?

    From my understanding email comes into the picture because you want to
    email a PDF. Forgive me for my ignorance because just like 1000 other
    applications that produce files that you might want to email but who
    lack some sort of integration, can't you just save the damn file then
    attach the file to an email like you would with the other 999
    applications? Granted it might be a smidgen easier to have a drop down
    menu to email the currently opened file but having to save the file and
    email it separately seems to be a perfectly acceptable way to work for
    the other 999 applications! In any event I would not describe such
    "hardship" as "killing your ability"!!!
    > When is Mozilla going to get their act together fix the bugs?

    Name the bug that needs fixing? It's been described to you - MS licenses
    their proprietary solution. Open source's license requires that the
    source is available. MS won't allow a license that exposes their source.
    Where in all of this do you see a bug?
    > On Mac's we only have limited choices. Eudora, Entourage, and Mail,
    > all I'd rather take a bottle of Cod Liver oil than use.

    You have as many limited choices as any other Unix derived OS. IOW
    you're as limited as Linux, HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, et. al.
    > And yet my favorite applications of choice are useless in this respect.

    You sir have a very odd definition of useless! If something is mildly
    clumsy then to you this is useless?

    In another post you confirm my suspicions - the "feature" is the ability
    to email a file from the application itself. Big ****. Email it
    separately. Now I realize this might cause you to have to gain an
    understanding of things like file systems and how to locate where you
    are putting this file and how to attach it to an email. Gee that really
    sucks.... Give me a break!

    I'd hate to ask you to explain this "web based review" process given
    your disingenuous description of TB "killing" your ability to use
    Acrobat merely because you cannot use the built in email integration.
    Suffice to say I don't care to learn.

    Adobe chose to use a proprietary protocol called MAPI - go argue with them!
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more. -

  16. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> So that's why Adobe acrobat and MS Office doesn't accept Mozilla
    >> products to email through the application.
    >>
    >> Well that kills greatly my ability to use some features I could use in
    >> Acrobat.

    > OK, please list the great features (note the "s" indicating many). that
    > are killed? Perhaps I don't understand Acrobat and it's integration with
    > email. Seems to me Acrobat is a reader of PDFs. In the full version it's
    > also a producer of PDFs. Where does email come into the picture?
    >
    > From my understanding email comes into the picture because you want to
    > email a PDF. Forgive me for my ignorance because just like 1000 other
    > applications that produce files that you might want to email but who
    > lack some sort of integration, can't you just save the damn file then
    > attach the file to an email like you would with the other 999
    > applications? Granted it might be a smidgen easier to have a drop down
    > menu to email the currently opened file but having to save the file and
    > email it separately seems to be a perfectly acceptable way to work for
    > the other 999 applications! In any event I would not describe such
    > "hardship" as "killing your ability"!!!
    >> When is Mozilla going to get their act together fix the bugs?

    > Name the bug that needs fixing? It's been described to you - MS licenses
    > their proprietary solution. Open source's license requires that the
    > source is available. MS won't allow a license that exposes their source.
    > Where in all of this do you see a bug?
    >> On Mac's we only have limited choices. Eudora, Entourage, and Mail,
    >> all I'd rather take a bottle of Cod Liver oil than use.

    > You have as many limited choices as any other Unix derived OS. IOW
    > you're as limited as Linux, HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, et. al.
    >> And yet my favorite applications of choice are useless in this respect.

    > You sir have a very odd definition of useless! If something is mildly
    > clumsy then to you this is useless?
    >
    > In another post you confirm my suspicions - the "feature" is the ability
    > to email a file from the application itself. Big ****. Email it
    > separately. Now I realize this might cause you to have to gain an
    > understanding of things like file systems and how to locate where you
    > are putting this file and how to attach it to an email. Gee that really
    > sucks.... Give me a break!
    >
    > I'd hate to ask you to explain this "web based review" process given
    > your disingenuous description of TB "killing" your ability to use
    > Acrobat merely because you cannot use the built in email integration.
    > Suffice to say I don't care to learn.
    >
    > Adobe chose to use a proprietary protocol called MAPI - go argue with them!
    > --
    > Andrew DeFaria
    > Don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more. -
    > John Prine

    Obviously you haven't used Acrobat. It quite convenient to send Pdfs'
    directly for review and commenting. supposedly the way its supposed to
    work your working on a PDF as a Group. You send pdf with your changes
    they receive it either make comments or make changes and send back.

    Well as I said I am not interested in logging on to and Outlook system.
    I only want to be able to send files directly as soon as finished.

    according to the article read in the posted link the bugs in the MAPI
    code within Mozilla products are mozilla fault. now whether they are
    inclined to fix it or not that's Mozilla call. But I would think they
    would want surpass , Mail, Eudora, or even Entourage and email reader of
    choice.

    But then again the past announcement that Mozilla is putting all their
    eggs in the firefox basket; who know they may not be interested fixing it.

    Maybe they decided they done all they are interested in doing to TB

  17. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Obviously you haven't used Acrobat. It quite convenient to send Pdfs'
    > directly for review and commenting. supposedly the way its supposed to
    > work your working on a PDF as a Group. You send pdf with your changes
    > they receive it either make comments or make changes and send back.

    It's not required that I use Acrobat to understand what's going on here
    (unless, of course, you're leaving out other technical details). Acrobat
    produces PDFs. PDFs are nothing more than yet another file in the file
    system. Assuming you produce foo.pdf in say /tmp, what then stops you
    from starting a TB compose window then attaching /tmp/foo.pdf for "review"?

    (Please remember that to date you've only mentioned sending, not
    receiving emails directly in Acrobat).
    > Well as I said I am not interested in logging on to and Outlook
    > system. I only want to be able to send files directly as soon as
    > finished.

    See above. In Acrobat do File: Save. In TB Compose do File: Attach:
    File. Problem solved. But my guess is that you really aren't interested
    in solving your problem...
    > according to the article read in the posted link the bugs in the MAPI
    > code within Mozilla products are mozilla fault. now whether they are
    > inclined to fix it or not that's Mozilla call. But I would think they
    > would want surpass , Mail, Eudora, or even Entourage and email reader
    > of choice.

    I'm not sure what article you refer to, nor do I care really. I was
    merely pointing out to you that nothing you complained about killed your
    ability to send an email with a PDF file. Indeed I send emails with PDFs
    and I don't even have Acrobat installed! There is a way to do it. It's,
    unfortunately, not integrated into your Acrobat.
    > But then again the past announcement that Mozilla is putting all their
    > eggs in the firefox basket; who know they may not be interested fixing
    > it.

    Why don't cha ask old Adobe there why they don't support SMTP? I mean
    SMTP is standard and works on those "rogue" OSes like Unix/Linux and the
    Mac whereas MAPI doesn't. And guess what? SMTP also works on Windows. So
    then it works everywhere. Why then did Adobe choose to limit themselves
    to a proprietary, you gotta license this and invent code protocol named
    MAPI?
    > Maybe they decided they done all they are interested in doing to TB

    Maybe they decided that your silly assed complaint is not that damn
    important...
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    5 days a week my body is a temple. The other two, it's an amusement park.

  18. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> Obviously you haven't used Acrobat. It quite convenient to send Pdfs'
    >> directly for review and commenting. supposedly the way its supposed to
    >> work your working on a PDF as a Group. You send pdf with your changes
    >> they receive it either make comments or make changes and send back.

    > It's not required that I use Acrobat to understand what's going on here
    > (unless, of course, you're leaving out other technical details). Acrobat
    > produces PDFs. PDFs are nothing more than yet another file in the file
    > system. Assuming you produce foo.pdf in say /tmp, what then stops you
    > from starting a TB compose window then attaching /tmp/foo.pdf for "review"?
    >
    > (Please remember that to date you've only mentioned sending, not
    > receiving emails directly in Acrobat).
    >> Well as I said I am not interested in logging on to and Outlook
    >> system. I only want to be able to send files directly as soon as
    >> finished.

    > See above. In Acrobat do File: Save. In TB Compose do File: Attach:
    > File. Problem solved. But my guess is that you really aren't interested
    > in solving your problem...
    >> according to the article read in the posted link the bugs in the MAPI
    >> code within Mozilla products are mozilla fault. now whether they are
    >> inclined to fix it or not that's Mozilla call. But I would think they
    >> would want surpass , Mail, Eudora, or even Entourage and email reader
    >> of choice.

    > I'm not sure what article you refer to, nor do I care really. I was
    > merely pointing out to you that nothing you complained about killed your
    > ability to send an email with a PDF file. Indeed I send emails with PDFs
    > and I don't even have Acrobat installed! There is a way to do it. It's,
    > unfortunately, not integrated into your Acrobat.
    >> But then again the past announcement that Mozilla is putting all their
    >> eggs in the firefox basket; who know they may not be interested fixing
    >> it.

    > Why don't cha ask old Adobe there why they don't support SMTP? I mean
    > SMTP is standard and works on those "rogue" OSes like Unix/Linux and the
    > Mac whereas MAPI doesn't. And guess what? SMTP also works on Windows. So
    > then it works everywhere. Why then did Adobe choose to limit themselves
    > to a proprietary, you gotta license this and invent code protocol named
    > MAPI?
    >> Maybe they decided they done all they are interested in doing to TB

    > Maybe they decided that your silly assed complaint is not that damn
    > important...
    > --
    > Andrew DeFaria
    > 5 days a week my body is a temple. The other two, it's an amusement park.

    I haven't posted a bug in bugzilla *yet*. I was asking a decent question
    to see if any of the folks if , and why the problem and when a fix was
    in the works.

    Someone has already put a request for support in version three. And I
    receive a link to a page that explains the why.

    So I don't care what any one says that all they are interested in
    putting down individuals just for fun.

  19. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    On 27.04.2008 11:19, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> [...]

    > work your working on a PDF as a Group. You send pdf with your changes
    > they receive it either make comments or make changes and send back.
    >
    > Well as I said I am not interested in logging on to and Outlook system.
    > I only want to be able to send files directly as soon as finished.
    >
    > according to the article read in the posted link the bugs in the MAPI
    > code within Mozilla products are mozilla fault. now whether they are
    > inclined to fix it or not that's Mozilla call. But I would think they
    > would want surpass , Mail, Eudora, or even Entourage and email reader of
    > choice.
    >
    > But then again the past announcement that Mozilla is putting all their
    > eggs in the firefox basket; who know they may not be interested fixing it.
    >
    > Maybe they decided they done all they are interested in doing to TB

    Phillip ...

    I use Acrobat almost daily. When I want to send a PDF file, I do File =>
    Attach to Email in Acrobat and TB comes up with the file attached, etc.
    So, what is YOUR problem here?

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  20. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > I haven't posted a bug in bugzilla *yet*. I was asking a decent
    > question to see if any of the folks if , and why the problem and when
    > a fix was in the works.
    >
    > Someone has already put a request for support in version three. And I
    > receive a link to a page that explains the why.
    >
    > So I don't care what any one says that all they are interested in
    > putting down individuals just for fun.

    Well maybe people wouldn't think less of you if you took a moment to
    answer their questions instead of rudely ignoring them multiple times
    now. I asked like 3 times. You continue to evade the question. I'll ask
    one more time: What then stops you from starting a TB compose window
    then attaching /tmp/foo.pdf for "review"?

    My suspicion is the real answer is "Ah... well... ahem... nothing" -
    which means you already have a work around to your problem. I for one
    would prefer that Mozilla people work on problems without workarounds
    first. But again, you weren't looking for an answer to your problem. You
    were just looking to complain. Your action of ignoring the workaround
    says that.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Car service: If it ain't broke, we'll break it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast