Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability - Mozilla ; Jay Garcia wrote: > On 27.04.2008 11:19, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote: > > --- Original Message --- > >> Andrew DeFaria wrote: >>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote: >>>> So that's why Adobe acrobat and MS Office doesn't accept ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 27.04.2008 11:19, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    It doesn't work on Macintosh.

    In fact the only email applications listed for Mac are:
    Eudora
    Mail
    Entourage

    Neither SeaMonkey, nor Thunderbird is list or can be chosen in Acrobat
    preferences.

    This is both in OSX.4.11 with Acrobat 8
    or, OSX.3.9 with Acrobat 7.

    At one time The acrobat Mac Forum said Mozilla products were not mbox
    compatible.

  2. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> I haven't posted a bug in bugzilla *yet*. I was asking a decent
    >> question to see if any of the folks if , and why the problem and when
    >> a fix was in the works.
    >>
    >> Someone has already put a request for support in version three. And I
    >> receive a link to a page that explains the why.
    >>
    >> So I don't care what any one says that all they are interested in
    >> putting down individuals just for fun.

    > Well maybe people wouldn't think less of you if you took a moment to
    > answer their questions instead of rudely ignoring them multiple times
    > now. I asked like 3 times. You continue to evade the question. I'll ask
    > one more time: What then stops you from starting a TB compose window
    > then attaching /tmp/foo.pdf for "review"?
    >
    > My suspicion is the real answer is "Ah... well... ahem... nothing" -
    > which means you already have a work around to your problem. I for one
    > would prefer that Mozilla people work on problems without workarounds
    > first. But again, you weren't looking for an answer to your problem. You
    > were just looking to complain. Your action of ignoring the workaround
    > says that.
    > --
    > Andrew DeFaria
    > Car service: If it ain't broke, we'll break it.

    First the suggestion above, about /tmp/foo.pdf/ I was unaware and not
    sure that works on Mac platform. I'll have to see if I can try that.

    and two if you will re-examine my original post although it appeared
    like a Complaint. It was a question.

    It was brought up because of a Post I read on the msnews s Office Mac
    Word news group where the original poster asked why he couldn't use TB
    to email a word document directly from Word. The Expert responded
    because Mozilla products are not MAPI compatible.

    It was not in reference to the deluxe version which allows connecting to
    a Outlook system But the lesser (non licensed version) that allows
    application to email directly from within that application (calls up a
    helper application that actually does the sending).

    So my apologies if I offended you in anyway.

  3. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    The date and time was 4/28/2008 9:00 AM, and on a whim, Phillip M.
    Jones, C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >>> I haven't posted a bug in bugzilla *yet*. I was asking a decent
    >>> question to see if any of the folks if , and why the problem and when
    >>> a fix was in the works.
    >>>
    >>> Someone has already put a request for support in version three. And I
    >>> receive a link to a page that explains the why.
    >>>
    >>> So I don't care what any one says that all they are interested in
    >>> putting down individuals just for fun.

    >> Well maybe people wouldn't think less of you if you took a moment to
    >> answer their questions instead of rudely ignoring them multiple times
    >> now. I asked like 3 times. You continue to evade the question. I'll ask
    >> one more time: What then stops you from starting a TB compose window
    >> then attaching /tmp/foo.pdf for "review"?
    >>
    >> My suspicion is the real answer is "Ah... well... ahem... nothing" -
    >> which means you already have a work around to your problem. I for one
    >> would prefer that Mozilla people work on problems without workarounds
    >> first. But again, you weren't looking for an answer to your problem. You
    >> were just looking to complain. Your action of ignoring the workaround
    >> says that.
    >> --
    >> Andrew DeFaria
    >> Car service: If it ain't broke, we'll break it.

    > First the suggestion above, about /tmp/foo.pdf/ I was unaware and not
    > sure that works on Mac platform. I'll have to see if I can try that.
    >
    > and two if you will re-examine my original post although it appeared
    > like a Complaint. It was a question.
    >
    > It was brought up because of a Post I read on the msnews s Office Mac
    > Word news group where the original poster asked why he couldn't use TB
    > to email a word document directly from Word. The Expert responded
    > because Mozilla products are not MAPI compatible.
    >
    > It was not in reference to the deluxe version which allows connecting to
    > a Outlook system But the lesser (non licensed version) that allows
    > application to email directly from within that application (calls up a
    > helper application that actually does the sending).
    >
    > So my apologies if I offended you in anyway.

    From what I remember, NS 4.xx was MAPI compliant (wasn't it?), because
    NS would place it's own copy of mapi.dll into the system32 folder. And
    if I'm not mistaken, Windows or possibly MS Office w/Outlook would
    overwrite that file, so it was a constant battle to have NS work with
    MAPI. I remember having to change the files from time to time.

    But when System File Check and System File Protection were implemented,
    it possibly became a lost battle because you should only have one MAPI
    module in place (I believe), and trying to replace the files needed
    would be futile because SFC would replace the files as soon as they were
    changed. It's probably much more complicated than that now, but the
    basics are most likely the same.

    Kind of like the icon showing in my Start Menu that shows Outlook as my
    "Email" even though TB is set as the default. TB doesn't check "each
    time" as it's supposed to and that icon remains there even though it's
    not correct. I know what my "default" is so I don't bother changing it
    any more, because the next OL update will just change it back again.

    --
    Terry R.

  4. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    The date and time was 4/28/2008 8:49 AM, and on a whim, Phillip M.
    Jones, C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 27.04.2008 11:19, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    Are you stating your versions correctly? 4.11 & 3.9? If Leopard is
    10.5, you're WAY behind. It probably works in the newer versions.

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    On 28.04.2008 11:00, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    > First the suggestion above, about /tmp/foo.pdf I was unaware and not
    > sure that works on Mac platform. I'll have to see if I can try that.

    Phillip, are you speaking of emailing "foo.pdf" directly from Acrobat
    instead of bringing up a compose window and THEN attaching the file? The
    former should work no matter the platform. And of course you *know* how
    to *attach* a file in the compose window, don't you? :-)

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  6. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 28.04.2008 11:00, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    I know how to attach a file to an email. I am not that dense.

    What I am referring to is open: Acrobat either create or work on a PDF.

    From File menu there is a command Send file for review....

    click on that and there is choices:

    Send by email for review
    Upload for Browser based review.

    Neither work with SeaMonkey nor Thunderbird.

    The reason stated by acrobat is that Mozilla products are not mbox
    compatible.

    On MS Office Mac applications

    File menu >

    Send To...

    Mail recipient as Attachment.

    the reason stated on MS newsgroups is that Mozilla products are not mapi
    (MAPI) compatible.

    Non of this works on the Mac Platform.

    Information stated previous by a link given early in this thread say
    That Mozilla's mapi compatibility is buggy.

    And despites Andrew's posts trying to imply I'm a idiot or a dumb ass; I
    am not. I'm not a computer programmer. Nor even what you call a an
    expert user despite my using Mac as long a they've been on the market.
    My aim was to get work done not how to rewrite the OS. As long as the
    software and hardware allow me to do what I want, that's all that matters.

  7. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 4/28/2008 8:49 AM, and on a whim, Phillip M.
    > Jones, C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>> On 27.04.2008 11:19, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    OSX.5 is suited more for Intel Mac's and there have been issues with
    both Acrobat and MS-Office products especially Office2008 in X.5 apple
    needs to address some problems created in the X.5.2 update. Until they
    get the kinks out I am waiting. My G4-500 Tower won't even run X.5 not
    enough Processor power.

    I can install on my PB17" 1.67GB with little problem. I don't know that
    moving to X.5 would cure mbox compatibility and mapi compatibility in
    Mozilla. since for adobe products they do recommend Mail. As well as in
    Adobe recommends Mail.

  8. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    On 29.04.2008 15:48, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    > I know how to attach a file to an email. I am not that dense.

    That's what I figured, but I was just clarifying a point in context.

    > What I am referring to is open: Acrobat either create or work on a PDF.

    Also what I figured.

    > From File menu there is a command Send file for review....

    Yup, same here in the Windows version - XP-Pro

    > click on that and there is choices:
    >
    > Send by email for review
    > Upload for Browser based review.

    Same here.

    > Neither work with SeaMonkey nor Thunderbird.

    Both do here.

    > The reason stated by acrobat is that Mozilla products are not mbox
    > compatible.

    They are. And they should be with OS-X as mbox is a *nix format.

    > On MS Office Mac applications
    >
    > File menu >
    >
    > Send To...
    >
    > Mail recipient as Attachment.
    >
    > the reason stated on MS newsgroups is that Mozilla products are not mapi
    > (MAPI) compatible.
    >
    > Non of this works on the Mac Platform.

    Someone else with Mac capability will have to confirm. Haven't seen Lee
    in over a week now.

    > And despites Andrew's posts trying to imply I'm a idiot or a dumb ass; I
    > am not.

    Those of us that have known you for a very long time know that you're
    neither. You have to consider the source of the comment(s).

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  9. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 29.04.2008 15:48, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    If you can do it on PC (or Unix/Linux platform). It would seem that Mac
    Mozilla products then have the deficiency? I don't know.

    >> And despites Andrew's posts trying to imply I'm a idiot or a dumb ass; I
    >> am not.

    > Those of us that have known you for a very long time know that you're
    > neither. You have to consider the source of the comment(s).

    Yes It seems I would.

  10. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > I know how to attach a file to an email. I am not that dense.

    So then you have a workaround and my suspicion was true - you can email
    it, you just want an individual application to support it in its menu.
    It's that application's maker that you have a problem with - not TB. In
    fact, even MS Office, which uses MAPI, can do File: Sent To: Mail
    Recipient as attachment or for review. Your problem sir lies with Adobe
    and not Mozilla!
    > What I am referring to is open: Acrobat either create or work on a PDF.
    >
    > From File menu there is a command Send file for review....
    >
    > click on that and there is choices:
    >
    > Send by email for review
    > Upload for Browser based review.
    >
    > Neither work with SeaMonkey nor Thunderbird.
    >
    > The reason stated by acrobat is that Mozilla products are not mbox
    > compatible.

    But as you've been told before that's a bold faced lie! It's also
    apparently not true that it's a problem with MAPI.
    > On MS Office Mac applications
    >
    > File menu >
    >
    > Send To...
    >
    > Mail recipient as Attachment.
    >
    > the reason stated on MS newsgroups is that Mozilla products are not
    > mapi (MAPI) compatible.

    Funny, I just did it on MS Office on XP.
    > Non of this works on the Mac Platform.
    >
    > Information stated previous by a link given early in this thread say
    > That Mozilla's mapi compatibility is buggy.

    Again, it works on Windows. Maybe it's the Mac then...
    > And despites Andrew's posts trying to imply I'm a idiot or a dumb ass;

    I was not trying to *imply* - I was and am directly calling you one.
    You're evasive. You were asked directly and you choose not to answer.
    You were told how it works as I've just done so again here but you
    insist what? That I'm lying to you? You insist on blaming things (i.e.
    mail folders are not mbox compliant) that you've been told are not true.
    Just check out your mail folder files themselves. That'd tell you they
    are mboxes. But no, you gotta keep claiming that they aren't went you've
    been told repeatedly that they are and you could have verified that
    yourself!
    > I am not. I'm not a computer programmer. Nor even what you call a an
    > expert user despite my using Mac as long a they've been on the market.

    Using a Mac in no way is qualification that you are an expert in and of
    itself.
    > My aim was to get work done not how to rewrite the OS. As long as the
    > software and hardware allow me to do what I want, that's all that
    > matters.

    You already have a method of getting your work done. Bring up a TB
    Compose window and attach the damn PDF. Your real beef is that you can't
    do it with a menu pick, because Adobe screwed it up. You really should
    direct your complaints to them. Mozilla is not gonna work on making mail
    folders mbox complaint because they are already. Nor will they be
    changing MAPI to support mailing things as attachments because it
    already does that. You're chasing windmills and to proud apparently to
    admit that you are.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

  11. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> I know how to attach a file to an email. I am not that dense.

    > So then you have a workaround and my suspicion was true - you can
    > email it, you just want an individual application to support it in
    > its menu. It's that application's maker that you have a problem with
    > - not TB. In fact, even MS Office, which uses MAPI, can do File:
    > Sent To: Mail Recipient as attachment or for review. Your problem sir
    > lies with Adobe and not Mozilla!
    >> What I am referring to is open: Acrobat either create or work on a
    >> PDF.
    >>
    >> From File menu there is a command Send file for review....
    >>
    >> click on that and there is choices:
    >>
    >> Send by email for review Upload for Browser based review.
    >>
    >> Neither work with SeaMonkey nor Thunderbird.
    >>
    >> The reason stated by acrobat is that Mozilla products are not mbox
    >> compatible.

    > But as you've been told before that's a bold faced lie! It's also
    > apparently not true that it's a problem with MAPI.
    >> On MS Office Mac applications
    >>
    >> File menu >
    >>
    >> Send To...
    >>
    >> Mail recipient as Attachment.
    >>
    >> the reason stated on MS newsgroups is that Mozilla products are not
    >> mapi (MAPI) compatible.

    > Funny, I just did it on MS Office on XP.
    >> Non of this works on the Mac Platform.
    >>
    >> Information stated previous by a link given early in this thread
    >> say That Mozilla's mapi compatibility is buggy.

    > Again, it works on Windows. Maybe it's the Mac then...
    >> And despites Andrew's posts trying to imply I'm a idiot or a dumb
    >> ass;

    > I was not trying to *imply* - I was and am directly calling you one.
    > You're evasive. You were asked directly and you choose not to
    > answer. You were told how it works as I've just done so again here
    > but you insist what? That I'm lying to you? You insist on blaming
    > things (i.e. mail folders are not mbox compliant) that you've been
    > told are not true. Just check out your mail folder files themselves.
    > That'd tell you they are mboxes. But no, you gotta keep claiming that
    > they aren't went you've been told repeatedly that they are and you
    > could have verified that yourself!
    >> I am not. I'm not a computer programmer. Nor even what you call a
    >> an expert user despite my using Mac as long a they've been on the
    >> market.

    > Using a Mac in no way is qualification that you are an expert in and
    > of itself.

    Never said it was. Just said I've been a Mac User since they have been
    on the market.

    >> My aim was to get work done not how to rewrite the OS. As long as
    >> the software and hardware allow me to do what I want, that's all
    >> that matters.

    > You already have a method of getting your work done. Bring up a TB
    > Compose window and attach the damn PDF. Your real beef is that you
    > can't do it with a menu pick, because Adobe screwed it up.

    That's possible. I've already complained to them. Several times

    > You really should direct your complaints to them. Mozilla is not
    > gonna work on making mail folders mbox complaint because they are
    > already.

    Adobe keeps saying its Mozilla problem despite feedback and bug request.

    > Nor will they be changing MAPI to support mailing things as
    > attachments because it already does that.

    Now this is different as there is an admission by mozilla that the mapi
    code they have is buggy as per link shown in previous part of the thread.

    If both can easily done in Thunderbird or SeaMonkey on a PC then the Mac
    version is deficient. Why shouldn't the Mac version work just as well as
    the PC.

    > You're chasing windmills and to proud apparently to admit that you
    > are. -- Andrew DeFaria Time is nature's way of
    > keeping everything from happening all at once.

    Some times tilting at windmills actually get something done if its done
    enough.

    In any event I was just asking question. and except for one person
    replies appeared to try to answer.

    And One wanted to prove his prowess at seeing if he could make a Mac
    User look like a dumb ass.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHZ, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  12. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >>> I am not. I'm not a computer programmer. Nor even what you call a an
    >>> expert user despite my using Mac as long a they've been on the market.

    >> Using a Mac in no way is qualification that you are an expert in and
    >> of itself.

    > Never said it was. Just said I've been a Mac User since they have been
    > on the market.

    You implied that you were an expert by using the word "despite". You
    were trying to imply that since you have used a Mac for so long you are
    at least close to being an expert. But you're not. Otherwise the whole
    qualification of the length of time you've been using a Mac serves
    exactly 0 purpose.
    >>> My aim was to get work done not how to rewrite the OS. As long as
    >>> the software and hardware allow me to do what I want, that's all
    >>> that matters.

    >> You already have a method of getting your work done. Bring up a TB
    >> Compose window and attach the damn PDF. Your real beef is that you
    >> can't do it with a menu pick, because Adobe screwed it up.

    > That's possible. I've already complained to them. Several times

    The point here is that the problem lies with them. You will get nowhere
    complaining here. But hey if you really wish to bang your head against
    the wall....
    >> You really should direct your complaints to them. Mozilla is not
    >> gonna work on making mail folders mbox complaint because they are
    >> already.

    > Adobe keeps saying its Mozilla problem despite feedback and bug request.

    And they've been proven false several times.
    >> Nor will they be changing MAPI to support mailing things as
    >> attachments because it already does that.

    > Now this is different as there is an admission by mozilla that the
    > mapi code they have is buggy as per link shown in previous part of the
    > thread.

    I've told you already how other applications have no problems with
    mailing attachments (i.e. MS Office). So it's proven that it can be
    done, even if mapi code is "buggy" (BTW all code is buggy in that all
    code has bugs). Given this extremely strong evidence that it works
    you're still trying to blame Mozilla. Amazing.... Stupid, pompous but
    amazing....
    > If both can easily done in Thunderbird or SeaMonkey on a PC then the
    > Mac version is deficient. Why shouldn't the Mac version work just as
    > well as the PC.

    That you'll have to ask Mr. Jobs about... I haven't a clue. I'm not even
    convinced that it doesn't work on a Mac. I believe you that it doesn't
    work on your Mac but that can easily be pilot error or a configuration
    problem.
    >> You're chasing windmills and to proud apparently to admit that you

    > Some times tilting at windmills actually get something done if its
    > done enough.

    You are 100% right. It gets you laughed at! :-P
    > In any event I was just asking question. and except for one person
    > replies appeared to try to answer.

    That's funny, I asked a question too. You never answered it. Still
    haven't. So I don't know why you are surprised that when you rudely
    ignore other people's questions they tend to treat you with less
    respect... Get used to it!
    > And One wanted to prove his prowess at seeing if he could make a Mac
    > User look like a dumb ass.

    It surely wasn't hard at all... Then again most Mac users make
    themselves appear pompous. When you did in you find that they often
    don't know 1/2 as much as they proclaim.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to continue ...

  13. Re: Does anyone know if TB/SM has MAPI capability

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    -------------------------snip-------------------------

    > And they've been proven false several times.
    >>> Nor will they be changing MAPI to support mailing things as
    >>> attachments because it already does that.

    >> Now this is different as there is an admission by mozilla that the
    >> mapi code they have is buggy as per link shown in previous part of
    >> the thread.

    > I've told you already how other applications have no problems with
    > mailing attachments (i.e. MS Office). So it's proven that it can be
    > done, even if mapi code is "buggy" (BTW all code is buggy in that all
    > code has bugs). Given this extremely strong evidence that it works
    > you're still trying to blame Mozilla. Amazing.... Stupid, pompous but
    > amazing....

    No I have two major software companies *Adobe* and *Microsoft* telling
    me, repeatedly that it so. And my use of those products it would appear so.

    If you remember OSX is UNIX Based system some variation on BSD. (With
    the advent of the Intel processors I don't know what the version is for
    all I know it might be X86.

    UNIX is where Mbox was created. so I would tend to thing OS would have
    Mbox correct. So If OSX use the correct version of mbox. and adobe uses
    the same version of mbox and mozilla products fail with acrobat. What
    does that leave. Little green men shooting Gama rays.

    Personally I think Mozilla Products are the greatest web browser, news
    readers and email clients on the Planet (who know maybe even the universe).

    and if sending something from adobe works on PC version of Mozilla
    products. where do you look.

    same arguments above for mapi in Office. It works in the PC version but
    not the Mac version. and Mozilla admits mapi code is broke. Is it the
    little green men and Gama rays again?

    >> If both can easily done in Thunderbird or SeaMonkey on a PC then
    >> the Mac version is deficient. Why shouldn't the Mac version work
    >> just as well as the PC.

    > That you'll have to ask Mr. Jobs about... I haven't a clue. I'm not
    > even convinced that it doesn't work on a Mac. I believe you that it
    > doesn't work on your Mac but that can easily be pilot error or a
    > configuration problem.
    >>> You're chasing windmills and to proud apparently to admit that
    >>> you

    >> Some times tilting at windmills actually get something done if its
    >> done enough.

    > You are 100% right. It gets you laughed at! :-P
    >> In any event I was just asking question. and except for one person
    >> replies appeared to try to answer.

    > That's funny, I asked a question too. You never answered it.

    What question that you asked, I didn't answer. I'll see if I can answer.
    If I can't answer because I don't know the answer I'll say so.