Inserted images don't transfer to reused emails - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Inserted images don't transfer to reused emails - Mozilla ; I've had this T-Bird (2.0.0.12 on XP) problem for at least a year. If I insert an image into an email (such as my business card jpeg, which I do frequently), and then later go into my Sent file and ...

  1. Inserted images don't transfer to reused emails

    I've had this T-Bird (2.0.0.12 on XP) problem for at least a year. If I
    insert an image into an email (such as my business card jpeg, which I do
    frequently), and then later go into my Sent file and reuse that email as
    new (Ctrl-E), the image shows in the new email, but won't send. I get
    an error message that questions my access to the image. Why doesn't the
    new email recognize the original source of the image (which is coming
    off the same hard disk)?

  2. Re: Inserted images don't transfer to reused emails

    Storm keyboarded, On 4/24/2008 3:49 PM :
    > I've had this T-Bird (2.0.0.12 on XP) problem for at least a year. If
    > I insert an image into an email (such as my business card jpeg, which
    > I do frequently), and then later go into my Sent file and reuse that
    > email as new (Ctrl-E), the image shows in the new email, but won't
    > send. I get an error message that questions my access to the image.
    > Why doesn't the new email recognize the original source of the image
    > (which is coming off the same hard disk)?

    You need to use the original image. What your doing is trying to
    recycle a link to a temporary copy. The message in the sent folder has
    a text encoded version of the image that was created from a temporary
    copy. Because the template folder has some different properties, it can
    retain use of an image for future edit as new operations.

    --
    Ron K.

  3. Re: Inserted images don't transfer to reused emails

    Storm pisze:
    > I've had this T-Bird (2.0.0.12 on XP) problem for at least a year. If I
    > insert an image into an email (such as my business card jpeg, which I do
    > frequently), and then later go into my Sent file and reuse that email as
    > new (Ctrl-E), the image shows in the new email, but won't send. I get
    > an error message that questions my access to the image. Why doesn't the
    > new email recognize the original source of the image (which is coming
    > off the same hard disk)?

    It is relates to a little weird internal TB security. if you use Ctrl+E,
    then all images in new mail will be linked from protocol "mailbox:", and
    because new mail document is on protocol "about:", and "mailbox:" is not
    trusted you get no images. To fix this, you may make "mailbox:" more
    trusted, by using "about:config" window, and adding new preference:

    network.protocol-handler.expose.mailbox

    with value "true". This will help you a little, you should be able to
    save or send this mail with images at least once.

    But much better solution is my extension called "Stationery"
    https://addons.mozilla.org/pl/thunderbird/addon/4394
    I write this extension because i needed easy and fast way to send
    company mails with some pre-filled data.

    "Stationery" extension allow you to use HTML file as template for mail
    (new, reply or forward). In my templates, i have company logo,
    signature, contact data, typical greeting and security disclaimer.
    It is easy and convenient way to send company mails.

    Instead of using Ctrl-E, you just start new mail, or reply, and Template
    will be automatically loaded into composer. Extension also fixes some
    small "inconveniences", and allow you to edit raw HTML mail source.

    If you need help with extension or making template, mail me (removing
    underscores and BIG letters from my email).

    --
    Arivald

  4. Re: Inserted images don't transfer to reused emails

    Arivald wrote:
    > Storm pisze:
    >> I've had this T-Bird (2.0.0.12 on XP) problem for at least a year. If
    >> I insert an image into an email (such as my business card jpeg, which
    >> I do frequently), and then later go into my Sent file and reuse that
    >> email as new (Ctrl-E), the image shows in the new email, but won't
    >> send. I get an error message that questions my access to the image.
    >> Why doesn't the new email recognize the original source of the image
    >> (which is coming off the same hard disk)?

    > It is relates to a little weird internal TB security. if you use Ctrl+E,
    > then all images in new mail will be linked from protocol "mailbox:", and
    > because new mail document is on protocol "about:", and "mailbox:" is not
    > trusted you get no images. To fix this, you may make "mailbox:" more
    > trusted, by using "about:config" window, and adding new preference:
    >
    > network.protocol-handler.expose.mailbox
    >
    > with value "true". This will help you a little, you should be able to
    > save or send this mail with images at least once.
    >

    > But much better solution is my extension called "Stationery"
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/pl/thunderbird/addon/4394
    > I write this extension because i needed easy and fast way to send
    > company mails with some pre-filled data.
    >
    > "Stationery" extension allow you to use HTML file as template for mail
    > (new, reply or forward). In my templates, i have company logo,
    > signature, contact data, typical greeting and security disclaimer.
    > It is easy and convenient way to send company mails.
    >
    > Instead of using Ctrl-E, you just start new mail, or reply, and Template
    > will be automatically loaded into composer. Extension also fixes some
    > small "inconveniences", and allow you to edit raw HTML mail source.
    >
    > If you need help with extension or making template, mail me (removing
    > underscores and BIG letters from my email).

    Many thanks, Arivald. Your extension sounds like exactly what I need.
    Unfortunately, I'm leaving on a 2-month book tour out of the country
    (I'm an author) this weekend, and won't have time to try out your
    extension for a while. But try it I will!

  5. Re: Inserted images don't transfer to reused emails

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Storm keyboarded, On 4/24/2008 3:49 PM :
    >> I've had this T-Bird (2.0.0.12 on XP) problem for at least a year. If
    >> I insert an image into an email (such as my business card jpeg, which
    >> I do frequently), and then later go into my Sent file and reuse that
    >> email as new (Ctrl-E), the image shows in the new email, but won't
    >> send. I get an error message that questions my access to the image.
    >> Why doesn't the new email recognize the original source of the image
    >> (which is coming off the same hard disk)?

    > You need to use the original image. What your doing is trying to
    > recycle a link to a temporary copy. The message in the sent folder has
    > a text encoded version of the image that was created from a temporary
    > copy. Because the template folder has some different properties, it can
    > retain use of an image for future edit as new operations.

    Thanks, Ron. That explains the problem, but surely there was a better
    way to program TBird in the first place. After all, if users are going
    to be offered a "edit as new" (ctrl-E) function, the software should be
    structured in such a way as to allow that to happen, right? Otherwise,
    it should be called "edit some of email as new", no?

  6. Re: Inserted images don't transfer to reused emails

    Storm keyboarded, On 4/25/2008 7:56 AM :
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Storm keyboarded, On 4/24/2008 3:49 PM :
    >>> I've had this T-Bird (2.0.0.12 on XP) problem for at least a year.
    >>> If I insert an image into an email (such as my business card jpeg,
    >>> which I do frequently), and then later go into my Sent file and
    >>> reuse that email as new (Ctrl-E), the image shows in the new email,
    >>> but won't send. I get an error message that questions my access to
    >>> the image. Why doesn't the new email recognize the original source
    >>> of the image (which is coming off the same hard disk)?

    >> You need to use the original image. What your doing is trying to
    >> recycle a link to a temporary copy. The message in the sent folder
    >> has a text encoded version of the image that was created from a
    >> temporary copy. Because the template folder has some different
    >> properties, it can retain use of an image for future edit as new
    >> operations.
    >>

    > Thanks, Ron. That explains the problem, but surely there was a better
    > way to program TBird in the first place. After all, if users are
    > going to be offered a "edit as new" (ctrl-E) function, the software
    > should be structured in such a way as to allow that to happen, right?
    > Otherwise, it should be called "edit some of email as new", no?

    The edit as new generally works well, it is you have a usage method that
    must not have been anticipated, so is not well supported. The edit as
    new is a feature that Netscape had 10-12 years ago in the Navigator
    suite. It was well liked, so it was carried over to the design of the
    Mozilla.Org products.

    This is an issue for which You could submit to bugzilla as an
    Enhancement request.

    --
    Ron K.