How to change Default Printer - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to change Default Printer - Mozilla ; I have recently changed my default printer for the Windows XP OS. However, Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 has failed to pick up on this change. How do I tell TB to recognize a different default printer?...

  1. How to change Default Printer

    I have recently changed my default printer for the Windows XP OS.
    However, Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 has failed to pick up on this change. How
    do I tell TB to recognize a different default printer?

  2. Re: How to change Default Printer

    * piperson wrote, On 4/24/2008 07:20:
    > I have recently changed my default printer for the Windows XP OS.
    > However, Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 has failed to pick up on this change. How
    > do I tell TB to recognize a different default printer?

    Perhaps someone else has another method. But all I do is open a msg,
    then go to file/print and select the needed printer, and then click
    "print." It then remembers that printer.
    Miles

  3. Re: How to change Default Printer

    Miles wrote:
    > * piperson wrote, On 4/24/2008 07:20:
    >> I have recently changed my default printer for the Windows XP OS.
    >> However, Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 has failed to pick up on this change.
    >> How do I tell TB to recognize a different default printer?

    > Perhaps someone else has another method. But all I do is open a msg,
    > then go to file/print and select the needed printer, and then click
    > "print." It then remembers that printer.
    > Miles

    Well, it should remember, but does not.

  4. Re: How to change Default Printer

    piperson keyboarded, On 4/24/2008 4:21 PM :
    > Miles wrote:
    >> * piperson wrote, On 4/24/2008 07:20:
    >>> I have recently changed my default printer for the Windows XP OS.
    >>> However, Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 has failed to pick up on this change.
    >>> How do I tell TB to recognize a different default printer?

    >> Perhaps someone else has another method. But all I do is open a msg,
    >> then go to file/print and select the needed printer, and then click
    >> "print." It then remembers that printer.
    >> Miles

    > Well, it should remember, but does not.

    OK, it's time for some brute force then. Your going to be deleting the
    printer preferences to force new settings to be recorded. If you do
    not have an extension offering an about:config button, use the Tools
    menu Options selection ang goto the Advanced then General tabs. Use
    the Config Editor button and enter print.printer in the filter bar. All
    the entries that match are for one or both of the printers you have.
    Any that are for the old printer need to be reset so they will be
    removed when you close and restart Tbird. To reset, highlight an entry
    then right click and use the context menu reset option. Repeat for all
    the entries of the old printer.

    After a restart, use the Print dialog and select the new printer again,
    do a print job. Close and restart Tb to verify the assignment is sticking.

    This sort of problem happens so infrequently that testers have not been
    able to find what triggers it. Instead the developers intend to replace
    the print processing with a newer code design.

    --
    Ron K.

  5. Re: How to change Default Printer

    Thanks Ron,

    That worked like a charm. Interesting the there were two earlier
    printers listed in the about:config. After the resets, restart, and
    Print dailog, the old printers were gone and the new printer does not
    showup into the about:config. But is works as expected.

    Ron K. wrote:
    > piperson keyboarded, On 4/24/2008 4:21 PM :
    >> Miles wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps someone else has another method. But all I do is open a msg,
    >>> then go to file/print and select the needed printer, and then click
    >>> "print." It then remembers that printer.
    >>> Miles

    >> Well, it should remember, but does not.

    > OK, it's time for some brute force then. Your going to be deleting the
    > printer preferences to force new settings to be recorded. If you do
    > not have an extension offering an about:config button, use the Tools
    > menu Options selection ang goto the Advanced then General tabs. Use
    > the Config Editor button and enter print.printer in the filter bar. All
    > the entries that match are for one or both of the printers you have.
    > Any that are for the old printer need to be reset so they will be
    > removed when you close and restart Tbird. To reset, highlight an entry
    > then right click and use the context menu reset option. Repeat for all
    > the entries of the old printer.
    >
    > After a restart, use the Print dialog and select the new printer again,
    > do a print job. Close and restart Tb to verify the assignment is sticking.
    >
    > This sort of problem happens so infrequently that testers have not been
    > able to find what triggers it. Instead the developers intend to replace
    > the print processing with a newer code design.

  6. Re: How to change Default Printer

    piperson keyboarded, On 4/25/2008 8:44 AM :
    > Thanks Ron,
    >
    > That worked like a charm. Interesting the there were two earlier
    > printers listed in the about:config. After the resets, restart, and
    > Print dailog, the old printers were gone and the new printer does not
    > showup into the about:config. But is works as expected.
    >

    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> piperson keyboarded, On 4/24/2008 4:21 PM :

    >>> Well, it should remember, but does not.

    >> OK, it's time for some brute force then. Your going to be deleting
    >> the printer preferences to force new settings to be recorded. If
    >> you do not have an extension offering an about:config button, use the
    >> Tools menu Options selection ang goto the Advanced then General
    >> tabs. Use the Config Editor button and enter print.printer in the
    >> filter bar. All the entries that match are for one or both of the
    >> printers you have. Any that are for the old printer need to be reset
    >> so they will be removed when you close and restart Tbird. To reset,
    >> highlight an entry then right click and use the context menu reset
    >> option. Repeat for all the entries of the old printer.
    >>
    >> After a restart, use the Print dialog and select the new printer
    >> again, do a print job. Close and restart Tb to verify the assignment
    >> is sticking.
    >>
    >> This sort of problem happens so infrequently that testers have not
    >> been able to find what triggers it. Instead the developers intend to
    >> replace the print processing with a newer code design.

    The settings for the new printer should be added when you use the Page
    Setup dialog to arrange the header and footer content. Any way the
    existance of the two old sets of information had to be a source of
    confusion and the error was the resulting symptom. Usualy the
    preferences file can hold settings for several printers and manage to
    keep them straight.

    You can see why I did not offer that as a first solution. It is saved
    for the hard nut cases.

    --
    Ron K.