Junk & address book - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Junk & address book - Mozilla ; Why is that the junk folder picks up addresses that are in the PAB? This has been increasing over the past few weeks and wonder if it could be related to an upgrade xx.10, 11, 12? I should think that ...

  1. Junk & address book

    Why is that the junk folder picks up addresses that are in the PAB?
    This has been increasing over the past few weeks and wonder if it could
    be related to an upgrade xx.10, 11, 12? I should think that if the
    address is included in the PAB that should override anything in the
    subject or body that could otherwise be construed as spam?
    Miles

  2. Re: Junk & address book

    Miles wrote:
    > Why is that the junk folder picks up addresses that are in the PAB? This
    > has been increasing over the past few weeks and wonder if it could be
    > related to an upgrade xx.10, 11, 12? I should think that if the
    > address is included in the PAB that should override anything in the
    > subject or body that could otherwise be construed as spam?
    > Miles

    Cannot reproduce here. I have Thunderbird's Junk Mail Controls set to
    ignore those in my Personal Address Book

    Tools-->Account Settings-->-->Junk Settings
    X Do not mark mail as junk if sender is in:

    Since this is a PER Account control, check that you have all your
    accounts set to ignore it
    Additionally, check to see that the addresses ARE in the address book

    If set properly, the setting does over-ride the Junk setting

  3. Re: Junk & address book

    * Moz Champion (Dan) wrote, On 4/22/2008 22:41:
    > Miles wrote:
    >> Why is that the junk folder picks up addresses that are in the PAB?
    >> This has been increasing over the past few weeks and wonder if it
    >> could be related to an upgrade xx.10, 11, 12? I should think that if
    >> the address is included in the PAB that should override anything in
    >> the subject or body that could otherwise be construed as spam?
    >> Miles

    > Cannot reproduce here. I have Thunderbird's Junk Mail Controls set to
    > ignore those in my Personal Address Book
    >
    > Tools-->Account Settings-->-->Junk Settings
    > X Do not mark mail as junk if sender is in:
    >

    > Since this is a PER Account control, check that you have all your
    > accounts set to ignore it
    > Additionally, check to see that the addresses ARE in the address book
    >

    > If set properly, the setting does over-ride the Junk setting

    All account settings are as they should be, so don't understand why TB
    is picking on me. So I've removed the check mark from ignore those in
    my PAB, and will restart TB and replace the check to see if any change.

  4. Re: Junk & address book

    * Miles wrote, On 4/23/2008 13:26:
    > * Moz Champion (Dan) wrote, On 4/22/2008 22:41:
    >> Miles wrote:
    >>> Why is that the junk folder picks up addresses that are in the PAB?
    >>> This has been increasing over the past few weeks and wonder if it
    >>> could be related to an upgrade xx.10, 11, 12? I should think that
    >>> if the address is included in the PAB that should override anything
    >>> in the subject or body that could otherwise be construed as spam?
    >>> Miles

    >> Cannot reproduce here. I have Thunderbird's Junk Mail Controls set to
    >> ignore those in my Personal Address Book
    >>
    >> Tools-->Account Settings-->-->Junk Settings
    >> X Do not mark mail as junk if sender is in:
    >>

    >> Since this is a PER Account control, check that you have all your
    >> accounts set to ignore it
    >> Additionally, check to see that the addresses ARE in the address book
    >>

    >> If set properly, the setting does over-ride the Junk setting

    > All account settings are as they should be, so don't understand why TB
    > is picking on me. So I've removed the check mark from ignore those in
    > my PAB, and will restart TB and replace the check to see if any change.

    No change today. Have had 2 emails to junk which were in the PAB. Is
    something over-riding this, or a corrupted file, or a setting not taking
    in prefs.js (couldn't find "address" there), localstore - a million
    mentions of address, but didn't find anything related, or a setting in
    about:config -- but there checking for "address" didn't turn up with
    anything that appeared connected. In which file are account settings
    where this is an option?

  5. Re: Junk & address book

    Miles said the following On 04/25/2008 02:01 AM:

    > No change today. Have had 2 emails to junk which were in the PAB. Is
    > something over-riding this, or a corrupted file, or a setting not
    > taking

    Whether it is really due to file corruption you can check that :
    Move ( don't delete ) training.dat file from profile folder when TB is
    not running .
    Start Thunderbird and try to reproduce same problem .

    Do you have any custom filter setup to move some particular messages
    depending on the presence of some word in Subject or message body ?

    Does those mail id , mails from those are now repeatedly marked as junk
    , really exist in PAB or they are inside in any other Address Book ?

    > in prefs.js (couldn't find "address" there), localstore - a million
    > mentions of address, but didn't find anything related, or a setting
    > in about:config -- but there checking for "address" didn't turn up
    > with anything that appeared connected. In which file are account
    > settings where this is an option?

  6. Re: Junk & address book

    * Nir wrote, On 4/26/2008 03:55:
    > Miles said the following On 04/25/2008 02:01 AM:
    >

    > Whether it is really due to file corruption you can check that :
    > Move ( don't delete ) training.dat file from profile folder when TB is
    > not running .
    > Start Thunderbird and try to reproduce same problem .
    >
    > Do you have any custom filter setup to move some particular messages
    > depending on the presence of some word in Subject or message body ?

    Have multitudes of filters dating back years prior to a decent "junk"
    filter or the ATT filtering. Checking the log found a few of these
    that should not have been invoked, so removed them.

    > Does those mail id, mails from those are now repeatedly marked as junk
    > really exist in PAB or they are inside in any other Address Book ?

    A couple were due to address changes which I hadn't caught, hence didn't
    change the address book.

    Thanks, Nir, I think you identified the error in my ways and I'll be
    watching those junk msgs for address change and erroneous filtering.

    Miles

  7. Re: Junk & address book

    * Nir wrote, On 4/26/2008 03:55:
    > Miles said the following On 04/25/2008 02:01 AM:
    >
    >> No change today. Have had 2 emails to junk which were in the PAB. Is
    >> something over-riding this, or a corrupted file, or a setting not
    >> taking

    > Whether it is really due to file corruption you can check that :
    > Move ( don't delete ) training.dat file from profile folder when TB is
    > not running .
    > Start Thunderbird and try to reproduce same problem .
    >
    > Do you have any custom filter setup to move some particular messages
    > depending on the presence of some word in Subject or message body ?
    >
    > Does those mail id , mails from those are now repeatedly marked as junk
    > , really exist in PAB or they are inside in any other Address Book ?
    >
    >> in prefs.js (couldn't find "address" there), localstore - a million
    >> mentions of address, but didn't find anything related, or a setting
    >> in about:config -- but there checking for "address" didn't turn up
    >> with anything that appeared connected. In which file are account
    >> settings where this is an option?

    Nir, am slowly working my way through this. Yes, all so far are filters
    that concentrate on the subject, sender, or to. Because I have several
    sub-folders in the inbox most of the filtering is accurate to filter to
    those folders, but obviously I've missed a few and had a few too many
    subjects going to spam or junk. Predict it will be completed in a week
    or less. Thanks again.
    Miles

  8. Re: Junk & address book

    * Miles wrote, On 4/28/2008 23:56:
    > * Nir wrote, On 4/26/2008 03:55:
    >> Miles said the following On 04/25/2008 02:01 AM:
    >>
    >>> No change today. Have had 2 emails to junk which were in the PAB. Is
    >>> something over-riding this, or a corrupted file, or a setting not
    >>> taking

    >> Whether it is really due to file corruption you can check that :
    >> Move ( don't delete ) training.dat file from profile folder when TB is
    >> not running .
    >> Start Thunderbird and try to reproduce same problem .
    >>
    >> Do you have any custom filter setup to move some particular messages
    >> depending on the presence of some word in Subject or message body ?
    >>
    >> Does those mail id , mails from those are now repeatedly marked as junk
    >> , really exist in PAB or they are inside in any other Address Book ?
    >>
    >>> in prefs.js (couldn't find "address" there), localstore - a million
    >>> mentions of address, but didn't find anything related, or a setting
    >>> in about:config -- but there checking for "address" didn't turn up
    >>> with anything that appeared connected. In which file are account
    >>> settings where this is an option?

    > Nir, am slowly working my way through this. Yes, all so far are filters
    > that concentrate on the subject, sender, or to. Because I have several
    > sub-folders in the inbox most of the filtering is accurate to filter to
    > those folders, but obviously I've missed a few and had a few too many
    > subjects going to spam or junk. Predict it will be completed in a week
    > or less. Thanks again.
    > Miles

    Nir, all is resolved. There were 5 or 6 filters sending msgs to junk
    which I've eliminated, plus a few others deemed unnecessary.
    Miles

+ Reply to Thread