Add-on for URLS that wrap?? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Add-on for URLS that wrap?? - Mozilla ; Is there an add-on that will let you select a multi-line URL and convert it to a single-line one that can be pasted into FireFox? Usually, multi-line URLs are only partially underlined and clicking on the underlined portion does not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    Is there an add-on that will let you select a multi-line URL and convert
    it to a single-line one that can be pasted into FireFox?

    Usually, multi-line URLs are only partially underlined and clicking on
    the underlined portion does not take you to the intended web page.

  2. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 17.04.2008 05:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Pete Holsberg
    to generate the following:? :
    > Is there an add-on that will let you select a multi-line URL and convert
    > it to a single-line one that can be pasted into FireFox?
    >
    > Usually, multi-line URLs are only partially underlined and clicking on
    > the underlined portion does not take you to the intended web page.

    1) place angle-brackets around the complete URL:
    < at the beginning
    > at the very end

    2) use TinyURL - which some people will refuse to open, as the
    *original* is not obvious. But you can now get a TinyURL as a preview,
    which shows the complete original URL.

    create a new bookmark
    name it Make TinyURL
    open the Properties of that new BM
    copy and paste this into the [ Location ] field:
    javascript:void(location.href='http://tinyurl.com/create.php?url='+location.href)

    when you get a site with that loooonnnnggggg URL, simply click the
    bookmark "Make TinyURL" and the TinyURL-Homepage opens, complete with
    two options - one as a "direct" TinyURL, the second is the option to see
    a preview!

    reg

  3. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 17.04.2008 11:08, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused squaredancer
    to generate the following:? :
    > On 17.04.2008 05:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Pete Holsberg
    > to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> Is there an add-on that will let you select a multi-line URL and convert
    >> it to a single-line one that can be pasted into FireFox?
    >>
    >> Usually, multi-line URLs are only partially underlined and clicking on
    >> the underlined portion does not take you to the intended web page.
    >>

    > 1) place angle-brackets around the complete URL:
    > < at the beginning
    > > at the very end

    > 2) use TinyURL - which some people will refuse to open, as the
    > *original* is not obvious. But you can now get a TinyURL as a preview,
    > which shows the complete original URL.
    >
    > create a new bookmark
    > name it Make TinyURL
    > open the Properties of that new BM
    > copy and paste this into the [ Location ] field:
    > javascript:void(location.href='http://tinyurl.com/create.php?url='+location.href)
    >
    > when you get a site with that loooonnnnggggg URL, simply click the
    > bookmark "Make TinyURL" and the TinyURL-Homepage opens, complete with
    > two options - one as a "direct" TinyURL, the second is the option to see
    > a preview!
    >
    > reg

    aw, **** - that URL did just what your OP complains about.... so here it
    is corrected:
    :void(location.href='http://tinyurl.com/create.php?url='+location.href)>

    and you can see what the < > do!

    reg

  4. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 4/17/2008 2:15 AM, squaredancer wrote:
    > On 17.04.2008 11:08, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused squaredancer
    > to generate the following:? :
    >> On 17.04.2008 05:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Pete Holsberg
    >> to generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> Is there an add-on that will let you select a multi-line URL and convert
    >>> it to a single-line one that can be pasted into FireFox?
    >>>
    >>> Usually, multi-line URLs are only partially underlined and clicking on
    >>> the underlined portion does not take you to the intended web page.
    >>>

    >> 1) place angle-brackets around the complete URL:
    >> < at the beginning
    >> > at the very end

    >> 2) use TinyURL - which some people will refuse to open, as the
    >> *original* is not obvious. But you can now get a TinyURL as a preview,
    >> which shows the complete original URL.
    >>
    >> create a new bookmark
    >> name it Make TinyURL
    >> open the Properties of that new BM
    >> copy and paste this into the [ Location ] field:
    >> javascript:void(location.href='http://tinyurl.com/create.php?url='+location.href)
    >>
    >> when you get a site with that loooonnnnggggg URL, simply click the
    >> bookmark "Make TinyURL" and the TinyURL-Homepage opens, complete with
    >> two options - one as a "direct" TinyURL, the second is the option to see
    >> a preview!
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > aw, **** - that URL did just what your OP complains about.... so here it
    > is corrected:
    > :void(location.href='http://tinyurl.com/create.php?url='+location.href)>
    >
    > and you can see what the < > do!
    >
    > reg

    The brackets are per RFC 3986 (Appendix C), brought forward from earlier
    (and now obsolete) RFCs. I use them for all URIs in text (see my
    signature below) except when entering text in a Web form. The
    processing of some Web forms interprets <> as delimiting HTML markups,
    so I use [] in Web forms.

    --
    David E. Ross

    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much

  5. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Is there an add-on that will let you select a multi-line URL and convert
    > it to a single-line one that can be pasted into FireFox?
    >
    > Usually, multi-line URLs are only partially underlined and clicking on
    > the underlined portion does not take you to the intended web page.

    URL Link does exactly this and even more. I could hardly live without it.

    Christian

  6. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    Christian Riechers wrote:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >> Is there an add-on that will let you select a multi-line URL and
    >> convert it to a single-line one that can be pasted into FireFox?
    >>
    >> Usually, multi-line URLs are only partially underlined and clicking on
    >> the underlined portion does not take you to the intended web page.

    > URL Link does exactly this and even more. I could hardly live without it.

    I should have added that it works for both, FF & TB. Here's the link for
    TB also:

    Christian

  7. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    Christian Riechers wrote:
    > Christian Riechers wrote:
    >> Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>> Is there an add-on that will let you select a multi-line URL and
    >>> convert it to a single-line one that can be pasted into FireFox?
    >>>
    >>> Usually, multi-line URLs are only partially underlined and clicking
    >>> on the underlined portion does not take you to the intended web page.

    >> URL Link does exactly this and even more. I could hardly live without
    >> it.
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/403
    >>

    > I should have added that it works for both, FF & TB. Here's the link
    > for TB also:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/403

    also see
    to select and "search for" any kind of text, why not even a broken link ..

  8. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    Christian Riechers has written on 4/17/2008 6:25 PM:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >
    >> Is there an add-on that will let you select a multi-line URL and convert
    >> it to a single-line one that can be pasted into FireFox?
    >>
    >> Usually, multi-line URLs are only partially underlined and clicking on
    >> the underlined portion does not take you to the intended web page.
    >>

    > URL Link does exactly this and even more. I could hardly live without it.

    Great! How does one use it, just select the multiline URL and then?

    Thanks.

  9. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Christian Riechers has written on 4/17/2008 6:25 PM:
    >> Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there an add-on that will let you select a multi-line URL and
    >>> convert it to a single-line one that can be pasted into FireFox?
    >>>
    >>> Usually, multi-line URLs are only partially underlined and clicking
    >>> on the underlined portion does not take you to the intended web page.
    >>>

    >> URL Link does exactly this and even more. I could hardly live without it.
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/403

    > Great! How does one use it, just select the multiline URL and then?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Select the multi-line URL and right click 'Open Selected URL' or 'Open
    Selected URL in New Tab'.

    --
    Christian

  10. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 17.04.2008 23:29 UK Time, Christian Riechers wrote:
    > Christian Riechers wrote:
    >> Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>> Is there an add-on that will let you select a multi-line URL and
    >>> convert it to a single-line one that can be pasted into FireFox?
    >>>
    >>> Usually, multi-line URLs are only partially underlined and clicking
    >>> on the underlined portion does not take you to the intended web page.

    >> URL Link does exactly this and even more. I could hardly live without it.
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/403
    >>

    > I should have added that it works for both, FF & TB. Here's the link for
    > TB also:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/403

    Thanks for pointing out this add-on - it works well :-)

    However, in the following broken link

    http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...eId=132384&com
    mand=displayContent&sourceNode=132384&contentPK=20296266&folderPk=77465

    it replaces the ampersand near the wrap point with &amp%3B so that the
    link no longer works, i.e. in FF I see this incorrect link:

    I'm not quite sure what to enter under Options in order to prevent this.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  11. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 21-04-2008 07:51 CET, Herb composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 17.04.2008 23:29 UK Time, Christian Riechers wrote:
    >> Christian Riechers wrote:

    >>> URL Link does exactly this and even more. I could hardly live
    >>> without it.
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/403
    >>>

    >> I should have added that it works for both, FF & TB. Here's the link
    >> for TB also:
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/403

    > Thanks for pointing out this add-on - it works well :-)
    >
    > However, in the following broken link
    >
    > http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...eId=132384&com
    > mand=displayContent&sourceNode=132384&contentPK=20296266&folderPk=77465
    >
    > it replaces the ampersand near the wrap point with &amp%3B so that the
    > link no longer works, i.e. in FF I see this incorrect link:
    >

    > I'm not quite sure what to enter under Options in order to prevent this.

    This is an example of an edit of a 'hyperlink' in HTML mode:

    leicestershire

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  12. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 21-04-2008 07:51 CET, Herb composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 17.04.2008 23:29 UK Time, Christian Riechers wrote:
    >> Christian Riechers wrote:

    >>> URL Link does exactly this and even more. I could hardly live
    >>> without it.
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/403
    >>>

    >> I should have added that it works for both, FF & TB. Here's the link
    >> for TB also:
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/403

    > Thanks for pointing out this add-on - it works well :-)
    >
    > However, in the following broken link
    >
    > http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...eId=132384&com
    > mand=displayContent&sourceNode=132384&contentPK=20296266&folderPk=77465
    >
    > it replaces the ampersand near the wrap point with &amp%3B so that the
    > link no longer works, i.e. in FF I see this incorrect link:
    >

    > I'm not quite sure what to enter under Options in order to prevent this.

    Perhaps, you could set the truncation limit higher (than the default of
    72) in the Composition Options.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  13. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 21.04.2008 09:09 UK Time, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >> However, in the following broken link
    >>
    >> http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...eId=132384&com
    >> mand=displayContent&sourceNode=132384&contentPK=20296266&folderPk=77465
    >>
    >> it replaces the ampersand near the wrap point with &amp%3B so that the
    >> link no longer works, i.e. in FF I see this incorrect link:
    >>

    >> I'm not quite sure what to enter under Options in order to prevent this.
    >>

    > This is an example of an edit of a 'hyperlink' in HTML mode:
    >
    > leicestershire

    Thanks for your reply, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "example
    of an edit of a 'hyperlink' in HTML mode" :-\

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  14. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 21.04.2008 09:23 UK Time, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 21-04-2008 07:51 CET, Herb composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> I should have added that it works for both, FF & TB. Here's the link
    >>> for TB also:
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/403

    >> Thanks for pointing out this add-on - it works well :-)
    >>
    >> However, in the following broken link
    >>
    >> http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...eId=132384&com
    >> mand=displayContent&sourceNode=132384&contentPK=20296266&folderPk=77465
    >>
    >> it replaces the ampersand near the wrap point with &amp%3B so that the
    >> link no longer works, i.e. in FF I see this incorrect link:
    >>

    >> I'm not quite sure what to enter under Options in order to prevent this.
    >>

    > Perhaps, you could set the truncation limit higher (than the default of
    > 72) in the Composition Options.

    Thanks, but I don't really to change the Composition Options, and in any
    case, it isn't really a composition issue.

    I assumed there was a way of dealing with this in the URL Link add-on
    options?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  15. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 21-04-2008 11:40 CET, Herb composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 21.04.2008 09:23 UK Time, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >>> Thanks for pointing out this add-on - it works well :-)
    >>>
    >>> However, in the following broken link
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...eId=132384&com
    >>> mand=displayContent&sourceNode=132384&contentPK=20296266&folderPk=77465
    >>>
    >>> it replaces the ampersand near the wrap point with &amp%3B so that
    >>> the link no longer works, i.e. in FF I see this incorrect link:
    >>>

    >>> I'm not quite sure what to enter under Options in order to prevent
    >>> this.
    >>>

    >> Perhaps, you could set the truncation limit higher (than the default
    >> of 72) in the Composition Options.

    > Thanks, but I don't really to change the Composition Options, and in
    > any case, it isn't really a composition issue.

    Sure, it is not an issue, but you can't repair it...

    > I assumed there was a way of dealing with this in the URL Link add-on
    > options?

    No, even in HTML mode, if you break the word 'chestershire' - the
    descriptor of the hyperlink - for a new line, things go haywire.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  16. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 21-04-2008 11:38 CET, Herb composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 21.04.2008 09:09 UK Time, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >
    >>> However, in the following broken link
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...eId=132384&com
    >>> mand=displayContent&sourceNode=132384&contentPK=20296266&folderPk=77465
    >>>
    >>> it replaces the ampersand near the wrap point with &amp%3B so that
    >>> the link no longer works, i.e. in FF I see this incorrect link:
    >>>

    >>> I'm not quite sure what to enter under Options in order to prevent
    >>> this.
    >>>

    >> This is an example of an edit of a 'hyperlink' in HTML mode:
    >>
    >> leicestershire
    >>

    > Thanks for your reply, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by
    > "example of an edit of a 'hyperlink' in HTML mode" :-\

    I should have emphasized that I always edit or compose in HTML mode and
    for news messages, I will only send the plain text, except for the
    infamous newsgroup 'mozilla.test.multimedia'. ;-)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  17. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 21-04-2008 15:58 CET, squaredancer composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 21.04.2008 15:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Melchert
    > Fruitema to generate the following:? :
    >> I should have emphasized that I always edit or compose in
    >> HTML mode and for news messages, I will only send the plain text,
    >> except for the infamous newsgroup 'mozilla.test.multimedia'. ;-)
    >>

    > hey - that GROUP ain't infamous - it's the moderator who claims that
    > status!
    >
    > reg

    Oops, got that wrong. I meant notorious. My apologies... :-!

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  18. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    Herb has written on 4/21/2008 5:40 AM:
    > On 21.04.2008 09:23 UK Time, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >>> Thanks for pointing out this add-on - it works well :-)
    >>>
    >>> However, in the following broken link
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...eId=132384&com
    >>> mand=displayContent&sourceNode=132384&contentPK=20296266&folderPk=77465
    >>>
    >>> it replaces the ampersand near the wrap point with &amp%3B so that the
    >>> link no longer works, i.e. in FF I see this incorrect link:
    >>>

    >>> I'm not quite sure what to enter under Options in order to prevent this.
    >>>

    >> Perhaps, you could set the truncation limit higher (than the default of
    >> 72) in the Composition Options.
    >>

    > Thanks, but I don't really to change the Composition Options, and in any
    > case, it isn't really a composition issue.

    I don't see Composition Options in URL Link's Options!!

  19. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 21-04-2008 22:30 CET, squaredancer composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 21.04.2008 16:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Melchert
    > Fruitema to generate the following:? :
    >> On 21-04-2008 15:58 CET, squaredancer composed this enchanting
    >> statement:
    >>> On 21.04.2008 15:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Melchert
    >>> Fruitema to generate the following:? :
    >>>>
    >>> hey - that GROUP ain't infamous - it's the moderator who claims that
    >>> status!
    >>>
    >>> reg
    >>>

    >> Oops, got that wrong. I meant notorious. My apologies... :-!
    >>

    > hmmmm - that came *just in time* Melchert :-\
    >
    > reg

    ;-)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  20. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 21.04.2008 06:51 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    > On 17.04.2008 23:29 UK Time, Christian Riechers wrote:
    >> Christian Riechers wrote:

    >>> URL Link does exactly this and even more. I could hardly live without
    >>> it.
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/403
    >>>

    >> I should have added that it works for both, FF & TB. Here's the link
    >> for TB also:
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/403

    > Thanks for pointing out this add-on - it works well :-)
    >
    > However, in the following broken link
    >
    > http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...eId=132384&com
    > mand=displayContent&sourceNode=132384&contentPK=20296266&folderPk=77465
    >
    > it replaces the ampersand near the wrap point with &amp%3B so that the
    > link no longer works, i.e. in FF I see this incorrect link:
    >

    > I'm not quite sure what to enter under Options in order to prevent this.

    I got a little confused about the outcome of the ensuing discussion,
    i.e. can this problem be rectified somehow under Options in the URL Link
    add-on or not?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk