Add-on for URLS that wrap?? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Add-on for URLS that wrap?? - Mozilla ; In message Pete Holsberg wrote: >Is there an add-on that will let you select a multi-line URL and convert >it to a single-line one that can be pasted into FireFox? The other suggestions in the thread assist with how to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    In message
    Pete
    Holsberg wrote:

    >Is there an add-on that will let you select a multi-line URL and convert
    >it to a single-line one that can be pasted into FireFox?

    The other suggestions in the thread assist with how to power URLs
    properly. However, you can't control what others post and you may still
    need to handle those cases.

    For what it's worth, Firefox 3 handles this natively -- You just paste
    the multiline URL into the address bar, Firefox 3 strips whitespace and
    unwraps the URL.

    For older versions of Firefox, use the "Open Long URL" extension from
    http://mozmonkey.com/
    --
    Dave Warren, dave@djwcomputers.com
    Office: (403) 775-1700 / (888) 300-3480

  2. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 24-04-2008 07:57 CET, Herb composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/403

    >> Thanks for pointing out this add-on - it works well :-)
    >>
    >> However, in the following broken link
    >>
    >> http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...eId=132384&com
    >> mand=displayContent&sourceNode=132384&contentPK=20296266&folderPk=77465
    >>
    >> it replaces the ampersand near the wrap point with &amp%3B so that
    >> the link no longer works, i.e. in FF I see this incorrect link:
    >>

    >> I'm not quite sure what to enter under Options in order to prevent this.

    > I got a little confused about the outcome of the ensuing discussion,
    > i.e. can this problem be rectified somehow under Options in the URL
    > Link add-on or not?

    The summary of that extension says:

    "URL Link is a small Firefox and Thunderbird extension that allows you
    to select a non-URL in a mail/news message or web-page, and open it in a
    browser window".

    Your link is a long real URL. For the resolution, see Dave Warren's post.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 24.04.2008 11:22 UK Time, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >> I got a little confused about the outcome of the ensuing discussion,
    >> i.e. can this problem be rectified somehow under Options in the URL
    >> Link add-on or not?
    >>

    > The summary of that extension says:
    >
    > "URL Link is a small Firefox and Thunderbird extension that allows you
    > to select a non-URL in a mail/news message or web-page, and open it in a
    > browser window".
    >
    > Your link is a long real URL. For the resolution, see Dave Warren's post.

    Thanks, I had overlooked the 'non-URL' part of the description :-[

    Dave refers to the "Open Long URL" extension. I installed this in TB
    from , but it is nowhere to be seen after a TB
    re-start :-\

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  4. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 24.04.2008 11:59 UK Time, Herb wrote:

    > Dave refers to the "Open Long URL" extension. I installed this in TB
    > from , but it is nowhere to be seen after a TB
    > re-start :-\

    I just realised that I had overlooked an incompatibility notice - see

    I wonder whether it is truly incompatible or whether the xpi file could
    be modified?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  5. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 24-04-2008 18:14 CET, Herb composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 24.04.2008 11:59 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    >> Dave refers to the "Open Long URL" extension. I installed this in TB
    >> from , but it is nowhere to be seen after a TB
    >> re-start :-\

    > I just realised that I had overlooked an incompatibility notice - see

    I see up it was made available up to version 1.5+

    > I wonder whether it is truly incompatible or whether the xpi file
    > could be modified?

    I guess you'll have to try it to find out. Do you have extension Nightly
    Testing Tools (NTT) to tric the version check?

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  6. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 24.04.2008 19:45 UK Time, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 24-04-2008 18:14 CET, Herb composed this enchanting statement:
    >> On 24.04.2008 11:59 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    >>> Dave refers to the "Open Long URL" extension. I installed this in TB
    >>> from , but it is nowhere to be seen after a TB
    >>> re-start :-\

    >> I just realised that I had overlooked an incompatibility notice - see
    >>

    > I see up it was made available up to version 1.5+
    >>
    >> I wonder whether it is truly incompatible or whether the xpi file
    >> could be modified?
    >>

    > I guess you'll have to try it to find out. Do you have extension Nightly
    > Testing Tools (NTT) to tric the version check?

    Yes, I have NTT, but as far as I am aware this only works for extensions
    that TB actually installs. In this cases TB refuses to install the
    extension, so that manual modification of the xpi file may be required,
    IIRC, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  7. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 25-04-2008 05:45 CET, Herb composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 24.04.2008 19:45 UK Time, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I just realised that I had overlooked an incompatibility notice -
    >>> see

    >> I see up it was made available up to version 1.5+
    >>>
    >>> I wonder whether it is truly incompatible or whether the xpi file
    >>> could be modified?
    >>>

    >> I guess you'll have to try it to find out. Do you have extension
    >> Nightly Testing Tools (NTT) to tric the version check?

    > Yes, I have NTT, but as far as I am aware this only works for
    > extensions that TB actually installs. In this cases TB refuses to
    > install the extension, so that manual modification of the xpi file may
    > be required, IIRC, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

    I see. Well, there is a recipe for that. You can unzip the .xpi, edit it
    (the .rdf) and zip it back. Have to look for it in the archive (eh,
    Google groups). Didn't you have some archive made by yourself?

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  8. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 25.04.2008 09:25 UK Time, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 25-04-2008 05:45 CET, Herb composed this enchanting statement:
    >> On 24.04.2008 19:45 UK Time, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>> On 24-04-2008 18:14 CET, Herb composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> I see up it was made available up to version 1.5+

    >>> I guess you'll have to try it to find out. Do you have extension
    >>> Nightly Testing Tools (NTT) to tric the version check?

    >> Yes, I have NTT, but as far as I am aware this only works for
    >> extensions that TB actually installs. In this cases TB refuses to
    >> install the extension, so that manual modification of the xpi file may
    >> be required, IIRC, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
    >>

    > I see. Well, there is a recipe for that. You can unzip the .xpi, edit it
    > (the .rdf) and zip it back. Have to look for it in the archive (eh,
    > Google groups). Didn't you have some archive made by yourself?

    Well remembered! Yes, I used to archive all Mozilla newsgroup messages,
    but since the arrival of the Google groups archive I haven't been
    archiving locally in a consistent manner. Anyway, perhaps I better
    resume, because as far as I can tell the Google groups archive is still
    a little erratic, right?

    Anyway, thanks for the reminder about unzipping the xpi file. I did
    this, changed maxVersion from 1.5+ to 2.0+ in the rdf file, zipped it
    again and installed it, and guess what? It works :-) 8-)

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  9. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    On 25-04-2008 12:27 CET, Herb composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 25.04.2008 09:25 UK Time, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >>> Yes, I have NTT, but as far as I am aware this only works for
    >>> extensions that TB actually installs. In this cases TB refuses to
    >>> install the extension, so that manual modification of the xpi file
    >>> may be required, IIRC, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
    >>>

    >> I see. Well, there is a recipe for that. You can unzip the .xpi, edit
    >> it (the .rdf) and zip it back. Have to look for it in the archive
    >> (eh, Google groups). Didn't you have some archive made by yourself?

    > Well remembered! Yes, I used to archive all Mozilla newsgroup messages,
    > but since the arrival of the Google groups archive I haven't been
    > archiving locally in a consistent manner. Anyway, perhaps I better
    > resume, because as far as I can tell the Google groups archive is
    > still a little erratic, right?
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for the reminder about unzipping the xpi file. I did
    > this, changed maxVersion from 1.5+ to 2.0+ in the rdf file, zipped it
    > again and installed it, and guess what? It works :-) 8-)

    Good job!

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  10. Re: Add-on for URLS that wrap??

    Herb said the following On 04/25/2008 03:57 PM:
    > On 25.04.2008 09:25 UK Time, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >> I see. Well, there is a recipe for that. You can unzip the .xpi, edit
    >> it (the .rdf) and zip it back. Have to look for it in the archive (eh,
    >> Google groups). Didn't you have some archive made by yourself?

    > Well remembered! Yes, I used to archive all Mozilla newsgroup messages,
    > but since the arrival of the Google groups archive I haven't been
    > archiving locally in a consistent manner. Anyway, perhaps I better
    > resume, because as far as I can tell the Google groups archive is still
    > a little erratic, right?
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for the reminder about unzipping the xpi file. I did
    > this, changed maxVersion from 1.5+ to 2.0+ in the rdf file, zipped it
    > again and installed it, and guess what? It works :-) 8-)

    Next time don't forget to toggle this pref value to false
    extensions.checkCompatibility
    This will help you to avoid unzip-modify-rezip .

    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility"

    On 25.04.2008 16:30 UK Time, Nir wrote:

    >> Anyway, thanks for the reminder about unzipping the xpi file. I did
    >> this, changed maxVersion from 1.5+ to 2.0+ in the rdf file, zipped it
    >> again and installed it, and guess what? It works :-) 8-)
    >>

    > Next time don't forget to toggle this pref value to false
    > extensions.checkCompatibility
    > This will help you to avoid unzip-modify-rezip .
    >
    > "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility"

    Splendid, thanks for the link 8-)

    --
    Herbert Eppel