This is a discussion on Responses to newgroup posts in bold? - Mozilla ; I'm using Thunderbird for my newsgroup reader. One issue I have with it though is when someone responds to a post of mine I have no way of telling (threads are normally collapsed). In Outlook, the top level heading turns ...

    I'm using Thunderbird for my newsgroup reader. One issue I have with it
    though is when someone responds to a post of mine I have no way of
    telling (threads are normally collapsed). In Outlook, the top level
    heading turns bold when someone responds. Is there anyway to make
    Thunderbird behave similarly?

  2. Re: Responses to newgroup posts in bold?

    On 08-04-2008 03:14 CET, Pat composed this enchanting statement:
    > I'm using Thunderbird for my newsgroup reader. One issue I have with
    > it though is when someone responds to a post of mine I have no way of
    > telling (threads are normally collapsed). In Outlook, the top level
    > heading turns bold when someone responds. Is there anyway to make
    > Thunderbird behave similarly?

    No, not in Thunderbird, itself; possibly an extension supports that
    feature: refer to and search (AMO).

    When you view threads with unread messages, you'll see that someone
    responded to your posting, for sure.

    Another possible approach: you may like to create a virtual folder,
    after a search inn one or more newsgroups on your name. Later you can
    quickly scan the subjects for a reference in the newsgroup(s).

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: Responses to newgroup posts in bold?

    On 4/7/2008 6:14 PM, Pat wrote:
    > I'm using Thunderbird for my newsgroup reader. One issue I have with it
    > though is when someone responds to a post of mine I have no way of
    > telling (threads are normally collapsed). In Outlook, the top level
    > heading turns bold when someone responds. Is there anyway to make
    > Thunderbird behave similarly?

    A collapsed newsgroup with an unread reply is underlined. When you
    expand the newsgroup, the actual unread reply is bold.

    --
    David E. Ross

    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much

  4. Re: Responses to newgroup posts in bold?

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > On 4/7/2008 6:14 PM, Pat wrote:
    >> I'm using Thunderbird for my newsgroup reader. One issue I have with it
    >> though is when someone responds to a post of mine I have no way of
    >> telling (threads are normally collapsed). In Outlook, the top level
    >> heading turns bold when someone responds. Is there anyway to make
    >> Thunderbird behave similarly?

    > A collapsed newsgroup with an unread reply is underlined. When you
    > expand the newsgroup, the actual unread reply is bold.

    OK. I hadn't caught that.

    A while back I remember coming across some information that described
    how to customize the behavior (like making the text of watched posts
    red) by setting up a file (named chrome, I think). Do you know anything
    about that?

    I guess I'm looking for an easier way to track newsgroup posts and

    Thanks.

  5. Re: Responses to newgroup posts in bold?

    Pat wrote:

    > I guess I'm looking for an easier way to track newsgroup posts and
    >
    > Thanks.

    I just use the letter n - next unread message opens,, rinse, repeat ;-)

    --
    TK
    http://wejuggle2.com/

  6. Re: Responses to newgroup posts in bold?

    Pat wrote:
    > I'm using Thunderbird for my newsgroup reader. One issue I have with it
    > though is when someone responds to a post of mine I have no way of
    > telling (threads are normally collapsed). In Outlook, the top level
    > heading turns bold when someone responds. Is there anyway to make
    > Thunderbird behave similarly?

    No. That's common in other news clients, but TB can't natively do *what
    you're asking*. I emphasize "what you're asking" because folks that
    aren't used to *having* that ability (via other news clients) always
    answer this request with "solutions" that don't actually do what you
    desire.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  7. Re: Responses to newgroup posts in bold?

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    >> I'm using Thunderbird for my newsgroup reader. One issue I have with
    >> it though is when someone responds to a post of mine I have no way of
    >> telling (threads are normally collapsed). In Outlook, the top level
    >> heading turns bold when someone responds. Is there anyway to make
    >> Thunderbird behave similarly?

    > No. That's common in other news clients, but TB can't natively do *what
    > you're asking*. I emphasize "what you're asking" because folks that
    > aren't used to *having* that ability (via other news clients) always
    > answer this request with "solutions" that don't actually do what you
    > desire.

    Thanks.

  8. Re: Responses to newgroup posts in bold?

    Pat said the following On 04/08/2008 06:44 AM:
    > I'm using Thunderbird for my newsgroup reader. One issue I have with it
    > though is when someone responds to a post of mine I have no way of
    > telling (threads are normally collapsed). In Outlook, the top level
    > heading turns bold when someone responds. Is there anyway to make
    > Thunderbird behave similarly?

    Close Thunderbird.
    Open Thunderbird profile folder.
    Open ( or create if doesn't exist ) 'chrome' folder.
    Open ( ) 'userChrome.css' file .
    Copy this code within it

    /* change unread thread color */
    treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(container, closed, hasUnread, read)
    {
    color: red !important;
    font-weight: bold !important;
    }

    Save file . Start Thunderbird.

    From now in Newsgroup , any collapsed thread with some unread/new post
    in it will be shown in red color and font style will be bold.

  9. Re: Responses to newgroup posts in bold?

    Nir wrote:
    > Pat said the following On 04/08/2008 06:44 AM:
    >> I'm using Thunderbird for my newsgroup reader. One issue I have with
    >> it though is when someone responds to a post of mine I have no way of
    >> telling (threads are normally collapsed). In Outlook, the top level
    >> heading turns bold when someone responds. Is there anyway to make
    >> Thunderbird behave similarly?

    > Close Thunderbird.
    > Open Thunderbird profile folder.
    > Open ( or create if doesn't exist ) 'chrome' folder.
    > Open ( ) 'userChrome.css' file .
    > Copy this code within it
    >
    > /* change unread thread color */
    > treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(container, closed, hasUnread, read)
    > {
    > color: red !important;
    > font-weight: bold !important;
    > }
    >
    > Save file . Start Thunderbird.
    >
    > From now in Newsgroup , any collapsed thread with some unread/new post
    > in it will be shown in red color and font style will be bold.

    Thanks Nir! This is what I remember from before.

    It's too bad Mozilla doesn't make this sort of customization a little
    more accessible by, say, making it something you set in the options,
    rather than having to modify the userChrome.css file. Maybe in a future
    version.

    Pat

+ Reply to Thread