Greyed out toolbar buttons - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Greyed out toolbar buttons - Mozilla ; On the main TB screen there are 2 icons in the toolbar named BACK and FORWARD.  They are, and have always been, GREYED out. Would appreciate it if someone would tell me what these buttons are supposed to be used ...

  1. Greyed out toolbar buttons

    On the main TB screen there are 2 icons in the toolbar named BACK and FORWARD.
     They are, and have always been, GREYED out.

    Would appreciate it if someone would tell me what these buttons are supposed to be used for

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Greyed out toolbar buttons

    On 06-04-2008 14:43 CET, Al Lawrence composed this enchanting statement:
    > On the main TB screen there are 2 icons in the toolbar named BACK and
    > FORWARD.
    > They are, and have always been, GREYED out.
    >
    > Would appreciate it if someone would tell me what these buttons are
    > supposed to be used for
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Hmm, I must admit this can be confusing, at first. Clicking on the icon
    will display the next, or previous, _unread_ message. If they are grey
    there are no unread messages left to display, at all.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: Greyed out toolbar buttons

    On 2008/04/06 11:44 AM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 06-04-2008 14:43 CET, Al Lawrence composed this enchanting statement:
    >> On the main TB screen there are 2 icons in the toolbar named BACK and
    >> FORWARD.
    >> They are, and have always been, GREYED out.
    >>
    >> Would appreciate it if someone would tell me what these buttons are
    >> supposed to be used for
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!

    > Hmm, I must admit this can be confusing, at first. Clicking on the
    > icon will display the next, or previous, _unread_ message. If they are
    > grey there are no unread messages left to display, at all.

    However, Back takes you to the previous read message and Forward takes
    you ahead to a previously read message. Different buttons and different
    functions than Next and Previous buttons.

    --
    Larry I. Gusaas
    Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

    Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

  4. Re: Greyed out toolbar buttons

    On 06-04-2008 20:12 CET, Larry Gusaas composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 2008/04/06 11:44 AM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 06-04-2008 14:43 CET, Al Lawrence composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> On the main TB screen there are 2 icons in the toolbar named BACK
    >>> and FORWARD.
    >>> They are, and have always been, GREYED out.
    >>>
    >>> Would appreciate it if someone would tell me what these buttons are
    >>> supposed to be used for
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance!

    >> Hmm, I must admit this can be confusing, at first. Clicking on the
    >> icon will display the next, or previous, _unread_ message. If they
    >> are grey there are no unread messages left to display, at all.
    >>

    > However, Back takes you to the previous read message and Forward takes
    > you ahead to a previously read message. Different buttons and
    > different functions than Next and Previous buttons.

    Yes. I am looking at the icons on the toolbar. See this snap shot:

    Anyway, you must have hit a flaw. Closing the mail & newsgroup window
    and re-open will cure that.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  5. Re: Greyed out toolbar buttons

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    On 06-04-2008 14:43 CET, Al Lawrence composed this enchanting statement:

    On the main TB screen there are 2 icons in the toolbar named BACK and FORWARD. They are, and have always been, GREYED out. Would appreciate it if someone would tell me what these buttons are supposed to be used for Thanks in advance!

    Hmm, I must admit this can be confusing, at first. Clicking on the icon will display the next, or previous, _unread_ message. If they are grey there are no unread messages left to display, at all.

    That is not what is happening here.... there are many more UNREAD and the buttons remain GREYED out...

  6. Re: Greyed out toolbar buttons

    Larry Gusaas wrote:

    On 2008/04/06 11:44 AM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    On 06-04-2008 14:43 CET, Al Lawrence composed this enchanting statement:

    On the main TB screen there are 2 icons in the toolbar named BACK and FORWARD. They are, and have always been, GREYED out. Would appreciate it if someone would tell me what these buttons are supposed to be used for Thanks in advance!

    Hmm, I must admit this can be confusing, at first. Clicking on the icon will display the next, or previous, _unread_ message. If they are grey there are no unread messages left to display, at all.

    However, Back takes you to the previous read message and Forward takes you ahead to a previously read message. Different buttons and different functions than Next and Previous buttons.

    Hmmm, where would I find the BACK and FORWARD buttons?

  7. Re: Greyed out toolbar buttons

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    On 06-04-2008 20:12 CET, Larry Gusaas composed this enchanting statement:

    On 2008/04/06 11:44 AM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    On 06-04-2008 14:43 CET, Al Lawrence composed this enchanting statement:

    On the main TB screen there are 2 icons in the toolbar named BACK and FORWARD. They are, and have always been, GREYED out. Would appreciate it if someone would tell me what these buttons are supposed to be used for Thanks in advance!

    Hmm, I must admit this can be confusing, at first. Clicking on the icon will display the next, or previous, _unread_ message. If they are grey there are no unread messages left to display, at all.

    However, Back takes you to the previous read message and Forward takes you ahead to a previously read message. Different buttons and different functions than Next and Previous buttons.

    Yes. I am looking at the icons on the toolbar. See this snap shot: <http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backandforthod8.png> Anyway, you must have hit a flaw. Closing the mail & newsgroup window and re-open will cure that.

    Mine does not look anything like yours... I believe I am using the default template... not had a chance to experiment.

    What is the template name that you are suing?

  8. Re: Greyed out toolbar buttons

    On 2008/04/06 1:44 PM, Al Lawrence wrote:
    > Larry Gusaas wrote:
    >> On 2008/04/06 11:44 AM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 06-04-2008 14:43 CET, Al Lawrence composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> Hmm, I must admit this can be confusing, at first. Clicking on the
    >>> icon will display the next, or previous, _unread_ message. If they are
    >>> grey there are no unread messages left to display, at all.
    >>>

    >> However, Back takes you to the previous read message and Forward takes
    >> you ahead to a previously read message. Different buttons and different
    >> functions than Next and Previous buttons.
    >>

    > Hmmm, where would I find the BACK and FORWARD buttons?

    I thought you said you had them - "there are 2 icons in the toolbar
    named BACK and
    FORWARD." They are greyed out until after you read a message in a
    folder. When you go to another message, the back button will no longer
    be greyed out. Click on it and you will go back to the previous read
    message. The forward button will now not be greyed out. Click on it to
    go forward to read message.

    Previous and next buttons take you to unread messages. If you do not
    have these buttons, right click on the button toolbar and click
    customize and you can add them to the toolbar.

    --
    Larry I. Gusaas
    Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
    Canada

    Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

  9. Re: Greyed out toolbar buttons

    On 06-04-2008 21:55 CET, Al Lawrence composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>

    >> I am looking at the icons on the toolbar. See this snap shot:
    >>

    >> Anyway, you must have hit a flaw. Closing the mail & newsgroup window
    >> and re-open will cure that.
    >>

    > Mine does not look anything like yours... I believe I am using the
    > default template... not had a chance to experiment.
    >
    > What is the template name that you are suing?

    It is not a template. I did customize the Mail Toolbar; a right mouse
    click on the Tool-bar will show you the possibilities.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  10. Re: Greyed out toolbar buttons

    On 4/6/08 3:55 PM, _Al Lawrence_ spoke thusly:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> Yes. I am looking at the icons on the toolbar. See this snap shot:
    >>

    >> Anyway, you must have hit a flaw. Closing the mail & newsgroup window
    >> and re-open will cure that.

    > Mine does not look anything like yours... I believe I am using the
    > default template... not had a chance to experiment.
    >
    > What is the template name that you are suing?

    That's the Thunderbird default theme on Mac.

    --
    Chris Ilias

  11. Re: Greyed out toolbar buttons

    On 07-04-2008 22:32 CET, Chris Ilias composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 4/6/08 3:55 PM, _Al Lawrence_ spoke thusly:
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>> Yes. I am looking at the icons on the toolbar. See this snap shot:
    >>>

    >>> Anyway, you must have hit a flaw. Closing the mail & newsgroup
    >>> window and re-open will cure that.

    >> Mine does not look anything like yours... I believe I am using the
    >> default template... not had a chance to experiment.
    >>
    >> What is the template name that you are suing?

    > That's the Thunderbird default theme on Mac.

    Confirmed, customized and with some additions from installed extensions
    (such as Cut Once from CMU).

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  12. Re: Greyed out toolbar buttons

    On Apr 6, 8:55 pm, Al Lawrence wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:On 06-04-2008 20:12 CET, Larry Gusaas composed this enchanting statement:On 2008/04/06 11:44 AM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:On 06-04-2008 14:43 CET, Al Lawrence composed this enchanting statement:On the main TB screen there are 2 icons in the toolbar named BACK and FORWARD. They are, and have always been, GREYED out. Would appreciate it if someone would tell me what these buttons are supposed to be used for Thanks in advance!Hmm,I must admit this can be confusing, at first. Clicking on the icon will display the next, or previous, _unread_ message. If they are grey there are no unread messages left to display, at all.However, Back takes you to the previous read message and Forward takes you ahead to a previously read message. Different buttons and different functions than Next and Previous buttons.Yes.I am looking at the icons on the toolbar. See this snap shot:Anyway, you must have hit a flaw. Closing the mail & newsgroup window and re-open will cure that.Mine does not look anything like yours... I believe I am using the default template... not had a chance to experiment.
    > What is the template name that you are suing?

    I believe that the forward and back icons only work if you use the
    message pane. Think of it like using your browser to view webpages.
    Selecting a new unread email and scrolling through them with your
    arrow keys or mouse will enable the back button. Then if you press
    back forward will become available. Hence the browser like behaviour

    Hope that helps.

    Kurt

+ Reply to Thread