Trash folder for Gmail imap - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Trash folder for Gmail imap - Mozilla ; Ok, this is a petty request. Yet it's something that is bugging me I setup the imap access to my gmail account. All works. I configured the TB settings for the account to use the already existing folders in Gmail ...

  1. Trash folder for Gmail imap

    Ok, this is a petty request. Yet it's something that is bugging me

    I setup the imap access to my gmail account. All works. I configured
    the TB settings for the account to use the already existing folders in
    Gmail for Drafts, Sent Mail, & even Spam.

    But how do I get TB to use the existing gmail Trash folder (rather than
    create it's own)?

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

    You always have freedom of choice, but you never have freedom of
    consequence.

  2. Re: Trash folder for Gmail imap

    Chris Barnes wrote:
    > Ok, this is a petty request. Yet it's something that is bugging me
    >
    > I setup the imap access to my gmail account. All works. I configured
    > the TB settings for the account to use the already existing folders in
    > Gmail for Drafts, Sent Mail, & even Spam.
    >

    > But how do I get TB to use the existing gmail Trash folder (rather than
    > create it's own)?

    I found my own answer (should have just tried this from the beginning)
    In the account settings, in Server Settings, I had to click on the
    Advanced button.

    From there, set the "Imap server directory" to be [Gmail]

    (including the brackets)

    Had to restart TB, but once I did, the folder structure was once "flat"
    and it used the existing Trash folder.

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes
    chris@txbarnes.com Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes

    You always have freedom of choice, but you never have freedom of
    consequence.

  3. Re: Trash folder for Gmail imap

    Chris Barnes wrote, on 03/04/2008 6:52 pm:
    > Chris Barnes wrote:
    >> Ok, this is a petty request. Yet it's something that is bugging me
    >>
    >> I setup the imap access to my gmail account. All works. I configured
    >> the TB settings for the account to use the already existing folders in
    >> Gmail for Drafts, Sent Mail, & even Spam.
    >>

    >> But how do I get TB to use the existing gmail Trash folder (rather than
    >> create it's own)?

    > I found my own answer (should have just tried this from the beginning)
    > In the account settings, in Server Settings, I had to click on the
    > Advanced button.
    >
    > From there, set the "Imap server directory" to be [Gmail]
    >
    > (including the brackets)
    >

    > Had to restart TB, but once I did, the folder structure was once "flat"
    > and it used the existing Trash folder.

    Yes, but doesn't this just hide the TB trash folder? And if not, you
    need to be careful because if you delete an email from a Gmail "folder"
    and send it to the Gmail Trash folder, that email will be removed from
    all Gmail folders/labels. I set this up and didn't like the
    ramifications of deleting (although I seem to remember it was more
    complicated than just arranging to see a "flat" folder structure)and
    reverted to the original arrangement with the TB trash folder equating
    to the label Imap/Trash.

    --
    Wilf

  4. Re: Trash folder for Gmail imap

    Wilf wrote, on 03/04/2008 9:03 pm:
    > Chris Barnes wrote, on 03/04/2008 6:52 pm:
    >> Chris Barnes wrote:
    >>> Ok, this is a petty request. Yet it's something that is bugging me
    >>>
    >>> I setup the imap access to my gmail account. All works. I configured
    >>> the TB settings for the account to use the already existing folders in
    >>> Gmail for Drafts, Sent Mail, & even Spam.
    >>>

    >>> But how do I get TB to use the existing gmail Trash folder (rather than
    >>> create it's own)?

    >> I found my own answer (should have just tried this from the beginning)
    >> In the account settings, in Server Settings, I had to click on the
    >> Advanced button.
    >>
    >> From there, set the "Imap server directory" to be [Gmail]
    >>
    >> (including the brackets)
    >>

    >> Had to restart TB, but once I did, the folder structure was once "flat"
    >> and it used the existing Trash folder.
    >>

    > Yes, but doesn't this just hide the TB trash folder? And if not, you
    > need to be careful because if you delete an email from a Gmail "folder"
    > and send it to the Gmail Trash folder, that email will be removed from
    > all Gmail folders/labels. I set this up and didn't like the
    > ramifications of deleting (although I seem to remember it was more
    > complicated than just arranging to see a "flat" folder structure)and
    > reverted to the original arrangement with the TB trash folder equating
    > to the label Imap/Trash.

    Sorry to reply to my own post, but this "flattening" of the structure
    also hides from you any top level Gmail Labels you may have in place.

    --
    Wilf

+ Reply to Thread