A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ??? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ??? - Mozilla ; I have not been able to locate an extension that will create a button that marks the currently selected newsgroup as read. A button that produces the same effect as clicking the "Mark Newsgroup Read" in the right-click context menu, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    I have not been able to locate an extension that will create a button
    that marks the currently selected newsgroup as read. A button that
    produces the same effect as clicking the "Mark Newsgroup Read" in the
    right-click context menu, is what I'm looking for. No more, no less.

    Alternately, is there any way to create a macro that performs the task?

  2. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Gnus2Me wrote:
    > I have not been able to locate an extension that will create a button
    > that marks the currently selected newsgroup as read. A button that
    > produces the same effect as clicking the "Mark Newsgroup Read" in the
    > right-click context menu, is what I'm looking for. No more, no less.
    >
    > Alternately, is there any way to create a macro that performs the task?

    Ctrl+Shift+M ?

    Rinaldi
    --
    A closed mouth gathers no foot.

  3. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    > Gnus2Me wrote:
    >> I have not been able to locate an extension that will create a button
    >> that marks the currently selected newsgroup as read. A button that
    >> produces the same effect as clicking the "Mark Newsgroup Read" in the
    >> right-click context menu, is what I'm looking for. No more, no less.
    >>
    >> Alternately, is there any way to create a macro that performs the task?

    > Ctrl+Shift+M ?
    >
    > Rinaldi

    Didn't work for me... It just minimized TB.

  4. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    > Gnus2Me wrote:
    >> I have not been able to locate an extension that will create a button
    >> that marks the currently selected newsgroup as read. A button that
    >> produces the same effect as clicking the "Mark Newsgroup Read" in the
    >> right-click context menu, is what I'm looking for. No more, no less.
    >>
    >> Alternately, is there any way to create a macro that performs the task?

    > Ctrl+Shift+M ?
    >
    > Rinaldi

    The short-cut "Ctrl+Shift+M" is not correct for the "Mark Newsgroup
    Read" function. However, what I am actually trying to do is to utilize
    a button-bar button to trigger the event. I'm not even sure that macros
    are supported in TB, but it seems that I might be able to use other
    tools to assign a button to the code. I'm still looking.

    Thanks.

  5. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Gnus2Me wrote:
    > I have not been able to locate an extension that will create a button
    > that marks the currently selected newsgroup as read. A button that
    > produces the same effect as clicking the "Mark Newsgroup Read" in the
    > right-click context menu, is what I'm looking for. No more, no less.
    >
    > Alternately, is there any way to create a macro that performs the task?

    on Mac w/OS X, Shift+Command+C works as "Mark All Read". Kind of a "3
    finger salute" I work with left hand, while mousing with right. Not
    clear to me if or how a "button/icon" could be created.

    --reed

  6. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    > Gnus2Me wrote:
    >> I have not been able to locate an extension that will create a button
    >> that marks the currently selected newsgroup as read. A button that
    >> produces the same effect as clicking the "Mark Newsgroup Read" in the
    >> right-click context menu, is what I'm looking for. No more, no less.
    >>
    >> Alternately, is there any way to create a macro that performs the task?

    > Ctrl+Shift+M ?

    I'll bet he's mousebound. No offense to the OP; I'll just bet that's
    the case.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  7. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >> Gnus2Me wrote:
    >>> I have not been able to locate an extension that will create a button
    >>> that marks the currently selected newsgroup as read. A button that
    >>> produces the same effect as clicking the "Mark Newsgroup Read" in the
    >>> right-click context menu, is what I'm looking for. No more, no less.
    >>>
    >>> Alternately, is there any way to create a macro that performs the task?

    >> Ctrl+Shift+M ?

    > I'll bet he's mousebound. No offense to the OP; I'll just bet that's
    > the case.

    You guessed it! I only have partial use of my left hand, or I would use
    the short-cut "ctrl+shift+c".

    I'm experimenting with the "Custom Buttons" extension, to see if I can
    assign the short-cut via code. I need to figure out precisely what that
    extension needs. It looks promising.

  8. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Gnus2Me wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    >>> Ctrl+Shift+M ?

    >> I'll bet he's mousebound. No offense to the OP; I'll just bet that's
    >> the case.
    >>

    > You guessed it! I only have partial use of my left hand, or I would use
    > the short-cut "ctrl+shift+c".
    >
    > I'm experimenting with the "Custom Buttons" extension, to see if I can
    > assign the short-cut via code. I need to figure out precisely what that
    > extension needs. It looks promising.

    Well, the question is answered...and it was a slam-dunk!

    The Custom Buttons2 and Keyconfig extensions did the trick.

    Using Keyconfig, I got the exact code required to apply to a custom
    button. Here it is: "goDoCommand('cmd_markAllRead');". I added an
    image file for the button and and it's good to go. VERY HANDY TOOLS!

  9. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >> Gnus2Me wrote:
    >>> I have not been able to locate an extension that will create a button
    >>> that marks the currently selected newsgroup as read. A button that
    >>> produces the same effect as clicking the "Mark Newsgroup Read" in the
    >>> right-click context menu, is what I'm looking for. No more, no less.
    >>>
    >>> Alternately, is there any way to create a macro that performs the task?

    >> Ctrl+Shift+M ?

    > I'll bet he's mousebound. No offense to the OP; I'll just bet that's
    > the case.

    Sir Svelte Fish:

    You're on linux, does not Ctrl+Shift+M mark all read in TB? It does in
    SM . Perhaps Alt+etc in windows?

    Rinaldi
    --
    It is the business of little minds to shrink.
    -- Carl Sandburg

  10. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Gnus2Me wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    >>> Ctrl+Shift+M ?

    >> I'll bet he's mousebound. No offense to the OP; I'll just bet that's
    >> the case.
    >>

    > You guessed it! I only have partial use of my left hand, or I would use
    > the short-cut "ctrl+shift+c".

    In some of my installed news clients, it's a snap to natively remap
    commands to key combos. Perhaps that can be done with TB, as well...

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  11. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Gnus2Me wrote:
    > Gnus2Me wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> I'll bet he's mousebound. No offense to the OP; I'll just bet that's
    >>> the case.
    >>>

    >> You guessed it! I only have partial use of my left hand, or I would use
    >> the short-cut "ctrl+shift+c".
    >>
    >> I'm experimenting with the "Custom Buttons" extension, to see if I can
    >> assign the short-cut via code. I need to figure out precisely what that
    >> extension needs. It looks promising.

    > Well, the question is answered...and it was a slam-dunk!
    >
    > The Custom Buttons2 and Keyconfig extensions did the trick.
    >
    > Using Keyconfig, I got the exact code required to apply to a custom
    > button. Here it is: "goDoCommand('cmd_markAllRead');". I added an
    > image file for the button and and it's good to go. VERY HANDY TOOLS!

    Bitchin'. Glad you were successful with this.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  12. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Gnus2Me wrote:
    > I have not been able to locate an extension that will create a button
    > that marks the currently selected newsgroup as read. A button that
    > produces the same effect as clicking the "Mark Newsgroup Read" in the
    > right-click context menu, is what I'm looking for. No more, no less.
    >
    > Alternately, is there any way to create a macro that performs the task?

    There is a 'mark all read' button available from an extension by that
    same name. Works only after opening that newsgroup, and displaying the
    headers. After you install the extension, 'customize', and drag the
    'mark all read' button to the toolbar.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  13. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    > Gnus2Me wrote:
    >> I have not been able to locate an extension that will create a button
    >> that marks the currently selected newsgroup as read. A button that
    >> produces the same effect as clicking the "Mark Newsgroup Read" in the
    >> right-click context menu, is what I'm looking for. No more, no less.
    >>
    >> Alternately, is there any way to create a macro that performs the task?

    > Ctrl+Shift+M ?
    >
    > Rinaldi

    Ctrl+Shift+C

  14. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Gnus2Me wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >> Gnus2Me wrote:
    >>> I have not been able to locate an extension that will create a button
    >>> that marks the currently selected newsgroup as read. A button that
    >>> produces the same effect as clicking the "Mark Newsgroup Read" in the
    >>> right-click context menu, is what I'm looking for. No more, no less.
    >>>
    >>> Alternately, is there any way to create a macro that performs the task?

    >> Ctrl+Shift+M ?
    >>
    >> Rinaldi

    > The short-cut "Ctrl+Shift+M" is not correct for the "Mark Newsgroup
    > Read" function. However, what I am actually trying to do is to utilize
    > a button-bar button to trigger the event. I'm not even sure that macros
    > are supported in TB, but it seems that I might be able to use other
    > tools to assign a button to the code. I'm still looking.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Right click on the toolbar and choose "Customize" and drag mark onto the
    toolbar then click ok. Highlight the NG go to Mark and pull down the
    menu and choose "All Read". Note it's the same as Ctrl+Shift+C.

  15. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    >>> Ctrl+Shift+M ?

    >> I'll bet he's mousebound. No offense to the OP; I'll just bet that's
    >> the case.

    > Sir Svelte Fish:

    Here!

    > You're on linux, does not Ctrl+Shift+M mark all read in TB? It does in
    > SM . Perhaps Alt+etc in windows?

    Yes, it does. Now, how does he do Ctrl-Shift-m with his mouse?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  16. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> I'll bet he's mousebound. No offense to the OP; I'll just bet that's
    >>> the case.

    >> Sir Svelte Fish:

    > Here!
    >
    >> You're on linux, does not Ctrl+Shift+M mark all read in TB? It does in
    >> SM . Perhaps Alt+etc in windows?

    > Yes, it does. Now, how does he do Ctrl-Shift-m with his mouse?

    A solution has been discovered!

    In Windows TB, the extensions "Custom Buttons2" and "Keyconfig" allowed
    me to create a button that calls the Windows keyboard shortcut for Mark
    All (Ctrl+Shift+C). Keyconfig told me what the code for the shortcut
    was. The new button works exactly as I had hoped. Thanks!

  17. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> I'll bet he's mousebound. No offense to the OP; I'll just bet that's
    >>> the case.

    >> Sir Svelte Fish:

    > Here!
    >
    >> You're on linux, does not Ctrl+Shift+M mark all read in TB? It does in
    >> SM . Perhaps Alt+etc in windows?

    > Yes, it does. Now, how does he do Ctrl-Shift-m with his mouse?

    Dunno ;-) Maybe there's a version of imwheel for windows?

    Rinaldi
    --
    Earth is a beta site.

  18. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Gnus2Me wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    >>> Sir Svelte Fish:

    >> Here!
    >>
    >>> You're on linux, does not Ctrl+Shift+M mark all read in TB? It does in
    >>> SM . Perhaps Alt+etc in windows?

    >> Yes, it does. Now, how does he do Ctrl-Shift-m with his mouse?
    >>

    > A solution has been discovered!
    >
    > In Windows TB, the extensions "Custom Buttons2" and "Keyconfig" allowed
    > me to create a button that calls the Windows keyboard shortcut for Mark
    > All (Ctrl+Shift+C). Keyconfig told me what the code for the shortcut
    > was. The new button works exactly as I had hoped. Thanks!

    Sweet.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  19. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Right-Click on any message in that newsgroup and a context menu will open.
    Click on "Mark" then click on "All-Read". If there's a quicker way, please let
    me know.

    JR Allas - jrallas@yahoo.com - Crest Hill, IL - USA

    Gnus2Me wrote:
    > I have not been able to locate an extension that will create a button
    > that marks the currently selected newsgroup as read. A button that
    > produces the same effect as clicking the "Mark Newsgroup Read" in the
    > right-click context menu, is what I'm looking for. No more, no less.
    >
    > Alternately, is there any way to create a macro that performs the task?

  20. Re: A "Mark Newsgroup Read" button ???

    Gnus2Me wrote, on 03/04/2008 3:26 am:
    > I have not been able to locate an extension that will create a button
    > that marks the currently selected newsgroup as read. A button that
    > produces the same effect as clicking the "Mark Newsgroup Read" in the
    > right-click context menu, is what I'm looking for. No more, no less.
    >
    > Alternately, is there any way to create a macro that performs the task?

    What I find useful is, in About:Config, to add the preference
    mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp and set it to True. This way, the
    currently selected newsgroup is automatically marked as read whenever
    you move the cursor away from that newsgroup.
    --
    Wilf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast