Filters - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Filters - Mozilla ; I built up a decent sized filter for one of the newsgroups I read. I would like to apply it to all the newsgroups, but I cannot see how to either make it global or to copy and paste it ...

  1. Filters

    I built up a decent sized filter for one of the newsgroups I read. I
    would like to apply it to all the newsgroups, but I cannot see how to
    either make it global or to copy and paste it into the other groups.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Filters

    On 01-04-2008 02:47 CET, sheldonlg composed this enchanting statement:
    > I built up a decent sized filter for one of the newsgroups I read. I
    > would like to apply it to all the newsgroups, but I cannot see how to
    > either make it global or to copy and paste it into the other groups.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    You can select the news server and then create a message filter (for its
    newsgroups), can't you?

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: Filters

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 01-04-2008 02:47 CET, sheldonlg composed this enchanting statement:
    >> I built up a decent sized filter for one of the newsgroups I read. I
    >> would like to apply it to all the newsgroups, but I cannot see how to
    >> either make it global or to copy and paste it into the other groups.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > You can select the news server and then create a message filter (for its
    > newsgroups), can't you?

    If I may interject:

    Yes, that appears to be possible.
    However, per my post earlier today,
    when I set up an account-wide filter for a *newsgroup* server,
    it doesn't seem to actually have any effect.
    (Seems to work fine when I use it for email, though.)

    Also, I think the OP is looking for something a bit more advanced.
    Specifically, while it is (in theory) possible to create a message filter
    that applies to an entire news server,
    the problem described here is that he already has a *large number*
    of filters *already defined* for a particular newsgroup,
    and wants to migrate (as it were) their applicability
    from that newsgroup to the entire news server,
    without (I suspect) having to re-enter all those filters by hand.

    I'm looking at the add-on:

    Thunderbird Message Filter Import/Export

    This appears to facilitate exporting the filters from a newsgroup,
    and then importing to a server.
    But I haven't tried this yet to confirm that it can do that.

  4. Re: Filters

    nearlydeparted wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 01-04-2008 02:47 CET, sheldonlg composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> I built up a decent sized filter for one of the newsgroups I read. I
    >>> would like to apply it to all the newsgroups, but I cannot see how to
    >>> either make it global or to copy and paste it into the other groups.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> You can select the news server and then create a message filter (for
    >> its newsgroups), can't you?

    > If I may interject:
    >
    > Yes, that appears to be possible.
    > However, per my post earlier today,
    > when I set up an account-wide filter for a *newsgroup* server,
    > it doesn't seem to actually have any effect.
    > (Seems to work fine when I use it for email, though.)
    >
    > Also, I think the OP is looking for something a bit more advanced.
    > Specifically, while it is (in theory) possible to create a message filter
    > that applies to an entire news server,
    > the problem described here is that he already has a *large number*
    > of filters *already defined* for a particular newsgroup,
    > and wants to migrate (as it were) their applicability
    > from that newsgroup to the entire news server,
    > without (I suspect) having to re-enter all those filters by hand.
    >
    > I'm looking at the add-on:
    >
    > Thunderbird Message Filter Import/Export
    >
    > This appears to facilitate exporting the filters from a newsgroup,
    > and then importing to a server.
    > But I haven't tried this yet to confirm that it can do that.

    I looked at that. It didn't accept a news server or even a news group
    as a target. They are on the drop-down list, but it doesn't allow
    selection of anything but local folders. I put the filter on the news
    server. Let's see what happens.

  5. Re: Filters

    On 01-04-2008 20:10 CET, sheldonlg composed this enchanting statement:
    > nearlydeparted wrote:
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>> On 01-04-2008 02:47 CET, sheldonlg composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> You can select the news server and then create a message filter (for
    >>> its newsgroups), can't you?

    > I looked at that. It didn't accept a news server or even a news group
    > as a target. They are on the drop-down list, but it doesn't allow
    > selection of anything but local folders. I put the filter on the news
    > server. Let's see what happens.

    I see, you've selected, believe it or not, the (global) inbox for your
    POP *Mail* account(s) in Local Folders.

    I thought you had a problem with defining a filter on a *News* Account.
    Select it that account first, or make sure you have a focus on it!

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  6. Re: Filters

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 01-04-2008 20:10 CET, sheldonlg composed this enchanting statement:
    >> nearlydeparted wrote:

    >> I looked at that. It didn't accept a news server or even a news group
    >> as a target. They are on the drop-down list, but it doesn't allow
    >> selection of anything but local folders. I put the filter on the news
    >> server. Let's see what happens.

    > I see, you've selected, believe it or not, the (global) inbox for your
    > POP *Mail* account(s) in Local Folders.
    >
    > I thought you had a problem with defining a filter on a *News* Account.
    > Select it that account first, or make sure you have a focus on it!

    While in this news group I did Tools/Import Filters. A very small
    window comes up with a drop down menu and an Import Button. I drilled
    down in the dropdown to another news group from a different server.
    when I released the mouse, it reverted to the top of the drop-down menu.
    If, however, I select one of the local folders, the dropdown retains
    focus on that one.

    Then the import button point me to a directory tree where I have to find
    the file to import.

  7. Re: Filters

    On 01-04-2008 23:23 CET, sheldonlg composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >>> I looked at that. It didn't accept a news server or even a news
    >>> group as a target. They are on the drop-down list, but it doesn't
    >>> allow selection of anything but local folders. I put the filter on
    >>> the news server. Let's see what happens.

    >> I see, you've selected, believe it or not, the (global) inbox for
    >> your POP *Mail* account(s) in Local Folders.
    >>
    >> I thought you had a problem with defining a filter on a *News*
    >> Account. Select it that account first, or make sure you have a focus
    >> on it!
    >>

    > While in this news group I did Tools/Import Filters. A very small
    > window comes up with a drop down menu and an Import Button. I drilled
    > down in the dropdown to another news group from a different server.
    > when I released the mouse, it reverted to the top of the drop-down
    > menu. If, however, I select one of the local folders, the dropdown
    > retains focus on that one.
    >
    > Then the import button point me to a directory tree where I have to
    > find the file to import.

    Ah, now the monkey crawls out of the sleeve (a Ducth saying): import of
    filters for a newsgroup is inhibited.

    There is a work around though.

    Exit Tb. Locate the News folder in the user profile and open the news
    group account folder. Then file a 'msgfilter.dat', like this one (or
    your example from a NG):

    version="8"
    logging="yes"
    name="dudes, trolls, etc."
    enabled="yes"
    type="4"
    action="Mark read"
    action="AddTag"
    actionValue="$label1"
    condition="OR (from,is,trollls@gmail.com) OR (from,contains,one troll)
    OR (from,contains,another troll) OR (from,contains,whoiswho) OR
    (from,contains,toilet.@gmail.com)"
    ----------------------------- eof ------------------------------------------
    Btw, my label 1 is white (invisible on a white bg).

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  8. Re: Filters

    * Melchert Fruitema wrote, On 4/2/2008 01:22:
    > On 01-04-2008 23:23 CET, sheldonlg composed this enchanting statement:
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>> On 01-04-2008 20:10 CET, sheldonlg composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> I see, you've selected, believe it or not, the (global) inbox for
    >>> your POP *Mail* account(s) in Local Folders.
    >>>
    >>> I thought you had a problem with defining a filter on a *News*
    >>> Account. Select it that account first, or make sure you have a focus
    >>> on it!
    >>>

    >> While in this news group I did Tools/Import Filters. A very small
    >> window comes up with a drop down menu and an Import Button. I drilled
    >> down in the dropdown to another news group from a different server.
    >> when I released the mouse, it reverted to the top of the drop-down
    >> menu. If, however, I select one of the local folders, the dropdown
    >> retains focus on that one.
    >>
    >> Then the import button point me to a directory tree where I have to
    >> find the file to import.

    > Ah, now the monkey crawls out of the sleeve (a Ducth saying): import of
    > filters for a newsgroup is inhibited.
    >
    > There is a work around though.
    >
    > Exit Tb. Locate the News folder in the user profile and open the news
    > group account folder. Then file a 'msgfilter.dat', like this one (or
    > your example from a NG):
    >
    > version="8"
    > logging="yes"
    > name="dudes, trolls, etc."
    > enabled="yes"
    > type="4"
    > action="Mark read"
    > action="AddTag"
    > actionValue="$label1"
    > condition="OR (from,is,trollls@gmail.com) OR (from,contains,one troll)
    > OR (from,contains,another troll) OR (from,contains,whoiswho) OR
    > (from,contains,toilet.@gmail.com)"
    > ----------------------------- eof
    > Btw, my label 1 is white (invisible on a white bg).

    Curious as to why you "mark as read." In another newsgroup msg I read
    that the spam action should be both "mark as read" and "delete." After
    adding those two, found duplicate entries in the log. So now have
    reverted to only one entry "delete."

    Could you provide an definition of the various possible entries in the
    drop down and why one should be selected over the other? (For instance,
    why not simply use "ignore thread"?
    Miles

  9. Re: Filters

    On 02-04-2008 19:25 CET, Miles composed this enchanting statement:
    > * Melchert Fruitema wrote, On 4/2/2008 01:22:

    >>> While in this news group I did Tools/Import Filters. A very small
    >>> window comes up with a drop down menu and an Import Button. I
    >>> drilled down in the dropdown to another news group from a different
    >>> server. when I released the mouse, it reverted to the top of the
    >>> drop-down menu. If, however, I select one of the local folders, the
    >>> dropdown retains focus on that one.
    >>>
    >>> Then the import button point me to a directory tree where I have to
    >>> find the file to import.

    >> Ah, now the monkey crawls out of the sleeve (a Ducth saying): import
    >> of filters for a newsgroup is inhibited.
    >>
    >> There is a work around though.
    >>
    >> Exit Tb. Locate the News folder in the user profile and open the news
    >> group account folder. Then file a 'msgfilter.dat', like this one (or
    >> your example from a NG):
    >>
    >> version="8"
    >> logging="yes"
    >> name="dudes, trolls, etc."
    >> enabled="yes"
    >> type="4"
    >> action="Mark read"
    >> action="AddTag"
    >> actionValue="$label1"
    >> condition="OR (from,is,trollls@gmail.com) OR (from,contains,one
    >> troll) OR (from,contains,another troll) OR (from,contains,whoiswho)
    >> OR (from,contains,toilet.@gmail.com)"
    >> ----------------------------- eof
    >> Btw, my label 1 is white (invisible on a white bg).
    >>

    > Curious as to why you "mark as read." In another newsgroup msg I
    > read that the spam action should be both "mark as read" and "delete."
    > After adding those two, found duplicate entries in the log. So now
    > have reverted to only one entry "delete."

    It is only an example. In the log every action is recorded, they are not
    exactly duplicates. Have it your way, that's fine, if that works for you.

    > Could you provide an definition of the various possible entries in the
    > drop down and why one should be selected over the other? (For
    > instance, why not simply use "ignore thread"?

    Do you have a problem understanding the possibilities? I believe there
    is a write-up someplace. I'll need to search for it.
    Ignore thread is to drastic for my purpose.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  10. Re: Filters

    On 02-04-2008 19:25 CET, Miles composed this enchanting statement:

    > Could you provide an definition of the various possible entries in the
    > drop down and why one should be selected over the other? (For
    > instance, why not simply use "ignore thread"?

    This knowledge based article may help:

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  11. Re: Filters

    * Melchert Fruitema wrote, On 4/2/2008 14:01:
    > On 02-04-2008 19:25 CET, Miles composed this enchanting statement:
    >>

    >> Could you provide an definition of the various possible entries in the
    >> drop down and why one should be selected over the other? (For
    >> instance, why not simply use "ignore thread"?
    >>

    > This knowledge based article may help:

    Thanks, but didn't find mention of actions on that page nor in a search
    for mozillaZine newsgroup or mail filters.

    One related remark from Irwin in another thread yesterday: Quote

    That should work at both the newsgroup and server levels. Try inserting

  12. Re: Filters

    On 03-04-2008 00:28 CET, Miles composed this enchanting statement:
    > * Melchert Fruitema wrote, On 4/2/2008 14:01:
    >> On 02-04-2008 19:25 CET, Miles composed this enchanting statement:
    >>>

    >>> Could you provide an definition of the various possible entries in
    >>> the drop down and why one should be selected over the other? (For
    >>> instance, why not simply use "ignore thread"?
    >>>

    >> This knowledge based article may help:
    >>

    > Thanks, but didn't find mention of actions on that page nor in a
    > search for mozillaZine newsgroup or mail filters.

    Don't the actions speak for themselves? What are you exactly are you
    looking for, anyway?

    > One related remark from Irwin in another thread yesterday: Quote
    >
    > That should work at both the newsgroup and server levels. Try inserting

    Yes, I've seen that too. What is the outcome of that, do you know?

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  13. Re: Filters

    * Melchert Fruitema wrote, On 4/3/2008 00:59:
    > On 03-04-2008 00:28 CET, Miles composed this enchanting statement:
    >> * Melchert Fruitema wrote, On 4/2/2008 14:01:
    >>> On 02-04-2008 19:25 CET, Miles composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> This knowledge based article may help:
    >>>

    >> Thanks, but didn't find mention of actions on that page nor in a
    >> search for mozillaZine newsgroup or mail filters.

    > Don't the actions speak for themselves? What are you exactly are you
    > looking for, anyway?
    >>
    >> One related remark from Irwin in another thread yesterday: Quote
    >>
    >> That should work at both the newsgroup and server levels. Try inserting

    > Yes, I've seen that too. What is the outcome of that, do you know?

    As you know, nothing more was written in that thread. My only comment
    is that I had noticed two log entries for each msg -- one for mark as
    read and one for delete. However, will quickly add that was only for
    one day and then I removed the mark as read and only left delete. Now
    I've reversed my position and only have mark as read.

    I will further test in one newsgroup with both entries prior to
    additional comment. (rec.photo.digital has more spam than any 10 NG's,
    so will try it there today.
    Miles

  14. Re: Filters

    On 03-04-2008 19:26 CET, Miles composed this enchanting statement:
    > * Melchert Fruitema wrote, On 4/3/2008 00:59:

    >>> Thanks, but didn't find mention of actions on that page nor in a
    >>> search for mozillaZine newsgroup or mail filters.

    >> Don't the actions speak for themselves? What are you exactly are you
    >> looking for, anyway?
    >>>
    >>> One related remark from Irwin in another thread yesterday: Quote
    >>>
    >>> That should work at both the newsgroup and server levels. Try
    >>> inserting

    >> Yes, I've seen that too. What is the outcome of that, do you know?
    >>

    > As you know, nothing more was written in that thread. My only
    > comment is that I had noticed two log entries for each msg -- one for
    > only for one day and then I removed the mark as read and only left
    > delete. Now I've reversed my position and only have mark as read.

    That should suffice, if you want to skip the post.

    > I will further test in one newsgroup with both entries prior to
    > additional comment. (rec.photo.digital has more spam than any 10 NG's,
    > so will try it there today.
    > Miles

    Good. Looking forward to your findings.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  15. Re: Filters

    * Melchert Fruitema wrote, On 4/3/2008 10:37:
    > On 03-04-2008 19:26 CET, Miles composed this enchanting statement:
    >> * Melchert Fruitema wrote, On 4/3/2008 00:59:
    >>> On 03-04-2008 00:28 CET, Miles composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> Yes, I've seen that too. What is the outcome of that, do you know?
    >>>

    >> As you know, nothing more was written in that thread. My only
    >> comment is that I had noticed two log entries for each msg -- one for
    >> only for one day and then I removed the mark as read and only left
    >> delete. Now I've reversed my position and only have mark as read.

    > That should suffice, if you want to skip the post.
    >>
    >> I will further test in one newsgroup with both entries prior to
    >> additional comment. (rec.photo.digital has more spam than any 10 NG's,
    >> so will try it there today.
    >> Miles

    > Good. Looking forward to your findings.

    Confirmed duplicate log entries -- already had about 5 spams with 10
    entries. In fact, it also duplicates (4 entries) if there is a
    duplicate filter such as "gmail.com" and "gmail".

    Would Irwin care to jump in and let us know why he suggests 2 action
    entries?

  16. Re: Filters

    Miles wrote:
    > * Melchert Fruitema wrote, On 4/3/2008 10:37:

    >>> As you know, nothing more was written in that thread. My only
    >>> comment is that I had noticed two log entries for each msg -- one for
    >>> only for one day and then I removed the mark as read and only left
    >>> delete. Now I've reversed my position and only have mark as read.

    >> That should suffice, if you want to skip the post.
    >>>
    >>> I will further test in one newsgroup with both entries prior to
    >>> additional comment. (rec.photo.digital has more spam than any 10
    >>> NG's, so will try it there today.
    >>> Miles

    >> Good. Looking forward to your findings.
    >>

    > Confirmed duplicate log entries -- already had about 5 spams with 10
    > entries. In fact, it also duplicates (4 entries) if there is a
    > duplicate filter such as "gmail.com" and "gmail".
    >
    > Would Irwin care to jump in and let us know why he suggests 2 action
    > entries?

    The theory is that if the message is first marked as read, then deleted,
    it will not show up in the new message count in the folder pane. If you
    only delete, you will see a new message that is not actually there.

    It seems to work fine from here.

    Lee

  17. Re: Filters

    On 4/3/2008 11:23 AM, Miles wrote:
    > * Melchert Fruitema wrote, On 4/3/2008 10:37:

    >>> As you know, nothing more was written in that thread. My only
    >>> comment is that I had noticed two log entries for each msg -- one for
    >>> only for one day and then I removed the mark as read and only left
    >>> delete. Now I've reversed my position and only have mark as read.

    >> That should suffice, if you want to skip the post.
    >>>
    >>> I will further test in one newsgroup with both entries prior to
    >>> additional comment. (rec.photo.digital has more spam than any 10
    >>> NG's, so will try it there today.
    >>> Miles

    >> Good. Looking forward to your findings.
    >>

    > Confirmed duplicate log entries -- already had about 5 spams with 10
    > entries. In fact, it also duplicates (4 entries) if there is a
    > duplicate filter such as "gmail.com" and "gmail".
    >
    > Would Irwin care to jump in and let us know why he suggests 2 action
    > entries?

    I suggested it to see if it solved the OP's problem in that thread;
    never got an answer. My killfile was setup that way a long time ago;
    can't remember why.

    --
    Irwin

  18. Re: Filters

    * Leonidas Jones wrote, On 4/3/2008 17:34:
    > Miles wrote:
    >> * Melchert Fruitema wrote, On 4/3/2008 10:37:
    >>> On 03-04-2008 19:26 CET, Miles composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> That should suffice, if you want to skip the post.

    >>> Good. Looking forward to your findings.
    >>>

    >> Confirmed duplicate log entries -- already had about 5 spams with 10
    >> entries. In fact, it also duplicates (4 entries) if there is a
    >> duplicate filter such as "gmail.com" and "gmail".
    >>
    >> Would Irwin care to jump in and let us know why he suggests 2 action
    >> entries?

    > The theory is that if the message is first marked as read, then deleted,
    > it will not show up in the new message count in the folder pane. If you
    > only delete, you will see a new message that is not actually there.
    >
    > It seems to work fine from here.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks, Lee, however not certain I fully comprehend. For example, I
    just went to a newsgroup with several filters with the action "mark as
    read" which indicated 1 unread msg. Opened the NG and watched the figure
    8 unread flash through and in the next split second it completed showing
    1 unread, which was valid. Went to the log and there were no new
    entries, so there were not 7 msgs to be disposed of. I do not
    understand what the NG was trying to say!

  19. Re: Filters

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Miles wrote:
    >> * Melchert Fruitema wrote, On 4/3/2008 10:37:
    >>> On 03-04-2008 19:26 CET, Miles composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> That should suffice, if you want to skip the post.

    >>> Good. Looking forward to your findings.
    >>>

    >> Confirmed duplicate log entries -- already had about 5 spams with 10
    >> entries. In fact, it also duplicates (4 entries) if there is a
    >> duplicate filter such as "gmail.com" and "gmail".
    >>
    >> Would Irwin care to jump in and let us know why he suggests 2 action
    >> entries?

    > The theory is that if the message is first marked as read, then deleted,
    > it will not show up in the new message count in the folder pane. If you
    > only delete, you will see a new message that is not actually there.
    >
    > It seems to work fine from here.
    >
    > Lee

    I don't know if a 'deleted' message shows up in the new message count as
    I am not nearly meticulous (anal retentive) enough to count messages
    every time just to see if it may be a couple off, or then to explore the
    headers to see if that is the cause. I am amazed that anyone has that
    much time.
    IF it is true that messages filtered to 'delete' DO still appear as new
    messages in the counts, a bug should be filed for this, as it can't
    logically be considered a 'new' message if it doesn't show up in the
    list, can it?

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

+ Reply to Thread