problem retrieving archived email - Mozilla

This is a discussion on problem retrieving archived email - Mozilla ; Last week, I apparently started a brush war on the Firefox NG - I was venting my displeasure with Microsoft keeping changing file associations and other problems. A kind poster told me to go into Control Panel|Add Remove Software and ...

  1. problem retrieving archived email

    Last week, I apparently started a brush war on the Firefox NG - I was
    venting my displeasure with Microsoft keeping changing file associations
    and other problems. A kind poster told me to go into Control Panel|Add
    Remove Software and there are a stack of four buttons on the left side,
    which I had previously ignored.

    Now comes the rub. I have been lecturing my computer club about saving
    emails to the hard drive, which I do as File|Save As|File and put the
    messages in appropriate folders.

    In days of yore, I would troll through the directory to find a message,
    double click, and it would open right up in TB. Tonight I double click -
    nothing. What could I possibly have screwed up now!?

    Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.
    --

    Regards,

    P D Sterling
    New York, Texas & Texas, New York

  2. Re: problem retrieving archived email

    On 28-03-2008 23:52 CET, P D Sterling composed this enchanting statement:
    > Last week, I apparently started a brush war on the Firefox NG - I was
    > venting my displeasure with Microsoft keeping changing file
    > associations and other problems. A kind poster told me to go into
    > Control Panel|Add Remove Software and there are a stack of four
    > buttons on the left side, which I had previously ignored.
    >
    > Now comes the rub. I have been lecturing my computer club about saving
    > emails to the hard drive, which I do as File|Save As|File and put the
    > messages in appropriate folders.
    >
    > In days of yore, I would troll through the directory to find a
    > message, double click, and it would open right up in TB. Tonight I
    > double click - nothing. What could I possibly have screwed up now!?
    >
    > Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

    I have no crystal ball. What do you think happened?

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: problem retrieving archived email

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 28-03-2008 23:52 CET, P D Sterling composed this enchanting statement:
    >> Last week, I apparently started a brush war on the Firefox NG - I was
    >> venting my displeasure with Microsoft keeping changing file
    >> associations and other problems. A kind poster told me to go into
    >> Control Panel|Add Remove Software and there are a stack of four
    >> buttons on the left side, which I had previously ignored.
    >>
    >> Now comes the rub. I have been lecturing my computer club about saving
    >> emails to the hard drive, which I do as File|Save As|File and put the
    >> messages in appropriate folders.
    >>
    >> In days of yore, I would troll through the directory to find a
    >> message, double click, and it would open right up in TB. Tonight I
    >> double click - nothing. What could I possibly have screwed up now!?
    >>
    >> Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

    > I have no crystal ball. What do you think happened?

    I don't see a pattern. Since a double click on a saved .eml file opens
    TB, why doesn't it open my message? Am I corrupted?? WTF is my message?
    I mean, I saved it because I wanted to keep it; now I need it and all I
    am getting is headaches! Well, anything you can think up would be
    appreciated.
    --
    Regards,

    P D Sterling
    New York, Texas & Texas, New York

  4. Re: problem retrieving archived email

    On 3/29/2008 8:31 AM, P D Sterling wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 28-03-2008 23:52 CET, P D Sterling composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> Last week, I apparently started a brush war on the Firefox NG - I was
    >>> venting my displeasure with Microsoft keeping changing file
    >>> associations and other problems. A kind poster told me to go into
    >>> Control Panel|Add Remove Software and there are a stack of four
    >>> buttons on the left side, which I had previously ignored.
    >>>
    >>> Now comes the rub. I have been lecturing my computer club about
    >>> saving emails to the hard drive, which I do as File|Save As|File and
    >>> put the messages in appropriate folders.
    >>>
    >>> In days of yore, I would troll through the directory to find a
    >>> message, double click, and it would open right up in TB. Tonight I
    >>> double click - nothing. What could I possibly have screwed up now!?
    >>>
    >>> Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

    >> I have no crystal ball. What do you think happened?
    >>

    > I don't see a pattern. Since a double click on a saved .eml file opens
    > TB, why doesn't it open my message? Am I corrupted?? WTF is my message?
    > I mean, I saved it because I wanted to keep it; now I need it and all I
    > am getting is headaches! Well, anything you can think up would be
    > appreciated.

    Right-click the .eml file and choose "Open with". Select "Choose program...".
    Select Mozilla Thunderbird (should be listed at the top of the box with Outlook
    Express or other email programs, if not browse for thunderbird.exe). Make sure
    "[x] Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is checked.

    My _guess_ is that a Windows update hijacked the default email selection but did
    not completely update all registry entries. For me, Thunderbird sometimes has
    to ask to be set as default email program after a Windows update.

    IMHO a simpler approach would be to create an archive folder in Thunderbird
    under Local Folders. You could have several (Archive2006, Archive2007 etc.)
    These would not only be easier to access but easier to back up.

    --
    G. R. Woodring

+ Reply to Thread