No TRASH Folder - Mozilla

This is a discussion on No TRASH Folder - Mozilla ; Hi Just converted from OE to TBird & amazed how good TBird is. Have managed to solve most "problems" (differences) but am having difficulty re deleted messages. I can delete a message & un-delete it but where are ALL the ...

  1. No TRASH Folder

    Hi

    Just converted from OE to TBird & amazed how good TBird is.
    Have managed to solve most "problems" (differences) but am having
    difficulty re deleted messages.
    I can delete a message & un-delete it but where are ALL the deleted msgs
    ? - There is no TRASH folder visable !
    I do have a DELETED folder which contains deleted items from OE but
    not from my local folders.

    Any help much appreciated.

    Brian

  2. Re: No TRASH Folder

    On 27-03-2008 15:20 CET, Brian Benster composed this enchanting statement:
    > Hi
    >
    > Just converted from OE to TBird & amazed how good TBird is.
    > Have managed to solve most "problems" (differences) but am having
    > difficulty re deleted messages.
    > I can delete a message & un-delete it but where are ALL the deleted
    > msgs ? - There is no TRASH folder visable !
    > I do have a DELETED folder which contains deleted items from OE but
    > not from my local folders.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.

    I guess you're referring to your IMAP account's Inbox. You've got the
    right setting for delete: that is, mark it as deleted. You don't need
    the trash in that case. When you compact (see File or context menu) the
    Inbox the messages that were marked as deleted are removed form the box
    and from the server!

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: No TRASH Folder

    Hi Melchert

    My accounts are POP, not IMAP.

    I cannot "see" what I am un-deleting  -  that is the problem. Should I be able to see a list of deleted emails ?
    Currently, if I delete some emails, I can  "undo delete message" & they come back 1 by 1. So if I remember that it was say 5 "deletes" back I'm ok, but if I can't remember when it was deleted, then I'm lost !
    Maybe this is the way TB works ?

    Thanks, Brian

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    On 27-03-2008 15:20 CET, Brian Benster composed this enchanting statement:

    Hi Just converted from OE to TBird & amazed how good TBird is. Have managed to solve most "problems" (differences) but am having difficulty re deleted messages. I can delete a message & un-delete it but where are ALL the deleted msgs ? - There is no TRASH folder visable ! I do have a DELETED folder which contains deleted items from OE but not from my local folders. Any help much appreciated.

    I guess you're referring to your IMAP account's Inbox. You've got the right setting for delete: that is, mark it as deleted. You don't need the trash in that case. When you compact (see File or context menu) the Inbox the messages that were marked as deleted are removed form the box and from the server!

  4. Re: No TRASH Folder

    On 28-03-2008 21:55 CET, Brian Benster composed this enchanting statement:

    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 27-03-2008 15:20 CET, Brian Benster composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Just converted from OE to TBird & amazed how good TBird is.
    >>> Have managed to solve most "problems" (differences) but am having
    >>> difficulty re deleted messages.
    >>> I can delete a message & un-delete it but where are ALL the deleted
    >>> msgs ? - There is no TRASH folder visable !
    >>> I do have a DELETED folder which contains deleted items from OE but
    >>> not from my local folders.
    >>>
    >>> Any help much appreciated.
    >>>

    >> I guess you're referring to your IMAP account's Inbox. You've got the
    >> right setting for delete: that is, mark it as deleted. You don't need
    >> the trash in that case. When you compact (see File or context menu) the
    >> Inbox the messages that were marked as deleted are removed form the box
    >> and from the server!
    >>

    > --------- your reply which is here ------------- <<<====!====<<<<<<<
    > Hi Melchert
    >
    > My accounts are POP, not IMAP.

    That will change my view on the problem stated. My comments related to
    IMAP need to be ignored.

    > I cannot "see" what I am un-deleting - that is the problem. Should

    I be able to see a list of deleted emails ?

    With POP, you would still be able to see the deleted messages, when you
    located and browse the appropriate mail folder. After compact of the
    folder they are definitely gone.

    >Currently, if I delete some emails, I can "undo delete message" &

    they come back 1 by 1. So if I remember that it was say 5 "deletes" back
    I'm ok, but if I can't remember when it was deleted, then I'm lost !
    Maybe this is the way TB works ?

    Yes.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  5. Re: No TRASH Folder

    On 3/28/2008 6:43 PM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 28-03-2008 21:55 CET, Brian Benster composed this enchanting statement:
    >>

    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>> On 27-03-2008 15:20 CET, Brian Benster composed this enchanting
    >>> statement:

    >>> I guess you're referring to your IMAP account's Inbox. You've got the
    >>> right setting for delete: that is, mark it as deleted. You don't need
    >>> the trash in that case. When you compact (see File or context menu)
    >>> the Inbox the messages that were marked as deleted are removed form
    >>> the box and from the server!
    >>>

    > > --------- your reply which is here ------------- <<<====!====<<<<<<<
    > > Hi Melchert
    > >
    > > My accounts are POP, not IMAP.

    > That will change my view on the problem stated. My comments related to
    > IMAP need to be ignored.
    >
    > > I cannot "see" what I am un-deleting - that is the problem. Should

    > I be able to see a list of deleted emails ?
    >
    > With POP, you would still be able to see the deleted messages, when you
    > located and browse the appropriate mail folder. After compact of the
    > folder they are definitely gone.
    >
    > >Currently, if I delete some emails, I can "undo delete message" &

    > they come back 1 by 1. So if I remember that it was say 5 "deletes" back
    > I'm ok, but if I can't remember when it was deleted, then I'm lost !
    > Maybe this is the way TB works ?
    >
    > Yes.

    Shouldn't Thunderbird have created a Trash folder for his account the
    first time he deleted an email? Mine did. What setting does he have to
    change to make Thunderbird create a trash folder? I've looked through
    the my account settings and my options and I can't figure out where to
    set that.
    Dave Pyles

  6. Re: No TRASH Folder

    On 29-03-2008 01:12 CET, David Pyles composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 3/28/2008 6:43 PM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 28-03-2008 21:55 CET, Brian Benster composed this enchanting
    >> statement:

    >> > --------- your reply which is here ------------- <<<====!====<<<<<<<
    >> > Hi Melchert
    >> >
    >> > My accounts are POP, not IMAP.

    >> That will change my view on the problem stated. My comments related
    >> to IMAP need to be ignored.
    >>
    >> > I cannot "see" what I am un-deleting - that is the problem.

    >> Should I be able to see a list of deleted emails ?
    >>
    >> With POP, you would still be able to see the deleted messages, when
    >> you located and browse the appropriate mail folder. After compact of
    >> the folder they are definitely gone.
    >>
    >> >Currently, if I delete some emails, I can "undo delete message" &

    >> they come back 1 by 1. So if I remember that it was say 5 "deletes"
    >> back I'm ok, but if I can't remember when it was deleted, then I'm
    >> lost ! Maybe this is the way TB works ?
    >>
    >> Yes.
    >>

    > Shouldn't Thunderbird have created a Trash folder for his account the
    > first time he deleted an email? Mine did. What setting does he have
    > to change to make Thunderbird create a trash folder? I've looked
    > through the my account settings and my options and I can't figure out
    > where to set that.
    > Dave Pyles

    Yes, you are right on that. I'm puzzled here too.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  7. Re: No TRASH Folder

    On 3/28/2008 8:12 PM, David Pyles wrote:
    > On 3/28/2008 6:43 PM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 28-03-2008 21:55 CET, Brian Benster composed this enchanting
    >> statement:

    >> > --------- your reply which is here ------------- <<<====!====<<<<<<<
    >> > Hi Melchert
    >> >
    >> > My accounts are POP, not IMAP.

    >> That will change my view on the problem stated. My comments related to
    >> IMAP need to be ignored.
    >>
    >> > I cannot "see" what I am un-deleting - that is the problem.

    >> Should I be able to see a list of deleted emails ?
    >>
    >> With POP, you would still be able to see the deleted messages, when
    >> you located and browse the appropriate mail folder. After compact of
    >> the folder they are definitely gone.
    >>
    >> >Currently, if I delete some emails, I can "undo delete message" &

    >> they come back 1 by 1. So if I remember that it was say 5 "deletes"
    >> back I'm ok, but if I can't remember when it was deleted, then I'm
    >> lost ! Maybe this is the way TB works ?
    >>
    >> Yes.
    >>

    > Shouldn't Thunderbird have created a Trash folder for his account the
    > first time he deleted an email? Mine did. What setting does he have to
    > change to make Thunderbird create a trash folder? I've looked through
    > the my account settings and my options and I can't figure out where to
    > set that.
    > Dave Pyles

    Another possibility is that your the Trash folder disappeared during an
    aborted "Compact Folders." See this page:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Nstmp_folders

    With Thunderbird closed try a search of your hard disc for files names
    "nstmp" (no quotes) and delete them and maybe your Trash folder will
    reappear.
    Dave Pyles

  8. Re: No TRASH Folder

    On 29-03-2008 01:36 CET, David Pyles composed this enchanting statement:

    Sounds like magic to me. :-)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  9. Re: No TRASH Folder

    On 3/28/2008 8:41 PM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 29-03-2008 01:36 CET, David Pyles composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> Shouldn't Thunderbird have created a Trash folder for his account the
    >>> first time he deleted an email? Mine did. What setting does he have
    >>> to change to make Thunderbird create a trash folder? I've looked
    >>> through the my account settings and my options and I can't figure out
    >>> where to set that.
    >>> Dave Pyles

    >> Another possibility is that your the Trash folder disappeared during
    >> an aborted "Compact Folders." See this page:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Nstmp_folders
    >>
    >> With Thunderbird closed try a search of your hard disc for files names
    >> "nstmp" (no quotes) and delete them and maybe your Trash folder will
    >> reappear.
    >> Dave Pyles

    > Sounds like magic to me. :-)

    I believe in magic, particularly since, with Thunderbird closed,
    deleting those orphaned temp folders can't hurt anything, since
    Thunderbird should have deleted them in the first place.
    Dave

  10. Re: No TRASH Folder

    On 29-03-2008 01:51 CET, David Pyles composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 3/28/2008 8:41 PM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >>> Another possibility is that your the Trash folder disappeared during
    >>> an aborted "Compact Folders." See this page:
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Nstmp_folders
    >>>
    >>> With Thunderbird closed try a search of your hard disc for files
    >>> names "nstmp" (no quotes) and delete them and maybe your Trash
    >>> folder will reappear.
    >>>

    >> Sounds like magic to me. :-)
    >>

    > I believe in magic, particularly since, with Thunderbird closed,
    > deleting those orphaned temp folders can't hurt anything, since
    > Thunderbird should have deleted them in the first place.

    I'm utterly against the idea that end user should fiddle with
    application data files! You may to advise them to install Thunderplunge.
    Try it, you'll love it.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  11. Re: No TRASH Folder

    <please bottom post. Your reply has been moved accordingly!> Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    On 27-03-2008 15:20 CET, Brian Benster composed this enchanting statement:

    Hi Just converted from OE to TBird & amazed how good TBird is. Have managed to solve most "problems" (differences) but am having difficulty re deleted messages. I can delete a message & un-delete it but where are ALL the deleted msgs ? - There is no TRASH folder visable ! I do have a DELETED folder which contains deleted items from OE but not from my local folders. Any help much appreciated.

    I guess you're referring to your IMAP account's Inbox. You've got the right setting for delete: that is, mark it as deleted. You don't need the trash in that case. When you compact (see File or context menu) the Inbox the messages that were marked as deleted are removed form the box and from the server!

    > --------- your reply which is here ------------- <<<====!====<<<<<<< > Hi Melchert > > My accounts are POP, not IMAP. That will change my view on the problem stated. My comments related to IMAP need to be ignored. > I cannot "see" what I am un-deleting - that is the problem. Should I be able to see a list of deleted emails ? With POP, you would still be able to see the deleted messages, when you located and browse the appropriate mail folder. After compact of the folder they are definitely gone. >Currently, if I delete some emails, I can "undo delete message" & they come back 1 by 1. So if I remember that it was say 5 "deletes" back I'm ok, but if I can't remember when it was deleted, then I'm lost ! Maybe this is the way TB works ? Yes.

    Shouldn't Thunderbird have created a Trash folder for his account the first time he deleted an email? Mine did. What setting does he have to change to make Thunderbird create a trash folder? I've looked through the my account settings and my options and I can't figure out where to set that. Dave Pyles

    Another possibility is that your the Trash folder disappeared during an aborted "Compact Folders." See this page: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Nstmp_folders With Thunderbird closed try a search of your hard disc for files names "nstmp" (no quotes) and delete them and maybe your Trash folder will reappear.

    Sounds like magic to me. :-)

    I believe in magic, particularly since, with Thunderbird closed, deleting those orphaned temp folders can't hurt anything, since Thunderbird should have deleted them in the first place.

    I'm utterly against the idea that end user should fiddle with application data files! You may to advise them to install Thunderplunge. Try it, you'll love it.

    Hi & thanks for the suggestions but no luck yet I'm afraid

    a) I have not yet compacted any folders (so don't think I could have aborted this operation)

    b)searching does not find ANY "nstmp" files (no quotes)

    c) (Does his help ?), - I know I have a TRASH folder 'cos when I copy my files (in order to make a backup, it is 1 of the larger files that are copied.

    Thanks, Brian.

  12. Re: No TRASH Folder

    On 3/28/2008 10:40 PM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 29-03-2008 01:51 CET, David Pyles composed this enchanting statement:
    >> On 3/28/2008 8:41 PM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>> On 29-03-2008 01:36 CET, David Pyles composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> Sounds like magic to me. :-)
    >>>

    >> I believe in magic, particularly since, with Thunderbird closed,
    >> deleting those orphaned temp folders can't hurt anything, since
    >> Thunderbird should have deleted them in the first place.
    >>

    > I'm utterly against the idea that end user should fiddle with
    > application data files! You may to advise them to install Thunderplunge.
    > Try it, you'll love it.

    Thunder plunger might do the job. I do have it installed and use it
    mainly to remove "orphaned" messages in news groups.
    Dave Pyles

  13. Re: No TRASH Folder

    On 29-03-2008 09:10 CET, Brian Benster composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    > >> I believe in magic, particularly since, with Thunderbird closed,
    > >> deleting those orphaned temp folders can't hurt anything, since
    > >> Thunderbird should have deleted them in the first place.
    > >>

    > > I'm utterly against the idea that end user should fiddle with
    > > application data files! You may advise them to install Thunderplunge.
    > > Try it, you'll love it.
    > >

    > Hi & thanks for the suggestions but no luck yet I'm afraid
    >
    > a) I have not yet compacted any folders (so don't think I could have aborted this operation)
    >
    > b) searching does not find ANY "nstmp" files (no quotes)
    >
    > c) (Does his help ?), - I know I have a TRASH folder 'cos when I copy my files (in order to make a backup, it is 1 of the larger files that are copied.

    May be, the trash folder got marked invisible (hidden away by a fairy).

    Don't expect magic, my wand is stored in the attic. ;-)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert