Best way to save copies of emails? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Best way to save copies of emails? - Mozilla ; On 25-03-2008 20:42 CET, RF composed this enchanting statement: > I have had a few crashes in the past 5 years and I was able > to recover only a small fraction of the TBird emails. > > I want ...

  1. Re: Best way to save copies of emails?

    On 25-03-2008 20:42 CET, RF composed this enchanting statement:
    > I have had a few crashes in the past 5 years and I was able
    > to recover only a small fraction of the TBird emails.
    >
    > I want to save the emails in a mode that takes the least effort
    > and does not require Tbird to recover - like individual files.
    >
    > Suggestions appreciated.

    First of all, save your POP mail in Local Folders. IMAP mail is kept at
    the server usually, unless you have a different view on that.

    Secondly, make a regular back-up of your Local Folders (and Mail Account
    folders, if you like).
    Consider using either Mozbackup, or a convenient system utility, at hand.

    You can restore the folders, as necessary, later. Be prepared,
    familiarize yourself with restoring data and test its procedure.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  2. Best way to save copies of emails?

    I have had a few crashes in the past 5 years and I was able
    to recover only a small fraction of the TBird emails.

    I want to save the emails in a mode that takes the least effort
    and does not require Tbird to recover - like individual files.

    Suggestions appreciated.

    TIA

    RF

  3. Re: Best way to save copies of emails?

    On 25-03-2008 23:08 CET, RF composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 25-03-2008 20:42 CET, RF composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> I have had a few crashes in the past 5 years and I was able
    >>> to recover only a small fraction of the TBird emails.
    >>>
    >>> I want to save the emails in a mode that takes the least effort
    >>> and does not require Tbird to recover - like individual files.
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions appreciated.
    >>>

    >> First of all, save your POP mail in Local Folders. IMAP mail is kept
    >> at the server usually, unless you have a different view on that.
    >>
    >> Secondly, make a regular back-up of your Local Folders (and Mail
    >> Account folders, if you like).
    >> Consider using either Mozbackup, or a convenient system utility, at
    >> hand.
    >>
    >> You can restore the folders, as necessary, later. Be prepared,
    >> familiarize yourself with restoring data and test its procedure.

    > Thanks again Melchert
    >
    > I do keep most of the emails in folders. When I take them out of TB,
    > I would not want to bring them back. The further they are from TB, the
    > more confidence I have in their survival

    Sure, but are the messages, stored away from Tb, in a 'readable' format?
    Backups usually need to be restored to become readable again. (Do not
    confuse this with Archiving.)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  4. Re: Best way to save copies of emails?

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 25-03-2008 20:42 CET, RF composed this enchanting statement:
    >> I have had a few crashes in the past 5 years and I was able
    >> to recover only a small fraction of the TBird emails.
    >>
    >> I want to save the emails in a mode that takes the least effort
    >> and does not require Tbird to recover - like individual files.
    >>
    >> Suggestions appreciated.
    >>

    > First of all, save your POP mail in Local Folders. IMAP mail is kept at
    > the server usually, unless you have a different view on that.
    >
    > Secondly, make a regular back-up of your Local Folders (and Mail Account
    > folders, if you like).
    > Consider using either Mozbackup, or a convenient system utility, at hand.
    >
    > You can restore the folders, as necessary, later. Be prepared,
    > familiarize yourself with restoring data and test its procedure.

    Thanks again Melchert

    I do keep most of the emails in folders. When I take them
    out of TB,
    I would not want to bring them back. The further they are
    from TB, the
    more confidence I have in their survival

    I know I can highlight all the files in any folder and paste
    them into a text
    file but the legibility is very poor.

  5. Re: Best way to save copies of emails?

    RF has written on 3/25/2008 6:08 PM:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 25-03-2008 20:42 CET, RF composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> I have had a few crashes in the past 5 years and I was able
    >>> to recover only a small fraction of the TBird emails.
    >>>
    >>> I want to save the emails in a mode that takes the least effort
    >>> and does not require Tbird to recover - like individual files.
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions appreciated.
    >>>

    >> First of all, save your POP mail in Local Folders. IMAP mail is kept at
    >> the server usually, unless you have a different view on that.
    >>
    >> Secondly, make a regular back-up of your Local Folders (and Mail Account
    >> folders, if you like).
    >> Consider using either Mozbackup, or a convenient system utility, at hand.
    >>
    >> You can restore the folders, as necessary, later. Be prepared,
    >> familiarize yourself with restoring data and test its procedure.

    > Thanks again Melchert
    >
    > I do keep most of the emails in folders. When I take them
    > out of TB, I would not want to bring them back. The further they are
    > from TB, the more confidence I have in their survival
    >
    > I know I can highlight all the files in any folder and paste
    > them into a text file but the legibility is very poor.

    Are you asking for a way to save your email files so they can be opened
    in a different application?

    And are you saying that the legibility is poor because you can see the
    headers as well as the bodies of all messages?

  6. Re: Best way to save copies of emails?

    RF wrote:
    > I have had a few crashes in the past 5 years and I was able
    > to recover only a small fraction of the TBird emails.
    >
    > I want to save the emails in a mode that takes the least effort
    > and does not require Tbird to recover - like individual files.
    >
    > Suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > RF

    If you have it (Acrobat), can you not print them to PDF format? One of
    the best things about Outlook was that Acrobat installed a plug
    in so you could archive the messages - and they are searchable too..

  7. Re: Best way to save copies of emails?

    RF wrote:
    > I have had a few crashes in the past 5 years and I was able
    > to recover only a small fraction of the TBird emails.
    >
    > I want to save the emails in a mode that takes the least effort
    > and does not require Tbird to recover - like individual files.
    >
    > Suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > RF

    I've gotten in the habit of File/SaveAs, File, then adding a date to the
    Subject line as a filename. I do it periodically to clean out my inbox.

    Beege

  8. Re: Best way to save copies of emails?

    > RF wrote:
    >> I have had a few crashes in the past 5 years and I was able
    >> to recover only a small fraction of the TBird emails.
    >>
    >> I want to save the emails in a mode that takes the least effort
    >> and does not require Tbird to recover - like individual files.
    >>
    >> Suggestions appreciated.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> RF

    ImportExportTools (MboxImport enhanced) has worked well for me. Also
    allows archiving a folder into a single file.

    https://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

    --csc

  9. Re: Best way to save copies of emails?

    RF wrote:
    > I have had a few crashes in the past 5 years and I was able
    > to recover only a small fraction of the TBird emails.
    >
    > I want to save the emails in a mode that takes the least effort
    > and does not require Tbird to recover - like individual files.
    >
    > Suggestions appreciated.

    After tons of email and changing email software here and there,
    sometimes using several email programs for different purposes at the
    same time, my solution is to have an IMAP server running on my laptop.

    (Currently, I'm using Archiveopteryx and I can't imagine a better choice
    at the moment.)

    Backup for me works by backing up the Postgresql database (Postgresql's
    automatic incremental backup is really nice, too!) - for other IMAP
    servers it's probably just copying the files.

    First of all, I've seen Thunderbird and other software's folder files
    becoming corrupted - if that happens now, I just delete the cache and
    reload stuff via IMAP. After what I've seen, I've developed good trust
    in Postgresql to retain a consistent database even if my computer should
    crash. Second, I know that whatever comes, if my requirements change for
    handling email, IMAP will work for me - whatever software I have to use.
    Plus, I've some features like enforced retention of deleted email for a
    specified period of time out of the box ;-) Even full text indexing via
    Postgresql extensions - searching my 60000+ emails feels OK then, again.

    My 2cents.

    Maximilian

  10. Re: Best way to save copies of emails?

    csc-comcast wrote:
    >> RF wrote:
    >>> I have had a few crashes in the past 5 years and I was able
    >>> to recover only a small fraction of the TBird emails.
    >>>
    >>> I want to save the emails in a mode that takes the least effort
    >>> and does not require Tbird to recover - like individual files.
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> RF

    > ImportExportTools (MboxImport enhanced) has worked well for me. Also
    > allows archiving a folder into a single file.
    >
    > https://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html
    >
    > --csc

    Thanks CSC. This is a great tool and installs and runs very
    easily.
    For those contemplating using it, you can save your emails
    in many formats
    like txt, html. etc wherever you wish in your computer.

    Has anyone noticed that many computer progs come out of Germany?
    For those of you in the dark, the .de means Deutschland =
    Germany.

  11. Re: Best way to save copies of emails?

    RF wrote:
    > csc-comcast wrote:

    >> ImportExportTools (MboxImport enhanced) has worked well for me. Also
    >> allows archiving a folder into a single file.
    >>
    >> https://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html
    >>
    >> --csc

    > Thanks CSC. This is a great tool and installs and runs very
    > easily.
    > For those contemplating using it, you can save your emails
    > in many formats
    > like txt, html. etc wherever you wish in your computer.
    >
    > Has anyone noticed that many computer progs come out of Germany?
    > For those of you in the dark, the .de means Deutschland =
    > Germany.

    I use Mozilla-Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (20071022) and backup my entire ~/Mail
    folder. To copy the mail to another computer (laptop usually) I just
    copy the ~/Mail and ~/.mozilla-thunderbird folders to the laptop.
    While I'm away I set the server to not delete messages.

    I'm interested in mboximport but have not yet used it.
    Can you tell me how mboximport would be a more secure way of saving and
    restoring the mail files?

    Larry

  12. Re: Best way to save copies of emails?

    Larry Alkoff wrote:
    > RF wrote:

    >>> ImportExportTools (MboxImport enhanced) has worked well for me. Also
    >>> allows archiving a folder into a single file.
    >>>
    >>> https://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html
    >>>
    >>> --csc

    >> Thanks CSC. This is a great tool and installs and runs very easily.
    >> For those contemplating using it, you can save your emails in many
    >> formats
    >> like txt, html. etc wherever you wish in your computer.
    >>
    >> Has anyone noticed that many computer progs come out of Germany?
    >> For those of you in the dark, the .de means Deutschland = Germany.

    > I use Mozilla-Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (20071022) and backup my entire ~/Mail
    > folder. To copy the mail to another computer (laptop usually) I just
    > copy the ~/Mail and ~/.mozilla-thunderbird folders to the laptop.
    > While I'm away I set the server to not delete messages.
    >
    > I'm interested in mboximport but have not yet used it.
    > Can you tell me how mboximport would be a more secure way of saving and
    > restoring the mail files?
    >
    > Larry

    The files are no longer attached to TBird and, in my
    opinion, they are much safer.
    I have had a few computer crashes and was not able to
    recover all the emails.
    You don't need to restore them in TBird.

  13. Re: Best way to save copies of emails?

    RF wrote:
    > Larry Alkoff wrote:
    >> RF wrote:

    >>> Thanks CSC. This is a great tool and installs and runs very easily.
    >>> For those contemplating using it, you can save your emails in many
    >>> formats
    >>> like txt, html. etc wherever you wish in your computer.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone noticed that many computer progs come out of Germany?
    >>> For those of you in the dark, the .de means Deutschland = Germany.

    >> I use Mozilla-Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (20071022) and backup my entire ~/Mail
    >> folder. To copy the mail to another computer (laptop usually) I just
    >> copy the ~/Mail and ~/.mozilla-thunderbird folders to the laptop.
    >> While I'm away I set the server to not delete messages.
    >>
    >> I'm interested in mboximport but have not yet used it.
    >> Can you tell me how mboximport would be a more secure way of saving and
    >> restoring the mail files?
    >>
    >> Larry

    > The files are no longer attached to TBird and, in my
    > opinion, they are much safer.
    > I have had a few computer crashes and was not able to
    > recover all the emails.
    > You don't need to restore them in TBird.

    Just in case someone else has the same interest, I might mention that my
    own purpose is to divorce my permanent archives from any platform. I'm a
    writer and I save everything I send or receive, and I have to ensure it
    will transfer easily from computer to computer, year after year. Have
    been doing this since I began emailing in 1996.

    No attachments, just the emails, in plaintext. They've become a living
    journal of sorts. I often wonder what I'd learn about my
    great-great-grandparents if I could peek into the daily trivia of their
    lives.

    Some folks I mention this to just groan, say they'd rather not have
    everything they write remembered. Well, being a writer, I kinda do hope
    it's remembered, by someone.

    --csc

  14. Re: Best way to save copies of emails?

    csc-comcast wrote:

    > RF wrote:
    >> Larry Alkoff wrote:

    >>> I use Mozilla-Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (20071022) and backup my entire
    >>> ~/Mail folder. To copy the mail to another computer (laptop
    >>> usually) I just copy the ~/Mail and ~/.mozilla-thunderbird folders
    >>> to the laptop.
    >>> While I'm away I set the server to not delete messages.
    >>>
    >>> I'm interested in mboximport but have not yet used it.
    >>> Can you tell me how mboximport would be a more secure way of saving
    >>> and restoring the mail files?
    >>>
    >>> Larry

    >> The files are no longer attached to TBird and, in my opinion, they
    >> are much safer.
    >> I have had a few computer crashes and was not able to recover all the
    >> emails.
    >> You don't need to restore them in TBird.

    > Just in case someone else has the same interest, I might mention that
    > my own purpose is to divorce my permanent archives from any platform.
    > I'm a writer and I save everything I send or receive, and I have to
    > ensure it will transfer easily from computer to computer, year after
    > year. Have been doing this since I began emailing in 1996.
    >
    > No attachments, just the emails, in plaintext. They've become a living
    > journal of sorts. I often wonder what I'd learn about my
    > great-great-grandparents if I could peek into the daily trivia of
    > their lives.
    >
    > Some folks I mention this to just groan, say they'd rather not have
    > everything they write remembered. Well, being a writer, I kinda do
    > hope it's remembered, by someone.
    >
    > --csc

    also could be
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...y/0/2887/21107