Can receive emails but not send - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Can receive emails but not send - Mozilla ; Robert M Jones wrote: > Miles wrote: >> * Robert M Jones wrote, On 3/26/2008 02:42: >>> RF wrote: >>>> Hi Experts, >>>> >>>> For about a year I have had no problem with >>>> sending/receiving emails with my 2.0.0.12 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Can receive emails but not send

    Robert M Jones wrote:
> [...]
    >>> and has generated an enormous amount of confusion for an incredible
    >>> number of customers as it seems to have been done without much in the
    >>> way of announcement or warning.
    >>> So anyone using a private domain addressor an alternate ISP address
    >>> in the FROM field, who is using the vanilla ISP default smtp servers
    >>> to send, is getting a 533 error message.
    >>>
    >>> For an email like TB which by default uses a common default smtp
    >>> server for all mail accounts unless you set up extra ones, this has
    >>> resulted in a lot of 533 error messages lot of customers.
    >>> My own UK ISP which is Yahoo linked, hadn't a clue what was going on,
    >>> and the support advice has been hopeless but they have eventually
    >>> cottoned on to what was happening.
    >>>

    >> Thank you for the link and that has partially fixed my difficulties.
    >> This started last week and when I called my ISP they said the only
    >> solution would be to use different accounts for each address in TB,
    >> which I do not want to do, merely use the drop down "from" window.
    >>
    >> However, Yahoo's fix is limited. It only allows one additional
    >> address and I have two aliases. The first alias now works, but the
    >> 3rd will not.
    >>
    >> quote
    >> Sometimes one email address isn't enough. Need an extra one for work,
    >> school, or family? Yahoo! Mail lets you create one extra email address
    >> for free. Use it exactly like your primary address, and get messages
    >> sent to both addresses delivered to one Inbox. Remember though, you
    >> can only get one extra mail address for your account. unquote
    >>
    >> Have sent 4 test msgs with the 2nd alias and none will go through. In
    >> TB 2.0.0.12 don't see the 533 error msg, merely see an error msg that
    >> the address was not verified and to check the address, etc.
    >>
    >> Now would like to know what Yahoo has up their sleeve to allow more
    >> than one alias????
    >>
    >> Miles

    > It is quite confusing if someone has only the default smtp server - it
    > isn't immediately obvious where another one can be inserted when you are
    > in an individual account and looking at the Outgoing Server box in the
    > Account Settings window for a given account. But of course in the
    > Outgoing Server window there is the option to add another smtp server
    > username and server address - and once you have done that, a drop down
    > appears in the Outgoing Server windows in the individual Account
    > Settings opening window making switching servers quite simple.
    >
    > for any BTYahoo! customers (or other Yahoo related ISP customers who
    > might be affected) there are some userfriendly instructions I had a hand
    > in writing here
    > http://www.andyweb.co.uk/shortcuts/smtperror553.htm
    > they may not exactly fit your particular webmail interface if you are
    > not a BT customer but they might help you understand the yahoo page itself,
    > http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...ndfrom-07.html
    > and they also contain some hints for setting up individual common email

    I have read somewhere in the instructions that adding more
    than one SMTP server can lead to problems. I am running
    SBCGlobal emails and Hotmails on one server

  2. Re: Can receive emails but not send

    Miles wrote:
> [...]

    > Before reading your email I found in Yahoo's website the field to add
    > alternate email addresses in my account and put the two addition there
    > and they are working fine. Prior had never looked closely at their web
    > page because I scarcely ever use their website -- only when traveling
    > and my thumb drive fails, which isn't very often.
    >
    > Then read your email and also added the two to TB's outgoing server as
    > you suggest, and it continues to work fine. Presumably that will cover
    > me in the event Yahoo again makes changes without notification (as usual).
    >
    > Also I'll call my ISP's tech service and let them know of Yahoo and your
    > methods to fix this. (however since, ATT doesn't support TB they may
    > not be interested -- I have told 2nd level tech to tell their superiors
    > to get in touch with the real world and support the growing TB mail
    > client -- many agree as they use FF & TB!

    I have had support from AT&T in the past week. However, what
    they told
    me was useless.

  3. Re: Can receive emails but not send

    Miles wrote:
> [...]

    > which I do not want to do, merely use the drop down "from" window.
    >
    > However, Yahoo's fix is limited. It only allows one additional address
    > and I have two aliases. The first alias now works, but the 3rd will not.
    >
    > quote
    > Sometimes one email address isn't enough. Need an extra one for work,
    > school, or family? Yahoo! Mail lets you create one extra email address
    > for free. Use it exactly like your primary address, and get messages
    > sent to both addresses delivered to one Inbox. Remember though, you can
    > only get one extra mail address for your account. unquote
    >
    > Have sent 4 test msgs with the 2nd alias and none will go through. In
    > TB 2.0.0.12 don't see the 533 error msg, merely see an error msg that
    > the address was not verified and to check the address, etc.
    >
    > Now would like to know what Yahoo has up their sleeve to allow more than

    You can verify up to 10 FROM addresses in any BTYahoo account. Not sure
    what your ISP policy is. I'm not sure that the quote you gave was about
    verifying FROM addresses but I could be wrong.

    When I talk about verifying a FROM address in a Yahoo email account, I
    mean telling your Yahoo account about up to 10 OTHER addresses (already
    existing ones - hotmail, gmail, another ISP, other Yahoo addresses,
    domain addresses) that you want to use as FROM addresses when sending
    email from your Yahoo email account.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

  4. Re: Can receive emails but not send

    RF wrote:
    > Miles wrote:
    >> * Robert M Jones wrote, On 3/26/2008 10:14:

    >>> It is quite confusing if someone has only the default smtp server -
    >>> it isn't immediately obvious where another one can be inserted when
    >>> you are in an individual account and looking at the Outgoing Server
    >>> box in the Account Settings window for a given account. But of course
    >>> in the Outgoing Server window there is the option to add another smtp
    >>> server username and server address - and once you have done that, a
    >>> drop down appears in the Outgoing Server windows in the individual
    >>> Account Settings opening window making switching servers quite simple.
    >>>
    >>> for any BTYahoo! customers (or other Yahoo related ISP customers who
    >>> might be affected) there are some userfriendly instructions I had a
    >>> hand in writing here
    >>> http://www.andyweb.co.uk/shortcuts/smtperror553.htm
    >>> they may not exactly fit your particular webmail interface if you are
    >>> not a BT customer but they might help you understand the yahoo page
    >>> itself,
    >>> http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...ndfrom-07.html
    >>> and they also contain some hints for setting up individual common
    >>> email clients.
    >>>
    >>> Please spread these 2 urls around!
    >>>

    >> Before reading your email I found in Yahoo's website the field to add
    >> alternate email addresses in my account and put the two addition there
    >> and they are working fine. Prior had never looked closely at their
    >> web page because I scarcely ever use their website -- only when
    >> traveling and my thumb drive fails, which isn't very often.
    >>
    >> Then read your email and also added the two to TB's outgoing server as
    >> you suggest, and it continues to work fine. Presumably that will cover
    >> me in the event Yahoo again makes changes without notification (as
    >> usual).
    >>
    >> Also I'll call my ISP's tech service and let them know of Yahoo and
    >> your methods to fix this. (however since, ATT doesn't support TB they
    >> may not be interested -- I have told 2nd level tech to tell their
    >> superiors to get in touch with the real world and support the growing
    >> TB mail client -- many agree as they use FF & TB!
    >> Miles

    > I have had support from AT&T in the past week. However, what they told
    > me was useless.

    Guess what guys?

    This crappy TBird has again stopped sending except for one
    email address,
    with absolutely no interference from me.

    The calendar died a month back

    Any suggestions for a far simpler and more reliable email prog?

  5. Re: Can receive emails but not send

    Miles wrote:
> [...]

    > Before reading your email I found in Yahoo's website the field to add
    > alternate email addresses in my account and put the two addition there
    > and they are working fine. Prior had never looked closely at their web
    > page because I scarcely ever use their website -- only when traveling
    > and my thumb drive fails, which isn't very often.
    >
    > Then read your email and also added the two to TB's outgoing server as
    > you suggest, and it continues to work fine. Presumably that will cover
    > me in the event Yahoo again makes changes without notification (as usual).
    >
    > Also I'll call my ISP's tech service and let them know of Yahoo and your
    > methods to fix this. (however since, ATT doesn't support TB they may
    > not be interested -- I have told 2nd level tech to tell their superiors
    > to get in touch with the real world and support the growing TB mail
    > client -- many agree as they use FF & TB!

    Did you see my post of 25th? That descriibes how I "fixed"
    the problem.
    However, it worked beautifully until last night and now it's
    back in the hole
    again.

  6. Re: Can receive emails but not send

    Robert M Jones wrote:
> [...]

    >> can only get one extra mail address for your account. unquote
    >>
    >> Have sent 4 test msgs with the 2nd alias and none will go through. In
    >> TB 2.0.0.12 don't see the 533 error msg, merely see an error msg that
    >> the address was not verified and to check the address, etc.
    >>
    >> Now would like to know what Yahoo has up their sleeve to allow more
    >> than one alias????
    >>
    >> Miles

    > You can verify up to 10 FROM addresses in any BTYahoo account. Not sure
    > what your ISP policy is. I'm not sure that the quote you gave was about
    > verifying FROM addresses but I could be wrong.
    >
    > When I talk about verifying a FROM address in a Yahoo email account, I
    > mean telling your Yahoo account about up to 10 OTHER addresses (already
    > existing ones - hotmail, gmail, another ISP, other Yahoo addresses,
    > domain addresses) that you want to use as FROM addresses when sending

    I have tried to set up with Yahoo Message Services. I can send from
    Yahoo to TB but I can not sent from TB. I somehow got my record for smtp
    deleted from TB Password Manager and TB keeps asking for my password
    over and over. How to I add an smtp server record back into Password
    Manager? How do I use my TB address

  7. Re: Can receive emails but not send