Drag-and-drop attachments - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Drag-and-drop attachments - Mozilla ; It appears that until a 1st attachment is included in new mail via that Attach file browser, and the "Attachments:" sub-pane is opened, that no drag-and-drop of files to attach is functionally possible. Dragging a file icon to the body ...

  1. Drag-and-drop attachments

    It appears that until a 1st attachment is included in new mail via that
    Attach file browser, and the "Attachments:" sub-pane is opened, that no
    drag-and-drop of files to attach is functionally possible. Dragging a
    file icon to the body of the new message simply inserts a 'local' URL to
    the file.

    Is it possible to have the "Attachments:" subpane open with each new
    message (ie; always there when a new message is started)?

  2. Re: Drag-and-drop attachments

    On 3/16/08 6:16 AM, _User 1001_ spoke thusly:
    > It appears that until a 1st attachment is included in new mail via that
    > Attach file browser, and the "Attachments:" sub-pane is opened, that no
    > drag-and-drop of files to attach is functionally possible. Dragging a
    > file icon to the body of the new message simply inserts a 'local' URL to
    > the file.
    >
    > Is it possible to have the "Attachments:" subpane open with each new
    > message (ie; always there when a new message is started)?

    Drag and drop of attachments should still work. The "Attachments" box
    will automatically open, if you drag a file to that area.
    --
    Chris Ilias

  3. Re: Drag-and-drop attachments, & Editing Attachments

    User 1001 wrote:
    > It appears that until a 1st attachment is included in new mail via that
    > Attach file browser, and the "Attachments:" sub-pane is opened, that no
    > drag-and-drop of files to attach is functionally possible. Dragging a
    > file icon to the body of the new message simply inserts a 'local' URL to
    > the file.
    >
    > Is it possible to have the "Attachments:" subpane open with each new
    > message (ie; always there when a new message is started)?

    This is not exactly on the same subject, but, it has to do with
    Attachments. When I used the old Netscape Mail Handling program, it
    provided me the ability to Edit Attachments, e.g. to delete previous
    senders addresses and text within the attachment. Now with Mozilla's
    Thunderbird, I can't edit the attachments at all and when I Forward
    messages, all previous person's addresses go with it, which I don't like
    doing.
    Is there a way that Thunderbird can be set up to allow me to delete
    these addresses as well as modify the text of the messaget ? Oh yea,
    modify includes changing the Font's size, boldness, color, etc. which I
    too was able to do in Netscape's Mail Handling program. In Thunderbird,
    I can't even modify my own out going text. Can you help me...??

  4. Re: Drag-and-drop attachments

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > On 3/16/08 6:16 AM, _User 1001_ spoke thusly:
    >> It appears that until a 1st attachment is included in new mail via that
    >> Attach file browser, and the "Attachments:" sub-pane is opened, that no
    >> drag-and-drop of files to attach is functionally possible. Dragging a
    >> file icon to the body of the new message simply inserts a 'local' URL to
    >> the file.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to have the "Attachments:" subpane open with each new
    >> message (ie; always there when a new message is started)?

    > Drag and drop of attachments should still work. The "Attachments" box
    > will automatically open, if you drag a file to that area.

    True - once the Attachements box appears, you can drag file icons to it
    to have their source files included as an attachment. However, beFORE
    the "Atachments:" box is present, dropping any icon on the compose
    window results in just inserting a URL for what that icon represents.
    The intent of this question is to ascertain whether it is possible to
    OPEN the Attachments box as a part of the normal/usual Compose window
    without first having used the Attach pull-down menu to insert an
    attachment. In other words, IF the Attachments subpane (whatever) was
    open when the Compose window was FIRST opened, then one could drop
    anything into it and completely avoid the Attach pull-down menu item.

  5. Re: Drag-and-drop attachments

    On 3/18/08 12:25 AM, _User 1001_ spoke thusly:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> On 3/16/08 6:16 AM, _User 1001_ spoke thusly:
    >>> It appears that until a 1st attachment is included in new mail via that
    >>> Attach file browser, and the "Attachments:" sub-pane is opened, that no
    >>> drag-and-drop of files to attach is functionally possible. Dragging a
    >>> file icon to the body of the new message simply inserts a 'local' URL to
    >>> the file.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to have the "Attachments:" subpane open with each new
    >>> message (ie; always there when a new message is started)?

    >> Drag and drop of attachments should still work. The "Attachments" box
    >> will automatically open, if you drag a file to that area.

    > True - once the Attachements box appears, you can drag file icons to it
    > to have their source files included as an attachment. However, beFORE
    > the "Atachments:" box is present, dropping any icon on the compose
    > window results in just inserting a URL for what that icon represents.
    > The intent of this question is to ascertain whether it is possible to
    > OPEN the Attachments box as a part of the normal/usual Compose window
    > without first having used the Attach pull-down menu to insert an
    > attachment. In other words, IF the Attachments subpane (whatever) was
    > open when the Compose window was FIRST opened, then one could drop
    > anything into it and completely avoid the Attach pull-down menu item.

    Have you tried dragging to the area where the Attachment box would be,
    not in the message body?
    --
    Chris Ilias

  6. Re: Drag-and-drop attachments, & Editing Attachments

    *-* On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:24:37 -0700,
    *-* In Article o9ydnSmBoYfFNEPanZ2dnUVZ_r2nnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* user@domain.invalid wrote
    *-* About Re: Drag-and-drop attachments, & Editing Attachments

    [ ... ]

    > This is not exactly on the same subject, but, it has to do with
    > Attachments. When I used the old Netscape Mail Handling program, it
    > provided me the ability to Edit Attachments, e.g. to delete previous
    > senders addresses and text within the attachment. Now with Mozilla's
    > Thunderbird, I can't edit the attachments at all and when I Forward
    > messages, all previous person's addresses go with it, which I don't
    > like doing.
    > Is there a way that Thunderbird can be set up to allow me to delete
    > these addresses as well as modify the text of the messaget ?
    > Oh yea, modify includes changing the Font's size, boldness, color,
    > etc. which I too was able to do in Netscape's Mail Handling program.
    > In Thunderbird, I can't even modify my own out going text. Can you
    > help me...??

    Tools --> Options --> Composition --> [General tab]

    Set the "Forward messages:" option to "Inline". Be advised that if
    you're attempting to forward a message containing embedded (not
    attached) images that Thunderbird has issues with that combination.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  7. Re: Drag-and-drop attachments

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > On 3/18/08 12:25 AM, _User 1001_ spoke thusly:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> On 3/16/08 6:16 AM, _User 1001_ spoke thusly:

    >>> Drag and drop of attachments should still work. The "Attachments" box
    >>> will automatically open, if you drag a file to that area.

    >> True - once the Attachements box appears, you can drag file icons to it
    >> to have their source files included as an attachment. However, beFORE
    >> the "Atachments:" box is present, dropping any icon on the compose
    >> window results in just inserting a URL for what that icon represents.
    >> The intent of this question is to ascertain whether it is possible to
    >> OPEN the Attachments box as a part of the normal/usual Compose window
    >> without first having used the Attach pull-down menu to insert an
    >> attachment. In other words, IF the Attachments subpane (whatever) was
    >> open when the Compose window was FIRST opened, then one could drop
    >> anything into it and completely avoid the Attach pull-down menu item.

    > Have you tried dragging to the area where the Attachment box would be,
    > not in the message body?

    Not before but I have now! EeeYOW!!! You are correct! Drop a file icon
    where the "Attachments:" pane would normally be located, and it
    magically appears!!??!! I wish that this was documented somewhere as I
    spent a fair amount of time going through Mozillazine and Google to no
    avail. Sur l'autre cote (on the other hand) - "thanks a million". This
    will help tremendously!

  8. Re: Drag-and-drop attachments

    In article <0KudnTm_xcL8y3_anZ2dnUVZ_tzinZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    supraexpress@globaleyes.net says...
    > Not before but I have now! EeeYOW!!! You are correct! Drop a file icon
    > where the "Attachments:" pane would normally be located, and it
    > magically appears!!??!!

    I don't think this is discoverable enough, and documenting it is not
    much better. I only discovered it accidentally.
    Someone was apparently paranoid about the terrible wastage of space
    putting an empty attachments box would be, but I think that attachments
    are very common and this is just silly.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and