Two WINDOWS Users Revisited - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Two WINDOWS Users Revisited - Mozilla ; Let me see if I can explain this better this time around. I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine with Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 installed with many email accounts (IDs?), and I have two concerns. Looking at prefs. js of one ...

  1. Two WINDOWS Users Revisited

    Let me see if I can explain this better this time around.

    I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine with Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 installed
    with many email accounts (IDs?), and I have two concerns.

    Looking at prefs.js of one of the users --

    C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Pete%20Holsberg/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/pfssecp6.default/prefs.js

    I see things like

    user_pref("mail.server.server18.directory", "C:\\Documents and
    Settings\\Pete Holsberg\\Application
    Data\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\pfssecp6.default\\Mai l\\pete.holsberg-gmail");

    and

    user_pref("mail.server.server21.directory", "C:\\Documents and
    Settings\\pjh\\Application
    Data\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\default\\n74lggs8.slt \\Mail\\pop.gmail.com");

    That is, account 18 uses the "Pete Holsberg" Windows user while account
    21 uses "pjh".

    My first question is, what's the easiest way to get them all to use
    "pjh"? Can I edit prefs.js in "pjh"? What do I do with the prefs.js in
    "Pete Holsberg"? Und so weiter. :-)

    Question 2 has to do with the names of the folders used. You can see
    that I changed account 18's to a more meaningful name --
    pete.holsberg-gmail -- while account 21 remains with what TB assigned,
    the mysterious pop.gmail.com, not very useful if you have several gmail
    accounts.

    Again, what's the simplest way to make the changes?

    Thanks.

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    That's OK; I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway
    --Anonymous Bumper Sticker

  2. Re: Two WINDOWS Users Revisited

    On 3/15/2008 12:17 PM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Let me see if I can explain this better this time around.

    ??? What was the first time around?

    > I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine with Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 installed
    > with many email accounts (IDs?), and I have two concerns.
    >
    > Looking at prefs.js of one of the users --
    >
    > C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Pete%20Holsberg/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/pfssecp6.default/prefs.js
    >

    > I see things like
    >
    > user_pref("mail.server.server18.directory", "C:\\Documents and
    > Settings\\Pete Holsberg\\Application
    > Data\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\pfssecp6.default\\Mai l\\pete.holsberg-gmail");
    >
    > and
    >
    > user_pref("mail.server.server21.directory", "C:\\Documents and
    > Settings\\pjh\\Application
    > Data\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\default\\n74lggs8.slt \\Mail\\pop.gmail.com");
    >
    > That is, account 18 uses the "Pete Holsberg" Windows user while account
    > 21 uses "pjh".
    >
    > My first question is, what's the easiest way to get them all to use
    > "pjh"? Can I edit prefs.js in "pjh"? What do I do with the prefs.js in
    > "Pete Holsberg"? Und so weiter. :-)
    >
    > Question 2 has to do with the names of the folders used. You can see
    > that I changed account 18's to a more meaningful name --
    > pete.holsberg-gmail -- while account 21 remains with what TB assigned,
    > the mysterious pop.gmail.com, not very useful if you have several gmail
    > accounts.
    >
    > Again, what's the simplest way to make the changes?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Click on the first account. click on "View settings for this account" At the
    top of the settings page is "Account Name: ", change it to what you want. While
    still on the settings page click on "Server Settings" (below the account name in
    the left pane). At the bottom of the right pane is "Local Directory: ", set it
    to point to the directory you want to use. It doesn't have to be a
    Thunderbird profile directory, you could put them under:
    "C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Thunderbird%20Mail"

    You can now do this for all accounts you want to change by just going down the
    list in the left pane and repeating the above. Click "OK" when done.

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  3. Re: Two WINDOWS Users Revisited

    G. R. Woodring has written on 3/15/2008 12:47 PM:
    > On 3/15/2008 12:17 PM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >> I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine with Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 installed
    >> with many email accounts (IDs?), and I have two concerns.
    >>
    >> Looking at prefs.js of one of the users --
    >>
    >> C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Pete%20Holsberg/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/pfssecp6.default/prefs.js
    >>

    >> I see things like
    >>
    >> user_pref("mail.server.server18.directory", "C:\\Documents and
    >> Settings\\Pete Holsberg\\Application
    >> Data\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\pfssecp6.default\\Mai l\\pete.holsberg-gmail");
    >>
    >> and
    >>
    >> user_pref("mail.server.server21.directory", "C:\\Documents and
    >> Settings\\pjh\\Application
    >> Data\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\default\\n74lggs8.slt \\Mail\\pop.gmail.com");
    >>
    >> That is, account 18 uses the "Pete Holsberg" Windows user while account
    >> 21 uses "pjh".
    >>
    >> My first question is, what's the easiest way to get them all to use
    >> "pjh"? Can I edit prefs.js in "pjh"? What do I do with the prefs.js in
    >> "Pete Holsberg"? Und so weiter. :-)
    >>
    >> Question 2 has to do with the names of the folders used. You can see
    >> that I changed account 18's to a more meaningful name --
    >> pete.holsberg-gmail -- while account 21 remains with what TB assigned,
    >> the mysterious pop.gmail.com, not very useful if you have several gmail
    >> accounts.
    >>
    >> Again, what's the simplest way to make the changes?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Click on the first account. click on "View settings for this account"
    > At the
    > top of the settings page is "Account Name: ", change it to what you
    > want. While
    > still on the settings page click on "Server Settings" (below the
    > account name in
    > the left pane). At the bottom of the right pane is "Local Directory:
    > ", set it
    > to point to the directory you want to use. It doesn't have to be a
    > Thunderbird profile directory, you could put them under:
    > "C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Thunderbird%20Mail"
    >
    > You can now do this for all accounts you want to change by just going
    > down the
    > list in the left pane and repeating the above. Click "OK" when done.

    I'm not sure why you suggest changing the account name. AFAIK, the
    account name has nothing to do with the folder name.

    Your suggestion of changing each local directory would be an easy
    solution for one or two accounts, but I have many.

    And after I make those changes, don't I have to move the files?

    Thanks.

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather --
    not screaming like the passengers in his car.
    --Author Unknown

  4. Re: Two WINDOWS Users Revisited

    On 3/15/2008 1:02 PM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > G. R. Woodring has written on 3/15/2008 12:47 PM:
    >> On 3/15/2008 12:17 PM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>> I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine with Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 installed
    >>> with many email accounts (IDs?), and I have two concerns.
    >>>
    >>> Looking at prefs.js of one of the users --
    >>>
    >>> C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Pete%20Holsberg/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/pfssecp6.default/prefs.js
    >>>

    >>> I see things like
    >>>
    >>> user_pref("mail.server.server18.directory", "C:\\Documents and
    >>> Settings\\Pete Holsberg\\Application
    >>> Data\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\pfssecp6.default\\Mai l\\pete.holsberg-gmail");
    >>>

    >>> and
    >>>
    >>> user_pref("mail.server.server21.directory", "C:\\Documents and
    >>> Settings\\pjh\\Application
    >>> Data\\Thunderbird\\Profiles\\default\\n74lggs8.slt \\Mail\\pop.gmail.com");
    >>>

    >>> That is, account 18 uses the "Pete Holsberg" Windows user while account
    >>> 21 uses "pjh".
    >>>
    >>> My first question is, what's the easiest way to get them all to use
    >>> "pjh"? Can I edit prefs.js in "pjh"? What do I do with the prefs.js in
    >>> "Pete Holsberg"? Und so weiter. :-)
    >>>
    >>> Question 2 has to do with the names of the folders used. You can see
    >>> that I changed account 18's to a more meaningful name --
    >>> pete.holsberg-gmail -- while account 21 remains with what TB assigned,
    >>> the mysterious pop.gmail.com, not very useful if you have several gmail
    >>> accounts.
    >>>
    >>> Again, what's the simplest way to make the changes?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Click on the first account. click on "View settings for this account"
    >> At the
    >> top of the settings page is "Account Name: ", change it to what you
    >> want. While
    >> still on the settings page click on "Server Settings" (below the
    >> account name in
    >> the left pane). At the bottom of the right pane is "Local Directory:
    >> ", set it
    >> to point to the directory you want to use. It doesn't have to be a
    >> Thunderbird profile directory, you could put them under:
    >> "C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Thunderbird%20Mail"
    >>
    >> You can now do this for all accounts you want to change by just going
    >> down the
    >> list in the left pane and repeating the above. Click "OK" when done.

    > I'm not sure why you suggest changing the account name. AFAIK, the
    > account name has nothing to do with the folder name.

    The Account Name at the top of the Account Settings page is what is displayed in
    the account list pane in the Thunderbird window.

    > Your suggestion of changing each local directory would be an easy
    > solution for one or two accounts, but I have many.

    You could change one then highlight it and hit Ctrl-C, then in each account's
    Local Directory box, triple-click to select all then Ctrl-V to paste.

    > And after I make those changes, don't I have to move the files?

    Well... yes. Maybe the first step would be to create an archive folder in
    "Local Folders" then drag any mail you are sure to need to that folder. After
    resetting the folder locations, you can then move other mails as needed or when
    time permits.

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  5. Re: Two WINDOWS Users Revisited

    G. R. Woodring has written on 3/15/2008 1:46 PM:

    >> I'm not sure why you suggest changing the account name. AFAIK, the
    >> account name has nothing to do with the folder name.

    > The Account Name at the top of the Account Settings page is what is
    > displayed in
    > the account list pane in the Thunderbird window.

    But has nothing to do with the name of the folder. Occasionally, I need
    to visit a folder to delete an MSF file or two, and a meaningful folder
    name would be nice.

    >> Your suggestion of changing each local directory would be an easy
    >> solution for one or two accounts, but I have many.

    > You could change one then highlight it and hit Ctrl-C, then in each
    > account's
    > Local Directory box, triple-click to select all then Ctrl-V to paste.

    And then every account would have the same local directory.

    >> And after I make those changes, don't I have to move the files?
    >>

    > Well... yes. Maybe the first step would be to create an archive folder in
    > "Local Folders" then drag any mail you are sure to need to that
    > folder. After
    > resetting the folder locations, you can then move other mails as
    > needed or when
    > time permits.

    Thanks.

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Senility Prayer
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the
    good fortune to run into the ones that I do, and the eyesight to tell
    the difference.

+ Reply to Thread