TB2 - Search Message by Reference - MessageID Finder - Mozilla

This is a discussion on TB2 - Search Message by Reference - MessageID Finder - Mozilla ; I am trying to get "MessageID Finder functionality" in Thunderbird 2. I want to be able to trace newsgroup threads backwards by clicking on the Message Reference numbers in the header. Mnehny and MessageID Finder did this quite well up ...

  1. TB2 - Search Message by Reference - MessageID Finder

    I am trying to get "MessageID Finder functionality" in Thunderbird 2. I
    want to be able to trace newsgroup threads backwards by clicking on the
    Message Reference numbers in the header. Mnehny and MessageID Finder
    did this quite well up until Thunderbird 1.5, but MessageID Finder is
    not compatible with Thunderbird 2.

    I have already opened install.rdf (in the jar file) and updated
    MaxVersion (as I saw suggested a couple of months ago), but today when I
    used MessageID Finder by right clicking on a message reference number
    and searching in the correct newsgroup, I did, indeed, get the
    referenced message, but the headers frame completely disappeared (no
    headers) and I could not get it back for any other message (newsgroup or
    mailbox) until I restarted Thunderbird.

    So .... I guess it really does not work (without "side effects") in
    Thunderbird 2.

    Is there any other way to get this functionality I have come to depend
    on ever since Netscape 4 included it by default?

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

  2. Re: TB2 - Search Message by Reference - MessageID Finder

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > I am trying to get "MessageID Finder functionality" in Thunderbird 2. I
    > want to be able to trace newsgroup threads backwards by clicking on the
    > Message Reference numbers in the header. Mnehny and MessageID Finder
    > did this quite well up until Thunderbird 1.5, but MessageID Finder is
    > not compatible with Thunderbird 2.
    > I have already opened install.rdf (in the jar file) and updated
    > MaxVersion (as I saw suggested a couple of months ago), but today when I
    > used MessageID Finder by right clicking on a message reference number
    > and searching in the correct newsgroup, I did, indeed, get the
    > referenced message, but the headers frame completely disappeared (no
    > headers) and I could not get it back for any other message (newsgroup or
    > mailbox) until I restarted Thunderbird.
    >
    > So .... I guess it really does not work (without "side effects") in
    > Thunderbird 2.
    >
    > Is there any other way to get this functionality I have come to depend
    > on ever since Netscape 4 included it by default?

    References have been added to TB trunk, but I have never been able to get them to work as well as with NN4
    Possibly because I run multiple builds of TB

    If you are leery of running a nightly trunk build, there might be an actual Thunderbird 3.0alpha1 release soon.
    A fairly safe way to preview TB3

    I'll announce it here if it comes to pass.
    --
    JoeS

  3. Re: TB2 - Search Message by Reference - MessageID Finder

    On 12-03-2008 01:09 CET, Chuck Anderson composed this enchanting statement:
    > I am trying to get "MessageID Finder functionality" in Thunderbird 2.
    > I want to be able to trace newsgroup threads backwards by clicking on
    > the Message Reference numbers in the header. Mnehny and MessageID
    > Finder did this quite well up until Thunderbird 1.5, but MessageID
    > Finder is not compatible with Thunderbird 2.
    > I have already opened install.rdf (in the jar file) and updated
    > MaxVersion (as I saw suggested a couple of months ago), but today when
    > I used MessageID Finder by right clicking on a message reference
    > number and searching in the correct newsgroup, I did, indeed, get the
    > referenced message, but the headers frame completely disappeared (no
    > headers) and I could not get it back for any other message (newsgroup
    > or mailbox) until I restarted Thunderbird.
    >
    > So .... I guess it really does not work (without "side effects") in
    > Thunderbird 2.
    >
    > Is there any other way to get this functionality I have come to depend
    > on ever since Netscape 4 included it by default?

    Same here.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert