Messages appearing as duplicates of other messages - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Messages appearing as duplicates of other messages - Mozilla ; I've recently been encountering a problem with my IMAP mail account, where new messages to my inbox appear as if they are copies of messages that are already there - they have the same subject, sender, time and date. All ...

  1. Messages appearing as duplicates of other messages

    I've recently been encountering a problem with my IMAP mail account,
    where new messages to my inbox appear as if they are copies of
    messages that are already there - they have the same subject, sender,
    time and date.

    All the messages are visible if I access my mailbox via Outlook, and
    appear normally once moved out of the inbox.

    The problem occurs intermittently, sometimes it is the oldest email in
    the inbox which appears to be duplicated, other times it seems quite
    random, I've not been able to spot a pattern.

    I've tried clearing out my inbox and reinstalling Thunderbird (I'm
    running the latest version, 2.0.0.12)

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Paul

  2. Re: Messages appearing as duplicates of other messages

    On 11-03-2008 11:04 CET, itspaulkelly composed this enchanting statement:
    > I've recently been encountering a problem with my IMAP mail account,
    > where new messages to my inbox appear as if they are copies of
    > messages that are already there - they have the same subject, sender,
    > time and date.

    Are you keeping all message in the inbox? Any message filters? Is
    adaptive Junk Mail Control enabled?
    > All the messages are visible if I access my mailbox via Outlook, and
    > appear normally once moved out of the inbox.

    I do not understand what you mean by 'and appear normally once moved out
    of the Inbox'?
    > The problem occurs intermittently, sometimes it is the oldest email in
    > the inbox which appears to be duplicated, other times it seems quite
    > random, I've not been able to spot a pattern.
    >
    > I've tried clearing out my inbox and reinstalling Thunderbird (I'm
    > running the latest version, 2.0.0.12)

    Reinstalling Thunderbird does not solve this or any other problem with
    your data, contained in your Tb user profile.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: Messages appearing as duplicates of other messages

    On 11 Mar, 20:16, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 11-03-2008 11:04 CET, itspaulkelly composed this enchanting statement:
    >
    > > I've recently been encountering a problem with my IMAP mail account,
    > > where new messages to my inbox appear as if they are copies of
    > > messages that are already there - they have the same subject, sender,
    > > time and date.

    > Are you keeping all message in the inbox? Any message filters? Is
    > adaptive Junk Mail Control enabled?

    I keep an empty inbox, the only messages in there are ones that are
    waiting to be read.
    I use one filter, to move messages from a specific mailing list
    directly to another folder.
    Adaptive junk mail control is enabled.

    > > All the messages are visible if I access my mailbox via Outlook, and
    > > appear normally once moved out of the inbox.

    > I do not understand what you mean by 'and appear normally once moved out
    > of the Inbox'?

    What I meant was that if I use Outlook to move a message out of the
    inbox and into another folder, if I then access that folder in
    Thunderbird all messages appear as normal.

    > > The problem occurs intermittently, sometimes it is the oldest email in
    > > the inbox which appears to be duplicated, other times it seems quite
    > > random, I've not been able to spot a pattern.

    > > I've tried clearing out my inbox and reinstalling Thunderbird (I'm
    > > running the latest version, 2.0.0.12)

    > Reinstalling Thunderbird does not solve this or any other problem with
    > your data, contained in your Tb user profile.
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    > Melchert
    >
    > (MacOS 10.3.9 / Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 2.0)

  4. Re: Messages appearing as duplicates of other messages

    On 12-03-2008 11:09 CET, itspaulkelly composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 11 Mar, 20:16, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > > On 11-03-2008 11:04 CET, itspaulkelly composed this enchanting statement:
    > >
    > > > I've recently been encountering a problem with my IMAP mail account,
    > > > where new messages to my inbox appear as if they are copies of
    > > > messages that are already there - they have the same subject, sender,
    > > > time and date.

    > > Are you keeping all message in the inbox? Any message filters? Is
    > > adaptive Junk Mail Control enabled?

    > I keep an empty inbox, the only messages in there are ones that are
    > waiting to be read.
    > I use one filter, to move messages from a specific mailing list
    > directly to another folder.
    > Adaptive junk mail control is enabled.

    Fine. About the server settings: I would advise to check/set 'when I
    delete a message' to 'mark it as deleted'.
    You'll have to clean-up the inbox, and consequently remove the
    message(s) from the server, by compacting it.

    Note: a move from is handled las a delete from the Inbox.
    > > > All the messages are visible if I access my mailbox via Outlook, and
    > > > appear normally once moved out of the inbox.

    > > I do not understand what you mean by 'and appear normally once moved out
    > > of the Inbox'?

    > What I meant was that if I use Outlook to move a message out of the
    > inbox and into another folder, if I then access that folder in
    > Thunderbird all messages appear as normal.

    All right.