why can I not send in html? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on why can I not send in html? - Mozilla ; every time I compose a message or reply to a group I am always asked if I want to send in html, text or both. I have configured every setting in options to send in html. and the groups I ...

  1. why can I not send in html?

    every time I compose a message or reply to a group I am always asked
    if I want to send in html, text or both. I have configured every
    setting in options to send in html. and the groups I send to are html
    groups?

  2. Re: why can I not send in html?

    RABBI BUMGARTEN keyboarded, On 3/9/2008 6:28 PM :
    > every time I compose a message or reply to a group I am always asked
    > if I want to send in html, text or both. I have configured every
    > setting in options to send in html. and the groups I send to are html
    > groups?

    Even with user options set to compose in HTML, if a mail recipient is
    not checked off as prefering HTML you will get that prompt. For news
    groups, there is no way to denote a news server or any of it's available
    groups as HTML friendly. The USENET is still a bastion of plain text
    only. There have been Request For Enhancement (RFE)bugs to add some
    manner of denoting a news group as an HTML friendly group. While the
    new Mozilla Messaging Company is hiring more manpower than the
    Thunderbird project had under the prior Mozilla.Com arrangement, the
    number of code developers is still very small. So I would not expect new
    features for HTML News for quite some time.

    --
    Ron K.

  3. Re: why can I not send in html?

    Ron K. wrote:
    > RABBI BUMGARTEN keyboarded, On 3/9/2008 6:28 PM :
    >> every time I compose a message or reply to a group I am always asked
    >> if I want to send in html, text or both. I have configured every
    >> setting in options to send in html. and the groups I send to are html
    >> groups?

    > Even with user options set to compose in HTML, if a mail recipient is
    > not checked off as prefering HTML you will get that prompt. For news
    > groups, there is no way to denote a news server or any of it's available
    > groups as HTML friendly. The USENET is still a bastion of plain text
    > only. There have been Request For Enhancement (RFE)bugs to add some
    > manner of denoting a news group as an HTML friendly group. While the
    > new Mozilla Messaging Company is hiring more manpower than the
    > Thunderbird project had under the prior Mozilla.Com arrangement, the
    > number of code developers is still very small. So I would not expect new
    > features for HTML News for quite some time.

    If you are sending to a newsgroup, regardless if you have marked that
    group as HTML friendly or not, Thunderbird will always ASK you if you
    want to send in HTML.

    The markings as to who prefers HTML refer to email only, not newsgroups.
    Newsgroups are (according to Thunderbird at any rate) always plain text.

  4. Re: why can I not send in html?

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> RABBI BUMGARTEN keyboarded, On 3/9/2008 6:28 PM :
    >>> every time I compose a message or reply to a group I am always asked
    >>> if I want to send in html, text or both. I have configured every
    >>> setting in options to send in html. and the groups I send to are html
    >>> groups?

    >> Even with user options set to compose in HTML, if a mail recipient is
    >> not checked off as prefering HTML you will get that prompt. For news
    >> groups, there is no way to denote a news server or any of it's available
    >> groups as HTML friendly. The USENET is still a bastion of plain text
    >> only. There have been Request For Enhancement (RFE)bugs to add some
    >> manner of denoting a news group as an HTML friendly group. While the
    >> new Mozilla Messaging Company is hiring more manpower than the
    >> Thunderbird project had under the prior Mozilla.Com arrangement, the
    >> number of code developers is still very small. So I would not expect new
    >> features for HTML News for quite some time.
    >>

    > If you are sending to a newsgroup, regardless if you have marked that
    > group as HTML friendly or not, Thunderbird will always ASK you if you
    > want to send in HTML.
    >
    > The markings as to who prefers HTML refer to email only, not newsgroups.
    > Newsgroups are (according to Thunderbird at any rate) always plain text.

    could you kind gentlemen please explain then why I see pictures,
    icons and smileys in the groups I belong too?
    thank you for your replies and kindness

  5. Re: why can I not send in html?

    RABBI BUMGARTEN wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> RABBI BUMGARTEN keyboarded, On 3/9/2008 6:28 PM :
    >>> Even with user options set to compose in HTML, if a mail recipient is
    >>> not checked off as prefering HTML you will get that prompt. For news
    >>> groups, there is no way to denote a news server or any of it's
    >>> available groups as HTML friendly. The USENET is still a bastion of
    >>> plain text only. There have been Request For Enhancement (RFE)bugs
    >>> to add some manner of denoting a news group as an HTML friendly
    >>> group. While the new Mozilla Messaging Company is hiring more
    >>> manpower than the Thunderbird project had under the prior Mozilla.Com
    >>> arrangement, the number of code developers is still very small. So I
    >>> would not expect new features for HTML News for quite some time.
    >>>

    >> If you are sending to a newsgroup, regardless if you have marked that
    >> group as HTML friendly or not, Thunderbird will always ASK you if you
    >> want to send in HTML.
    >>
    >> The markings as to who prefers HTML refer to email only, not
    >> newsgroups. Newsgroups are (according to Thunderbird at any rate)
    >> always plain text.

    > could you kind gentlemen please explain then why I see pictures, icons
    > and smileys in the groups I belong too?
    > thank you for your replies and kindness

    Depends on the group. Some groups are HTML allowed. There are several
    where it's almost obligatory as well.

    Regardless of what Thunderbird 'thinks' you can always send a message in
    HTML, Thunderbird will Ask, but you just say send HTML anyway.

    Please don't send HTML to newsgroups unless you are sure that they
    accept such.

    Smileys are not HTML. Smileys are nothing more than plain text
    maniputlated by Thunderbird. If I type a : then a ) with nothng
    inbetween, then Thunderbird will show a smiley in that space, although
    all this is sent is the plain text : and )

    Thunderbird, and most other newsreaders also do other slight of hands
    tricks. Like converting http://this.is.not.a.link/but.looks like one to
    a link for you (even tho it isn't really a link as the example above
    confirms) or like mailto:dont.email.this@doesnt.exist.isp.com

    They, like smileys, are nothing but plain text, which newsreaders
    convert to other things for you.

  6. Re: why can I not send in html?

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > RABBI BUMGARTEN wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> If you are sending to a newsgroup, regardless if you have marked that
    >>> group as HTML friendly or not, Thunderbird will always ASK you if you
    >>> want to send in HTML.
    >>>
    >>> The markings as to who prefers HTML refer to email only, not
    >>> newsgroups. Newsgroups are (according to Thunderbird at any rate)
    >>> always plain text.

    >> could you kind gentlemen please explain then why I see pictures, icons
    >> and smileys in the groups I belong too?
    >> thank you for your replies and kindness

    > Depends on the group. Some groups are HTML allowed. There are several
    > where it's almost obligatory as well.
    >
    > Regardless of what Thunderbird 'thinks' you can always send a message in
    > HTML, Thunderbird will Ask, but you just say send HTML anyway.
    >
    > Please don't send HTML to newsgroups unless you are sure that they
    > accept such.
    >
    > Smileys are not HTML. Smileys are nothing more than plain text
    > maniputlated by Thunderbird. If I type a : then a ) with nothng
    > inbetween, then Thunderbird will show a smiley in that space, although
    > all this is sent is the plain text : and )
    >
    > Thunderbird, and most other newsreaders also do other slight of hands
    > tricks. Like converting http://this.is.not.a.link/but.looks like one to
    > a link for you (even tho it isn't really a link as the example above
    > confirms) or like mailto:dont.email.this@doesnt.exist.isp.com
    >
    > They, like smileys, are nothing but plain text, which newsreaders
    > convert to other things for you.

    thank you kind sir for the information. I do belong to html groups
    and was taken aback by this always asking me when sending html.

  7. Re: why can I not send in html?

    On 3/9/2008 2:28 PM, RABBI BUMGARTEN wrote:
    > every time I compose a message or reply to a group I am always asked
    > if I want to send in html, text or both. I have configured every
    > setting in options to send in html. and the groups I send to are html
    > groups?

    Think. You want to communicate something. Can it not be communicated
    without HTML formatting? What do you really add -- beyond prettiness --
    by using HTML formatting?

    --
    David E. Ross

    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much

  8. Re: why can I not send in html?

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > On 3/9/2008 2:28 PM, RABBI BUMGARTEN wrote:
    >> every time I compose a message or reply to a group I am always asked
    >> if I want to send in html, text or both. I have configured every
    >> setting in options to send in html. and the groups I send to are html
    >> groups?

    > Think. You want to communicate something. Can it not be communicated
    > without HTML formatting? What do you really add -- beyond prettiness --
    > by using HTML formatting?

    I am under the impression that one cannot send photos unless the group
    is for html. some friends of mine send photos in groups and I have
    not been able to. please advise me on this subject kind sir for I am
    by no means very savvy about computers. newsgroups is enough for one
    lesson.....thank you

  9. Re: why can I not send in html?

    RABBI BUMGARTEN wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> RABBI BUMGARTEN wrote:

    >>> could you kind gentlemen please explain then why I see pictures,
    >>> icons and smileys in the groups I belong too?
    >>> thank you for your replies and kindness

    >> Depends on the group. Some groups are HTML allowed. There are several
    >> where it's almost obligatory as well.
    >>
    >> Regardless of what Thunderbird 'thinks' you can always send a message
    >> in HTML, Thunderbird will Ask, but you just say send HTML anyway.
    >>
    >> Please don't send HTML to newsgroups unless you are sure that they
    >> accept such.
    >>
    >> Smileys are not HTML. Smileys are nothing more than plain text
    >> maniputlated by Thunderbird. If I type a : then a ) with nothng
    >> inbetween, then Thunderbird will show a smiley in that space, although
    >> all this is sent is the plain text : and )
    >>
    >> Thunderbird, and most other newsreaders also do other slight of hands
    >> tricks. Like converting http://this.is.not.a.link/but.looks like one
    >> to a link for you (even tho it isn't really a link as the example
    >> above confirms) or like mailto:dont.email.this@doesnt.exist.isp.com
    >>
    >> They, like smileys, are nothing but plain text, which newsreaders
    >> convert to other things for you.

    > thank you kind sir for the information. I do belong to html groups and
    > was taken aback by this always asking me when sending html.

    Dont send in html to most newsgroups or groups that don't allow such

  10. Re: why can I not send in html?

    RABBI BUMGARTEN wrote:
    > David E. Ross wrote:
    >> On 3/9/2008 2:28 PM, RABBI BUMGARTEN wrote:
    >>> every time I compose a message or reply to a group I am always asked
    >>> if I want to send in html, text or both. I have configured every
    >>> setting in options to send in html. and the groups I send to are html
    >>> groups?

    >> Think. You want to communicate something. Can it not be communicated
    >> without HTML formatting? What do you really add -- beyond prettiness --
    >> by using HTML formatting?
    >>

    > I am under the impression that one cannot send photos unless the group
    > is for html. some friends of mine send photos in groups and I have not
    > been able to. please advise me on this subject kind sir for I am by no
    > means very savvy about computers. newsgroups is enough for one
    > lesson.....thank you

    Most newsgroups frown on binary attachments (i.e. pictures, sounds,
    executables, etc.) due to their size, and the possibility that the true
    nature of the attachment could really be a virus or other malware. The
    fact that the message is formatted in HTML or p[lain text has nothing to
    do with the display of a picture. A picture in a message is either an
    attachment or a link to an image at some place on the web.

    For example, even though this message is NOT an HTML Message but is sent
    in plain text, I can link to a picture like this:
    http://usscouts.org/usscouts/mb/patch/mb001c.gif

    --
    Paul S. Wolf, P.E., FITE mailtoaul.s.wolf@alum.wpi.edu
    Past President, Great Lakes Region, Federation of Jewish Men's Clubs

  11. Re: why can I not send in html?

    Paul S Wolf wrote:
    > RABBI BUMGARTEN wrote:
    >> David E. Ross wrote:
    >>> Think. You want to communicate something. Can it not be communicated
    >>> without HTML formatting? What do you really add -- beyond prettiness --
    >>> by using HTML formatting?
    >>>

    >> I am under the impression that one cannot send photos unless the group
    >> is for html. some friends of mine send photos in groups and I have not
    >> been able to. please advise me on this subject kind sir for I am by no
    >> means very savvy about computers. newsgroups is enough for one
    >> lesson.....thank you

    > Most newsgroups frown on binary attachments (i.e. pictures, sounds,
    > executables, etc.) due to their size, and the possibility that the true
    > nature of the attachment could really be a virus or other malware. The
    > fact that the message is formatted in HTML or p[lain text has nothing to
    > do with the display of a picture. A picture in a message is either an
    > attachment or a link to an image at some place on the web.
    >
    > For example, even though this message is NOT an HTML Message but is sent
    > in plain text, I can link to a picture like this:
    > http://usscouts.org/usscouts/mb/patch/mb001c.gif

    excellent advice sir. thank you

+ Reply to Thread