Drafts folder - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Drafts folder - Mozilla ; I keep getting many copies of messages that I send showing up in the drafts folder. Can I get rid of this by turning off the Autosave setting?...

  1. Drafts folder

    I keep getting many copies of messages that I send showing up in the
    drafts folder. Can I get rid of this by turning off the Autosave setting?

  2. Re: Drafts folder

    On 3/9/2008 4:10 PM, sheldonlg wrote:
    > I keep getting many copies of messages that I send showing up in the
    > drafts folder. Can I get rid of this by turning off the Autosave setting?

    That would _probably_ stop them from being saved into the drafts folder. The
    same thing could also happen, though, if the message could not be sent for some
    reason. Being "Off Line", server not responding, proxy failure (Some anti-virus
    and web accelerator software).

    Go ahead and turn off autosave. If you are composing a long message you can
    always click the arrow next to "Save" and select "Draft" manually or hit
    [Alt] F A D (from within the compose window)

    If messages continue to appear in the "Drafts" folder you will then know that
    you need to troubleshoot a send issue. If not, maybe increasing the autosave
    interval will lessen the annoyance.

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  3. Re: Drafts folder

    G. R. Woodring wrote:
    > On 3/9/2008 4:10 PM, sheldonlg wrote:
    >> I keep getting many copies of messages that I send showing up in the
    >> drafts folder. Can I get rid of this by turning off the Autosave
    >> setting?

    > That would _probably_ stop them from being saved into the drafts
    > folder. The same thing could also happen, though, if the message could
    > not be sent for some reason. Being "Off Line", server not responding,
    > proxy failure (Some anti-virus and web accelerator software).
    >
    > Go ahead and turn off autosave. If you are composing a long message you
    > can always click the arrow next to "Save" and select "Draft" manually or
    > hit
    > [Alt] F A D (from within the compose window)
    >
    > If messages continue to appear in the "Drafts" folder you will then know
    > that you need to troubleshoot a send issue. If not, maybe increasing
    > the autosave interval will lessen the annoyance.

    An alternative to turning it off would be to slow down the autosave
    If you set it to a high enough value, you probably won't see the
    duplicates. I set my value to 30 min for example

    [Tools-->Options]*-->Composition [General]

    X Auto Save every [] minutes

    *varies by OS
    Linux
    [Edit-->Preferences]
    Mac
    [Thunderbird-->Preferences]
    Windows as above

  4. Re: Drafts folder

    On 09-03-2008 21:10 CET, sheldonlg composed this enchanting statement:
    > I keep getting many copies of messages that I send showing up in the
    > drafts folder. Can I get rid of this by turning off the Autosave
    > setting?

    I've tested this facility on my Mac. It is working as expected. The
    draft is refreshed, if I make any changes in the interval. After sending
    the draft has been removed, as usual.

    So, is it a bug? Could you try running Tb in its safe-mode? May be an
    extension is interfering.

    Meanwhile, I'll have a look in Bugzilla .

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  5. Re: Drafts folder

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 09-03-2008 21:10 CET, sheldonlg composed this enchanting statement:
    >> I keep getting many copies of messages that I send showing up in the
    >> drafts folder. Can I get rid of this by turning off the Autosave
    >> setting?

    > I've tested this facility on my Mac. It is working as expected. The
    > draft is refreshed, if I make any changes in the interval. After sending
    > the draft has been removed, as usual.
    >
    > So, is it a bug? Could you try running Tb in its safe-mode? May be an
    > extension is interfering.
    >
    > Meanwhile, I'll have a look in Bugzilla .

    As has been suggested either turn off Auto Save or lengthen the time it
    is set for.

    When Auto Save 'hits' the set time, it saves the current copy. If that
    copy is a duplicate of a previous save, it overwrites such. If that copy
    is not a duplicate, it creates a new save of the same name.

    For example: With Auto save set to 5 minutes...

    You write the first third of a letter in 5 minutes... a copy of that is
    saved for you.
    Any changes you make to the document in the next five minutes will be
    saved in a 'duplicate' in the drafts folder, in addition to the first
    five minute draft.
    You finish writing the message, and after five minutes, another
    'duplicate' appears in the draft folder, but this one has the finished
    version of the message. You end up with at least 3 different
    'duplicates' of the same message.

  6. Re: Drafts folder

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 09-03-2008 21:10 CET, sheldonlg composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> I keep getting many copies of messages that I send showing up in the
    >>> drafts folder. Can I get rid of this by turning off the Autosave
    >>> setting?

    >> I've tested this facility on my Mac. It is working as expected. The
    >> draft is refreshed, if I make any changes in the interval. After sending
    >> the draft has been removed, as usual.
    >>
    >> So, is it a bug? Could you try running Tb in its safe-mode? May be an
    >> extension is interfering.
    >>
    >> Meanwhile, I'll have a look in Bugzilla .

    > As has been suggested either turn off Auto Save or lengthen the time it
    > is set for.
    >
    > When Auto Save 'hits' the set time, it saves the current copy. If that
    > copy is a duplicate of a previous save, it overwrites such. If that copy
    > is not a duplicate, it creates a new save of the same name.
    >
    > For example: With Auto save set to 5 minutes...
    >
    > You write the first third of a letter in 5 minutes... a copy of that is
    > saved for you.
    > Any changes you make to the document in the next five minutes will be
    > saved in a 'duplicate' in the drafts folder, in addition to the first
    > five minute draft.
    > You finish writing the message, and after five minutes, another
    > 'duplicate' appears in the draft folder, but this one has the finished
    > version of the message. You end up with at least 3 different
    > 'duplicates' of the same message.

    Umm, I'm not so sure about that, as thats not the behavior I recall seeing.

    To be sure, I'm testing it now.

    I typed the first line then waited for it to auto-save. It did so with
    a time of 7:40AM.

    Then I typed the second line and again waited. When it auto-saved, I
    still have only one entry in the Drafts folder, but the time changed to
    7:45AM.

    I just checked again, still only the one entry, now timed 7:50AM.

    So, up to this point, there have been three auto-saves, but I've seen
    only a single entry in the Drafts folder, with the time updated to
    reflect the last save time.

    Now, whether the behavior you described is normal under MacOS or not, I
    don't know, as I'm testing this under WinXP. Although, the way I
    understand Melchert's post, is that it behaves as I described, on his
    Mac, in that he said "The draft is refreshed". I'm taking that as
    meaning he only sees one draft copy.

    --
    Alex K.

  7. Re: Drafts folder

    On 10-03-2008 11:59 CET, Moz Champion (Dan) composed this enchanting
    statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 09-03-2008 21:10 CET, sheldonlg composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> I keep getting many copies of messages that I send showing up in the
    >>> drafts folder. Can I get rid of this by turning off the Autosave
    >>> setting?

    >> I've tested this facility on my Mac. It is working as expected. The
    >> draft is refreshed, if I make any changes in the interval. After
    >> sending the draft has been removed, as usual.
    >>
    >> So, is it a bug? Could you try running Tb in its safe-mode? May be an
    >> extension is interfering.
    >>
    >> Meanwhile, I'll have a look in Bugzilla .
    >>

    > As has been suggested either turn off Auto Save or lengthen the time
    > it is set for.

    Talking to OP?

    > When Auto Save 'hits' the set time, it saves the current copy. If that
    > copy is a duplicate of a previous save, it overwrites such. If that
    > copy is not a duplicate, it creates a new save of the same name.

    Hmm, have you tested this scenario on MacOS, Windows or Unix?

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  8. Re: Drafts folder

    On 10-03-2008 13:49 CET, Alex K. composed this enchanting statement:

    Exactly!

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  9. Re: Drafts folder

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 10-03-2008 13:49 CET, Alex K. composed this enchanting statement:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >> the >>> drafts folder. Can I get rid of this by turning off the
    >> Autosave >>> setting?

    >> sending >> the draft has been removed, as usual.

    >> an >> extension is interfering.

    >> time it > is set for.

    >> that > copy is a duplicate of a previous save, it overwrites such. If
    >> that copy > is not a duplicate, it creates a new save of the same name.

    >> that is > saved for you.
    >> > Any changes you make to the document in the next five minutes will

    >> be > saved in a 'duplicate' in the drafts folder, in addition to the
    >> first > five minute draft.
    >> > You finish writing the message, and after five minutes, another >

    >> 'duplicate' appears in the draft folder, but this one has the finished
    >> > version of the message. You end up with at least 3 different >

    >> 'duplicates' of the same message.
    >>
    >> Umm, I'm not so sure about that, as thats not the behavior I recall
    >> seeing.
    >>
    >> To be sure, I'm testing it now.
    >>
    >> I typed the first line then waited for it to auto-save. It did so with
    >> a time of 7:40AM.
    >>
    >> Then I typed the second line and again waited. When it auto-saved, I
    >> still have only one entry in the Drafts folder, but the time changed to
    >> 7:45AM.
    >>
    >> I just checked again, still only the one entry, now timed 7:50AM.
    >>
    >> So, up to this point, there have been three auto-saves, but I've seen
    >> only a single entry in the Drafts folder, with the time updated to
    >> reflect the last save time.
    >>
    >> Now, whether the behavior you described is normal under MacOS or not, I
    >> don't know, as I'm testing this under WinXP. Although, the way I
    >> understand Melchert's post, is that it behaves as I described, on his
    >> Mac, in that he said "The draft is refreshed". I'm taking that as
    >> meaning he only sees one draft copy.
    >>

    > Exactly!

    The OP stated this
    "I keep getting many copies of messages that I send showing up in the
    drafts folder. Can I get rid of this by turning off the Autosave setting? "

    So whatever Melcharts problem is, it ISNT the same as the OPs

  10. Re: Drafts folder

    On 10-03-2008 11:08 CET, Melchert Fruitema composed this enchanting
    statement:
    > On 09-03-2008 21:10 CET, sheldonlg composed this enchanting statement:
    >> I keep getting many copies of messages that I send showing up in the
    >> drafts folder. Can I get rid of this by turning off the Autosave
    >> setting?

    > I've tested this facility on my Mac. It is working as expected. The
    > draft is refreshed, if I make any changes in the interval. After
    > sending the draft has been removed, as usual.
    >
    > So, is it a bug? Could you try running Tb in its safe-mode? May be an
    > extension is interfering.
    >
    > Meanwhile, I'll have a look in Bugzilla .

    Got it. See this one on multiple stored drafts in v2:

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert