color bars in compose window - Mozilla

This is a discussion on color bars in compose window - Mozilla ; when I read newsgroups there are several color bars on each side of the pane and I have to scroll to bottom to read message. how do I get rid of them? thanks...

  1. color bars in compose window

    when I read newsgroups there are several color bars on each side of the
    pane and I have to scroll to bottom to read message. how do I get rid of
    them? thanks

  2. Re: color bars in compose window

    Biff wrote:
    > when I read newsgroups there are several color bars on each side of the
    > pane and I have to scroll to bottom to read message. how do I get rid of
    > them? thanks

    Do you have an add-on installed that does that? I do. It's called "Quote
    Colors"

  3. Re: color bars in compose window

    Jeffinputnam wrote:
    > Biff wrote:
    >> when I read newsgroups there are several color bars on each side of
    >> the pane and I have to scroll to bottom to read message. how do I get
    >> rid of them? thanks

    > Do you have an add-on installed that does that? I do. It's called "Quote
    > Colors"

    no I don't have any add ons yet. I had to re install everything after
    several viruses.

  4. Re: color bars in compose window

    Biff keyboarded, On 3/7/2008 8:47 PM :
    > Jeffinputnam wrote:
    >> Biff wrote:
    >>> when I read newsgroups there are several color bars on each side of
    >>> the pane and I have to scroll to bottom to read message. how do I
    >>> get rid of them? thanks

    >> Do you have an add-on installed that does that? I do. It's called
    >> "Quote Colors"

    > no I don't have any add ons yet. I had to re install everything after
    > several viruses.

    Tb uses a default graphical mode to display the traditional ">"
    characters used to denote quoted content. To switch this to traditional
    mode use the Config Editor found in the Options/Preferences dialog and
    filter on quote then toggle this preference to false.

    mail.quoted_graphical

    --
    Ron K.

  5. Re: color bars in compose window

    On 3/7/2008 5:47 PM Biff scribbled:

    > Jeffinputnam wrote:
    >> Biff wrote:
    >>> when I read newsgroups there are several color bars on each side of
    >>> the pane and I have to scroll to bottom to read message. how do I get
    >>> rid of them? thanks

    >> Do you have an add-on installed that does that? I do. It's called "Quote
    >> Colors"

    > no I don't have any add ons yet. I had to re install everything after
    > several viruses.

    you have to add on your own add ons. In case you didn't know already...

  6. Re: color bars in compose window

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Biff keyboarded, On 3/7/2008 8:47 PM :
    >> Jeffinputnam wrote:
    >>> Do you have an add-on installed that does that? I do. It's called
    >>> "Quote Colors"

    >> no I don't have any add ons yet. I had to re install everything after
    >> several viruses.

    > Tb uses a default graphical mode to display the traditional ">"
    > characters used to denote quoted content. To switch this to traditional
    > mode use the Config Editor found in the Options/Preferences dialog and
    > filter on quote then toggle this preference to false.
    >
    > mail.quoted_graphical

    could you please explain this in laymen terms about how to get to the
    config editor? also I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to read
    any messages.

  7. Re: color bars in compose window

    On 3/7/2008 6:16 PM Biff scribbled:

    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Biff keyboarded, On 3/7/2008 8:47 PM :

    >>> no I don't have any add ons yet. I had to re install everything after
    >>> several viruses.

    >> Tb uses a default graphical mode to display the traditional ">"
    >> characters used to denote quoted content. To switch this to traditional
    >> mode use the Config Editor found in the Options/Preferences dialog and
    >> filter on quote then toggle this preference to false.
    >>
    >> mail.quoted_graphical

    didn't he say colored bars? look^ - yes he did...(god bless no trimmers)

    > could you please explain this in laymen terms about how to get to the
    > config editor?

    menu tools>options>advanced lower right is box for config editor...

    also I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to read
    > any messages.

    You have to scroll to the bottom to read the replies - you read the
    messages on the way down so you know what the discussion is about.
    This is called bottom posting, it is a setting in your email program
    which you can set, and it is preferred in this newsgroup.

  8. Re: color bars in compose window

    goodwin wrote:
    > On 3/7/2008 6:16 PM Biff scribbled:
    >
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> Biff keyboarded, On 3/7/2008 8:47 PM :

    >>> Tb uses a default graphical mode to display the traditional ">"
    >>> characters used to denote quoted content. To switch this to traditional
    >>> mode use the Config Editor found in the Options/Preferences dialog and
    >>> filter on quote then toggle this preference to false.
    >>>
    >>> mail.quoted_graphical

    > didn't he say colored bars? look^ - yes he did...(god bless no trimmers)
    >
    >> could you please explain this in laymen terms about how to get to the
    >> config editor?

    > menu???? tools>options>advanced lower right is box for config editor...
    >
    > also I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to read
    >> any messages.

    > You have to scroll to the bottom to read the replies - you read the
    > messages on the way down so you know what the discussion is about.
    > This is called bottom posting, it is a setting in your email program
    > which you can set, and it is preferred in this newsgroup.

    ok is the menu on the thunderbird or firefox browser?

  9. Re: color bars in compose window

    On 3/7/2008 10:43 PM Biff scribbled:

    > goodwin wrote:

    >>> could you please explain this in laymen terms about how to get to the
    >>> config editor?

    >> menu???? tools>options>advanced lower right is box for config editor...

    those question marks after the word menu must be a typo by me - sorry

    > ok is the menu on the thunderbird or firefox browser?

    I don't understand your question - the menu bar is on top of the screen
    in both programs. We are talking about Thunderbird here.
    The choice 'tools' is on the menu in Thunderbird. Options is a choice
    under tools, etc.
    From there, follow Ron's advice:

    Tb uses a default graphical mode to display the traditional ">"
    >> characters used to denote quoted content. To switch this to traditional
    >> mode use the Config Editor found in the Options/Preferences dialog and
    >> filter on quote then toggle this preference to false.

    The preference he refers to and what you are looking for is:

    mail.quoted_graphical

  10. Re: color bars in compose window

    *-* On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 21:16:28 -0500,
    *-* In Article n6GdnfhTYYGJakzanZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Biff wrote
    *-* About Re: color bars in compose window

    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Biff keyboarded, On 3/7/2008 8:47 PM :

    >>> no I don't have any add ons yet. I had to re install everything
    >>> after several viruses.

    >> Tb uses a default graphical mode to display the traditional ">"
    >> characters used to denote quoted content. To switch this to
    >> traditional mode use the Config Editor found in the
    >> Options/Preferences dialog and filter on quote then toggle this
    >> preference to false.

    >> mail.quoted_graphical

    > could you please explain this in laymen terms about how to get to
    > the config editor?

    Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> [General tab]

    Click on the "Config Editor..." button, and type "graphical" (without
    the quotation marks) into the "Filter:" box. Double-click on the
    "mail.quoted_graphical" preference to toggle it from "true" to
    "false".

    There's more required than just toggling that preference,
    however. For complete explanations of two slightly different methods
    see

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Quote_bars
    and
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbir...ers#Plain_text

    > also I have to scroll all the way to the bottom
    > to read any messages.

    That's natural with bottom-posting. There's an extension named
    QuoteCollapse that can "collapse" all or portions of the quoted text,
    removing all or parts of the quoted material from view, reducing or
    eliminating the amount of scrolling necessary. It's at:

    and there are instructions and other information at:

    http://quotecollapse.mozdev.org

    Among the other information is the fact that it doesn't work if
    graphical quoting is disabled according to the Mozillazine links
    above. :-( It looks as if you can have one or the other of your
    "wants", but not both. :-(

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  11. Re: color bars in compose window

    *-* On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:53:46 -0800,
    *-* In Article LOudnSiu3PBTTE_anZ2dnUVZ_oGjnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* goodwin wrote
    *-* About Re: color bars in compose window

    >>> menu???? tools>options>advanced lower right is box for config
    >>> editor...

    > those question marks after the word menu must be a typo by me -
    > sorry

    No, they weren't in your previous post. There was only a single
    space between "menu" and "tools". I frequently see multiple question
    marks like that in replies posted from Google, but Biff is using TB,
    so I don't know why they showed up. =-O

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  12. Re: color bars in compose window

    Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:53:46 -0800,
    > *-* In Article LOudnSiu3PBTTE_anZ2dnUVZ_oGjnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* goodwin wrote
    > *-* About Re: color bars in compose window

    >> those question marks after the word menu must be a typo by me -
    >> sorry

    > No, they weren't in your previous post. There was only a single
    > space between "menu" and "tools". I frequently see multiple question
    > marks like that in replies posted from Google, but Biff is using TB,
    > so I don't know why they showed up. =-O

    The EmulateGoogle!!1!!! add-on.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  13. Re: color bars in compose window

    Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 21:16:28 -0500,
    > *-* In Article n6GdnfhTYYGJakzanZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* Biff wrote
    > *-* About Re: color bars in compose window
    >
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> Biff keyboarded, On 3/7/2008 8:47 PM :

    >>> Tb uses a default graphical mode to display the traditional ">"
    >>> characters used to denote quoted content. To switch this to
    >>> traditional mode use the Config Editor found in the
    >>> Options/Preferences dialog and filter on quote then toggle this
    >>> preference to false.

    >>> mail.quoted_graphical

    >> could you please explain this in laymen terms about how to get to
    >> the config editor?

    > Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> [General tab]
    >
    > Click on the "Config Editor..." button, and type "graphical" (without
    > the quotation marks) into the "Filter:" box. Double-click on the
    > "mail.quoted_graphical" preference to toggle it from "true" to
    > "false".
    >
    > There's more required than just toggling that preference,
    > however. For complete explanations of two slightly different methods
    > see
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Quote_bars
    > and
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbir...ers#Plain_text
    >
    >> also I have to scroll all the way to the bottom
    >> to read any messages.

    > That's natural with bottom-posting. There's an extension named
    > QuoteCollapse that can "collapse" all or portions of the quoted text,
    > removing all or parts of the quoted material from view, reducing or
    > eliminating the amount of scrolling necessary. It's at:
    >
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/347
    >
    > and there are instructions and other information at:
    >
    > http://quotecollapse.mozdev.org
    >
    > Among the other information is the fact that it doesn't work if
    > graphical quoting is disabled according to the Mozillazine links
    > above. :-( It looks as if you can have one or the other of your
    > "wants", but not both. :-(
    >
    > Ken Whiton
    >
    > FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    thanks for all the info. I found the about:cong menu but not the Tools
    --> Options --> Advanced --> [General tab] Config Editor.
    it does not exist that way in either thunderbird or firefox.
    but it is all right now. thanks again to all replies.

  14. Re: color bars in compose window

    On 3/9/2008 12:16 AM Biff scribbled:

    > thanks for all the info. I found the about:cong menu but not the Tools
    > --> Options --> Advanced --> [General tab] Config Editor.
    > it does not exist that way in either thunderbird or firefox.
    > but it is all right now. thanks again to all replies.

    It doesn't exist in Firefox - in Firefox, you type about:config in the
    location bar manually.
    Firefox and Thunderbird are 2 separate programs - with 2 separate menus
    - if you are looking while in Firefox, you will not see Thunderbird's
    settings - you will see Firefox's.
    It /does/ exist in Tbird via the Options choice on the Tools menu
    *Unless* maybe you have an extension or theme installed that has
    broken/changed your menu bar in some way - do you have any extensions or
    themes you added on? If not, you should find it eventually following
    the directions already given.

  15. Re: color bars in compose window

    goodwin wrote:
    > On 3/9/2008 12:16 AM Biff scribbled:
    > "in Firefox, you type about:config in the
    > location bar manually."

    if you check back you will see this was never mentioned in any post
    it was always tools, options, advanced...
    that is why I could not find it. i am not complaining but I did not
    understand it.

    >> thanks for all the info. I found the about:cong menu but not the Tools
    >> --> Options --> Advanced --> [General tab] Config Editor.
    >> it does not exist that way in either thunderbird or firefox.
    >> but it is all right now. thanks again to all replies.
    >> >

    > It doesn't exist in Firefox - in Firefox, you type about:config in the
    > location bar manually.
    > Firefox and Thunderbird are 2 separate programs - with 2 separate menus
    > - if you are looking while in Firefox, you will not see Thunderbird's
    > settings - you will see Firefox's.
    > It /does/ exist in Tbird via the Options choice on the Tools menu
    > *Unless* maybe you have an extension or theme installed that has
    > broken/changed your menu bar in some way - do you have any extensions or
    > themes you added on? If not, you should find it eventually following
    > the directions already given.

  16. Re: color bars in compose window

    *-* On 09 Mar 2008 15:07:23 -0400,
    *-* In Article jIednbHXyKIaqEnanZ2dnUVZ_oGjnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Biff wrote
    *-* About Re: color bars in compose window

    > goodwin wrote:
    >> On 3/9/2008 12:16 AM Biff scribbled:

    >>> thanks for all the info. I found the about:cong menu but not the
    >>> Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> [General tab] Config Editor.
    >>> it does not exist that way in either thunderbird or firefox.
    >>> but it is all right now. thanks again to all replies.

    >> It doesn't exist in Firefox - in Firefox, you type about:config in
    >> the location bar manually.

    > if you check back you will see this was never mentioned in any post

    Why should it have been? This is the Thunderbird support group,
    and you had posted about a problem with Thunderbird. Why would you be
    trying (or even expecting) to resolve it in *Firefox*?

    > it was always tools, options, advanced...

    That's the way to get into the Config Editor (aka about:config)
    in *Thunderbird*.

    > that is why I could not find it. i am not complaining but I did not
    > understand it.

    >> Firefox and Thunderbird are 2 separate programs - with 2 separate
    >> menus - if you are looking while in Firefox, you will not see
    >> Thunderbird's settings - you will see Firefox's.
    >> It /does/ exist in Tbird via the Options choice on the Tools menu

    At least part of your problem appears to be that you were trying
    to follow instructions (that apply to Thunderbird) in Firefox rather
    than in Thunderbird. Unfortunately, that doesn't work. :-(

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  17. Re: color bars in compose window

    Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On 09 Mar 2008 15:07:23 -0400,
    > *-* In Article jIednbHXyKIaqEnanZ2dnUVZ_oGjnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* Biff wrote
    > *-* About Re: color bars in compose window
    >
    >> goodwin wrote:
    >>> On 3/9/2008 12:16 AM Biff scribbled:

    >>> It doesn't exist in Firefox - in Firefox, you type about:config in
    >>> the location bar manually.

    >> if you check back you will see this was never mentioned in any post

    > Why should it have been? This is the Thunderbird support group,
    > and you had posted about a problem with Thunderbird. Why would you be
    > trying (or even expecting) to resolve it in *Firefox*?
    >
    >> it was always tools, options, advanced...

    > That's the way to get into the Config Editor (aka about:config)
    > in *Thunderbird*.
    >
    >> that is why I could not find it. i am not complaining but I did not
    >> understand it.

    >>> Firefox and Thunderbird are 2 separate programs - with 2 separate
    >>> menus - if you are looking while in Firefox, you will not see
    >>> Thunderbird's settings - you will see Firefox's.
    >>> It /does/ exist in Tbird via the Options choice on the Tools menu

    > At least part of your problem appears to be that you were trying
    > to follow instructions (that apply to Thunderbird) in Firefox rather
    > than in Thunderbird. Unfortunately, that doesn't work. :-(
    >
    > Ken Whiton
    > sorry for all the trouble I have caused you.

    > FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

  18. Re: color bars in compose window

    On 3/9/2008 10:36 PM Ken Whiton scribbled:

    > *-* On 09 Mar 2008 15:07:23 -0400,
    > *-* In Article jIednbHXyKIaqEnanZ2dnUVZ_oGjnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* Biff wrote
    > *-* About Re: color bars in compose window
    >
    >> goodwin wrote:

    >>> Firefox and Thunderbird are 2 separate programs - with 2 separate
    >>> menus - if you are looking while in Firefox, you will not see
    >>> Thunderbird's settings - you will see Firefox's.
    >>> It /does/ exist in Tbird via the Options choice on the Tools menu

    > At least part of your problem appears to be that you were trying
    > to follow instructions (that apply to Thunderbird) in Firefox rather
    > than in Thunderbird. Unfortunately, that doesn't work. :-(
    >
    > Ken Whiton

    There an echo in here somewhere?

+ Reply to Thread