Editor help needed - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Editor help needed - Mozilla ; Is there any way to add a function to the editor? I'm a two-fingered typist and I'n forever getting teh wrong finger down first (see "teh", earlier). I recall that back in my emacs days, I had programed ^T to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Editor help needed

    Is there any way to add a function to the editor? I'm a two-fingered
    typist and I'n forever getting teh wrong finger down first (see "teh",
    earlier).

    I recall that back in my emacs days, I had programed ^T to swap the
    previous two characters (I think you do that in vi, also). Is there a
    way to do that in the TB editor?

    Thanks.

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you get a headache,
    do what it says on the aspirin bottle: "Take two aspirin" and "Keep away
    from children."
    --Author Unknown

  2. Re: Editor help needed

    The date and time was 3/4/2008 11:49 AM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Is there any way to add a function to the editor? I'm a two-fingered
    > typist and I'n forever getting teh wrong finger down first (see "teh",
    > earlier).
    >
    > I recall that back in my emacs days, I had programed ^T to swap the
    > previous two characters (I think you do that in vi, also). Is there a
    > way to do that in the TB editor?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi Pete,

    Nothing I'm aware of. But you could compose in your word processor. I
    use WordPerfect and its Quickcorrect feature allows commonly misspelled
    words to be replaced automatically. And then copy and paste it into the
    Compose window.

    Or get Mavis Beacon teaches typing and learn to use all your fingers. ;-)

    --
    Terry R.

  3. Re: Editor help needed

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 3/4/2008 11:49 AM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> Is there any way to add a function to the editor? I'm a two-fingered
    >> typist and I'n forever getting teh wrong finger down first (see "teh",
    >> earlier).
    >>
    >> I recall that back in my emacs days, I had programed ^T to swap the
    >> previous two characters (I think you do that in vi, also). Is there a
    >> way to do that in the TB editor?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Hi Pete,
    >
    > Nothing I'm aware of. But you could compose in your word processor. I
    > use WordPerfect and its Quickcorrect feature allows commonly misspelled
    > words to be replaced automatically. And then copy and paste it into the
    > Compose window.
    >
    > Or get Mavis Beacon teaches typing and learn to use all your fingers. ;-)

    Wouldn't spell check catch that?

  4. Re: Editor help needed

    Terry R. has written on 3/4/2008 5:05 PM:
    > The date and time was 3/4/2008 11:49 AM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> Is there any way to add a function to the editor? I'm a two-fingered
    >> typist and I'n forever getting teh wrong finger down first (see "teh",
    >> earlier).
    >>
    >> I recall that back in my emacs days, I had programed ^T to swap the
    >> previous two characters (I think you do that in vi, also). Is there a
    >> way to do that in the TB editor?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Hi Pete,
    >
    > Nothing I'm aware of. But you could compose in your word processor. I
    > use WordPerfect and its Quickcorrect feature allows commonly misspelled
    > words to be replaced automatically. And then copy and paste it into the
    > Compose window.
    >
    > Or get Mavis Beacon teaches typing and learn to use all your fingers. ;-)

    I think that's only good for people under 70! :-)

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Two cannibals are eating a clown. One says to the other: "Does this
    taste funny to you?"

  5. Re: Editor help needed

    Moz Champion (Dan) has written on 3/4/2008 6:56 PM:
    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you get a headache,
    do what it says on the aspirin bottle: "Take two aspirin" and "Keep away
    from children."
    --Author Unknown
    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 3/4/2008 11:49 AM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> Is there any way to add a function to the editor? I'm a two-fingered
    >>> typist and I'n forever getting teh wrong finger down first (see "teh",
    >>> earlier).
    >>>
    >>> I recall that back in my emacs days, I had programed ^T to swap the
    >>> previous two characters (I think you do that in vi, also). Is there a
    >>> way to do that in the TB editor?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Hi Pete,
    >>
    >> Nothing I'm aware of. But you could compose in your word processor. I
    >> use WordPerfect and its Quickcorrect feature allows commonly misspelled
    >> words to be replaced automatically. And then copy and paste it into the
    >> Compose window.
    >>
    >> Or get Mavis Beacon teaches typing and learn to use all your fingers. ;-)
    >>

    > Wouldn't spell check catch that?

    Oh, I catch it alright. I want an easy way to correct it.

  6. Re: Editor help needed

    The date and time was 3/4/2008 4:05 PM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. has written on 3/4/2008 5:05 PM:
    >> The date and time was 3/4/2008 11:49 AM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> Is there any way to add a function to the editor? I'm a two-fingered
    >>> typist and I'n forever getting teh wrong finger down first (see "teh",
    >>> earlier).
    >>>
    >>> I recall that back in my emacs days, I had programed ^T to swap the
    >>> previous two characters (I think you do that in vi, also). Is there a
    >>> way to do that in the TB editor?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Hi Pete,
    >>
    >> Nothing I'm aware of. But you could compose in your word processor. I
    >> use WordPerfect and its Quickcorrect feature allows commonly misspelled
    >> words to be replaced automatically. And then copy and paste it into the
    >> Compose window.
    >>
    >> Or get Mavis Beacon teaches typing and learn to use all your fingers. ;-)

    > I think that's only good for people under 70! :-)

    Not the first resolve. ;-)

    --
    Terry R.

  7. Re: Editor help needed

    Terry R. has written on 3/4/2008 8:22 PM:
    > The date and time was 3/4/2008 4:05 PM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >

    >>> Hi Pete,
    >>>
    >>> Nothing I'm aware of. But you could compose in your word processor. I
    >>> use WordPerfect and its Quickcorrect feature allows commonly misspelled
    >>> words to be replaced automatically. And then copy and paste it into the
    >>> Compose window.
    >>>
    >>> Or get Mavis Beacon teaches typing and learn to use all your
    >>> fingers. ;-)

    >> I think that's only good for people under 70! :-)

    > Not the first resolve. ;-)

    I don't have WP but I may try that. What do you do for replies?

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Two cannibals are eating a clown. One says to the other: "Does this
    taste funny to you?"

  8. Re: Editor help needed

    The date and time was 3/4/2008 5:35 PM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. has written on 3/4/2008 8:22 PM:
    >> The date and time was 3/4/2008 4:05 PM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> I think that's only good for people under 70! :-)

    >> Not the first resolve. ;-)

    > I don't have WP but I may try that. What do you do for replies?

    I'm a good typist so I don't use that method. I was just trying to work
    a reasonable solution for your situation and using a word processor for
    typing and auto-corrections seem like the best choice. It might require
    leaving your word processor open all the time, but once you get used to
    it, it should only take a few seconds to accomplish, using Ctrl-A to
    select all the corrected text in the word processor and Ctrl-V to paste
    it into the compose window.

    --
    Terry R.

  9. Re: Editor help needed

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Terry R. has written on 3/4/2008 5:05 PM:
    >> The date and time was 3/4/2008 11:49 AM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> Is there any way to add a function to the editor? I'm a two-fingered
    >>> typist and I'n forever getting teh wrong finger down first (see "teh",
    >>> earlier).
    >>>
    >>> I recall that back in my emacs days, I had programed ^T to swap the
    >>> previous two characters (I think you do that in vi, also). Is there a
    >>> way to do that in the TB editor?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Hi Pete,
    >>
    >> Nothing I'm aware of. But you could compose in your word processor. I
    >> use WordPerfect and its Quickcorrect feature allows commonly misspelled
    >> words to be replaced automatically. And then copy and paste it into the
    >> Compose window.
    >>
    >> Or get Mavis Beacon teaches typing and learn to use all your fingers. ;-)

    > I think that's only good for people under 70! :-)

    For the example you give: With vi, which I've used as an editor for my
    news client[s], I've just created an abbr that replaces " teh " with "
    the ". ObTB -> You can't do that with TB.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  10. Re: Editor help needed

    On 3/4/2008 1:49 PM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Is there any way to add a function to the editor? I'm a two-fingered
    > typist and I'n forever getting teh wrong finger down first (see "teh",
    > earlier).
    >
    > I recall that back in my emacs days, I had programed ^T to swap the
    > previous two characters (I think you do that in vi, also). Is there a
    > way to do that in the TB editor?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Do you have the spell-checker turned on
    (Tools>Options>Composition>Spelling)?

    If you have it spell-checking as you type the misspelled words will be
    underlined in red and right-clicking on a word will show you correct
    alternatives. Your example, "hte" will give you "the" as a choice.
    Probably as easy as going back to the problem characters and doing a
    ctrl-T. The spell check before sending will also give you the correct
    options.

  11. Re: Editor help needed

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Is there any way to add a function to the editor? I'm a two-fingered
    > typist and I'n forever getting teh wrong finger down first (see "teh",
    > earlier).
    >
    > I recall that back in my emacs days, I had programed ^T to swap the
    > previous two characters (I think you do that in vi, also). Is there a
    > way to do that in the TB editor?
    >
    > Thanks.

    ^t has swapped two characters in emacs forever. You didn't program it.

    Meantime, how 'bout cha improve on your two fingered technique?
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible

  12. Re: Editor help needed

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) has written on 3/4/2008 6:56 PM:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 3/4/2008 11:49 AM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> Is there any way to add a function to the editor? I'm a two-fingered
    >>> typist and I'n forever getting teh wrong finger down first (see "teh",
    >>> earlier).
    >>>
    >>> I recall that back in my emacs days, I had programed ^T to swap the
    >>> previous two characters (I think you do that in vi, also). Is there a
    >>> way to do that in the TB editor?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Hi Pete,
    >>
    >> Nothing I'm aware of. But you could compose in your word processor. I
    >> use WordPerfect and its Quickcorrect feature allows commonly misspelled
    >> words to be replaced automatically. And then copy and paste it into the
    >> Compose window.
    >>
    >> Or get Mavis Beacon teaches typing and learn to use all your

    fingers. ;-)

    > Wouldn't spell check catch that?

    Oh, I catch it alright. I want an easy way to correct it.

    Please place your signature block BELOW the messages if you please.
    Otherwise the entire message is deleted in the reply

    I have copied and pasted the portion above

    What can be easier?
    You type 'teh'
    Spell Checker suggests the right word is 'the'
    click replace.

  13. Re: Editor help needed

    Bernie has written on 3/5/2008 1:21 AM:
    > On 3/4/2008 1:49 PM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any way to add a function to the editor? I'm a two-fingered
    >> typist and I'n forever getting teh wrong finger down first (see "teh",
    >> earlier).
    >>
    >> I recall that back in my emacs days, I had programed ^T to swap the
    >> previous two characters (I think you do that in vi, also). Is there a
    >> way to do that in the TB editor?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Do you have the spell-checker turned on
    > (Tools>Options>Composition>Spelling)?

    Yse :-)
    > If you have it spell-checking as you type the misspelled words will be
    > underlined in red and right-clicking on a word will show you correct
    > alternatives.

    It did underline in red but offered no alternatives. Thx,

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Patriotism is supporting your country at all times, and your government
    when it deserves it.
    --Mark Twain

  14. Re: Editor help needed

    Andrew DeFaria has written on 3/5/2008 2:54 AM:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any way to add a function to the editor? I'm a two-fingered
    >> typist and I'n forever getting teh wrong finger down first (see "teh",
    >> earlier).
    >>
    >> I recall that back in my emacs days, I had programed ^T to swap the
    >> previous two characters (I think you do that in vi, also). Is there a
    >> way to do that in the TB editor?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > ^t has swapped two characters in emacs forever. You didn't program it.
    >
    > Meantime, how 'bout cha improve on your two fingered technique?

    How'd you like a one-fingered response? ;-)

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    That's OK; I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway
    --Anonymous Bumper Sticker

  15. Re: Editor help needed

    Moz Champion (Dan) has written on 3/5/2008 2:57 AM:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) has written on 3/4/2008 6:56 PM:
    >>

    > > Terry R. wrote:
    > >> The date and time was 3/4/2008 11:49 AM, and on a whim, Pete Holsberg
    > >> pounded out on the keyboard:

    > >> Hi Pete,
    > >>
    > >> Nothing I'm aware of. But you could compose in your word processor. I
    > >> use WordPerfect and its Quickcorrect feature allows commonly misspelled
    > >> words to be replaced automatically. And then copy and paste it into the
    > >> Compose window.
    > >>
    > >> Or get Mavis Beacon teaches typing and learn to use all your

    > fingers. ;-)
    > >>

    > > Wouldn't spell check catch that?

    > Oh, I catch it alright. I want an easy way to correct it.
    >

    > Please place your signature block BELOW the messages if you please.

    That's where I have it.
    > What can be easier?
    > You type 'teh'
    > Spell Checker suggests the right word is 'the'

    No it doesn't!

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Maxim for the Internet Age: The e-mail of the species is deadlier than
    the mail...

  16. Re: Editor help needed

    The date and time was 3/4/2008 11:57 PM, and on a whim, Moz Champion
    (Dan) pounded out on the keyboard:

    > What can be easier?
    > You type 'teh'
    > Spell Checker suggests the right word is 'the'
    > click replace.

    Auto correct in a word processor is easier, especially if the person is
    a lousy typist and makes a lot of errors.

    --
    Terry R.

  17. Re: Editor help needed

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) has written on 3/5/2008 2:57 AM:
    >> Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>
    >>> Moz Champion (Dan) has written on 3/4/2008 6:56 PM:

    >> "teh",

    >> there a

    >> misspelled

    >> into the

    >> fingers. ;-)
    >> >>

    >> > Wouldn't spell check catch that?

    >> Oh, I catch it alright. I want an easy way to correct it.
    >>

    >> Please place your signature block BELOW the messages if you please.
    >>

    > That's where I have it.
    >> What can be easier?
    >> You type 'teh'
    >> Spell Checker suggests the right word is 'the'
    >>

    > No it doesn't!

    Peter, take a look at your reply in this thread dated 3/4/08 7:42
    Your signature block is ABOVE the quote, which is why I mentioned it.
    It may have been an anomaly for that one post (I noted you had not done
    so in other posts)

    I type teh (which is the specific error you mentioned for the)

    If I do a spellcheck now
    it catches three things
    Your name 'Holsberg'
    The word 'teh'
    and 'spellcheck'

    And recomends the following in each instance

    Jarlsberg
    the
    spell check

    Note: I have purposedly selected when questioned about the
    above three errors, so as to leave them extant in the thread. But, here,
    my spell check suggest 'the' for the word 'teh'

  18. Re: Editor help needed

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Bernie has written on 3/5/2008 1:21 AM:
    >> On 3/4/2008 1:49 PM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there any way to add a function to the editor? I'm a two-fingered
    >>> typist and I'n forever getting teh wrong finger down first (see
    >>> "teh", earlier).
    >>>
    >>> I recall that back in my emacs days, I had programed ^T to swap the
    >>> previous two characters (I think you do that in vi, also). Is there a
    >>> way to do that in the TB editor?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Do you have the spell-checker turned on
    >> (Tools>Options>Composition>Spelling)?
    >>

    > Yse :-)
    >> If you have it spell-checking as you type the misspelled words will be
    >> underlined in red and right-clicking on a word will show you correct
    >> alternatives.

    > It did underline in red but offered no alternatives. Thx,

    Then something is wrong with your spell checker then, mine ALWAYS has a
    suggestion, even it it makes no sense

    i.e. Jarlsberg for Holsberg

  19. Re: Editor help needed

    Moz Champion (Dan) has written on 3/6/2008 2:53 AM:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >
    >> It did underline in red but offered no alternatives. Thx,
    >>

    > Then something is wrong with your spell checker then, mine ALWAYS has a
    > suggestion, even it it makes no sense
    >
    > i.e. Jarlsberg for Holsberg

    It will make suggestions when you click "Send" IF you have "Check
    spelling when you click 'send'" enabled!!

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

  20. Re: Editor help needed

    Moz Champion (Dan) has written on 3/6/2008 2:52 AM:
    > Peter, take a look at your reply in this thread dated 3/4/08 7:42
    > Your signature block is ABOVE the quote, which is why I mentioned it.
    > It may have been an anomaly for that one post (I noted you had not done
    > so in other posts)

    If it is (and I don't doubt you), it's because TB put it there and I did
    not catch it before sending. Why would TB do that if I have not changed
    any config settings??

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with
    chocolate...
    --Charles Dickens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast