Update 2.0.12 without disabling theme? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Update 2.0.12 without disabling theme? - Mozilla ; Okay, .... so Thunderbird is telling me I should update to 2.0.12. At the same time, it's telling me that it will disable the Nautilus theme, which I had to "alter" (unzip jar file - change version numbers somewhere), so ...

  1. Update 2.0.12 without disabling theme?

    Okay, .... so Thunderbird is telling me I should update to 2.0.12. At
    the same time, it's telling me that it will disable the Nautilus theme,
    which I had to "alter" (unzip jar file - change version numbers
    somewhere), so I could use it. Rather than go through that again (or
    figure out how to use Nightly Tester Tools) ... is there a way that I
    can simply tell Thunderbird to *not* disable that theme?

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

  2. Re: Update 2.0.12 without disabling theme?

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > Okay, .... so Thunderbird is telling me I should update to 2.0.12. At
    > the same time, it's telling me that it will disable the Nautilus theme,
    > which I had to "alter" (unzip jar file - change version numbers
    > somewhere), so I could use it. Rather than go through that again (or
    > figure out how to use Nightly Tester Tools) ... is there a way that I
    > can simply tell Thunderbird to *not* disable that theme?

    Not *just* that theme. You can, however, disable compatibility checking
    entirely, at your own risk, of course.

    Before you do that, though, have you checked for an updated version of
    the theme?

    Is the Nautilus theme you're referring to, the same one that was renamed
    to Nautipolis? This one?:

    "May 27, 2004: [...] Also Nautilus will be renamed to Nautipolis for
    Firefox (to align with Nautipolis)"
    http://www.geocities.com/alfredkayser/mozilla/index.htm

    If not, and there is no update, then see this page for instructions on
    how to disable compatibility checking:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_extensions

    --
    Alex K.

  3. Re: Update 2.0.12 without disabling theme?

    Alex K. wrote:
    > Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, .... so Thunderbird is telling me I should update to 2.0.12. At
    >> the same time, it's telling me that it will disable the Nautilus theme,
    >> which I had to "alter" (unzip jar file - change version numbers
    >> somewhere), so I could use it. Rather than go through that again (or
    >> figure out how to use Nightly Tester Tools) ... is there a way that I
    >> can simply tell Thunderbird to *not* disable that theme?
    >>

    > Not *just* that theme. You can, however, disable compatibility checking
    > entirely, at your own risk, of course.
    >
    > Before you do that, though, have you checked for an updated version of
    > the theme?

    Yes. I think it's dead in the water (for years).
    http://digiboy.deviantart.com/art/Na...-0-7-0-9572640

    But I really like the icons and minimalist appearance.
    http://cycletourist.com/temp/temp_photos.php

    > Is the Nautilus theme you're referring to, the same one that was renamed
    > to Nautipolis? This one?:
    >
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/1494

    You got me excited there for a second .... but ... no. Those graphics
    are far bolder and rich in color (distracting, to me).

    > "May 27, 2004: [...] Also Nautilus will be renamed to Nautipolis for
    > Firefox (to align with Nautipolis)"
    > http://www.geocities.com/alfredkayser/mozilla/index.htm
    >
    > If not, and there is no update, then see this page for instructions on
    > how to disable compatibility checking:
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_extensions

    Well, shoot ... that's easy enough. I'll just set that to false,
    upgrade, and set it back to true.

    Thanks.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Nothing he's got he really needs
    Twenty first century schizoid man.
    ***********************************

  4. Re: Update 2.0.12 without disabling theme?

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > Alex K. wrote:
    >
    >> Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >>

    >>> Okay, .... so Thunderbird is telling me I should update to 2.0.12. At
    >>> the same time, it's telling me that it will disable the Nautilus theme,
    >>> which I had to "alter" (unzip jar file - change version numbers
    >>> somewhere), so I could use it. Rather than go through that again (or
    >>> figure out how to use Nightly Tester Tools) ... is there a way that I
    >>> can simply tell Thunderbird to *not* disable that theme?
    >>>

    >> Not *just* that theme. You can, however, disable compatibility checking
    >> entirely, at your own risk, of course.
    >>
    >> Before you do that, though, have you checked for an updated version of
    >> the theme?
    >>

    > Yes. I think it's dead in the water (for years).
    > http://digiboy.deviantart.com/art/Na...-0-7-0-9572640
    >
    > But I really like the icons and minimalist appearance.
    > http://cycletourist.com/temp/temp_photos.php
    >

    >> Is the Nautilus theme you're referring to, the same one that was renamed
    >> to Nautipolis? This one?:
    >>
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/1494
    >>

    > You got me excited there for a second .... but ... no. Those graphics
    > are far bolder and rich in color (distracting, to me).
    >

    >> "May 27, 2004: [...] Also Nautilus will be renamed to Nautipolis for
    >> Firefox (to align with Nautipolis)"
    >> http://www.geocities.com/alfredkayser/mozilla/index.htm
    >>
    >> If not, and there is no update, then see this page for instructions on
    >> how to disable compatibility checking:
    >>
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_extensions
    >>

    > Well, shoot ... that's easy enough. I'll just set that to false,
    > upgrade, and set it back to true.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I spoke to soon. I followed the instructions:
    - Set "extensions.checkCompatibility" to "false."

    But when I manually go to Help - Check For Updates - I am told that, not
    only will the Theme be disabled, but now it has added that it will
    disable an extension, too (Edit HTML source). It wasn't even doing
    that before I made that one little change in about.config (I even
    restarted Thunderbird.)

    And indeed. When I set that back to false, Thunderbird does not include
    "Edit HTML Source" in the list of items to be disabled. Only Nautilus
    is there again. That's squirrelly behavior. I'm not sure what to think.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Nothing he's got he really needs
    Twenty first century schizoid man.
    ***********************************

  5. Re: Update 2.0.12 without disabling theme?

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >> Alex K. wrote:

    >>> Not *just* that theme. You can, however, disable compatibility checking
    >>> entirely, at your own risk, of course.
    >>>
    >>> Before you do that, though, have you checked for an updated version of
    >>> the theme?
    >>>

    >> Yes. I think it's dead in the water (for years).
    >> http://digiboy.deviantart.com/art/Na...-0-7-0-9572640
    >>
    >> But I really like the icons and minimalist appearance.
    >> http://cycletourist.com/temp/temp_photos.php
    >>

    >>> Is the Nautilus theme you're referring to, the same one that was renamed
    >>> to Nautipolis? This one?:
    >>>
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/1494
    >>>

    >> You got me excited there for a second .... but ... no. Those graphics
    >> are far bolder and rich in color (distracting, to me).
    >>

    >>> "May 27, 2004: [...] Also Nautilus will be renamed to Nautipolis for
    >>> Firefox (to align with Nautipolis)"
    >>> http://www.geocities.com/alfredkayser/mozilla/index.htm
    >>>
    >>> If not, and there is no update, then see this page for instructions on
    >>> how to disable compatibility checking:
    >>>
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_extensions
    >>>

    >> Well, shoot ... that's easy enough. I'll just set that to false,
    >> upgrade, and set it back to true.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > I spoke to soon. I followed the instructions:
    > - Set "extensions.checkCompatibility" to "false."
    >
    > But when I manually go to Help - Check For Updates - I am told that, not
    > only will the Theme be disabled, but now it has added that it will
    > disable an extension, too (Edit HTML source). It wasn't even doing
    > that before I made that one little change in about.config (I even
    > restarted Thunderbird.)
    >
    > And indeed. When I set that back to false, Thunderbird does not include
    > "Edit HTML Source" in the list of items to be disabled. Only Nautilus
    > is there again. That's squirrelly behavior. I'm not sure what to think.

    Hmm, it would appear then, that you would need to hack the install.rdf
    file again.

    OK, I just tried that.

    I downloaded the theme, opened the .jar file with 7-Zip, changed the
    maxVersion in install.rdf to 2.0.0.*, then saved it back into the .jar file.

    Installed it by opening Tools -> Add-ons, and then dragging and dropping
    the .jar file onto the window, then restarted TB.

    The results were ugly, to say the least.

    For each button on the toolbar, the icon image consisted of three rows
    of icons, of *every* icon image, the whole collection, apparently.
    Quite a mess, to say the least.

    Going back to the Add-ons window, I see a message under that theme, that
    additional items are required, and that the theme has been disabled.
    But it clearly has not, its still there, in its broken state.

    There is what appears to be a link, for 'More information', however,
    clicking it produces no action or information whatsoever. On the other
    hand, clicking on Help -> Thunderbird Help does invoke FF, opening to
    the TB help page. So it appears that the link function, to call the
    browser, *is* working properly.

    Dunno whats going on, other than an incompatibility.

    Of course, as always, your mileage may vary.

    --
    Alex K.

+ Reply to Thread