Junk Mail Controls and Gmail IMAP - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Junk Mail Controls and Gmail IMAP - Mozilla ; Hi, I am using Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.12, with Gmail IMAP set up. My question is, how can I get Thunderbird's Junk Mail Controls to recognize e-mails that are in the Junk Mail folder as Junk? My training filters are very ...

  1. Junk Mail Controls and Gmail IMAP

    Hi,
    I am using Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.12, with Gmail IMAP set up. My
    question is, how can I get Thunderbird's Junk Mail Controls to
    recognize e-mails that are in the Junk Mail folder as Junk? My
    training filters are very well-defined, in my opinion, so I'm not
    overly concerned about false negatives. As it stands now, I have to
    manually run the JMC to get the messages in the Junk folder tagged as
    junk.

    Is there a way to get it to mark everything that gets put in the Junk
    folder as Junk? I think that the problem lies with the fact that the
    e-mails are not downloaded, but simply the headers, but I may be
    wrong.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Junk Mail Controls and Gmail IMAP

    Jesse Hathaway wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am using Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.12, with Gmail IMAP set up. My
    > question is, how can I get Thunderbird's Junk Mail Controls to
    > recognize e-mails that are in the Junk Mail folder as Junk? My
    > training filters are very well-defined, in my opinion, so I'm not
    > overly concerned about false negatives. As it stands now, I have to
    > manually run the JMC to get the messages in the Junk folder tagged as
    > junk.
    >
    > Is there a way to get it to mark everything that gets put in the Junk
    > folder as Junk? I think that the problem lies with the fact that the
    > e-mails are not downloaded, but simply the headers, but I may be
    > wrong.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    By using filters you are denying JMC the chance to 'see' the messages,
    evaluate them, and to learn from them.

    I suggest removing ALL 'spam' etc filters from the application and just
    simply using JMC to filter. On my computer, JMC catches over 200 spam
    for every one I see in my inbox, with no false positives in over eight
    months now

  3. Re: Junk Mail Controls and Gmail IMAP

    Okay, I know I'm using the wrong terminology here. By JMC, I mean
    Junk Mail Controls. By "training filters," I meant what JMC uses to
    evaluate messages. The problem is, messages that are downloaded from
    Gmail's Junk folder are just ignored, and I have to manually go to
    Tools > Run Junk Mail Controls on Folder to get it to mark things as
    junk. When I was using POP3 Gmail, I never had to do this. JMC
    looked through the Junk folder just fine.

    On Mar 3, 6:19 pm, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    wrote:
    > Jesse Hathaway wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I am using Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.12, with Gmail IMAP set up. My
    > > question is, how can I get Thunderbird's Junk Mail Controls to
    > > recognize e-mails that are in the Junk Mail folder as Junk? My
    > > training filters are very well-defined, in my opinion, so I'm not
    > > overly concerned about false negatives. As it stands now, I have to
    > > manually run the JMC to get the messages in the Junk folder tagged as
    > > junk.

    > > Is there a way to get it to mark everything that gets put in the Junk
    > > folder as Junk? I think that the problem lies with the fact that the
    > > e-mails are not downloaded, but simply the headers, but I may be
    > > wrong.

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > By using filters you are denying JMC the chance to 'see' the messages,
    > evaluate them, and to learn from them.
    >
    > I suggest removing ALL 'spam' etc filters from the application and just
    > simply using JMC to filter. On my computer, JMC catches over 200 spam
    > for every one I see in my inbox, with no false positives in over eight
    > months now

  4. Re: Junk Mail Controls and Gmail IMAP

    Jesse Hathaway wrote:
    > Okay, I know I'm using the wrong terminology here. By JMC, I mean
    > Junk Mail Controls. By "training filters," I meant what JMC uses to
    > evaluate messages. The problem is, messages that are downloaded from
    > Gmail's Junk folder are just ignored, and I have to manually go to
    > Tools > Run Junk Mail Controls on Folder to get it to mark things as
    > junk. When I was using POP3 Gmail, I never had to do this. JMC
    > looked through the Junk folder just fine.
    >
    > On Mar 3, 6:19 pm, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    > wrote:
    >> Jesse Hathaway wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I am using Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.12, with Gmail IMAP set up. My
    >>> question is, how can I get Thunderbird's Junk Mail Controls to
    >>> recognize e-mails that are in the Junk Mail folder as Junk? My
    >>> training filters are very well-defined, in my opinion, so I'm not
    >>> overly concerned about false negatives. As it stands now, I have to
    >>> manually run the JMC to get the messages in the Junk folder tagged as
    >>> junk.
    >>> Is there a way to get it to mark everything that gets put in the Junk
    >>> folder as Junk? I think that the problem lies with the fact that the
    >>> e-mails are not downloaded, but simply the headers, but I may be
    >>> wrong.
    >>> Thanks in advance.

    >> By using filters you are denying JMC the chance to 'see' the messages,
    >> evaluate them, and to learn from them.
    >>
    >> I suggest removing ALL 'spam' etc filters from the application and just
    >> simply using JMC to filter. On my computer, JMC catches over 200 spam
    >> for every one I see in my inbox, with no false positives in over eight
    >> months now

    Please bottom post in these newsgroups. That is, quote previous
    messaages (or portions thereof) then write your reply, such as I have
    done. Thank you for your consideration in this regard.

    If Gmail is doing a good job of moving the emails for you, then why
    worry about it? If, as you indicate, you are not worried about false
    postives, then why even bother training JMC with messages that the
    'other' system (Gmails own) caught?

    Personally, I turn OFF all server side spam filtering, if there is an
    option to do so. With that 'out of the way' I get all spam delivered to
    my inbox, from which JMC does the rest. As I stated previously, only one
    in more than 200 gets 'through' and stays in my inbox, the rest are
    moved to my Junk folder by JMC.

    Running any 'other' spam filter in addition to JMC simply makes JMC less
    effective, so I don't recommend doing so. The simple answer for your
    dilemma is to cease Gmails filtering, relying solely on JMC to do the task

+ Reply to Thread